• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Am I the only one that though the the first had a terrible storyline?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDudeAbides

Don't get me wrong, I like the first one a lot. When I first got it I adored it because of it's strong emotional punch and mixture of dark atmosphere and a child-like innocence (the pseudo-suicide scene and the ending made me break a tear, no joke). But playing it again, now that the emotional effect has worn out, I realized that it really is quite bad. Game-play wise it's better than 2, no contest; you actually had to use strategy and the bosses were challenging (Oh God the Sephiroth battle!)

Whilst the second wasn't perfect (Maleficent turning into a joke, the Heartless inexplicably returning), at the very least it sported more intricacy and had some meat on it's bones. Diz's want for revenge (or "revenggggggggggggge" as he puts it), the Organization's motives and want to become human, all felt more thoughtful and gave the game a sense of realism that the first game didn't have. It felt like every plot point in the first game could be described with some lame vague cliche like "he gave into the darkness," or "he lost his heart." It didn't feel real to me. I nearly puked out vomit when possesed Riku told Sora in his serious dark voice that Kairi's heart was inside Sora. Yikes, could you get anymore cliche? And the balance between Square and Disney was way off kilter. The only Square characters were the three main ones, Sora, riku and Kairi and even they struck me as more Disney-eque to me. Ansem was a mature threatening Square villain, but by the time he showed up after hoards of Disney characters it was too little too late.

A lot of people say the first had a better story and I simply don't see it. I still love the first one because of it's unqiue blend of Final Fantasy and Disney motifs, but the story doesn't really start star until the second one (haven't played Chain of Memories)

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
Don't get me wrong, I like the first one a lot. When I first got it I adored it because of it's strong emotional punch and mixture of dark atmosphere and a child-like innocence (the pseudo-suicide scene and the ending made me break a tear, no joke). But playing it again, now that the emotional effect has worn out, I realized that it really is quite bad. Game-play wise it's better than 2, no contest; you actually had to use strategy and the bosses were challenging (Oh God the Sephiroth battle!)
it lacked "emotional punch" cause u've beat it who knows how many times.

Whilst the second wasn't perfect (Maleficent turning into a joke, the Heartless inexplicably returning), at the very least it sported more intricacy and had some meat on it's bones. Diz's want for revenge (or "revenggggggggggggge" as he puts it), the Organization's motives and want to become human, all felt more thoughtful and gave the game a sense of realism that the first game didn't have. It felt like every plot point in the first game could be described with some lame vague cliche like "he gave into the darkness," or "he lost his heart." It didn't feel real to me. I nearly puked out vomit when possesed Riku told Sora in his serious dark voice that Kairi's heart was inside Sora. Yikes, could you get anymore cliche? And the balance between Square and Disney was way off kilter. The only Square characters were the three main ones, Sora, riku and Kairi and even they struck me as more Disney-eque to me. Ansem was a mature threatening Square villain, but by the time he showed up after hoards of Disney characters it was too little too late.
their r no words to describe that kind of understatement.

A lot of people say the first had a better story and I simply don't see it. I still love the first one because of it's unqiue blend of Final Fantasy and Disney motifs, but the story doesn't really start star until the second one (haven't played Chain of Memories)
sad to hear it.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
You arent looking at the story right if you say that. The heartless arent just some little shadow. They are demons end of story. They try to kill people and kidnap their heart to continue their existance (Its more complicated than that but this is just part of it) Go back through Hollow Bastion and End of the World.

NumberVIII

I think I have to agree with you. I played the first one with my sister (it was her first time) a few months ago, and I found myself laughing at how ridiculous some of the lines were. Not saying the other games don't have ridiculous lines too, but..idk. They were just funny. And pre-pubescent Sora still makes me laugh. I find it much easier to take kh2 Sora seriously by virtue of his voice alone. xD

TheDudeAbides

it lacked "emotional punch" cause u've beat it who knows how many times.

Exactly my point. Once the emotional veneer wore off, I saw how dissapointing the story was. I no longer tear up in the Godfather when Michael is holding his father's hand in the hospital bed or jump off my seat when he shoots Sollozo, but I still apreciate the story on an intellectual level on multiple viewings. Get me?

their r no words to describe that kind of understatement.

Certainly you exaggerate.

sad to hear it

Why's that? Please enlighten me.

TheDudeAbides

You arent looking at the story right if you say that. The heartless arent just some little shadow. They are demons end of story. They try to kill people and kidnap their heart to continue their existance (Its more complicated than that but this is just part of it) Go back through Hollow Bastion and End of the World.

I agree that Hallow Bastion and on had some great story bits. I still love Sora's suicide scene and the ending makes the Aerith death scene in FF7 look emotionally hallow by comparison, but considering everything before that, it like too little too late for me.

Last edited:

αsiя

space coke
no
Kh1 has a amazing story
maybe its because i still havent grown up yet

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
no
Kh1 has a amazing story
maybe its because i still havent grown up yet

I feel the same way too.

@TheDudeAbides - Double posting = :(
Use the edit button.

And welcome to the forums.

TheBrotherhood

Alot of people think the first kh had a horrible storyline, but the way i see it is that they had to introduce the story somehow then all the could do was improve on it

SilverCyrus

Sorta depends on how you look at it, It sorta does have a cliche' story.

RPG wise maybe its not the best, but look at other games in the industry, there not much better if at all.

After COM, and KH2, Kh1 had more meaning.
But all in all as far as KH goes, i would say it has the worst story, but its still not to bad.

SE and Disney probably didnt really exactly know who they would bring in with KH, If a kids game is to complicated than chances are they wont get it.
I know alot of parents who bought there younger kids KH because it looked kiddish.

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
I loved KH1 story. It has the most dramatic and original plot of any of the games, IMO.

siegleeagle

I think that the big scenes and plot points in the first game are the best so far, but the story in general in 2 is better in my opinion. However 2 should have had better huge scenes like the sora suicide scene. Though I do have to say that the ending to the second game were they are falling into the water and the piano version of sanctuary plays makes me cry. That song makes me cry in general when its that version.

Kiwi +

Push Ethan Page!
Awards
hmmm.. I actually liked the story in KH 1 the most.. Out of all them so far. :/

bladed asassin

well... personally i think the first one bar none had the best story. i Felt that they interacted the disney characters in the main plot very well, but in the second one, besides mickie, donald goofie, they didn't have alot of effect. i mean wth, did malifacent do in the 2 one worth noting.
The biggest difference in the 2 are the first one revolves around basically a bunch of kids who are gifted with these powers, there kids and will act like kids, but the second one there all more like teens and have grown up some so i guess that plays a role, but if you like a darker storyline then kh2 will prolly be better for you.

ThePromise

Tired
Awards
αsiя;4856746 said:
im still in shock that sora's best friend sort of betrayed him (well thats what i thought when i was little)

Best friend betrayal, shocking!?

Anakin and Obi Wan..Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 ..Cod: Modern Warfare 2 ..

...Yep..shocking. xD After seeing betrayal in so many movies and games, its lost its flavor ..you can see it coming so easily now =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back