• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

About time for a Bouncer remake

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

meep2meep

Awards
Does anyone else actually remeber this game... probably have to be over 20 lol. Why does this game get no love.
I mean Tetsuya basically copy and pasted Sion onto Sora. Remake the game then have the characters show up in the KH4. I mean
Spoiler Spoiler Show
fits perfectly into kingdom hearts and its themes. Could you imagine fighting Mugetsu as Sora? Theyd probably have to tone down the uber violence of the characters to fit into kh but I have faith in Nomura.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
You're over-valuing this game for what it's worth. The only merit to it is the first PlayStation 2 release by Square. If any Square game deserves the remake treatment then it's Xenogears, and judging from the live Orchestra, Weltall cameo in World of Final Fantasy, Tetsuya Nomura character designs for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and a Play Arts Kai, I think it's more than likely to be a thing.

meep2meep

Awards
You're over-valuing this game for what it's worth. The only merit to it is the first PlayStation 2 release by Square. If any Square game deserves the remake treatment then it's Xenogears, and judging from the live Orchestra, Weltall cameo in World of Final Fantasy, Tetsuya Nomura character designs for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and a Play Arts Kai, I think it's more than likely to be a thing.

Im not saying it deserves a remake more than other games. I just think that the bouncer was and is still unique enough to deserve a remake. I don't think I'm over-valuing either. Do a quick search, it still gets some coverage. More like an overlooked gem, by no mean a classic or great game. Everything feels so copy and paste nowadays, it has a quality story and some difficult but rewarding gameplay.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I don't think it is over-valuing a game to ask for it to be remade since it was a game full of cool concepts that were just poorly executed. There aren't many brawlers coming out these days except for stuff like Yakuza and soon-to-be Shenmue 3 (and I guess Fist of the North Star).

SE could stand to revisit the game that was one of their first PS2 games that put them on the map for their graphical prowess. Flesh it out, give it more depth.

This isn't a thread about Xenogears. Xenogears can deserve to get remade along with any other game at SE. This isn't a competition about what game deserves it the most. We'd regress to listing every game that is in SE's library. Drakengard, Ehrgeiz, Parasite Eve, Live A Live, Bahamut Lagoon, Tobal, Einhänder, and the list goes on.

If you want to talk about Xenogears and how it deserves a remake or feel there is any evidence that they could be thinking about a remake, you can make a thread about it. Let this one be about the Bouncer.

Does anyone else actually remeber this game... probably have to be over 20 lol. Why does this game get no love.
I mean Tetsuya basically copy and pasted Sion onto Sora. Remake the game then have the characters show up in the KH4. I mean
Spoiler Spoiler Show
fits perfectly into kingdom hearts and its themes. Could you imagine fighting Mugetsu as Sora? Theyd probably have to tone down the uber violence of the characters to fit into kh but I have faith in Nomura.

I mean, Nomura's been slipping in the Bouncer stuff in KH for ages. Besides the similarities between Sora and Sion, he put Dog Street clothing into the game.

The characters could easily be put into KH3 if they wanted to...

Last edited:

meep2meep

Awards
I mean, Nomura's been slipping in the Bouncer stuff in KH for ages. Besides the similarities between Sora and Sion, he put Dog Street clothing into the game.

The characters could easily be put into KH3 if they wanted to...

First time I saw Pence in 2007 that was my first thought XD
Nomura sure likes to add easter eggs to his character designs.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
SE could stand to revisit the game that was one of their first PS2 games that put them on the map for their graphical prowess. Flesh it out, give it more depth.

This isn't a thread about Xenogears. Xenogears can deserve to get remade along with any other game at SE. This isn't a competition about what game deserves it the most. We'd regress to listing every game that is in SE's library. Drakengard, Ehrgeiz, Parasite Eve, Live A Live, Bahamut Lagoon, Tobal, Einhänder, and the list goes on.

If you want to talk about Xenogears and how it deserves a remake or feel there is any evidence that they could be thinking about a remake, you can make a thread about it. Let this one be about the Bouncer.

To be clear, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, I'm just being realistic. Square Enix have a lot of higher profile games that they can remake (like Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VIII), I mean, if a Bouncer remake happens then I'm in support of it, but judging from Square Enix's current promotional lineup, there's not even a hint of interest for the IP (unless it's a hypothetical surprise for E3).

I bring Xenogears up because it falls in the same vein as a Bouncer remake, an older Square intellectual property, but unlike The Bouncer, it has been recently cross-promoted despite nothing about a sequel or a remake being announced yet.

