• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

about the next kh title, im kinda confused....

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Somnus cealum

Awards
do they mean they will start developing the next game in 2022 or mean by that they will announce a game they started working on at the end of this year.

they have the models and resources ready to go so it would it still take long?

i think it will probably release 2024 if they start in 2022.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Pretty sure they've already started to work on the next major title. When it's announced in 2022 it should already have quite a bit of development put into it

Last edited:

Willow A113

Awards
Either they will start talking about it in 2022, or they will announce and release it in that year.
I think they'll most likely release an actual console game in 2022, just because it is the 20th anniversary of the first game. They celebrated their 10th anniversary with Dream Drop Distance, so they'll probably do something even more special for the 20th.

Somnus cealum

Awards
Either they will start talking about it in 2022, or they will announce and release it in that year.
I think they'll most likely release an actual console game in 2022, just because it is the 20th anniversary of the first game. They celebrated their 10th anniversary with Dream Drop Distance, so they'll probably do something even more special for the 20th.
i hope they release a game.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
To the best of my understanding the KINGDOM HEARTS III dev team took a vacation after releasing the game. Afterwards, they started working on the next title they were gonna deliver and Nomura used a portion of that team to work on the Re:MIND DLC (reason as to why the downloadable content took so long: it was being developed by a small team). As of right now, the KHIII dev team should be complete and working KHwhatever.

Somnus cealum

Awards
To the best of my understanding the KINGDOM HEARTS III dev team took a vacation after releasing the game. Afterwards, they started working on the next title they were gonna deliver and Nomura used a portion of that team to work on the Re:MIND DLC (reason as to why the downloadable content took so long: it was being developed by a small team). As of right now, the KHIII dev team should be complete and working KHwhatever.
ok cool

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I do find it curious that the announcement is slated for 2022, instead of the game itself. My guess is they wanted to have some wiggle room, in case development takes longer than expected.

Still it would be odd, if the 20th anniversary came and they simply announced the next game for the next year. If I'm not mistaking they did say they had another team working on a KH game not yet announced aside from the KH3-Team's project. I expect them to be pretty far along, seeing they must have already have started by the time KH3 came out.

horto12485

Awards

Really does that Mean in 2022 that a Kingdom Hearts game will be released on the PS5?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Please keep in mind that Nomura was vague in clarifying if it was just an announcement or if something will actually release in 2022.

Something is happening in 2022 to celebrate the anniversary. What that is, if it will come out or not, and on what is unknown and cannot be speculated on beyond the fact that we know two projects are in development.

One is Osaka and one is another unrevealed team.

Do not assume both projects are games.

but they said they is gonna take a break for a bit

as I explained:

Their 2022 announcements are already in development.

The only thing taking a break in 2021 is news.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
They "took a break" after KH2 to develop VSXIII and look what happened there, 13 years for KH3 to finally come out. For that matter VSXIII getting renamed FFXV has one very big implication: that Square didn't already had a FFXV in the works at the time.

Games take too long to make these days to justify true breaks. Square has to always be working on the next FF, the next DQ, and the next KH at all times now lest they fall fall behind again.

the red monster

Awards
Unclear. All games would be on the ps5 anyway, but you mean exclusively, right? It would be really awesome to have the next game in ue5, but they'll most likely stick to ue4 to reuse assets and save time.
IIRC, they can already copy paste all the assets they have on UE4 to UE5 since it's the same but upgraded.
but since the game already started development i doubt they will bother. so probably after the next game.

Willow A113

Awards
IIRC, they can already copy paste all the assets they have on UE4 to UE5 since it's the same but upgraded.
but since the game already started development i doubt they will bother. so probably after the next game.
What exactly would be the point, though? Would it look that much better? Sure, the lighting and minor stuff would look nicer, but when it comes to the models, they would look the same, right? I feel like that wouldn't be enough of a difference to justify changing engines.

cakito123

Awards
They "took a break" after KH2 to develop VSXIII and look what happened there, 13 years for KH3 to finally come out. For that matter VSXIII getting renamed FFXV has one very big implication: that Square didn't already had a FFXV in the works at the time.

Games take too long to make these days to justify true breaks. Square has to always be working on the next FF, the next DQ, and the next KH at all times now lest they fall fall behind again.

The creative industry really shouldn't work this way, nor should you expect to work like it. Don't come around expecting developers to release new games every year for you to buy it and have fun just 'because is their jobs to make games'. They fucking deserve their fucking breaks. Not only to make them feel better about their own lives, but because getting back to work after resting do wonders for creative brains.

