• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► a tough choice

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_kenshin

greatest of the ungratest
ok this is a bit different from the normal topics on here, in regards to this is about my pet rat , now for those that can't stand them, just imagine he was a dog or something

basicly 2 weeks ago, i found him gasping for breath, as soon as i found out, we rushed him to the vets, now unfortunately the only vet local to us is incompetent and knows nothing about them

he gave me to totally different things he thought it may be (either myco , a respiratory disease or possibly a tumor)

he gave me some bactryil which is meant to help if its myco, now for a week and a bit it was going fine and apart from the twice where overexhausting himself caused him to start gasping again, he was improving and even at the check up visit to the vet, a stand in (the normal vet not there) said he sounded like he was improving

but today its been awful, he just went through a real long one where i was sure he was going to die (he was just laying down gasping) but now his settled down again to some degree (still breathing heavily, but not gasping, and even drank some water)

i honestly don't know what to do, i can tell by how he acts he has a will to live (Still eats and drinks), yet if his gonna keep having these attacks, is it more humane to put him down? i can't really trust the vet since considering he couldn't even diagnose what it was properly (when i've had people tell me ways he could of checked if it was either one)

so what would you do if you were in my position? put him to sleep or let him try and recover (since he seems so determined to), either way i hate seeing him suffer like this

MESMAR_RISING

Bronze Member
Awards
I think that you should give it some more time and listen to what the vet said. If your pet begins to get worse, then I think you should consider having him put to sleep if you honestly believe it's what's best for him. That's the only advice anybody who's not a vet can give you I suppose.

pk para

Justme3 is right.

Keep on going until you firmly beleive he isn't going to make it and then do what you beleive best: Put him down or let him die naturaly (which might be harder on you and the rat than just putting him down).

The only other thing to do would be to look up the symptoms, ect, and see if you could diagnose the rat yourself and go from there.

I hope all fares well for you and your pet =\.

evil_kenshin

greatest of the ungratest
thanks for the suggestions, after another bout of gasping attacks (to the point he actually sneezed out blood) , we took him to the emergency vets , they prescribed some proper antibotics (doxtcyline ) and so far seems to be recovering (no attacks, for the first time in about 2 weeks was able to drink out of the water bottle on his own)

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
That's a relief, hope it stays that way, and he keep improving. This kinda reminds me of when my Australian Blue Heeler got into some Anti-freeze, but so far you have a better ending. . . .

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc
Awwww =(

Give it some time, and try to see your vet again. But if there isn't much you can do, then it might be more humane for your rat to be put down, as difficult as it would be. If it's suffering, it might be better for you to end its pain.

I wish you the best, and I hope everything turns out for the better <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back