• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

About the dark chains holding Sora and Ventus

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

okhi12

Awards
In the final battle trailer we see dark purple chains trapping Sora and Ventus. The chains have the same design of those summoned by the Lingering Will before fighting Terra-Xehanort in BBS. They appeared again in 0.2 when the illusion of Terra tried to stop Xehanort from controlling him.
I think the dark chains in the trailer belong to Terra-Xehanort, and after that Terra's Lingering Will comes to the rescue. His rage awakened again after the bad guy controlling his own (Terra's) body tried to hurt Ven. What do you think?
5H9aGio.jpg

vOtNIeQ.jpg

Foxycian

Awards
In the final battle trailer we see dark purple chains trapping Sora and Ventus. The chains have the same design of those summoned by the Lingering Will before fighting Terra-Xehanort in BBS. They appeared again in 0.2 when the illusion of Terra tried to stop Xehanort from controlling him.
I think the dark chains in the trailer belong to Terra-Xehanort, and after that Terra's Lingering Will comes to the rescue. His rage awakened again after the bad guy controlling his own (Terra's) body tried to hurt Ven. What do you think?
5H9aGio.jpg

vOtNIeQ.jpg

it's probably terranort we saw him in keyblade graveyard in winnie the pooh trailer

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I noticed that there were 3 chains sticking out trying to catch people looks like. I wonder who the third victim is. I'm guessing Roxas.

The chains are like Terra's, but... there are some questions with that. Aqua and Terra are able to use the chains because Eraqus was their master (I think?). Would Xehanort be using those? I mean, I guess there's nothing stopping him if Terranort is a thing.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I've pointed this out as well in the trailer thread.

Those do look like dark versions of the chains Master Eraqus uses although with, interestingly, the chain links being shaped like those which is seen only in the versions that the Lingering Will (in BBS) and Terra as well as Aqua (in 0.2) use.

Still, Nomura did say that Terra and Aqua can use those techniques because they are students of Eraqus and the Armor of Eraqus actually does use an attack that chains the opponent up as seen here:
10o20wj.jpg

Since these chains in KHIII are obviously either dark or at least corrupted by Darkness it might actually be Terra-Xehanort using them and as the OP mentions this may trigger the LW's appearance possibly as a response to sensing Ventus being in danger.

Terra went all batshit on Eraqus and is generally very protective of Ven so it would fit.

The chains coming from a corrupted Eraqus would be a sort of bigger twist though yet the LW appearing in all-rage mode would still fit because Terra already did it in BBS all the same.
To the LW, it would be Eraqus trying the same shit again like 12 years ago.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I've pointed this out as well in the trailer thread.

Those do look like dark versions of the chains Master Eraqus uses although with, interestingly, the chain links being shaped like those which is seen only in the versions that the Lingering Will (in BBS) and Terra as well as Aqua (in 0.2) use.

Still, Nomura did say that Terra and Aqua can use those techniques because they are students of Eraqus and the Armor of Eraqus actually does use an attack that chains the opponent up as seen here:
10o20wj.jpg

Since these chains in KHIII are obviously either dark or at least corrupted by Darkness it might actually be Terra-Xehanort using them and as the OP mentions this may trigger the LW's appearance possibly as a response to sensing Ventus being in danger.

Terra went all batshit on Eraqus and is generally very protective of Ven so it would fit.

The chains coming from a corrupted Eraqus would be a sort of bigger twist though yet the LW appearing in all-rage mode would still fit because Terra already did it in BBS all the same.
To the LW, it would be Eraqus trying the same shit again like 12 years ago.

Or maybe it's Master Eraqus pulling a Dr. Strange. He momentarily excercises control over Master Xehanort, chains everyone, and sends them to the Realm of Darkness as a sort of protection measure and leaves Sora alone, thinking this is the best move. Maybe this is Eraqus sacrificing all of his chess pieces in order to protect the best one: Sora.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Maybe it's Aquanort's grand entrance at the Graveyard.
0.2, which was supposed to be a prologue to KH III, went a moderate deal about how she was also able to use the chains.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
0.2, which was supposed to be a prologue to KH III, went a moderate deal about how she was also able to use the chains.

Hmm. You bring a good point. The possiblities are endless. Maybe it's also Vanitas, since Ventus was a student of Eraqus', and since their hearts are connected, he too can do it because his twin can? This is assumign Ven can.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Or maybe it's Master Eraqus pulling a Dr. Strange. He momentarily excercises control over Master Xehanort, chains everyone, and sends them to the Realm of Darkness as a sort of protection measure and leaves Sora alone, thinking this is the best move. Maybe this is Eraqus sacrificing all of his chess pieces in order to protect the best one: Sora.