Remember always that videogames these days takes REALLY LONG to make and demands a lot of effort from multiple people, it's not that easy to just 'make a game' every year or so. If rushed, we wouldn't like the released games at all. Just look at Cyberpunk 2077 or Resident Evil 3 Remake, both games have been rushed and you can see it....

The way you talk 'Games take too long to make these days to justify true breaks.' really worries me because that's the exact line of thought that a Director or someone makes their employers overwork and crunch. We as an audience should start getting used to the idea of WAITING MORE FOR GREATER GAMES not the opposite

(yea I know they are not taking breaks exactly but in this context it made sense for me to bring that up)

Somnus cealum

Awards
The creative industry really shouldn't work this way, nor should you expect to work like it. Don't come around expecting developers to release new games every year for you to buy it and have fun just 'because is their jobs to make games'. They fucking deserve their fucking breaks. Not only to make them feel better about their own lives, but because getting back to work after resting do wonders for creative brains.

Remember always that videogames these days takes REALLY LONG to make and demands a lot of effort from multiple people, it's not that easy to just 'make a game' every year or so. If rushed, we wouldn't like the released games at all. Just look at Cyberpunk 2077 or Resident Evil 3 Remake, both games have been rushed and you can see it....

The way you talk 'Games take too long to make these days to justify true breaks.' really worries me because that's the exact line of thought that a Director or someone makes their employers overwork and crunch. We as an audience should start getting used to the idea of WAITING MORE FOR GREATER GAMES not the opposite

(yea I know they are not taking breaks exactly but in this context it made sense for me to bring that up)
i agree they deserve a break. i was just confused about the 2022 announcement.

Please keep in mind that Nomura was vague in clarifying if it was just an announcement or if something will actually release in 2022.

Something is happening in 2022 to celebrate the anniversary. What that is, if it will come out or not, and on what is unknown and cannot be speculated on beyond the fact that we know two projects are in development.

One is Osaka and one is another unrevealed team.

Do not assume both projects are games.

as I explained:
one could be that rumored kh disney plus show. i heard that its gonna recap/retell the whole story. i hope its that.

i

i was unclear about vsxiii then i under stand it was ffvs13. lol but your point i dont undertand. they need a break...

What exactly would be the point, though? Would it look that much better? Sure, the lighting and minor stuff would look nicer, but when it comes to the models, they would look the same, right? I feel like that wouldn't be enough of a difference to justify changing engines.
it would make stuff better as in the animation and yes looks, ue5 can do some stuff ue4 cant do. i do think the next kh game is gonna have ue5 and it will be on ps5 and xbox series

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
They "took a break" after KH2 to develop VSXIII and look what happened there,
What happened? The dev team for KINGDOM HEARTS II Nomura used to develop Versus XIII (which had gameplay similar to KH), but then the personnel that was in Versus was constantly shifted to work on the mess that were FF's XIII and XIV.

13 years for KH3 to finally come out.
I don't get why fans keep repeating this. There were several games before KH3.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

You're absolutely right. The incentive to switch over to Unreal Engine 5 is just not there especially for a title that is most likely a non-numbered entry.

it would make stuff better as in the animation and yes looks, ue5 can do some stuff ue4 cant do. i do think the next kh game is gonna have ue5 and it will be on ps5 and xbox series

Yes, Unreal Engine 5 has tools and assets that Unreal Engine 4 does not but Unreal Engine 5 license is not only more costly because it's the shiny new program but the Kingdom Hearts team would have to take their time adjusting to the newer program.

From a business perspective, it's more cost effective to just stick with Unreal Engine 4 for their 2022 game and just utilise the teams experience with ReMind to make a game that's as mechanically solid as Kingdom Hearts II.

Cumguardian69

Awards
Reminder that COVID 19 PANDEMIC is nowhere near its conclusion, and will severely impact workflow throughout the world. This is fact inscribed in the holy books. That being said, 2022 should have announcements at the very least. I don't expect there to be a KH release in 2022. The yearly release schedule for KH resulted in massively different quality games, as well as SE mismanagement doing its thang forcing KH3 in particular to undergo two (three? did it ever start with luminous or am I revisioning in passive) engine changes. The break that the main title team is taking is part for relaxation, part restructure, but also part covid. do not forgetting this

Back