• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ai?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK the Fat

Do you believe that Artificial Intelligence can exist? If so, what exactly makes it artificial intelligence?

Iwrestledabearonce

Δdrug gangΔ
Awards
Yes, I do believe that Artifical Intelligence can exist.

And these are the reaons WHY it is A.I.

1. It doesn't live. It's something that doesn't have life, an object.
2. It posesses intelligence that rivals, or even exceeds that of a living being.

Ashes Remnant

It's All Crazy! It's All False!
^He just answered your question. And to further this, AI is used in Video Games, it is what makes them fun. XD

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
What do you mean it isn't alive? Define "life" for us then, if you will.

Iwrestledabearonce

Δdrug gangΔ
Awards
Okay. I'll go ahead and answer your questions.

Pho's - Well, an object cannot hold life, can it? I'm saying that something that is not alive (meaning, that it does not posess what makes human's be) holds a type of intelligence similar to that of a human.

And for a direct answer, Life = The force that makes humans. . . live. That make us exist. That make us. Matter forms us, but life holds us up; essentially, it is the crutch that our body will always hold, until the crutch eventually breaks, and thus, we die.

Master T's - Life begins when a child is born; when a flower or tree sprout from the ground; OR other being comes to. For babies, when the sperm enters the "egg", life begins to "form", meaning that it is in the process of beginning to flourish. When the baby is birthed into the world, it's life "begins"; thus, the preparing for it is finished, and it is now complete.

Both questions answered. Any other's for me?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
What do you mean it isn't alive? Define "life" for us then, if you will.

Do they not take Biology in Puerto Rico or something?

Living things have many characteristics, such as movement, sensitivity, development, complexity, reproduction, and of course all living things die. A.I. does not. All living things are characterized by cellular organization, metabolism, homeostasis, reproduction, and heredity. A.I. doesn't. It's not alive.

OR other being comes to. For babies, when the sperm enters the "egg", life begins to "form"

It doesn't really "form" it was always there. It's just two gametes cells that were already alive forming together, and mass-dividing to create another lifeform.

Iwrestledabearonce

Δdrug gangΔ
Awards
^Well, it's safe to assume that both of those do indeed posess life; it's just. . . incomplete. Both things posess life, but it isn't a "complete" life, so to speak.

I guess I should say this: They both posess life, but neither posess enough to make another lifeform by themselves; they essentially need "more life" to create another lifeform, and gain that from one another.

I don't think that was very clear >_<

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
^Well, it's safe to assume that both of those do indeed posess life; it's just. . . incomplete. Both things posess life, but it isn't a "complete" life, so to speak.

I guess I should say this: They both posess life, but neither posess enough to make another lifeform by themselves; they essentially need "more life" to create another lifeform, and gain that from one another.

I don't think that was very clear >_<

So then life doesn't start when the zygote forms.

None of you have defined what makes life; you've just listed characteristics of lifeforms.

CK the Fat

"A.I. already exists. Thread over."

Every computer man has created esentially runs on code, 1 and 0s that give it a bunch of functions, and the computer is limited to what it is given... artificial intelligence goes beyond simple code, including the ability to adapt to situations with tools it has little or no prexisting code... basically, to synthsize itself.

It's like having a computer "thinking outside the box..." so far machine can recreate basic human reactions to simple senses, but scientists have been unable to really make a machine capable of exceeding itself.

Another part of AI is whether or not the computer has conciousness of itself...

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Every computer man has created esentially runs on code, 1 and 0s that give it a bunch of functions, and the computer is limited to what it is given... artificial intelligence goes beyond simple code, including the ability to adapt to situations with tools it has little or no prexisting code... basically, to synthsize itself.

It's like having a computer "thinking outside the box..." so far machine can recreate basic human reactions to simple senses, but scientists have been unable to really make a machine capable of exceeding itself.

Another part of AI is whether or not the computer has conciousness of itself...

This is another topic entirely. You don't want A.I., you want sentience.

KrytenKoro

Bronze Member
Life: Something that can grow/adapt/evolve, however you want to word it. Change is the keyword here. Reproduction (mules), movement (barnacles), sensitivity (highly injured human), death (kind of rules out life, hmm?) are each unnecessary.

Complexity? That one I will leave up to however biologists want to define it. As far as I can tell, the only overriding common factor is the growth/response combination.

A.I. does not. All living things are characterized by cellular organization, metabolism, homeostasis, reproduction, and heredity. A.I. doesn't. It's not alive.
As mentioned above, these are characteristics of life, and at that, only of life on Earth. Watch more Star Trek, and reproduction fails to apply to a LOT of living things.

Sentience:
Sentience refers to possession of sensory organs, the ability to feel or perceive

Don't the most basic of robots have this? I'm quite sure I programmed a lego robot with this when I was 12. Why would this be a problem?

Now if, on the other hand, you are considering sapience (Shame on you Square! You know it's called Homo Sapiens!) , or even just self-awareness, then we have another discussion entirely.

It is entirely possible to have an artificial entity that can "learn". It is harder, but still possible, to create one that will learn and apply this knowledge to seperate but similar situations (judgment), as humans do (sort of like being able to work Matlab while using Paint). The problem is whether the invention will ever be aware that is doing this...the robotics shangri-la of self-awareness.

The ironic component of this whole discussion, however? There is no way to show that humans are themselves self-aware! Any argument used to revoke the robot's self-awareness based on it being an illusion of its programming continues on to humans.

Thus, for the sentimental reader of science-fiction, one must hope that "all dogs go to heaven" as Mother and Father said, and must apply this to the robot AND themselves!

CK the Fat

"It can think by itself and its artificial"

Well you really need to define both "think" and "artificial" here...

T

TwilightExternal

Do you mean something that's synthetically concieved but has a considerably large amount of knowledge/intelligence which it uses to decide and live for itself?
Or something like a genetically enhanced test-tube baby or something =P I myself havent heard/thought about Artifical Intelligence for a year or two.

CK the Fat

Well preferably you would create a completely non-organic, electronic machine to do the thinking. And then the real challenge would be to give the machine the knowledge that allows it to acquire more knowledge using simple observation.

Imagine you taught a computer to play chess (it's been done.) Now have the computer "watch" two humans play a game of checkers and have it deduce both the rules and the aim of the game, and begin to strategise.

T

TwilightExternal

So basically, it's like a mechanism or a robot.

Yeah, then I see how it's used in almost all RPGs. After all, they ARE the lower-levelled Nobodies in KH2...I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back