• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

About video game remakes..

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I found this video while I was poking around.

[video=youtube;iw58moYrNIM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw58moYrNIM[/video]

Made me think (yes, I think the KH remakes have been helping Square get ready to make KH3)..Any thoughts about it, guys?

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Remakes are honestly a mixed bag. At the end of the day, it really boils down to the intention of a remake. Some remakes actually fulfill their purpose (Resident Evil, Punch Out, Fire Emblem Echoes) whilst others are a shell of their former selves (Conker: Live & Reloaded, Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, Dungeon Keeper).

Sometimes, some games that legitimately deserve the remake treatment never get considered. Take for example Xenogears. It's one of the highest scored PlayStation games of all time, but despite that, the second disk had a lot of cut content and it shows through the drastic change in quality form the first disk. A remake would actually make that game finally feel complete and playable like it was originally intended, but Square Enix are never going to touch that intellectual property ever again...

Made me think (yes, I think the KH remakes have been helping Square get ready to make KH3)..Any thoughts about it, guys?

The Kingdom Hearts HD ReMixes are not remakes, they're remasters. There's no new content, and the assets are exactly the same as the original iteration of said games, it's just the asset and texture qualities have been improved for widescreen HD viewing.Are you sure this discussion is not about remasters?

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Watch the vid. The guy seems to group remasters with remakes.

And summary; Seems remakes are often used (when done in house) for the team to get experience with a new system, funding new games (when they're farmed out) and suchlike. They may suck for us, and yes, it's worth crying when they turn out crap, but there's a good side to them. Maybe we'll get KH3 a little sooner due to KH 2.8, we'll see!

And yes, I wish some games would get remakes that haven't. Like, Xenogears. (Just so you know, that's on my hit list for the collection if I can find it at a decent price.)

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Watch the vid. The guy seems to group remasters with remakes.

And summary; Seems remakes are often used (when done in house) for the team to get experience with a new system, funding new games (when they're farmed out) and suchlike. They may suck for us, and yes, it's worth crying when they turn out crap, but there's a good side to them. Maybe we'll get KH3 a little sooner due to KH 2.8, we'll see!

We'll, he's incorrect by the technical definition. I can see where he's coming from, both remasters and remakes use the template of a pre-existing form of video gaming media and re-release it to the public in an altered format. A remaster is simply altering pre-existing assets for current hardware specifications (The Last of Us Remastered), a remake is re-creating a game with new assets with new elements (Final Fantasy VII Remake).

I'm personally a huge fan of remakes and remasters. They're a means of re-invigorating dormant franchises, or to see if a franchise still has consumer appeal. After all, 90% of THQ Nordic's content is remasters of dormant and stagnant intellectual properties and they're doing really well for themselves right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back