• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A lot of negativity surrounding this game...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Neo_

Awards
Have we reached people criticizing people who are criticizing people's criticisms of the game yet? :tongue:

drew0512

Awards
I'd imagine those two things to come from different camps

Nope, they often come from the same person, that's why I find it funny and why reading reviews on Reddit has become my new favourite thing. That different people have different wishes is obvious, so this is not my point.

And then as a counter To drew0512's point... those aren't mutually exclusive either. KH3 has far more cutscenes than Days, but failed to drum up the same kind of emotional reaction from fans. Personally, I don't think that KH3 has too many cutscenes, I think they're just poorly placed and badly paced. But for people who wanted different interactions, but wanted less cutscenes... it's not too hard to understand what they want. Cut some of the fluff, the unnecessary scenes from certain worlds (AHEM let it go AHEM) and make the pacing better. I mean, look at the Hobbit trilogy versus the LOTR trilogy. Their about the same length, but LOTR makes far better use of it's time. The Hobbit films feel like they drag, so little happens but it takes so long. In LOTR, tons happens, but it feels like a breeze. It's about using the time effectively.
Same as above.
Comparing a movie with a game is completely pointless since they are two different things. The problem with a game is that cutscenes interrupt the game's flow and most people play a game to, you know, play and cutscenes can be annoying regardless of their quality/pacing. Most importantly, we as individuals don't get to decide what's necessary and unnecessary, as it comes down to personal preferences. Cutting things off wouldn't be the solution, as you'd repair holes by making new ones.

KH2 definitely didn't have the negative reception this game has had, on the same scale. For sure some people were disappointed, especially with the base game, but I think most fans saw it as an improvement.
They definitely had the same reception, which is mostly positive (as reviews prove) with a vocal negative minority. Fans are always very critical (and at times overly critical). The cool thing about history is that we can't change it, so you can have fun with this.
Some people disliked it, some people loved it, most people enjoyed the game and had fun with it (which is a game's main goal) but they have several issues with it. The result is the same, regardless of whichever number you put after "Kingdom Hearts".

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
About the reception compared to KH2, we'll never fully know what the masses thought back then. It was 2005/2006. Youtube was barely alive. Many people weren't on the internet, let alone the kids playing it (I was like, 13 or 14 and the only thing I did on the internet was play neopets though I did scroll some KH websites back them, it was just for pictures and secret vids).

For all we know, the reception was exactly the same. I remember I beat KH2 in a week and I was shocked by how "short" and "easy" it was. (I've beat KH3 in the same amount of time). I wasn't upset about it though like I'm not upset about KH3. KH1 was probably harder for me because I was smaller, dumber, and even worse at video games than I am now. I didn't get on the internet to complain about how easy KH2 was. I went to youtube to watch AMVs and make my own. Lol

But anyway, you can't truly compare the reception of this game to KH1 or KH2. There's too much time between them. You could compare it to the likes of DDD, 0.2, Days, or BbS, but those aren't main story games so imo the comparison is still not quite right.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Have we reached people criticizing people who are criticizing people's criticisms of the game yet? :tongue:
lol

People in this community have an obsession with labeling criticisms (of a KH game or of Nomura) in some way or another to devalue or dismiss them. That's been going on long before KH3. If anything, I feel as if I've come across way more negative about KH3 than I really am because the fandom is so annoying and don't want to hear even the smallest criticisms. The truth is I love KH3. It's joined KH1, CoM, and 3D as my holy..."quartet" of KH. :cool:

LostArtist

Awards
[video=youtube;dw9s3tNMUS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw9s3tNMUS4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Veevee

Awards
I feel like a big part of the problem is that many people judge games to be either black or white. Either it's shit or it's great and nothing between is allowed to be true. I know a few people like that; it's quite annoying when I say "I didn't like that for this and this and this reason, but I liked where it lead, but I'd have preferred they did that instead" and people immediately shut down because I "insulted" their precious game. I think it shows real interest to look into something deeper than "it's great" or "it's awful" and that makes the true fans stand out. If you love something, you should still love it besides its flaws.
A lot of people even tell me to judge the game based on what it wants to be and not what it is which I can't. I can judge what I see; I can't judge that the author maybe tried to do a super deep philosophical story touching on the questions of life and death in his mind and happened to make a picture book for preschoolers. Extreme example and I'm always open for interpretation, but there should be the right ground for that.

LostArtist

Awards
I feel like a big part of the problem is that many people judge games to be either black or white. Either it's shit or it's great and nothing between is allowed to be true. I know a few people like that; it's quite annoying when I say "I didn't like that for this and this and this reason, but I liked where it lead, but I'd have preferred they did that instead" and people immediately shut down because I "insulted" their precious game. I think it shows real interest to look into something deeper than "it's great" or "it's awful" and that makes the true fans stand out. If you love something, you should still love it besides its flaws.
A lot of people even tell me to judge the game based on what it wants to be and not what it is which I can't. I can judge what I see; I can't judge that the author maybe tried to do a super deep philosophical story touching on the questions of life and death in his mind and happened to make a picture book for preschoolers. Extreme example and I'm always open for interpretation, but there should be the right ground for that.

but there exists people that trash on every single aspect of the game tho, with no stated positives, and sometimes even with an insulting tone (ex: that one youtube video that was shared on here), which fair that's their opinion. They can still be annoying to people who got enjoyment from the game though (especially the ones that are insulting in tone). The easiest thing to do (and maybe even the better thing to do, idk) is to just stay away and try to ignore it.

How should annoyed people react? should they bite their tongue? no, but I don't think they should take it too far.
and that goes for any part of the spectrum of opinions. just don't take it too far towards other different people, always have them in mind. that's how I want it to be anyways, as of this moment

sorry if this looks like a jumbled mess of thoughts, kinda is

Recon

Art of War
Awards
You can say this with any game. Every game will be criticized. There is no perfect game.

Thorf

About the reception compared to KH2, we'll never fully know what the masses thought back then. It was 2005/2006. Youtube was barely alive. Many people weren't on the internet, let alone the kids playing it (I was like, 13 or 14 and the only thing I did on the internet was play neopets though I did scroll some KH websites back them, it was just for pictures and secret vids).

Some of us are old enough to have been around back then and active on the Internet. There was already a large online community even for the first game. There was a huge demand for Ultimania translations, of which I did a few myself.

Yes, it was a different time, but it was also just the same as now. The Internet was far from new - I had been online for almost a decade already even when KH came out. Gamefaqs was probably the most active community back then.

As I've said before, the main difference is us. 17 years is a very long time, and no one who played the original game in 2002 can possibly claim to be the same person playing Kingdom Hearts III in 2019.

LostArtist

Awards
Some of us are old enough to have been around back then and active on the Internet. There was already a large online community even for the first game. There was a huge demand for Ultimania translations, of which I did a few myself.

Yes, it was a different time, but it was also just the same as now. The Internet was far from new - I had been online for almost a decade already even when KH came out. Gamefaqs was probably the most active community back then.

As I've said before, the main difference is us. 17 years is a very long time, and no one who played the original game in 2002 can possibly claim to be the same person playing Kingdom Hearts III in 2019.

this is so off topic, but jesus I think I just found your kh final mix gamefaqs guide. 2003, Damn this is so wild!

Back