• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cartoon/TV ► About modern Disney cartoons...(Fun Discussion)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

vaderskywalker

Awards
Is it just me or are Disney cartoons becoming darker, for instance, there is a guy in gravity falls (Bill Cypher) who (literally) rearranged another guy's face, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Maybe? Cartoon trends can flip-flop between tones. Remember Teen Titans and Avatar from the mid-2000s? Now people are enjoying the themes and widespread appeal of Gravity Falls, Owl House, and Amphibia. Meanwhile quite a bit of cartoons in the early 2010s leaned to being super loony and nonsensical.

vaderskywalker

Awards
Maybe? Cartoon trends can flip-flop between tones. Remember Teen Titans and Avatar from the mid-2000s? Now people are enjoying the themes and widespread appeal of Gravity Falls, Owl House, and Amphibia. Meanwhile quite a bit of cartoons in the early 2010s leaned to being super loony and nonsensical.
I guess, I'm just worried about little kids seeing things like a guys face getting rearanged, or that one episode in Gravity Falls with the shape shifter and getting freaked out, it doesn't bother me of course, and if I was alot younger, then yeah that would have freaked me out, but I have two members of my Family who are little kids, and I worry about them seeing something like that.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I guess, I'm just worried about little kids seeing things like a guys face getting rearanged, or that one episode in Gravity Falls with the shape shifter and getting freaked out, it doesn't bother me of course, and if I was alot younger, then yeah that would have freaked me out, but I have two members of my Family who are little kids, and I worry about them seeing something like that.
I’ve seen the scene in question and I highly doubt it would traumatize kids. Legend of Korra already had things like a double suicide. If it does traumatize them then you can monitor them I guess; it’s just dark imagery like that isn’t new for some cartoons.

Plus, it depends on your definition of little kids. Gravity Falls is TV-Y7 I’m pretty sure, so any child under that shouldn’t even be watching.

2 quid is good

Awards
Also not to come across as denigrating but the style of cartoon definitely impacts whether these things leave an impact or not. And modern action cartoons are way more.... cartoony, for want of a better word than their 2000s counterparts

vaderskywalker

Awards
I’ve seen the scene in question and I highly doubt it would traumatize kids. Legend of Korra already had things like a double suicide. If it does traumatize them then you can monitor them I guess; it’s just dark imagery like that isn’t new for some cartoons.

Plus, it depends on your definition of little kids. Gravity Falls is TV-Y7 I’m pretty sure, so any child under that shouldn’t even be watching.
That depends, what age is TV-Y7?

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
That depends, what age is TV-Y7?
Exactly what it stands for. 7 and up.

TV-Y is for small children.

TV-Y7 is for 7 and up.

TV-Y7-FV stands for extra violence, but it should be fine if the child in question can understand the difference between fantasy and reality (and I had no issue doing so as a kid).

Some shows on Cartoon Network are TV-PG, which means parental guidance is needed.

But keep in mind that all of this is subjective. It depends on the child. When I was 7 and 8, many violent cartoons did not phase me. I stayed up all night watching shows like Gargoyles, which is honestly quite violent by todays standards when it comes to cartoons.

You know the little kids at your house better than we do; if you believe Gravity Falls is too much for them, then by all means don’t let them watch it. But the show’s rating confirms that it’s suitable to children 7 and up, even if there are definitely mature themes in the show.

Last edited:

vaderskywalker

Awards
Exactly what it stands for. 7 and up.

TV-Y is for small children.

TV-Y7 is for 7 and up.

TV-Y7-FV stands for extra violence, but it should be fine if the child in question can understand the difference between fantasy and reality (and I had no issue doing so as a kid).

Some shows on Cartoon Network are TV-PG, which means parental guidance is needed.

But keep in mind that all of this is subjective. It depends on the child. When I was 7 and 8, many violent cartoons did not phase me. I stayed up all night watching shows like Gargoyles, which is honestly quite violent by todays standards when it comes to cartoons.

You know the little kids at your house better than we do; if you believe Gravity Falls is too much for them, then by all means don’t let them watch it. But the show’s rating confirms that it’s suitable to children 7 and up, even if there are definitely mature themes in the show.
I think the rating system may have changed somewhat since then, but thank you for the advice.

Back