• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zackarix

Awards
The problem with a lot of these ideas is that they would only appeal to pre-existing fans. We would watch a series that fills in the gaps of canon or What If...? KH edition, but such a thing wouldn't attract any new fans. And without new fans the series is gonna flop.

But while we're proposing concepts that aren't happening: Dark Road should have the Disney+ series instead of an add-on to KHUX. Prequels are a common way to get around continuity lock-out because it easily allows for old concepts to be reintroduced to new characters and audiences. A series format would have allowed the story room to breathe, assuming it was successful. But the timing didn't line up, so the opportunity was missed.

D

Deleted member 246005

If it leads to RiKairi ship teasing then I'm all for it. :p
Don't do my guy dirty like that. :/
A what if with Riku actually getting his original keyblade would be pretty sweet. I'm kind of curious what his dynamic with Donald and Goofy would have been like compared to Sora
Check out Antipode. ;)
The problem with a lot of these ideas is that they would only appeal to pre-existing fans. We would watch a series that fills in the gaps of canon or What If...? KH edition, but such a thing wouldn't attract any new fans. And without new fans the series is gonna flop.

But while we're proposing concepts that aren't happening: Dark Road should have the Disney+ series instead of an add-on to KHUX. Prequels are a common way to get around continuity lock-out because it easily allows for old concepts to be reintroduced to new characters and audiences. A series format would have allowed the story room to breathe, assuming it was successful. But the timing didn't line up, so the opportunity was missed.
I disagree because outside of "KH What if?" most of our ideas are pretty tame. Plus Star Wars provided a good blueprint with its various animated series.

Clone Wars is an interquel for episodes 2 and 3 while Rebels was a prequel but they still served as good entryway for kids just discovering Star Wars.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

I think that depends heavily on what Disney's intentions with this show are. Create a product to get the general subscribers into liking KH, or to get new subs from existing fans & Japanese audiences? I'm inclined to think it's the latter, Disney is expanding into Japan & they've been commissioning anime, including 1 based on Twisted Wonderland, a Disney flavored mobile game. Meanwhile, Disney has killed Kevin Smith's Kingdom Keepers adaptation, which would've covered similar ground to KH but likely would've been more appealing to general audiences. That says a lot about what they want out of this IMO.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I think that depends heavily on what Disney's intentions with this show are. Create a product to get the general subscribers into liking KH, or to get new subs from existing fans & Japanese audiences? I'm inclined to think it's the latter, Disney is expanding into Japan & they've been commissioning anime, including 1 based on Twisted Wonderland, a Disney flavored mobile game. Meanwhile, Disney has killed Kevin Smith's Kingdom Keepers adaptation, which would've covered similar ground to KH but likely would've been more appealing to general audiences. That says a lot about what they want out of this IMO.

The new exec that axed the show specifically said it eas because Smith wanted to use too many IPs in one project.

Hmmmmmm.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The new exec that axed the show specifically said it eas because Smith wanted to use too many IPs in one project.

Hmmmmmm.
Why not tell him to scale it back, then? How many is too many in their eyes? Does KH ends up just being Disney Castle cast & OCs?

Zackarix

Awards
I disagree because outside of "KH What if?" most of our ideas are pretty tame. Plus Star Wars provided a good blueprint with its various animated series.

Clone Wars is an interquel for episodes 2 and 3 while Rebels was a prequel but they still served as good entryway for kids just discovering Star Wars.
In case you didn't notice my own suggestion was a prequel. That kind of series can work. You can enjoy The Wolf Among Us without reading a single issue of Fables, and recently Arcane has been successful among viewers who otherwise have zero interest in League of Legends. But in order to do that the series would have to stand on its own from the source material. An anthology series that fills in the gaps of KH canon would be the opposite of standing on its own.
I think that depends heavily on what Disney's intentions with this show are. Create a product to get the general subscribers into liking KH, or to get new subs from existing fans & Japanese audiences?
Ideally? Both. If they absolutely had to choose one? The one that will appeal to a wider audience instead of the niche option. And realistically, how many people are such mega fans of KH that they'll subscribe to Disney+ to watch a show that only works for pre-existing fans, but are picky enough that they won't do the same for a more accessible KH show?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Ideally? Both. If they absolutely had to choose one? The one that will appeal to a wider audience instead of the niche option. And realistically, how many people are such mega fans of KH that they'll subscribe to Disney+ to watch a show that only works for pre-existing fans, but are picky enough that they won't do the same for a more accessible KH show?
Another thing to consider is Nomura. It's part of the deal with KH that Disney can't actually do anything with KH without Square's and Nomura's approval. That's why the rumor said Square made the pilot episode and possibly the whole series.

To me, a KH for a wider audience translates to "throw Nomura's nonsense in the trash". Like you gotta dumb that shit down. Ditch nobodies because their existence is too confusing. Keep Ansem as he was in the 1st game as the king gone bad. Maybe make Xehanort a wholly separate unrelated character from Ansem. More focus on marketable Disney to draw in the viewers. Also make Kairi a contributing character and not just the trophy. Stuff like that.

And Nomura probably wouldn't like all that very much. It goes against his vision and he has the authority to veto it. So it's gonna be his way or the highway.

D

Deleted member 246005

Another thing to consider is Nomura. It's part of the deal with KH that Disney can't actually do anything with KH without Square's and Nomura's approval. That's why the rumor said Square made the pilot episode and possibly the whole series.

To me, a KH for a wider audience translates to "throw Nomura's nonsense in the trash". Like you gotta dumb that shit down. Ditch nobodies because their existence is too confusing. Keep Ansem as he was in the 1st game as the king gone bad. Maybe make Xehanort a wholly separate unrelated character from Ansem. More focus on marketable Disney to draw in the viewers. Also make Kairi a contributing character and not just the trophy. Stuff like that.

And Nomura probably wouldn't like all that very much. It goes against his vision and he has the authority to veto it. So it's gonna be his way or the highway.

A third option would just be to create a new cast/a new adventures. The Universe is a big place and they don't have to run into Sora and Xehanort right away.

Plus if it fails you can write it out easier. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

HakaishinChampa

Awards
A third option would just be to create a new cast/a new adventures. The Universe is a big place and they don't have to run into Sora and Xehanort right away.

Which is prudent because Xehanort is the harder problem to fix. A lot of his retcons take away more than it adds. