• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A Stray Thought on MX and Riku...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detronilizer

So after some thinking, I now see the possibility of MX being Riku's grandfather. YES, I AM AWARE THAT FAMILY DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE IMPORTANT IN KH, however, just consider these hints from BBS:

1.) MX's battle stance - That's right, his stance from the final battle. Why else would he be adopting Riku's stance? You could say that "there are only so many ways to hold a sword; hell, you could say that Eraqus is Cloud's dad for that matter," but really, Riku's battle stance is a unique one - I've never seen anyone else hold a weapon like that. Vanitas does it (obviously hinting connections to Riku which I will discuss later), and it seems that MX does it too? That can't just be a coincidence.

2.) Vanitas - As for MX's apprentice, you may as well say that he adopted his Riku traits due to Sora's already-strong connection with Riku. Okay sure, but what about the dark suit? Riku was able to use the suit even before Ansem SoD took possession of him. There could be a possibility that the dark suit is a sort of trademark within Riku's family, since I can't see any other dark characters in KH using it. MX, therefore, must have put his own "touch" on Vanitas as he was creating him.

3.) Similar beliefs - Both MX and Riku wanted to get off Destiny Islands. Both ended up embracing the darkness, getting warped by it, and going against their childhood friends' beliefs of light being the strongest force of all (Eraqus to MX, Sora to Riku). Both also easily accepted the equality of light and darkness.

4.) The SHM - This is perhaps the most significant hint to a MX-Riku connection. I know that some people don't believe that SHM is young MX because of his Terranort hair which was based on, well, Terra. But let's just say for argument's sake that MX's old hairstyle was similar to Terra's and go with that. Now, SHM's outfit looks a lot like Riku's KH1 fisherman getup. He also stated MX's belief that Destiny Islands was a tiny place. A later cutscene shows a transition from SHM to young Riku to KH2 Riku, further implying the connection.

Again, I know that the only thing that might be able to shatter this theory is the notion that "family isn't important in KH", and "why start now?". It HAS started now - haven't you noticed that BBS seems to be making a lot of family references (at least in comparison to the past games)?:

1.) Eraqus saying that Terra is like a SON to him.
2.) Ienzo's PARENTS dying and him being AtW's ADOPTED SON.
3.) Riku's mention of Sora's FATHER.
4.) The return of Kairi's GRANDMOTHER. (It would be pretty sweet knowing that while Kairi's grandmother is an advocate of light, Riku's grandfather in contrast is an advocate of darkness.)

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Yuuki

I'm the darkness within the shadows
hard to say. i dont like the idea of MX being riku's grandfather.... wouldnt the name "xehanort" in kh2 remind him of MX if he really was his grandfather?

also whats this about riku mentions sora's father? xD

Detronilizer

Yep, just read the Xehanort Reports, and they confirm that the SHM is INDEED a younger MX.

hard to say. i dont like the idea of MX being riku's grandfather.... wouldnt the name "xehanort" in kh2 remind him of MX if he really was his grandfather?

also whats this about riku mentions sora's father? xD

Well, Riku could have never been told about his grandfather. MX looks as if he left in his late 20's or early 30's, meaning Riku's dad could have just been born at the time. It's very likely that MX kept his departure quiet and thus would have been forgotten by the islanders after all those years. Although Riku DID tell Terra that "there was a boy who left the island many years ago".

As for Sora's dad, Riku also mentions to Terra that his "friend's father" brought him to their little playground island.

BladeofHearts18

Which makes me think that they are unrelated, because otherwise wouldn't Riku have said 'my grandfather'?

wouldn't that be a bit too obvious? and also, maybe MX left that suit for either riku or his son. either that or MX wore the suit himself and that is why vanitas looks like that. but i still think MX could be related to riku. cuz if he wasn't, who would he be related to??? most of the evidence is there, the clothes he used to wear, the hair he had looks like riku's. and anyway, nomura wouldn't put grandpa in there cuz nomura actually wants us to think instead of knowing everything already. it would also make kh too predictable.

MeggieKeyblader

I actually do kinda agree with this, it makes sense. It's kinda weird, though, how Ansem SoD, who is pretty much MX probably, controlled Riku in Kh1... so in a way it was Riku's grandfather who possessed him.If this theory is right, of course. o.0

And when was Kairi's grandma talked about again?

Last edited:

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
wait how could he be his grandfather
one riku was eight so i still dont understand how he even know that some dude left island over 20 years ago
even if he was wouldnt he know his parents would just tell him

Detronilizer

This theory is doubtful...

Which is why I tried to phrase that properly:

DOESN'T APPEAR

I didn't make it an absolute ("ISN'T IMPORTANT"), because if you read the whole thing, I provided reasons as to why I believe family is finally getting some importance in KH, at least putting shame on the whole "Why start now?" approach. So those little hints could set up for this possible big revelation of MX being Riku's grandfather... At least that's what I'm speculating.

