• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Album(s) of the Year

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaywa

A Picasso Reality
Because it's near enough the end of the year to make this a worthwhile list.

Basically give a list of the best album(s) you've acquired over the year which were released this year and say what makes them AoTY worthy

1) Thrice - The Alchemy Index Vols III+IV Air and Earth - Lyrically awesome, check. Musically awesome, check. Fapgasmic to the highest degree, check.

2) Flobots - Fight With Tools - If at the start of the year someone would tell me that an alternative hip-hop/rock album would make my AotY list I would've probably laughed. Needless to say this has turned out to be one of the joys of the year, dramatic, politically charged lyrics infused with some great musical composition (especially the spanish guitar and jazz influences) = a remarkably solid album.

3) The Out_Circuit - Pierce the Empire With A Sound - With it's official release date in February (was on Lujo for last Xmas but we'll ignore that), Nathan Burke and friends have once again have created a musical masterpiece. Intense, spiritual and just utterly compelling throughout. One of the best albums you've never heard.

4) Rise Against - Appeal to Reason - While not quite reaching the level of awesomeness that Siren Song of the Counter Culture provided, this remains a fantastic album and thoroughly engaging, even if Tim McGraw's vocals become a little annoying towards the end (but then again i've been saying that about practically every Rise Against album). Great in short bursts.

5) Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV - Utterly brilliant and engaging throughout, probably my favourite instrumental album since One by Night Is Invisible ages ago.

6) City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love - Got into Dallas' solo project through the myspace transmissions, and have remained fixated since. More varied musically than 'Sometimes' but maintaining a brilliantly personal touch in the lyrics department = great.

7) One Day As A Lion - ST - Admittedly this is an EP but it's an incredibly solid one that seemingly infuses some of the best bits from Rage and the Mars Volta into one superb package. Makes brilliant workout music as well

gogogo

Last edited:

Massive Attack

Dial 'M' for 'Motherfucker'
Awards
No particular order.

Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
So, I was kind of disappointed by the second half of Of Montreal's previous album, 'Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?' after it totally changed from somewhat brooding to playfully funky. But I enjoyed this album, even though it's in the same style as the latter half of the previous release and is a concept album about a middle aged African American who had undergone two sex changes and had been in a 70's funk band named 'Arousal'. The freak funk thing is probably the best thing to come out of the past few years in a creative sense. Everyone else is sticking to the boundaries with their post punk inspired indie rock, but meanwhile these guys are tearin' tha roof off dat sucka (Parliament reference YEAH). Also the lyrics are priceless 'WE CAN DO IT SOFTCORE IF YOU WANT, BUT YOU SHOULD KNOW I TAKE IT BOTH WAYS', 'OH I'M JUST A BLACK SHEMALE', 'I'M A MUTHAFUCKIN' HEADLINER, BITCH YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT". Despite my praise, it took a while to get into and it is definitely a hit or miss.

The Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath
Not as good as Deloused, but great none the less. The bonus tracks are pretty awesome with covers of songs by bands such as Pink Floyd (Syd Barrett), Sugarcubes and Nick Drake. And for me, songs from this album somehow get stuck in your head even if you weren't paying much attention to them (Ilyena is guilty here).

Portishead - Third
Dummy is better, but this is still good. Machine Gun pumps me the fuck up mang.

The Fall - Imperial Wax Solvent
More than 30 years on and at the age of 51 (which he referenced in the song '50 Year Old Man'), Mark E Smith still has it. He's still the same grumpy fucker he was when he was 25 and their live shows are still (accidentally) excellent.

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
Shut the fuck up, it's a good album.

Ladytron - Velocifero
DERS A GHOST IN ME. THAT WANTS TO SAY I'M SORREE.

Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
This album is hilarious.

Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing
Only drone I can seem to get into. Nice.

Air France - No Way Down
The only good thing that I downloaded on a whim after seeing it on Pitchfork. Easy, summery, tropical sounding electronic music.

Mr. Scruff - Ninja Tuna
(Ohoho you spy the pun? Geddit? Ninja Tuna = Ninja Tune, tohohoho)
But yeah. This album only came out in October, but after spying it at my local HMV, I looked the guy up, being enticed by the adorably simple artwork. Anyway, very good electronica/trip hop with jazzy elements. Check it out.

Pretty generic list.

Last edited:

Chris

I share this account w/ my mom lmao
Awards
in during everyone just picks their own favorite bands

Dance Gavin Dance - Untitled
I am not one to immediately love new music from a band that I have liked in the past, but this album blew me away and took a shit in my mouth. I mean that in the most musically pleasing way possible. Kurt Travis took the lead vocals and Jon Mess contributed his distorted vocal prowess to create an album that anyone can love. Will Swan has proven himself to be a guitar god, blowing my mind on almost every track. This album covers everything from Hardcore, to Pop, Indie, Alternative, Math Rock, Screamo, Salsa, and even some Psychedelic shit. Any band can claim they are "unique" or "different" to try to attract fans, but I highly doubt any band will constantly amaze you in the way this band does. Anyone can appreciate this album, and through all of the lineup changes, the band has shown that they can still rock your balls off and rip you apart with choruses that just beg you to sing along. They are still Dance Gavin Dance.

also, I should be a fucking car salesman

Chris

I share this account w/ my mom lmao
Awards
i'm pretty sure that's the point. It's not like someone's going to bring up an album they know is good but they don't like.

