• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A powerful weapon's name...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Re: CHI-blade

That's utter bullshit. They may not be something the plot revolves around, but they are important; why do you think Riku was saying that strange thing about the sky connecting everything at the end of BBS? One sky, one destiny...? Names are chosen for a reason. From the way this argument is headin

goldpanner, please be civil.....point is you're right, i dont care, it's a quirky fact and interesting, but not really important. one sky, one destiny isn't confirmed. though riku does seem to use a play on words with his name but not even sora understood it.

and they truly do not matter. they're not important at all because they're not explained in-game....X-blade was because it was explained in-game but not the others.

but even if i did care, i can still safely say they don't matter. it's not important.... Shion's clever name meanings is not important. simply the "no. I" was enough for me, and i'm sure we would all be satisfied with just that if we never knew the rest....

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

goldpanner, please be civil.....point is you're right, i dont care, it's a quirky fact and interesting, but not really important. one sky, one destiny isn't confirmed. though riku does seem to use a play on words with his name but not even sora understood it.

and they truly do not matter. they're not important at all because they're not explained in-game....X-blade was because it was explained in-game but not the others.

but even if i did care, i can still safely say they don't matter. it's not important.... Shion's clever name meanings is not important. simply the "no. I" was enough for me, and i'm sure we would all be satisfied with just that if we never knew the rest....

I am being civil, lol. Bullshit is bullshit, I'm not being mean, just telling the truth.

I'm gonna leave it at, you obviously don't think names are important despite the layers of meaning and references they might be based on, and you're allowed to not care. Thing is, they do have meaning, and those meanings are important in that they were chosen for a specific reason, and you not caring doesn't change that.

Allister Rose

French Lover

I am being civil, lol. Bullshit is bullshit, I'm not being mean, just telling the truth.

I'm gonna leave it at, you obviously don't think names are important despite the layers of meaning and references they might be based on, and you're allowed to not care. Thing is, they do have meaning, and those meanings are important in that they were chosen for a specific reason, and you not caring doesn't change that.

meaning doesn't equal to the same level as importance. problem is, you're overreacting. it's not whatever it is you said....it's also the truth, meaning of the names aren't important in the universe, it's just a tradition they do, but it doesn't in no way affect the story if it did.

why are they important? what would've happened if nomura didn't confirm their meanings?? they aren't important at all, even if i did care...caring or not caring is different form being "important"

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me

I ask this with love: Couldn't you go off and be aggressively ignorant somewhere else, Allister? Pretty please? :C

Allister Rose

French Lover

that's more of an insult.....which i doubt you did it with love...but since we aren't talking face-to-face i can't tell.....

either way, what ignorance is there? i know the name meanings but theyre not important because they're not explained in game. all of them are explained outside sources, a casual fan wouldn't know about all the names.....

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

meaning doesn't equal to the same level as importance. problem is, you're overreacting. it's not whatever it is you said....it's also the truth, meaning of the names aren't important in the universe, it's just a tradition they do, but it doesn't in no way affect the story if it did.

You don't even make any sense. This is a fictional story. There is a creative process behind the names, same as every element in the entire universe and mythology of Kingdom Hearts. It's part of the mythology of the series and changing it changes the mythology of the series. That's why they are important. If the names really were irrelevant, then they wouldn't have meaning at all.

why are they important? what would've happened if nomura didn't confirm their meanings?? they aren't important at all, even if i did care...caring or not caring is different form being "important"

The point which you keep missing is, whether confirmed it or not, Nomura chose those names for reasons. Which means, it would be silly to randomly change them because you don't like them or don't understand them or think something else sounds better. And that's the end of it.

Allister Rose

French Lover

You don't even make any sense. This is a fictional story. There is a creative process behind the names, same as every element in the entire universe and mythology of Kingdom Hearts. It's part of the mythology of the series and changing it changes the mythology of the series. That's why they are important. If the names really were irrelevant, then they wouldn't have meaning at all.
every name has meaning, unless they make up a new name that has no meaning. either way, all names have meaning. that doens't make them important.

mythology to kingdom hearts? maybe, an important piece of mythology? for me, it's a no. are we going to say hayner pence and ollete mean something?

The point which you keep missing is, whether confirmed it or not, Nomura chose those names for reasons. Which means, it would be silly to randomly change them because you don't like them or don't understand them or think something else sounds better. And that's the end of it.
i'm not arguing name, just name pronunciation.

kaialone

I have to say that pronouncing the greek letter Chi like "Key" is more closed to how greek people pronounce it,though its more pronounced like "Hi" (with he H as in "human") anyways.But the point is that pronouncing "i" like "ai" in forgein words is a common mistake in the english language.

krexia

Translator
Awards

I think they mean as Ecks-Blade.
So hang on... people are upset and blaming Square Enix for the fact that they didn't realise a χ is not an X?

