• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Action Cutscenes in Kingdom Hearts 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEASTENDER

After looking at something BBS related, I came across the cutscene where Aqua and Terra faced off in the mark of mastery exam. After looking at it I thought, this doesn't look bad, but it definitely doesn't look good either. Then I remembered, any time action showed up in a cutscene, it looked like that. The only decent ones I see are pre-rendered, and are usually saved for openings, endings, or special endings.

I watched the secret movie for Kingdom Hearts Final Mix where Roxas fights Neo Shadows and thought, it would be great if we had more of this during cutscenes instead of what we've gotten in the past, when game systems could only handle so much.
For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh_3PVnI7no

A very popular trend I've noticed as of late, is rendering cutscenes in real time, as hardware has gotten to the point where it's possible without compromising other things. Square Enix has caught on too, and are rendering most of XV's cutscenes in real time. In the KH series, whenever there's an action cutscene, The keyblade wielder's skills and abilities just...disappear. They don't need to be in CG like the Deep Dive ending of course, but I'd like to see action cutscenes like that in KH3: Real Time or CG, and I'd like for them to fight like they didn't just learn how to use a keyblade. I'd like to see some beautiful animation and action during the story's cutscenes, instead of just during the opening or the ending credits.

Do you want to see a change in how cutscenes look and play, or would you rather stick to how it's always been? I for one, think it would be a welcomed change. Nothing drastic, just some improvements.

χBladeMaster

Destiny Islands, finally winning races against Rik
Do you want to see a change in how cutscenes look and play, or would you rather stick to how it's always been? I for one, think it would be a welcomed change. Nothing drastic, just some improvements.

I definitely agree with you. The greatest offenders are the Re:Coded cutscenes where Sora is fighting the bugs. He just spams the same combo in every cutscene. Never using magic or any of his limits. I for one, would love to see magic used in a non pre-rendered cutscene (think Birth By Sleep secret ending, when Aqua and Vanitas are shooting magic at each other).

Master_Aqua

χBladeMaster;6246197 said:
I definitely agree with you. The greatest offenders are the Re:Coded cutscenes where Sora is fighting the bugs. He just spams the same combo in every cutscene. Never using magic or any of his limits. I for one, would love to see magic used in a non pre-rendered cutscene (think Birth By Sleep secret ending, when Aqua and Vanitas are shooting magic at each other).

Do you mean the KHII secret ending showing BBS? Anyways yeah that ending showing some great action wasn't in the actual BBS game which was disappointing :(. The magic they used against (Aqua and Vanitas) each other was pretty great and if I remember correctly Vanitas rains a shower of thunder attacks on Terra which was awesome and I'd like to see more of that kind of action hehe.

Fortissimo

That would be something I'd like to see. Especially with the less cinematic scenes. The last time I played a SE game that did that for ff13. All that really happened was just dialogue which was good enough for me. It would be a good solution to those text boxes and dead faces. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do that with KhIII since they had pulled it off with more recent games from SE.

It'd be a good way to get through any tutorial or prologue too.

Noel

Awards
Since KH3 will be on the PS4 on Xbox One, the transition between cutscene and the action part shall be seamless. T.T <333333333

SephirothZ

You also have to remember that the most powerful system any Kingdom Hearts game has been on was the PS2... Think about that, and realize that this game will be on the PS4.

Worlds will be much bigger, no more "fish faces" during cutscenes, and the graphics themselves (even in-game cutscenes) will be much much better. The only problem is that most fight scenes during cutscenes are usually pretty plain. SE is known for that actually, they rarely have any special attack or magic during a cutscene, that might have been why people enjoyed the Agnis Philosophy video so much.

KH3 has a chance to greatly surprise long time fans because they will be going from KH2 graphics on the PS2 to KH3 on the PS4. That is a massive jump. It might just be the biggest jump in graphics a series will ever experience.

BEASTENDER

You also have to remember that the most powerful system any Kingdom Hearts game has been on was the PS2... Think about that, and realize that this game will be on the PS4.

Worlds will be much bigger, no more "fish faces" during cutscenes, and the graphics themselves (even in-game cutscenes) will be much much better. The only problem is that most fight scenes during cutscenes are usually pretty plain. SE is known for that actually, they rarely have any special attack or magic during a cutscene, that might have been why people enjoyed the Agnis Philosophy video so much.

KH3 has a chance to greatly surprise long time fans because they will be going from KH2 graphics on the PS2 to KH3 on the PS4. That is a massive jump. It might just be the biggest jump in graphics a series will ever experience.

That first sentence is so eery, I quite literally just thought that after pondering another forum topic (the 2015 release) The most powerful system KH has ever appeared on was PS2. That alone reminds that development times and things like cutscene quality simply can't be compared to past titles. I did note that the reason a lot of those scenes are like that are because of the technical limitations of past consoles. However, this question is more about the format. If you look at XV, those in game action cutscenes look beautiful, and are action packed. Even with the potentially dramatic increase in graphics, I'm hoping they change the formula.

I want them to step away from the whole "Spam same basic keyblade combo, Sprinkle in some dialogue, End cutscene" Formula. Deep Dive isn't all that impressive from an action standpoint either, but I'm hoping for more of that during the story instead of just watching the opening or waiting for the end credits.

@XKeybladeMaster brought up another good example. The KH2 Final Mix secret movie was gorgeous, and that was about a decade ago. The actual scene in BBS, understandably, paled in comparison. While they don't have to be in CG like the secret movies, that is the direction I want the action sequences to take. Trying to Imagine the fight between Terra and Aqua, but with upgraded graphics only, I think, "This would almost look totally out of place in KH3"

χBladeMaster

Destiny Islands, finally winning races against Rik
I was playing Re:Com again, and I just realized that those cutscenes actually have some of what we're looking for, certainly more so than BBS or II. Specifically thinking of the Axel - Marluxia fight, where Marluxia actually teleports behind Axel and shoots out a flower scythe thingy which Axel blocks by spinning his chakrams. Does anyone know if the Re:Com in 1.5 Remix contains better cutscenes than the Re:Com on the PS2? Specifically, does this scene appear in the Ps2 version? If so, they clearly had the power to make better action cutscenes with the PS2. I expect all action cutscenes in KHIII to be considerably better than this one, as well as much longer.

Master_Aqua

And also the final battle at the Keyblade Graveyard in BBS has pretty great action as well. Aqua using magic to give Terra a protective barrier, the Keyblade rising and riding along the wind and Vanitas surfing on them, Xehanort freezing Ventus, Xehanort teleporting when Ventus attempts to attack him, the keyblade wave hitting Terra (throwing him down the tall rock structure), Ven (throwing him across the field), and Aqua (rising from the ground lifting her up and slamming her down), Aqua when she uses the Wayfinder to break the X-blade and the destruction of the X-blade, Vanitas striking Aqua almost about to kill her, etc.... so BBS has pretty great action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back