• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A little something about a few of the dream eaters names

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meow Wow

Awards
There is something funny about the names of Necho Cat, Komory Bat, Kooma Panda, and Ryu dragon.

In Japanese, Necho(neko) means cat, Komory(komori) means bat, kooma(kuma) means bear, and Ryu means dragon. Making all their names Cat Cat, Bat Bat, Bear Panda, and Dragon Dragon.

I don't know how many of you already know this but it is something that flew by me until one of my friends pointed that out.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
There is something funny about the names of Necho Cat, Komory Bat, Kooma Panda, and Ryu dragon.

In Japanese, Necho(neko) means cat, Komory(komori) means bat, kooma(kuma) means bear, and Ryu means dragon. Making all their names Cat Cat, Bat Bat, Bear Panda, and Dragon Dragon.

I don't know how many of you already know this but it is something that flew by me until one of my friends pointed that out.

Yep! That was the joke we all kept making when 3D first released back in 2012.

My favorite is Meow Wow and ワンダニャン because they are just the sounds cats and dogs make lol

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
My favorite is Meow Wow and ワンダニャン because they are just the sounds cats and dogs make lol

"Wanda" seems like such an abnormal sound effect for a dog, because I'm assuming the "nyan" is for the cat. xD

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
"Wanda" seems like such an abnormal sound effect for a dog, because I'm assuming the "nyan" is for the cat. xD

"Wanda" sounds to me more like the Japanese version of "Wonder" which would explain the German translation "Wundermieze" which means "Wonder Kitty" or "Wonder meow" in English.

Meow Wow

Awards
"Wanda" sounds to me more like the Japanese version of "Wonder" which would explain the German translation "Wundermieze" which means "Wonder Kitty" or "Wonder meow" in English.

Thats what I was told

I was litterally told "that says Wonder Meow"

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I always loved the names for this stuff going on with them xD quality level Moon Moon
Their descriptions were also beautiful in many cases, like Drill Sye's:
Once upon a time, there was powerful rhino that could transform into a ball of spikes but hated magic... Well, you probably know where this is going.
or Electricorn's
Do electric unicorns dream of androids? More importantly, can you stop this thunderslinger before it's done gathering juice?

Do electric unicorns dream of androids?
5fec1d2481737c36b3c5c8743dffe8b781ea482d_128.gif

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

I derived "wonder" from the phonetics of the sound and because the Wondernyan name is nothing new to us.

The name is written in katakana (as are a lot of names and borrowed words), so I'm assuming it does mean wonder, but I thought Spockanort meant that it was a play on the sound a dog/cat makes as well, which just seems odd or extremely circumstantial unless she's only referring to the "nyan" part.

LOL. Wow I wasn't aware, but I think my usual thing about translations sums it up:

"Translation from Japanese to any other non-oriental language is a art, not a science."

Also I understand dog barking in Japanese is "wan-wan" so "Wanda" is kinda close, lol. (The things I learn from watching lots of subtitled anime..)

Thanks for this!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back