Also, I'm with goldpanner here - the names are obviously significant, are directly discussed or referenced on many occasions by the staff, and to claim that they have no relevance is absurd.

Z

Zulkir

So hang on... people are upset and blaming Square Enix for the fact that they didn't realise a χ is not an X?

Also, I'm with goldpanner here - the names are obviously significant, are directly discussed or referenced on many occasions by the staff, and to claim that they have no relevance is absurd.

Yup, Xehanort=No Heart X =Don't know what this one means, probably refers to Xemnas or his future involvement with heartless.

Another X= Xemnas is the nobody of Xehanort and "Another"(Terra)

And yeah, the letter "X" was never used once to refer to the χ-Blade, we simply use X because we're not going to go copy pasta a χ every time we write it.

Also "Ex-Blade" sounds like something you'd call an asspulled gigantic sword out of Dragonball Z.

KH has a lot of fruity things, but "Ex-Blade" is pushing the fruityness to another level.

Absolute

Yup, Xehanort=No Heart X =Don't know what this one means, probably refers to Xemnas or his future involvement with heartless.

You know: its funny how Xehanort's name rearranges to 'No heart' when Apprentice Xehanort actually had 2 or 3 hearts in him.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

Pretty much yes. It's just that, a lot of people seemed to saw bits of the Japanese game and saw "X-Blade" and assumed it was "Ecks-Blade" so then they just get upset and angry when it is made ever so obvious that it never -was- called "Ecks-Blade". It's stupid.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

God that was irritating.

I finally got to the end of BbS in Terra's story, and I spoiled myself with the Japanese version. I know about the X-blade, and by god, it sounded cool.

But they took the "correct" pronunciation and called it a CHI-blade. This really ruined the whole X-Blade (KEYblade, whatever) situation with me. Did anyone else feel the same way?

What? They pronounced the X-Blade the exact same way they pronounced it in the Japanese version :/

It's meant to be pronounced either "CHI-Blade" or "KAI-Blade" Personally, I call it "KAI-Blade" because I try to separate the X-Blade from a normal keyblade.

Shadow Key

Hey, listen everyone, just finished Ven's story, I understand why they didn't change it, so I don't care anymore.

You can close the thread now, unless you would like to continue arguing.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
God dammit. This argument is stupid. The way they are saying X is fine. "Ki" is one way of saying it because some do say it that way. Others say "kai". Saying "ecks" would have been wrong. Chi is a liminal letter in Greek therefore representing the liminal state that the X-Blade is in.

It wasn't supposed to be X (ecks) because that wasn't the word. Can this argument end now?

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I have to say that pronouncing the greek letter Chi like "Key" is more closed to how greek people pronounce it,though its more pronounced like "Hi" (with he H as in "human") anyways.But the point is that pronouncing "i" like "ai" in forgein words is a common mistake in the english language.

That's interesting. Did the ancient greeks say it differently?

I argued with luap911 (sorry Allister lol) about this before the game came out, and this is what he at least thinks:

The use of a greek χ is too complicated and hard to understand for American children, so regardless of what it is in the Japanese, it should be localised to an English X. Also, X sounds better. It doesn't matter that this changes the meaning of the name (that MX explains in a cutscene), because those are unimportant to the plot, and the general shape signifying the crossing of light and dark is the same anyway.

It's meant to be pronounced either "CHI-Blade" or "KAI-Blade" Personally, I call it "KAI-Blade" because I try to separate the X-Blade from a normal keyblade.

People just have to remember that 'chi' is pronounced with a k sound anyway, like in chiropractor and Achilles and chimera and Christmas. Not like in cheese.

I was calling it the K-blade when I first saw the cutscenes, cause the χ looked like a K to me 8D

Last edited:
Z

Zulkir

I argued with Allister Rose about this before the game came out, and this is what she at least thinks:

The use of a greek χ is too complicated and hard to understand for American children, so regardless of what it is in the Japanese, it should be localised to an English X. Also, X sounds better. It doesn't matter that this changes the meaning of the name (that MX explains in a cutscene), because those are unimportant to the plot, and the general shape signifying the crossing of light and dark is the same anyway.

Why does everyone seem to hate Allister Rose in these sections /shrug.

The OP did say that everything was clarified concerning the χ-Blade to him though, don't know what else we can talk about concerning it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Why does everyone seem to hate Allister Rose in these sections /shrug.

The OP did say that everything was clarified concerning the χ-Blade to him though, don't know what else we can talk about concerning it.

Because half of the time she says something that is annoying or isn't thought out.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back