• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A Release Date Question

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobjam

Awards
So some of us believe that KH3 has a possibility of coming out late 2015 in Japan for example whilst others say that 2016 is far more likely.

One thing I want to know guys, if anyone can answer, is firstly for the main console games so far (KH and KH2) - when were their release dates announced? I am interested to see the gap between their announcement and release just for kicks.

I.e. If KH3 was to be released holiday 2015 then according to when Square usually announce a release dates, when would its release date be announced (if you understand where I am coming from).

This may of course be a null and void discussion in some sense if their release strategy is completely different (a world wide release would be one of those things).

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
The release dates for each game can vary greatly so there's no way to calculate by the way you're suggesting. This is me recalling off the top of my head but I think KH1 and 3D were in development for only two years while BbS approximately four. It depends on factors like if there're any projects in the way, new consoles, developers working on other things simultaneously, etc. Generally though, games don't get an official release date until they're near completion. It's inane otherwise

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
There are many factors that can and will affect the development process, but to answer your question:

Announcement --> JP Release --> NA release

KH1 - May 17 2001 (E3) --> March 28 2002 --> September 16 2002
KH2 - September 26 2003 (TGS) --> December 22 2005 --> March 28 2006

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Also, in case you were wondering, I cannot recall any of the localized versions having their release dates announced any sooner than shortly after the Japanese versions were out.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
KH2 - September 26 2003 (TGS) --> December 22 2005 --> March 28 2006

Wow, I didn't remember that long a gap between KH2's announcement and its release. Was it based from this fact that some predict a late 2015 / 2016 release for KH3, seeing as it was announced in the latter half of 2013?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Wow, I didn't remember that long a gap between KH2's announcement and its release. Was it based from this fact that some predict a late 2015 / 2016 release for KH3, seeing as it was announced in the latter half of 2013?

Nah, I doubt anyone actually remembers these dates in order to use it to support their claims.

The 2015/2016 release date was based on the average development cycle for next-gen games, with consideration to the size of the Osaka team, experience with the platform, track record, any other projects, etc.

Personally I think even 2016 is pushing it.

Bobjam

Awards
Aha I just realised I did not write that clearly but you guys still answered to what I wrote ^^ what I meant to actually ask was if anybody knows when the release dates for those games were announced, not the games themselves. I am of course not intending to formulate any real estimates of things out of this. I am just interested by the difference between the dates KH and KH2 had their release dates announced and their actual release.

Sorry for the badly written OP ^^. Though interesting that it was roughly two years from kh2 reveal to Jap release. Not saying it will be similar with kh3 but this would fit an optimistic release for winter 2015 going by that logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back