• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Alpha Dream, the devs behind M&L, have filed for bankruptcy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Man, I loved the Mario and Luigi series. If nothing works out to save them, maybe Nintendo would be open to teaming back up with SE for a remake/new Super Mario RPG.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
There was something fishy going on with them. Dream Team was essentially the last full-on new M&L game. Paper Jam seemingly existed for the sake of recycling assets from both DT & Sticker Star (no Paper Luigi in the party was nonsensical but hey, there was no Luigi is PM:SS either). & then it was nothing but remakes since then. No truly new game, no jump to the Switch. Guess they were running on fumes.

Man, I loved the Mario and Luigi series. If nothing works out to save them, maybe Nintendo would be open to teaming back up with SE for a remake/new Super Mario RPG.
AlphaDream's staff was many of the guys that made SMRPG. It wouldn't be the same with modern S-E.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
AlphaDream's staff was many of the guys that made SMRPG. It wouldn't be the same with modern S-E.

Yeah I know. Considering the circumstances, maybe some of the original team would be up for returning. Idk what terms they left on though.

Either way, we need a Mario RPG on the Switch. I’d love to see one with an original story and art direction.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
A couple of points:

* That tweet is awesome, LOL.

* Nintendo can buy them?

* Cynical: now Paper Mario can go back to its RPG roots, seeing as how the excuse was that "tHeRe's aLRdEaDy a mARiO RPG" from Intelligent Systems

Also: I was optimistic about them, but I really think this is Alpha Dream's... Omega :cool:

Anyhow, I was honestly expecting a M&L game on Switch. But again, honestly, the last good M&L game they made was Bowser's Inside Story, and if you count the Superstar Saga remake, then that as well. Although I like Partners in Time, it's radically different to what SSS has established, and it has a change of tone. Dream Team was unnecessarily long, that Paper Mario crossover I had entirely forgotten existed, and apparently, BiS' remake is the worst performing game they've ever made.

---

Edit:

According to some research in Reddit, AlphaDream was involved in the development of a mobile game alongside another company. The mobile game was a disaster. This company was also involved in a Disgaea mobile game, and it was also a fiasco. There was also evidence of AlphaDream working on a current gen tech video game. It looks like the rising dev costs and failed project caused their demise.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I would love a Peach & Daisy RPG or Wario & Waluigi RPG on Switch.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
While I am sad about this as it loved the Mario and Luigi series, I am not surprised. The bowser’s inside story remake was a huge flop.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
While I am sad about this as it loved the Mario and Luigi series, I am not surprised. The bowser’s inside story remake was a huge flop.
Remaking BiS on 3DS was a pretty ill-conceived move considering 3DS is backwards compatible with the original DS version. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have played the original BiS on 3DS at some point. Apparently, that remake was being considered for Switch but they decided against it. Not the smartest move.

Back