• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Aerith's Voice

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lea

Awards
Website
joshtominus.com
So today I've been playing KHII and I just realized how God awful Aerith's voice is. I swear, she sounds like the lead of a poorly voice-acted Kingdom Hearts fan video on YouTube. Did anyone else realize this while playing KHII? I mean, not only did I find her voice boring, but the quality just sounded sub-par as well.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Personally, I've never seen someone say they actually liked Mena Suvari as Aerith.

Lea

Awards
Website
joshtominus.com
Personally, I've never seen someone say they actually liked Mena Suvari as Aerith.

She didn't voice Aerith in FFVII right? (I don't believe there was any kind of voice acting in that game, but I thought I might as well be sure)

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
There was no voice acting (rather than that odd announcement thing) in FFVII.

I didn't really think the VA for Aerith was good or bad in KH2. I didn't really take notice.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
So today I've been playing KHII and I just realized how God awful Aerith's voice is. I swear, she sounds like the lead of a poorly voice-acted Kingdom Hearts fan video on YouTube. Did anyone else realize this while playing KHII? I mean, not only did I find her voice boring, but the quality just sounded sub-par as well.

I actually thought Mena did an okay job as Aerith. Nothing great by any means, but not terrible. There have been worse voice actors and actresses in the series.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Mena Suvari was awful in KH2 and even though the overall vocal direction in KH2 was off, it didn't help that she made no attempts to inflect or emote. I'm so glad Andrea Bowen replaced her in Crisis Core (and Dissidia) but oh god I missed Mandy Moore in KH2 (and AC).

I actually thought Mena did an okay job as Aerith. Nothing great by any means, but not terrible. There have been worse voice actors and actresses in the series.

Point out one voice worse than her. Mena IS the worst. She sets the standard for the worst. Even Kairi's cracking "No, I won't let him go!" tops Mena's performance in KH2.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Mena Suvari was awful in KH2 and even though the overall vocal direction in KH2 was off, it didn't help that she made no attempts to inflect or emote. I'm so glad Andrea Bowen replaced her in Crisis Core (and Dissidia) but oh god I missed Mandy Moore in KH2 (and AC).

Point out one voice worse than her. Mena IS the worst. She sets the standard for the worst. Even Kairi's cracking "No, I won't let him go!" tops Mena's performance in KH2.

Easy. Willa Holland as Aqua. Mena was nowhere near as bad as Willa.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Easy. Willa Holland as Aqua. Mena was nowhere near as bad as Willa.
No, Willa actually uses inflection in some of her lines. Mena is the voice equivalent of cardboard.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No way. Willa actually gets better throughout BBS and she emotes plenty of times. She killed it when she said "Give my friend his heart back!"

Mena not once changes her tone. It's always that airy, fake voice for every single line. Not even remotely close to Mandy's performance in KH1. Even in AC she was shit.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I think Jim Cummings does a really bad job in Kingdom Hearts, come on man that's just sloppy

EDIT: Mandy Moore is best Aerith. She messed up on her inflection on the line "to many worlds" in KH1, though. It sounds like she's saying "too many worlds".

Last edited:

WaveK89

I do prefer Mandy Moore. Despite Aerith having only a few lines in Advent Children, I found her more tolerable in the movie than in KHII.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Ugh, Mena Suvari... Her voice sounded like a stoned, flighty twit. Not the voice I think of when thinking of Aerith. I haven't watched AC so I don't know how she sounded in that.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards

I mean, I liked the voice itself, but just not a fan of the monotone performance. I can't tell if this is just bad/misguided directing, or if it's a case where she's really limited by the voice she's doing for the role.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Looking at an upload of AC to hear Aerith's voice and Mena Suvari sounds decent in it. So her crappyness in KHII might have been the voice director's fault.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I'm in the same boat as Chaser and honestly didn't pay it much mind. Especially because I thought most of the voice acting in KH2 was hooky. It didn't help that the script was blah.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Yeah something happened with both the writing and voice direction in KH2 ... Something very off. Thankfully they've fixed both in later entries in the series.

Prince Enigma

I find that some of the voice actors performances are made worse when in scenes with some of the Disney character voice actors, as whether they are original or not, they sound as true to how they sounded in there respective films. I personally just found Mena Suvari's voice as Aerith annoying if anything else.

I also found Jason Dohring as Terra to be poor, as I found Jesse McCartney as always giving a good performance as Ven especially making him different from Roxas IMO in the way he delivers his lines in a more upbeat, personable way. Willa Holland as Aqua was also good I think, I personally loved it when she calls Vanitas a 'freak'. Great emoting in that line, you can really hear the frustration and angst she has for him.

I just hope if Aerith makes a cameo in KH3 they replace her with someone else. It'd be great if Mandy Moore came back, and David Boreanaz back as Leon.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I just hope if Aerith makes a cameo in KH3 they replace her with someone else. It'd be great if Mandy Moore came back, and David Boreanaz back as Leon.

Andrea Bowen has long since replaced Mena Suvari as Aerith, unless you're referring to a replacement for her instead?

I never really saw the appeal for David Boreanaz as Leon and found him really flat and uninterested during KH1. Doug Erholtz plays him just fine in my opinion.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I feel like both David and Doug work for Leon, and actually sound pretty similar. A good replacement.

I liked David because his flat affect added a sort of mystifying quality to the beginning of KH1. I liked Doug because he actually sounded like he was fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back