Sora looks hardly like the best piece when he himself states he cannot go on alone without his friends, but who knows if there is a way to bring back lost pieces to the board.
I remember Nomura stating in the DDD Ultimania that no matter how often Ansem SoD was defeated/vanquished throughout the series he always came back somehow and there is a reason for that.
If the dark pieces can do that, maybe the light ones can too and if Eraqus is clever he's planning some sort of feint to probably bring back more than one light piece.
Only backdraft on this is that it means more pain for both the pieces sacrificed as well as the one remaining. Sora's scream in the trailer is loaded with despair and his entire movement and pose mirrors exactly the one Ventus does in BBS when Xehanort tells him about the X-blade and awakens some of his sleeping memories.

While this isn't exactly real world chess, as the dark side seems to have 15 pieces overall while the light side has 10 and the board is nothing like a true chessboard, there is a rule in chess that pieces sacrificed are not necessarily gone for good as when another piece (I think it works only with pawns) reaches the opponents side of the board an own piece can be brought back in whatever form the player chooses.
Needless to say that most players who do manage to pull off that feat (which is excruciatingly difficult either way) choose to bring in a second Queen, the strongest piece on the roster.

PS, speaking of the chessboard, it looks like there are "high-ground" fields on it that may grant some possible bonuses or something.
ne7s6e.jpg

Further interesting is the placement of some of the pieces as at least four of the dark pieces seem to stand on a light field (namely the hourglass, cube, moon-sun and six-pointed star pieces) while the sole light one stands on a dark field.
The three pieces standing on the "high-ground" dark fields are obviously Master Xehanort (middle), Xemnas (left) and Ansem SoD (right) and one of the lying light pieces (the lower one having its foot towards the camera) seems to be Mickey's piece as a round mouse ear can be spotted to the left on the top.

Also possible although I think it is a less probable possibility than both Terra-Xehanort or Eraqus.
There doesn't seem to exist an Aqua-piece among the dark pieces unlike a Terra one which is shown to exist.

There is a possibility though it might be "Dark Aqua" unrelated to the Norts. Even if going dark I doubt that unless she's directly controlled by someone or no longer fully mentally there Aqua would ever willingly harm Ven especially if he's still in a sorry state, so if these chains come from Aqua it would probably be an action to remove Sora and Ven from there rather than harm them or deliver them to Xehanort.

Hmm. You bring a good point. The possiblities are endless. Maybe it's also Vanitas, since Ventus was a student of Eraqus', and since their hearts are connected, he too can do it because his twin can? This is assumign Ven can.

Vanitas I doubt because of already two things:
1st it is never ever hinted that Vanitas can use techniques of Ventus just because he was created from him. Roxas and Sora also have their individual moves. On the flip side, Ventus too is never hinted at being able to use Vanitas' skills. The situation in the final battle was a case of a forced D-Link, not something that is active all the time.

2nd it is never hinted that Ventus can actually use these chains. He was not always Eraqus' student like Terra and Aqua are and Eraqus deliberately slowed down his training too.

Then again, when Ventus is using Vanitas' skills via the forced D-Links his own attack variants turn into Light-based versions of the dark-based ones Vanitas has so the precedence of those chains being a mirrored ability from one of the light-aligned characters is there as a basis.

Hmm, tricky, while I'm doubtful I certainly won't rule it out completely.

Going by the form of the chain links I'd stick for now with the theory that it is Terra-Xehanort having gained access to some of Terra's skill set.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I guess Terra/Terranort is still the best contender, not to mention the style of the chains (chainstyle?) looks a lot like his.

I also forgot that in that sequence Ventus is alive and well, though that doesn't necessarily means Aqua is. We've seen that the rescue of Ven won't be carried out in all peace and tranquility with a previously rescued Aqua anyway.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I guess Terra/Terranort is still the best contender, not to mention the style of the chains (chainstyle?) looks a lot like his.

I also forgot that in that sequence Ventus is alive and well, though that doesn't necessarily means Aqua is. We've seen that the rescue of Ven won't be carried out in all peace and tranquility with a previously rescued Aqua anyway.

Yea, the style of the chain links is the biggest indicator as I just now realized that Eraqus' chains have a completely different style for the links.
And that from a screenshot I myself posted, why haven't I noticed earlier?

Maybe Aqua is the third one held by the additional chain Kirabook mentioned?
It would make sense for Aqua and Ven to assist Sora in a battle against Terra-Xehanort.

Maybe it will play out like that Terra-Xehanort captures all three of them (for whatever purpose) and then the Lingering Will enters the scene like a mad wrecking ball intend on "setting things right" and not letting Aqua and Ven get hurt again.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Yea, the style of the chain links is the biggest indicator as I just now realized that Eraqus' chains have a completely different style for the links.
And that from a screenshot I myself posted, why haven't I noticed earlier?

Maybe Aqua is the third one held by the additional chain Kirabook mentioned?
It would make sense for Aqua and Ven to assist Sora in a battle against Terra-Xehanort.

