• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tech ► A Simple Guide to BitTorrenting

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Website
sites.google.com
'ello everybody! I haven't been able to find the last "how to" thread on BitTorrenting (made by The Midnighter, if I'm not mistaken), so I thought I'd help all of you who get your music from youtube out a bit.

So first off, what exactly is "torrenting?"

Well, first off, a 'torrent' is a small file with the suffix .torrent, which contains all the information needed to download a file the torrent was made for. This file has the names, sizes, and locations of all the files you're wanting to download on it (or something like this).

'Torrenting' is the use of a BitTorrent client (such as µTorrent) to use these .torrent files to get the data you want. It's a P2P (peer-to-peer) filesharing method, meaning you get files that other people are willing to share with you.

A few terms to know:

A seeder is someone who has already downloaded the entire file and is still allowing people to grab parts of the file from them. aka you should be one of these

Leechers are those who are downloading the file from seeders and other respective leechers (if they have the files they need). Being a "leecher" isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if all you do is leech, you're part of the problem.

So, that's really all I know about the basics; here's all of the juicy stuff you've been reading for.

Step 1: You'll need to download a client. I'm only providing the link for µTorrent because it's' the best out there. Okay, maybe I'm being a bit biased, so I'll put up some other links as well:

Step 2: Hopefully you've got your client downloaded by now. So, what's step 2? Well, of course, it's setting up that client! You will want to be able to torrent as fast as possible, and here are a few ways to do just that.

Step 2a - Port forwarding!
This is the most universal way to get faster torrents. I'm just going to send you straight to a link that will be able to help you out a whole hell of a lot more than I can.

Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com

Now, just look for your specific router (the model number should be on the actual router somewhere). You'll have to do most of this on your own, because it's going to be unique for you. If you need help, I'm always happy to lend a hand, so just ask!

Step 2b - Speeding up your torrents

Again, I'm just going to redirect you guys to a guide that gives you all of the advice I would. It's got pictures, so it's already better than anything I would make.

10 Ways To Speed Up Torrent Downloads

Step 3: Staying Safe

Torrenting is not without its dangers. You can easily pick up a virus if you download the wrong torrent, and seriously mess up your computer. So, here's a few tips and tricks to help you stay on the safe side:

• Download torrents with a high "number of seeders: number of leechers" ratio - this will not only speed up your torrenting, but if there are significantly more leechers than seeders, there's a good chance it's a virus.
  • Look at the comments - oftentimes, somebody will have downloaded this .torrent before you, and if there's a virus, it's likely that they have said something about it.
  • Check the file size - If you know a movie is generally 600MB-1GB or an episode of an hour long show is around 300MB, anything too low or too high is a potential virus. Not always, but it is always good to keep an eye out. (A special thanks to Ethnic Woman for this one~)
  • Don't download dirty stuff - yeah you know what I'm talking about.
  • Install peerblock - This will keep unwanted people from monitoring your activities. YOU SHOULD RUN THIS ANY TIME YOU'RE TORRENTING, trust me, it's the safest way to keep the feds off of your back. The direct download link is right here.
  • Be smart - if you're torrenting ~100GB a week pretty consistently, you're ISP is going to notice your high bandwidth usage. Limit yourself, and don't binge. Downloading too much is the easiest way to get caught.

Honestly guys, I think that's all I have. Please post thoughts, comments, critiques, suggestions, or if you need some help. I know I didn't include everything, so any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Probably should expand on the "high number of leechers" thing just to make sure people understand that. Most virus-ridden torrents can be easily spotted by how high the seed/leech count is. You see these pop up with very new torrents or torrents of things that should be unreleased considering the content hasn't aired/been released/leaked yet.

Also another sign of it being a virus is the size of the file. If you know a movie is generally 600MB-1GB or an episode of an hour long show is around 300MB, anything too low or too high is a potential virus. Not always, but it is always good to keep an eye out.

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
Probably should expand on the "high number of leechers" thing just to make sure people understand that. Most virus-ridden torrents can be easily spotted by how high the seed/leech count is. You see these pop up with very new torrents or torrents of things that should be unreleased considering the content hasn't aired/been released/leaked yet.

Also another sign of it being a virus is the size of the file. If you know a movie is generally 600MB-1GB or an episode of an hour long show is around 300MB, anything too low or too high is a potential virus. Not always, but it is always good to keep an eye out.

Both very good points! I added definitions of exactly what a seeder/leecher is, so that should help a bit. I also tried to clarify what I meant by "high number of leechers," because the number isn't necessarily significant, the ratio is.

I also added your second tip to the "stay safe" section. Thanks for helping!