Raun

I want this to be true, but something still bothers me....
If Mx is Riku's grandfather, then that means that his own grandfather took control of his body. That kinda bothers me.

MeggieKeyblader

I want this to be true, but something still bothers me....
If Mx is Riku's grandfather, then that means that his own grandfather took control of his body. That kinda bothers me.

Yeah, exactly, I think I wrote that in an earlier post. That'd be mad weird. o.0

Awards
On the note of family relevance in the KH series, I'll say what I've said before:

"BUT FAMILY IS NOT IMPORTANT IN KINGDOM HEARTS."
Boy, have I seen that line done to death. I wouldn't be surprised if I said it once or twice too.

By saying that, you're disregarding the potential importance of family. You and I both know that they could easily make it "important." Besides, it's not as though family is non-existent in KH (Sora's mom, Kairi's grandmother, the establishment is there). We've established our own etiquette and norms about theorizing, and one of the unspoken rules is to never theorize about family because it's "not important."

Saying that "Family is not important in KH" holds a different kind of weight to it than saying, for example, "Race cars are not important in KH."

Now, unless we see Pixar's Cars in the future, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that race cars have not been, are not, and never will be important in KH. The same cannot be said so easily for family.

We already have examples of family in the series, the concept is not utterly foreign (it just hasn't reached that level of "importance"). And among characters for which no familial relation has been established, the formula is still there. We have multiple characters who share traits for unknown reasons. BOOM. Explanation: They're related.

Do not misunderstand what I'm saying here. Just because I advocate the potential for family in KH doesn't mean that I want it to (or think it will) completely permeate the series. Aqua is Kairi's mom! Terra is Riku's uncle! Even is Dilan's third cousin twice removed! I simply see it as a very real and very reasonable possibility. Is it so radical to think of two people in the series as being blood related? Of course not. Or at least not as hard as visualizing Sora driving a race car.

With all of that said, I like this theory. I'm not sure how much I agree with it, but I still like it.
The fact that MX came from Destiny Islands and shares the same aspirations as Riku is in itself suspicious.
In the words of Riku, "what a small world."

Though, if this were true, I would not be able to shake these incestuous pedophile images of MX out of my mind. I mean, if we're to believe that his mind is what drives Ansem SoD, that technically means he was trying to take over his grandson's body.

iSeeYOU

If it's true then...Maybe he took control of his grandson's body because it's closest to his genetically. An he's just waaay too evil to care if it's his grandson or not

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
wait how could he be his grandfather
one riku was eight so i still dont understand how he even know that some dude left island over 20 years ago
even if he was wouldnt he know his parents would just tell him

I'm sure MX left DI more than 20 years ago. He's atleast 60 years old and judging by Young MX's apperance, he left the islands when he was in his 20's so more like 40 years or so since he left the Islands.

Now, this theory has some good points. But in order for Riku to be MX's grandson then Riku's father would have to have married and had a child late in his life. Let's assume MX is around 60 years old. So let's say he left DI around the time he was 20 years old. MX's son would have had have been born not too long before MX left the islands.

So if MX is 60 by the time of BBS that means his Son, Riku's father, would have to be 40 by that time. Now since Riku is 4 in BBS that means that Riku was born when his father, MX's son was 36.

Now the probability of Riku being MX's grandson comes down to whether you consider the likely hood of a man waiting until he is 36 to have a son, when most people usualy have kids by their late 20's.

MeggieKeyblader

If Riku is MX's grandson, then MX probably left before Riku was born, so he probably didn't even ever meet Riku. So, he has no idea that Riku is even his grandson when he takes over his body.

Awards
I'm sure MX left DI more than 20 years ago. He's atleast 60 years old and judging by Young MX's apperance, he left the islands when he was in his 20's so more like 40 years or so since he left the Islands.

Now, this theory has some good points. But in order for Riku to be MX's grandson then Riku's father would have to have married and had a child late in his life. Let's assume MX is around 60 years old. So let's say he left DI around the time he was 20 years old. MX's son would have had have been born not too long before MX left the islands.

So if MX is 60 by the time of BBS that means his Son, Riku's father, would have to be 40 by that time. Now since Riku is 4 in BBS that means that Riku was born when his father, MX's son was 36.

Now the probability of Riku being MX's grandson comes down to whether you consider the likely hood of a man waiting until he is 36 to have a son, when most people usualy have kids by their late 20's.

Considering that AtW is a father figure for Ienzo, it's absolutely not unheard of. Even if, obviously, AtW didn't have kids at his age, he still takes on that role. And given that 36 is well within the range of fertility (which drops significantly after 50 in many, though not all, males), a father at that age is pretty reasonable in both real life and in KH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back