• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

about the next kh title, im kinda confused....

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
You're absolutely right. The incentive to switch over to Unreal Engine 5 is just not there especially for a title that is most likely a non-numbered entry.

Yes, Unreal Engine 5 has tools and assets that Unreal Engine 4 does not but Unreal Engine 5 license is not only more costly because it's the shiny new program but the Kingdom Hearts team would have to take their time adjusting to the newer program.

From a business perspective, it's more cost effective to just stick with Unreal Engine 4 for their 2022 game and just utilise the teams experience with ReMind to make a game that's as mechanically solid as Kingdom Hearts II.
I mean, I presume Unreal Engine 5 has a porting method to have work easily transferred from one version of the engine to the other, but if the next game is multiplat and not next gen exclusive, then using UE5 isn't an option.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I don't get why fans keep repeating this. There were several games before KH3.
I agree this is one of those statements that really gets me annoyed. KH3 wasn't even on the horizon in 2006. Nomura and Square wanted to focus on other stuff before getting to the next numbered installment. Sure the seven years between DDD and KH3 was a long time, but not that ridiculous time most complain to have been waiting.

Somnus cealum

Awards
I agree this is one of those statements that really gets me annoyed. KH3 wasn't even on the horizon in 2006. Nomura and Square wanted to focus on other stuff before getting to the next numbered installment. Sure the seven years between DDD and KH3 was a long time, but not that ridiculous time most complain to have been waiting.
ik. tbh i didn't care if we got a kh3 when i was little. i started kh when i was 3 and played kh1 com recom and kh2. i was happy we got new games but i some how know that all the games was on the same story like i known that khcom was between kh1 and kh2 and khbbs was before kh1.

and kh3 was in dev for about 7 or 6 years. but idk y people cant just say it was a good game to be in dev for lots of years.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I doubt some of those installments would have happened between 2 and 3 if Nomura hadn't been too busy on Versus, which is where that sentiment comes from. They were distractions so the franchise didn't seem like it was on pause, but they didn't add much of anything.

Somnus cealum

Awards
I doubt some of those installments would have happened between 2 and 3 if Nomura weren't too busy on Versus, let's be honest. They were distractions so the franchise didn't seem like it was on pause, but they didn't add much of anything.
characters....lore.....a story before the whole series(khux)..... hmmm not alot..

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I doubt some of those installments would have happened between 2 and 3 if Nomura hadn't been too busy on Versus, which is where that sentiment comes from. They were distractions so the franchise didn't seem like it was on pause, but they didn't add much of anything.
I'm not sure about that, a lot of the instalments between 2 and 3 also kind of just happened because there was interest for it.

• Days was made because Nintendo wanted a game for the DS and Nomura was interested in telling Roxas' story.
  • BBS was the next stepping stone in the series to establish the plot for the future.
  • Coded I'm not sure.
  • DDD similar to Days Nintendo asked for a game on the 3DS.
  • BBS0.2 was the prolog cut from 3.
  • Chi probably came into being because SE wanted a Gocha game (pure speculation) and Nomura saw a chance to tell the Keyblade War story.
I feel like even, if KH3 had come earlier we'd probably have still gotten a handful of none numbered games.

Last edited:

Somnus cealum

Awards
I'm not sure about that, a lot of the instalments between 2 and 3 also kind of just happened because there was interest for it.

• Days was made because Nintendo wanted a game for the DS and Nomura was interested in telling Roxas' story.
  • BBS was the next stepping stone in the series to establish the plot for the future. Coded I'm not sure.
  • Chi probably came into being because SE wanted a Gocha game (pure speculation) and Nomura saw a chance to tell the Keyblade War story.
I feel like even, if KH3 had come earlier we'd probably have still gotten a handful of none numbered games.
i agree. but coded was here i think was to retell kh1 and it did have a small impact on kh3 with dark riku and a enemy.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I mean, I presume Unreal Engine 5 has a porting method to have work easily transferred from one version of the engine to the other, but if the next game is multiplat and not next gen exclusive, then using UE5 isn't an option.

I'm not a game designer nor a game programmer so I can't speak for how easy the porting process really is, my thought is that Square Enix would stick with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality for their upcoming Kingdom Hearts game.

Part of the reason why Kingdom Hearts III took so long was the approval process of working with Pixar at the time.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I'm not a game designer nor a game programmer so I can't speak for how easy the porting process really is, my thought is that Square Enix would stick with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality for their upcoming Kingdom Hearts game.
I personally think it's too early to make a next gen exclusive KH title. Maybe the next game after this one will be PS5/Series X exclusive.

Willow A113

Awards
WAIT! 13 years between kh2 and kh3... 7 years between DDD and kh3...
HMMMMM

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I don't get why fans keep repeating this. There were several games before KH3.
None are them are KH3 so they don't count. I WANTED KH3 as soon as I beat KH2 & saw that post-credits tease. Ain't my fault Square took so damn long to get on it.

Somnus cealum

Awards
NOMURAAAAA LET ME OFF LE WILD RIDE XD

He planned this! All of it! He is an epic mastermind...we cannot handle his genius...
lmaoooo cooool

None are them are KH3 so they don't count. I WANTED KH3 as soon as I beat KH2 & saw that post-credits tease. Ain't my fault Square took so damn long to get on it.
there was so many games between kh2 and 3... and your saying there was basically nothing?!?!?!