This is true. But, what I meant was, even if someone's favorite band's album clearly wasn't the best, most people still would post it.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Well out of the bands I listen to I really only saw one stand out.

Appeal to Reason - Rise Against
Their last album was good, but at times you skip a song because it got to the point that it was too much to hear. Their new album I have to say actually makes me want to listen to every song again and again. From the beginning of the album you start rocking out with that Rise Against sound. Of course their sound has slightly changed since they first appeared on "The Unraveling" and it isn't shown more than in the song of "Hero of War." The song is slower from what is known from Rise Against, but the picture the song paints is amazing, and just provides your mind with another great moment in music.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
in during everyone just picks their own favorite bands

Dance Gavin Dance - Untitled
I am not one to immediately love new music from a band that I have liked in the past, but this album blew me away and took a shit in my mouth. I mean that in the most musically pleasing way possible. Kurt Travis took the lead vocals and Jon Mess contributed his distorted vocal prowess to create an album that anyone can love. Will Swan has proven himself to be a guitar god, blowing my mind on almost every track. This album covers everything from Hardcore, to Pop, Indie, Alternative, Math Rock, Screamo, Salsa, and even some Psychedelic shit. Any band can claim they are "unique" or "different" to try to attract fans, but I highly doubt any band will constantly amaze you in the way this band does. Anyone can appreciate this album, and through all of the lineup changes, the band has shown that they can still rock your balls off and rip you apart with choruses that just beg you to sing along. They are still Dance Gavin Dance.

also, I should be a fucking car salesman

That being said, I still preferred 'Downtown Battle Mountain'

My favourite albums of 2008 are:

The Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath
Awesome and epic.

TV on the Radio - Dear Science
A great album, my favourite song is 'Family Tree' but its just a great album.

Cage the Elephant - Self titled
Just a funky album really, not as good as the others stated but its a really good album.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Lecrae - Rebel
Christian Rapper. Every song has meaning and a very very fresh beat. His style is great and so is his message.

Young Jeezy - Recession
Great lyricist along with amazing beats = one of the best CDs of 08

Trimms

Moving Mountains - Foreword EP

NIN - The Slip

NIN - Ghosts I-IV

And much looking forward to the new Manchester Orchestra album!

T

TheBiggestKHFan

Here's my four albums of the year: T-Pain-Thr33 Ringz, T.I.-Paper Trail, Lil Wayne-Tha Carter III, and Kanye West-808s & Heartbreak.

Killa DeX

Circa Old Valendian 706
My albums are Young Jeezy: The Recession, Lil Wanye: Tha CarterIII, The Game: Lax, T-pain: Thr33 Ringz, T.I.: Paper Trail and last my new Fav R&B album Joe: Joe Thomas New Man

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Appeal and Reason by Rise Against
Got me into Rise Against quite a bit.

Tha Carter 3 by Lil Wayne
Just fucking amazing

Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends by Coldplay
I just love that album

Very generic list.

Daniel Faraday

you fucking...FUCK
TV on the Radio - Dear Science
A great album, my favourite song is 'Family Tree' but its just a great album.

Most over hyped album ever. It was good, but not great.

So copypasted from facebook with some modest changes.

1. Deerhunter - Microcastle / The Dodos - Visiter

Poppy shoegaze and metal and african drumming inspired psychadelic folk rock? Easily the top candidates for album of the year.

2. The Hold Steady – Stay Positive
More of the same, but that's hardly a bad thing.

3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Dig Lazarus Dig!!! / Portishead - Third
Two long running artists put out fantastic albums, one warm and distinctly American (even though Cave's australian lol wut) and the other cold and isolated, both brilliant.

4. Wolf Parade - At Mt. Zoomer / Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight
Two hugely overlooked albums, both indie rock at their best.

5. Girl Talk – Feed the Animals
Brilliant hip-hop sampling hundreds of songs and proving to be infinitely more intelligent and competant than anything else on the market today.

6. M83 – Saturdays = Youth
If you liked any part of the 80s, you'll love this album.

7. Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
Sigur Ros get poppy for a while and then settle down afterwards. Just because it's a Sigur Ros album this one qualifies almost automatically.

8. Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
Maybe overhyped, but meh. Folk rock continues it's revivial with Fleet Foxes' debut, a lush, ancient sounding work that just oozes beauty.

9. No Age – Nouns
Noise rock + pop texture = instant success

10. Of Montreal – Skeletal Lamping
It may have gone on too long, and it may have had a few duds, but come on. It's fucking Of Montreal. Come onnn.

Last edited:

Rich

Come out, Tigerlily
Awards
Website
rairich.blogspot.com
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

Can't quite put my finger on it, but this album just amazed me for some reason. I think it's very creative and catchy.

H.A.A.R.P. - Muse

Muse made a live album and named it after a top secret government project. What else needs to be said?

Oracular Spectacular - MGMT

Again, a really catchy and creative album that caught my ear. I like the influence they took for it.

Perfect Symmetry - Keane

I loved it, they took a lot of influence from 80s music and did a really good job with it. Spiralling is the shit.

Seventh Tree - Goldfrapp

I loved the folktronica sound they went for on this album. The addition of acoustic instruments to their sparkly electronic music was a really good combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back