D

Deleted member 36435

actually i want to point out some stuff here that is incorrect

Install peerblock - This will keep unwanted people from monitoring your activities. YOU SHOULD RUN THIS ANY TIME YOU'RE TORRENTING, trust me, it's the safest way to keep the feds off of your back. The direct download link is right here.
Take directly from the peerblock website's FAQ:
While many people do use IP Filtering software like PeerBlock to help "protect" themselves from being sued for copyright infringement, it is not 100% protection. In fact some people believe that using blocklists like this are completely useless. Others disagree, and believe that even if it's not 100% safe, it still lets them download files more safely. Sometimes they invoke the "Bear Principle": when running away from an angry bear you don't need to be faster than that bear . . . you only need to be faster than the guy next to you. However, as I seem to remember seeing on the old Peer Guardian site at one point: The only way to be "safe" with P2P downloading is to not share copyrighted content!
PeerBlock is good at what it does - keeping your computer from "talking" with ip addresses on your configured blocklists. Everything else is up to those blocklists themselves. And heck, even if the blocklists provided 100% coverage of "bad" ip-addresses, and if blocklists were 100% proven to work, there could still be some bugs in the PeerBlock software that may prevent it from working correctly on your machine; we offer no guarantees that it works, and disclaim any and all responsibility for the consequences of your own actions online. If you're sharing copyrighted music/video files and get sued by the relevant organizations, it's not our fault. If you're stuck in a country with an oppressive government and are trying to get out your plans regarding the upcoming revolution, and those in power break down your door and haul you away, it's not our fault. If you're sharing some secret footage of Area 51 and the "Men in Black" come knocking on your door, it's not our fault!
If you choose to download copyrighted material from the Internet, be aware that you may be breaking the law.
So, no, you can still be caught downloading copyrighted material using peerblock and you are not guaranteed to be 100% safe. There isn't much data suggesting it does anything at all. I still use it myself because it doesn't really matter. If you are using uTorrent (which you should be you stupid butt) make sure to force encryption. btw, blocking HTTP on Peerblock will not affect your downloads because they use Port 80 and not much goes through port 80 that would give you away.

Be smart - if you're torrenting ~100GB a week pretty consistently, you're ISP is going to notice your high bandwidth usage. Limit yourself, and don't binge. Downloading too much is the easiest way to get caught.
Your ISP does not give a bonk about what you download and what you do. It is the copyright owners that do. So, while downloading more stuff means a higher chance of being caught because you are downloading more shit, your ISP will not care at all.

also, put something in about private tracking websites

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Don't download stuff from HBO, they are anal as bonk about torrenting. They WILL find you and contact your ISP, at least in my town. Everybody I know who's torrented True Blood got a cease&desist from their ISPs and a temporary internet cut off until they signed something saying they would stop.

My moron roommates also got our internet cut off for a day due to pirating. If you're going to torrent, do it right gatdamit

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Sweet thread, as some in #junes might know, I am horribly ignorant about this subject so gracias.

Persona 5 anime in HD shall be mine at last u___u

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
tbh, you're even less likely to get caught when it comes to anime and other foreign media

they give even fewer shits about stuff like that

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Another tip (I'm only mentioning it because I've seen people who didn't know this): Torrents aren't only for copyrighted material. Some sites use torrents to distribute their media (ocremix is one of them) in order to save bandwidth, and also as a way to make it faster to download their stuff.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
I was wondering whether companies can/do take action against someone outside the US,UK (or big countries).Noting that I haven't actually heard of a law against it in my country or from internet providers,im just ultra-cautious sometimes and some reassuring would be helpful.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Don't download stuff from HBO, they are anal as bonk about torrenting. They WILL find you and contact your ISP, at least in my town. Everybody I know who's torrented True Blood got a cease&desist from their ISPs and a temporary internet cut off until they signed something saying they would stop.

My moron roommates also got our internet cut off for a day due to pirating. If you're going to torrent, do it right gatdamit

I would NOT suggest Torrenting if you have Cablevision/Optimum Online. I downloaded Inception right before it came out on Blu Ray/DVD because I saw that my school was going to be showing it. Turns out my school bought a license to show the movie and didn't torrent it. I got a cease and desist letter at the end of the month. It scared me shitless. I've had Verizon/Comcast at home for like ever and they've never sent me stuff. It's kind of why I switched to Netflix.

tbh, you're even less likely to get caught when it comes to anime and other foreign media

they give even fewer shits about stuff like that

Which is why I only ever torrent anime or music at my college dorm now. Everything else gets torrented at home.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I was wondering whether companies can/do take action against someone outside the US,UK (or big countries).Noting that I haven't actually heard of a law against it in my country or from internet providers,im just ultra-cautious sometimes and some reassuring would be helpful.

Don't know where you live, but in Brazil I have never ever EVER gotten so much as a peep from my ISP or any company even if i torrented like 20 GB worth of pirated shit

I assume it would depend on the country.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
Don't know where you live, but in Brazil I have never ever EVER gotten so much as a peep from my ISP or any company even if i torrented like 20 GB worth of pirated shit

I assume it would depend on the country.

That sounds good.
But my country is very small so if they plan on catching torrenters im pretty sure it would be easier in spotting them than when in a country with a huge number of internet users like your's.But then again,I don't know if why would they give a damn about such a small country.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
^ It kinda depends on if your country gives a shit.
I doubt China is arresting people for torrenting.
Meanwhile, the US can be pretty anal about copyright stuff. But then again, we're one of the most successful nations for new talent, ideas, and entertainment products, and that's partially because we protect copyrights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back