WAIT! 13 years between kh2 and kh3... 7 years between DDD and kh3...
HMMMMM
or about 6 and a half since kh3 dev started after ddd and 1. they had to get approval by pixar to use their movies and 2. engine switch

well yes they do count since there part of the same story! there not spin offs! lets just all be happy we got something.
1.they wanted another game that's not a number installment and not make a 3 yet
2.they started dev of kh3 after ddd
3.they had to have approval by pixar to use their movies
4.engine switch.
tbh when i was little i was just happy there was a new kh and didn't care if it was a numbered game, i just knew it was part of the same story.

but your acting like a little kid just cause square took a long time. while adulting some stuff takes a long time. YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT ITS NO ONES FAULT AND STUFF TAKES TIME

"YOU GET WHAT YOU GET AND YOU DON'T THROW A FIT" 😂😂😂

• BBS was the next stepping stone in the series to establish the plot for the future.
  • Coded I'm not sure.
these are also other reasons why

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
there was so many games between kh2 and 3... and your saying there was basically nothing?!?!?!
1st of all, quit posting so much. Edit is a thing.

2nd, To the average gamer, yes. People don't give a shit about handheld spin-offs. I swear, some of you guys seriously have issues seeing outside of our little bubble, 90% of people who played KH1&2 had no idea those games even existed. & those who did dismiss them as irrelevant, because that's how ALL handheld spin-offs are. You don't need to play the PSP God of Wars to follow along with GoW3/4. You don't need to play to Killzone Liberation, Assassin's Creed Liberation, Daxter, Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, GTA Liberty City Stories, Resident Evil Revelations, Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds, Sonic Triple Trouble, Crisis Core, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Mass Effect Infiltrator, Arkham Origins Blackgate or any of the other hundreds of handheld entries to console franchises in order to be able to play/enjoy/follow the plot of their respective big boy console kin.

Only KH & I guess Castlevania had ever put so much weight & importance on handheld entries. Otherwise, that's just not how the industry operates nor do gamers expect it to.

Square was dumb for what they did, they were dumb for thinking that only making handheld games for the next decade was the right way to keep the franchise. They were certainly only thinking in terms of the Japanese market where handhelds are more popular without a care for how it would be perceived in western markets where everyone was expecting KH3 to get announced sometime during the PS3 gen.

Megavoltage

Awards
Square was dumb for what they did, they were dumb for thinking that only making handheld games for the next decade was the right way to keep the franchise.
Recoded was fine as a handheld title, an enjoyable romp but not nothing important. But as for the others... I'll always dream of a world where Birth by Sleep and the rest were made for the PlayStation 3. If only.

Somnus cealum

Awards
1st of all, quit posting so much. Edit is a thing.

2nd, To the average gamer, yes. People don't give a shit about handheld spin-offs. I swear, some of you guys seriously have issues seeing outside of our little bubble, 90% of people who played KH1&2 had no idea those games even existed. & those who did dismiss them as irrelevant, because that's how ALL handheld spin-offs are. You don't need to play the PSP God of Wars to follow along with GoW3/4. You don't need to play to Killzone Liberation, Assassin's Creed Liberation, Daxter, Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, GTA Liberty City Stories, Resident Evil Revelations, Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds, Sonic Triple Trouble, Crisis Core, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Mass Effect Infiltrator, Arkham Origins Blackgate or any of the other hundreds of handheld entries to console franchises in order to be able to play/enjoy/follow the plot of their respective big boy console kin.

Only KH & I guess Castlevania had ever put so much weight & importance on handheld entries. Otherwise, that's just not how the industry operates nor do gamers expect it to.

Square was dumb for what they did, they were dumb for thinking that only making handheld games for the next decade was the right way to keep the franchise. They were certainly only thinking in terms of the Japanese market where handhelds are more popular without a care for how it would be perceived in western markets where everyone was expecting KH3 to get announced sometime during the PS3 gen.
where both looking inside and outside of it. its nintendo you need to really blame. not square. get your facts straight man.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
where both looking inside and outside of it. its nintendo you need to really blame. not square. get your facts straight man.

🤦‍♂️

1. Just 'cuz Nintendo requested KH games on GBA or DS doesn't mean Square was obligated to fulfill those requests. Otherwise I would imagine that at some point Nintendo would've requested a game on the Wii & that clearly never happened. Not even ports of the PS2 games.

2. Making games for Nintendo handhelds didn't prohibit Square from making KH3 sooner. We didn't have 5 games between KH1 & KH2, just CoM.

3. It ain't Nintendo's fault the handheld titles became required reading for future console games, that's all on Nomura.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Yeah but after the game you thought was KH3 was revealed to be BBS, what were you actually waiting for? Just the next box with a roman numeral on it?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah but after the game you thought was KH3 was revealed to be BBS, what were you actually waiting for? Just the next box with a roman numeral on it?
Pretty much, yeah? Fans wanted to see the next big thing, not an at best lateral move.

Back