But going back to topic of The Bouncer in general, it definitely seems to have influenced Kingdom Hearts. Sora's outfits has a lot of parallels to Sion's. At best, I can see these two characters being the clothing inspiration for Larxene and Demyx's somebodies respectively.

latest

latest

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
The original was never really good to begin with. Like most DreamFactory games. It felt almost like a glorified tech-demo. Everyone was eagerly anticipating the next Final Fantasy game and what it would look like on such powerful hardware. The Bouncer got a lot of coverage, because it was a Squaresoft game with character design by Nomura. I think most people who bought it ended up being disappointed as it didn't live up to the "next gen" hype it received prior to launch. But it had potential and I wouldn't mind seeing it remade with a good game engine and revised plot. Something to rival Yakuza.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
First time I saw Pence in 2007 that was my first thought XD
Nomura sure likes to add easter eggs to his character designs.

He does. Mainly because he usually has fond memories of his older designs and wishes for people to remember those games.

To be clear, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, I'm just being realistic. Square Enix have a lot of higher profile games that they can remake (like Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VIII), I mean, if a Bouncer remake happens then I'm in support of it, but judging from Square Enix's current promotional lineup, there's not even a hint of interest for the IP (unless it's a hypothetical surprise for E3).

I bring Xenogears up because it falls in the same vein as a Bouncer remake, an older Square intellectual property, but unlike The Bouncer, it has been recently cross-promoted despite nothing about a sequel or a remake being announced yet.

I'm not sure what you could be reading into their promotional lineup considering they don't have much announced for the future right now. If anything, the small list of remakes they have in production seem to lend more credence towards them looking at their older IPs for potential remakes.

I'm not negating Xenogears as something they might be looking into remaking, but the way you dismissed the possibility of a Bouncer remake made it sound as though you were comparing the two when there is nothing to compare. SE will remake whatever they want regardless of cross-promotions or popularity. If they find value in an older IP, they will go for it.

There is no need to be realistic about a "what-if" when the OP wanted to start a discussion on the connection this game visually to Kingdom Hearts and wondered if people remembered this game like they did and if they also liked it enough to think it deserved a remake.

But going back to topic of The Bouncer in general, it definitely seems to have influenced Kingdom Hearts. Sora's outfits has a lot of parallels to Sion's. At best, I can see these two characters being the clothing inspiration for Larxene and Demyx's somebodies respectively.

latest

latest

I think Larxene would wear something more seductive rather than figure-obscuring.

I could see something punk-ish like that on Demyx. (But my first thought when seeing Volt was Aeleus xD)

So that's what Zell looked like after he bulked up on hot dogs.

xD Zell and Raijin became sparring partners.

The original was never really good to begin with. Like most DreamFactory games. It felt almost like a glorified tech-demo. Everyone was eagerly anticipating the next Final Fantasy game and what it would look like on such powerful hardware. The Bouncer got a lot of coverage, because it was a Squaresoft game with character design by Nomura. I think most people who bought it ended up being disappointed as it didn't live up to the "next gen" hype it received prior to launch. But it had potential and I wouldn't mind seeing it remade with a good game engine and revised plot. Something to rival Yakuza.

If not a direct continuation of the Bouncer, at least something in the same vein of it would be worth revisiting so SE could try out the beat-'em-up brawler genre again. They have the skill and technology to create something extremely fun on their own now with a lot more content. Not many brawlers out there have a three-party system like the Bouncer, or a multiple scenario story.

D

Deleted member 246005

I only just found out about the game so I'm not super invested in seeing a remake. But if it's look cool and is fun to play I'll give it a shot.

I rather see it incorporated into a future KH game. There is a fan suggestion that Sora is related to Sion so that would be a cool way to bring them in.

As for a sequel you would have to bring in new characters because most of the cast died at the end. But maybe you could do a crossover with the World ends with you? You could have Sion go through a version of the reaper's game.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I still have my copy of The Bouncer. I really liked it for what it was, and I enjoyed that something new was added every time I played through it.

Also, those loading screen backstorie were awesome. My biggest gripe with the game was that there was nowhere I could just go read those.

meep2meep

Awards
I only just found out about the game so I'm not super invested in seeing a remake. But if it's look cool and is fun to play I'll give it a shot.

I rather see it incorporated into a future KH game. There is a fan suggestion that Sora is related to Sion so that would be a cool way to bring them in.

As for a sequel you would have to bring in new characters because most of the cast died at the end. But maybe you could do a crossover with the World ends with you? You could have Sion go through a version of the reaper's game.

I'd say it's definitely worth a playthrough just to see what early ps2 square soft games were like. The characters are pretty unique and interesting and the game is built around replay. Controls are a bit off and sometimes combats feels rediculously unfair. I really encourage you the check it out.

Back