• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A theory on how a Yozora Kingdom Hearts game would work

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Sora's voice acting is perfectly competent and often quite brilliant. It is very very rarely subpar. He gets the tone, inflection and delivery right most of the time, unlike many of his co-stars.

I don't care how well-known actors are. Nor did I claim well-known actors would somehow sell more copies. I care about competence and quality. Many times, that correlates with star power, but not always. Not mostly, either. I don't care to find out who the Disney actors are because they're either good or simply unobtrusive. No one is expecting oscar-winning performances, just ones that don't take you out of story. Many times, perfectly good film actors do terrible jobs on KH because it's either not their medium, they had crap material to work with, or they were directed terribly. Mostly, though, I fear the biggest issue is actors aren't really acting but reading lines off a page without any context. It's quite literally phoning it in. Compare it with the astonishing performances in The Last of Us (which uses motion capture with actors on set).

I'm honestly surprised how many are content with acting quality among KH fans. I don't really watch dubbed animation, I'm more of a cinema freak, so could it be I'm just unaccustomed to it? I'm happy to concede the issue lies with me, just want to understand it 'tis all.

On topic, I wouldn't mind a Yozora game, though I'd only play it because it's connected to KH. Otherwise, the genre really isn't for me. Ten years ago, I'd have been smitten for the Yozora/Verum Rex stuff, but it seems like I feel ive grown out of that grown up stuff now.
Well since almost everyone involved with the series voice acted at least once before - either for the KH series already (original character voice actors) or Disney voice actors (in the blockbuster films), I think it's safe to say that it's the direction. Riku is the most painful one to watch in KH3 because he is like a brick wall, probably horrible direction to have Riku seem "stoic and mature". It's also hard to voice act when the animation is just characters looking at each other and not really doing anything else besides talking and/or just being exposition, which is basically reading lines of information (see Ienzo).

But circling back to your issue, what was wrong with Yozora's voice acting? I thought Dylan Sprouse did a pretty good job.

D

Deleted member 246005

I'd be curious about a game solely built with original worlds. It's just less fun to theorize about.

I'm iffy about a Yozora-solo game. His appeal is mostly him being Noctis-kinda. Verum Rex works more as a tongue in cheek reference. Granted I'm not a Nomura-stan so maybe I'm just cynical.

He could surprise me.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I'd be curious about a game solely built with original worlds. It's just less fun to theorize about.

I'm iffy about a Yozora-solo game. His appeal is mostly him being Noctis-kinda. Verum Rex works more as a tongue in cheek reference. Granted I'm not a Nomura-stan so maybe I'm just cynical.

He could surprise me.

I can't see a Kingdom Hearts game without Disney worlds be they Disney-proper, Marvel or Star Wars. Even 358/2 Days, the game where Disney worlds didn't even matter had Disney worlds for gameplay purposes. Disney will be integrated in some fashion in a hypothetical Verum Rex game, that's not going to change.

I don't blame you being cynical about this idea. After all, Final Fantasy XV is a mixed-bag of an experience even though that game is an amalgamation of Nomura's original Versus XIII ideas and Tabata's XV. I am willing to give Nomura the benefit of the doubt and expect the ideas that didn't make it into XV to be more realised in a Verum Rex game.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Please, no more Agrabah/Wonderland for the love of god

A Wonderland and Agrabah based on the Live-Action remake with the Verum Rex cast would be an entirely different experience than the traditional Kingdom Hearts exploration of Disney worlds.

D

Deleted member 246005

People joke about Dream Drop Distance being inspired by Inception. So I want a Tenet based level.

Or atleast an unlock able outfit ie.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
The first 3 or the MMOs (11/14).

The first 3 aren't as dense as later entries. So its easier to condense to a singular 2-3 hour plot. The MMOs don't really have a central cast of characters or a strict plot so you can tailor it to Yozora or Sora’s journey.
As someone who plays FFXIV, I can assure you that it does indeed have both of those things. The story is praised for a reason: it has characters, arcs, development and emotion on the same level as a single player main entry. The main quests are basically a single player game you can play with friends.

I'm not sure if you've played or watched any of it. But the Scions of the Seventh Dawn and the Warrior of Light are the protagonists of XIV. That stays true from the end of the base game and through every expansion since (the expansions play as a continuous story with individual arcs that interconnect. You can't play Stormblood without playing through Heavensward first. And the next expansion is the end of the current Big Arc with the current villains and connecting motivations (kinda like KH3 was supposed to be, but will probably be a lot better written lol)

I'd love some kind of crossover (XIV has done crossover raid stories with FF Tactics, Monster Hunter, and Nier Automata) that takes place in both games. But introducing XIV lore into Kingdom Hearts would open a whole can of worms.

D

Deleted member 246005

As someone who plays FFXIV, I can assure you that it does indeed have both of those things. The story is praised for a reason: it has characters, arcs, development and emotion on the same level as a single player main entry. The main quests are basically a single player game you can play with friends.