Maybe it will play out like that Terra-Xehanort captures all three of them (for whatever purpose) and then the Lingering Will enters the scene like a mad wrecking ball intend on "setting things right" and not letting Aqua and Ven get hurt again.

1z3os9c.png

Mirashade

Awards
The chains used by both Aqua and Eraqus are most likely directly linked to the Master Defender keyblade(and by that extent probably the Land of Departure). You can see its keychain emblem when Aqua uses them:
boM7fub.jpg

The specific pattern of Terra's chains can actually be found on the Chaos Ripper keyblade, though the reason that is is subject to theorizing.
kZc0KCV.png

Leaferian

Awards
That's a really great point, Mirashade. So... the emblem on the Chaos Ripper, Terra's chains in 0.2, and the dark chains in the latest trailer all seem to share a design. I'd assume it has to be Terranort, then. Any other decent possibilities?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I mean... In chess if a pawn gets to the end of the board you can technically bring back a lost piece... lol

Yea, I entertained that possibility in that same post of mine a bit further down, but who knows if the chess Eraqus and Xehanort play hold the same rules as real-world chess. The board is a completely different setup compared to real world chess and the pieces are all of the same height and so far it seems there's a different overall number of pieces (15 dark and 10 light).

The chains used by both Aqua and Eraqus are most likely directly linked to the Master Defender keyblade(and by that extent probably the Land of Departure). You can see its keychain emblem when Aqua uses them:
boM7fub.jpg

The specific pattern of Terra's chains can actually be found on the Chaos Ripper keyblade, though the reason that is is subject to theorizing.
kZc0KCV.png
Wow, a really good find you made there.
I didn't even notice the bit with Chaos Ripper until you pointed it out.

This all definitely points further towards a form of Terra using these chains or someone connected to Terra who can use a corrupted version of these chains.

I see though that the chains used by Aqua there have a third, unique design of the chain links apart from both Terra and Eraqus.
Terra's use the unique rhombus pattern present on Chaos Ripper while Eraqus' are simple normal rectangle chain links.
Aqua's are rounded and thicker than Eraqus'.

That's a really great point, Mirashade. So... the emblem on the Chaos Ripper, Terra's chains in 0.2, and the dark chains in the latest trailer all seem to share a design. I'd assume it has to be Terranort, then. Any other decent possibilities?

If we go by the premise that the design of the chains is important then it has to be some form of Terra, be it Terra-Xehanort, the Lingering Will or possibly even Terra himself using dark powers.
Although in that last case it does bring up the question why he would capture Ventus with those chains, the boy he considers his baby brother and he is so dedicated to protect that he went against his own Master and father figure to do so and Sora, the boy who took over the role of Ven's protector (literally) when Terra could no longer do so himself.

Mirashade

Awards
I see you complimenting my noticing of evidence, and I'm here to now break your confidence in me with crazy theorizing. Below is a very theoretical theory that doesn't hold weight, but is mostly just an entertaining idea that popped to mind in regards to this:

Rather recently I had considered a thought which would be rather symbolic, but also kind of out-there with vague possibilities as evidence. It is, in regards to these chains, that we could also consider how the Land of Departure largely included chains in its design. The Land of Departure however, was then transformed, and now in a symbolic way Castle Oblivion is associated with- chains of memories.

You can remember that Terranort's way to fight back against Terra regaining control of his body ended with total amnesia. It would therefore be fitting to the situation, if the chains Terra had been using in his fight to gain back his body were a form of weaponized memory- fully symbolizing the chains of memory. After all, his body had submitted, and his heart had succumbed, but his mind was the one resisting. (Full disclosure: there's yada yada about maybe memories are stored in the heart in KH, but Nobodies manage to keep their memories through their strong will/mind, which I'm associating with Lingering Will in this case.)

Another tally mark on my "tasty coincidences" thread of logic can be noted the fact that Terra receives Chaos Ripper when Land of Departure is torn asunder. Terra having a memory-related power associated with Castle Oblivion would also give much more credence to reason on why Namine would connect with him as she did in that Orchestra scene.
In the end in regards to why I'm posting something like this at all, part of it was because I find it hard to understand why Terra's chains, used specifically to fight Terranort, are now being used by any kind of Nort against Terra's will. I tend to believe this is Terra himself, but the reasoning why he would do this is unclear. So, perhaps, he's helping Sora and Ventus. Then the line of logic connected with the corrupted chains being corrupted memory, could be, maybe, he's helping them... Face Their Fears?

Zaplen14

Yea, I entertained that possibility in that same post of mine a bit further down

Oh dang,
Sorry my friend. I got a bit ahead of myself.

The board is very interesting and I would love to see more about the rules. Maybe there will be a mini game where you can actually play this version of chess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back