• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Alternate chat programs (aka. things that aren't the well known ones)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Thought I'd start this since I'm sure not everyone is on Skype, AIM, etc.

Anyhoos, I'm also on LINE; username is maryadavies (I actually use that for a certain LS I'm in in FF XIV); I'm considering picking up the KH stickers if I get extra cash.

Oh! and I'm on Discord as well; username is Elizara (would you believe I found that b/c of XIV? Ha.)

So! anyone else?

Kounelli

Awards
I am primarily a Skype user. I've had yahoo and aim, but I would talk to most of my friends on MSN messenger so I just moved over to Skype when they closed down.

I've heard of discord but eeeeh it's hard for me to keep up with one. I miss meebo though, able to log in from anywhere on any account :(

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I'm a Skype and Whatsapp user. I was considering getting LINE but none of my friends use that really. :s

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Kou; I use Trillian for a multi-IM client but the problem is, it does not support Skype any more, so it doesn't support everything. Oh and don't lay the blame on them. It's actually MS's fault there. It does support all the other chat protocols though.

Discord..Well, from what I've seen, it's a weird beast. It actually started as a alternative to things like Mumble and Teamspeak (Oh and also Skype; some groups use Skype if they're small); the difference is you do not have to make a server to make a group chat. (As in server that costs money to set up; they call the channels servers but it's free) It's now a true intersystem chat thingy, you don't even need to install it to use it since it has a web based app as well.

Kounelli

Awards
Ah that's a shame that Skype isn't supported. Oh well, at least I could probably use it for the others.

I frequent some NationStates game forums and Discord is all they primarily use and they claim that it's "so much better than Skype" and I'm just adamant about using something completely different when I already have 50+ contacts in my Skype xD
Of course, that can be attributed to pure laziness on my part haha.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Yeah you could.

Oh and for those that don't know; LINE has a windows app now. I don't know if it's just for Windows 8/10 or if it can be used on Windows 7. I use that all the time. You could prolly find it if you search; I didn't know if anyone was aware of that.

LingeringVanitas

Viber, Franz, Pidgin[also known as Adium. And Miranda IM. Those are some third party ones I know of.

ok sunny

Awards
I basically use Skype and sometimes Discord. I used to use Viber when I lived in Finland so I could talk to my dad, but I hadn't used that since then. I also have kik still downloaded but I rarely ever use that .-.
If anyone here knows what Oovoo is, it seems like it's making a return to the mainstream

Zul

Awards
I don't like to touch anything other than discord and e-mail these days.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
As for me, I finally gave in lol. Well, with the KH stickers for LINE.

I don't think I can get a screen of the Windows version, but if you're curious to what I mean: KH LINE stickers

That LS is going to have a surprise. Oh and I would be willing to start a group for KH Insider for LINE..but I seem to be the only one that uses it!

Oh and I believe those stickers were reported a while back by this site if I'm not mistaken. ^^

Website
www.freewebs.com
Yahoo chat shut down in 2012 and now they've updated the messenger client to the point that it's almost non-navigable.

Last I checked, MSN Messenger > Windows Live Messenger, had merged with Skype. And as we all know, Skype is how people get hacked. So that's a no go as well.

Is AIM still alive and kicking? Chatrooms?

I use Paltalk nowadays to keep up with friends and to join chatrooms, but it's the only legitimate service I've found.

Are there any mainstream services for people to casually chat or roleplay in? I'd rather avoid IRC since it's not a very pleasant interface.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Yahoo's barely working, at least I can tell you though Trillian. They are planning on shutting Yahoo IM completely down by the end of the month, so there's that. As it is, Yahoo Messenger tends to disconnect on me once a day since last month. (It almost always reconnects by itself, though.)

AIM's still kicking, so is ICQ. Google Talk also is still around.

I DO use skype, never have been hacked so I don't think it's the protocol/program at all. I do use common sense though and I don't install their extension.

Anyway I think the legit services for that stuff other than IRC are Discord and LINE I think, but there isn't a huge KH Insider presence on LINE. Just me and my FFXIV shell (CriminalKittyCult; No I didn't make the name. It's a FC alliance LS for small FCs so we can get stuff done.), which isn't much at all.

Last edited:
Website
www.freewebs.com
Yahoo's barely working, at least I can tell you though Trillian. They are planning on shutting Yahoo IM completely down by the end of the month, so there's that. As it is, Yahoo Messenger tends to disconnect on me once a day since last month. (It almost always reconnects by itself, though.)

AIM's still kicking, so is ICQ. Google Talk also is still around.

I DO use skype, never have been hacked so I don't think it's the protocol/program at all. I do use common sense though and I don't install their extension.

Anyway I think the legit services for that stuff other than IRC are Discord and LINE I think, but there isn't a huge KH Insider presence on LINE. Just me and my FFXIV shell (CriminalKittyCult; No I didn't make the name. It's a FC alliance LS for small FCs so we can get stuff done.), which isn't much at all.

I guess I'm done with Yahoo then. I'll try AIM and ICQ out soon and see how I like them. But Skype shows your IP to other people, so you can be hacked or DDoSed. I was a Super Moderator on powerbot.org, a large Runescape cheating website, and a large amount of the hacks came from people using Skype with one another.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I have too many messaging apps. I don't use Skype frequently, and it is my least favorite of the messaging programs, but it still serves its purpose. The newspaper that I work at uses GroupMe to communicate. It's pretty simple, but serves its purpose. Facebook messenger has the most customization and works phenomenally.

My favorite is probably Discord. It's good for for groups of any size, but works best with larger groups. The ability to have multiple voice and text channels can be a lifesaver in huge groups. It takes some of Facebook messenger's best features, like previewing links and videos, and implements them into its own service. I've used both the app for it and the web browser version, and both work great.

fei93

Website
www.youtube.com
I'm mostly using LINE and whatssap (you can add feliciafei93 for my LINE ID). I have skype account, but almost never use it. And also, since I'm active at Facebook, so I have installed Facebook messenger at my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back