I'm not sure if you've played or watched any of it. But the Scions of the Seventh Dawn and the Warrior of Light are the protagonists of XIV. That stays true from the end of the base game and through every expansion since (the expansions play as a continuous story with individual arcs that interconnect. You can't play Stormblood without playing through Heavensward first. And the next expansion is the end of the current Big Arc with the current villains and connecting motivations (kinda like KH3 was supposed to be, but will probably be a lot better written lol)

I'd love some kind of crossover (XIV has done crossover raid stories with FF Tactics, Monster Hunter, and Nier Automata) that takes place in both games. But introducing XIV lore into Kingdom Hearts would open a whole can of worms.
I stand corrected.

Soldier

Awards
Oh no, I was afraid this was going to happen, someone would theorize that the unreality (Which is a really dumb name for another dimension, just saying) would be the way we'd get the live-action disney remakes into the series. Honestly, if that does end up being the case, I'm not looking forward to the next game, especially if Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is in it. The actress they got to play Alice just looks.... wrong. They couldn't find a blonde haired blue eyed girl with a british accent to play her? Really?

Also I have beef with Cole Sprouse solely due to the fact that I consider him and his brother old has-beens that were better off just retiring after they werent considered cute anymore. But no, they had to continue appearing in those Danimals commercials and stealing the spotlight from that monkey.

WaltK

Awards
I’m doubtful a game consisting entirely of live action Disney worlds would be financially doable. Bringing in any live action world would involve having to pay for the likenesses of the individual actors featured. It’s the main reason the PotC worlds are only saved for the A-list games.

D

Deleted member 246005

I'd add Mortimer Mouse as a side villian and an Epic Mickey world ;).

Devilish Destati

Awards
Having Disney worlds on the other side would kind of weird since Sora's world is supposed to be the fantasy/story book themed one and Yozora's is more sci fi/reality. They could do live action ones, Nomura said he liked Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland after all, but I feel like a lot of the others would be rehashes.

One idea I thought could be neat though is if they created a bunch of different kingdoms/worlds within Yozora's one like the nations in Versus XIII/FFXV but they're vaguely Disney inspired, sort of like the philosophy behind the Twisted Wonderland game. So you have a Red Queen OC designed by Nomura to look like a Final Fantasy villain and things like that. You'd feel the Disney influence but it'd still have a predominantly FF style aesthetic like Verum Rex.

Dark Rot

Awards
Even if the movie disappointed me as a fan of Carroll and Burton, Underland is too perfect for KH. I do think it stands a chance. Jolie's Maleficent should factor in somehow too. But I wouldn't want the whole game live action ideally. In fact, I'd want at least the cartoon Alice, Cheshire Cat, and Maleficent to be there too, and for the parallels to be part of the story. They could do something really cool with the Mickey Through the Looking Glass cartoon too.

I thought live action Beast's Castle looked gorgeous, but if they were gonna do an insanely ornate castle world, I'd prefer an original one.

As far as live action movies go, after Alice (maybe Maleficent), I'd prefer Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy or Avatar to the live-action/cg remakes. I did love the new Dumbo, so a cameo from Dumbo & Collette would be sweet.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I’m doubtful a game consisting entirely of live action Disney worlds would be financially doable. Bringing in any live action world would involve having to pay for the likenesses of the individual actors featured. It’s the main reason the PotC worlds are only saved for the A-list games.
That is the most valid argument against this premise but maybe they could get away with it by making them look just different enough from the Live-Action actors.

D

Deleted member 246005

I wouldn't mind something like this-

Or dead or alive venus vacation ;).

A game with Nintendo based worlds would be epic.

Verum Rex: luck of the heavens?

Last edited by a moderator:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Wouldn't that be the same for the Tron worlds? In which case we got an instance of it happening in a handheld game too. But you're main point stands paying for all those likenesses probably wouldn't be doable.

Honestly a game focusing solely on the Live-Action movies has little to no appeal to me personally. I doubt I'd be the only one who'd feel rather uninterested at the prospect of them using the less iconic versions of these tales.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
There's great story potential in Jolie!Maleficent and cartoon Maleficent interacting, but I can't help but feel that developers will drop the ball there.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
That is the most valid argument against this premise but maybe they could get away with it by making them look just different enough from the Live-Action actors.
Doubt that would work, judging by the backlash against the Avengers game not having the actor's likenesses. It's too off-putting to make a world look that close to it's film only to make the characters look wrong.

There's great story potential in Jolie!Maleficent and cartoon Maleficent interacting, but I can't help but feel that developers will drop the ball there.
Idea: KH Maleficent starts reenacting Jet Li's The One by killing her alternate universe doubles & absorbing their power: offing the Jolie, Descendants, & Once Upon a Time versions of herself.

Back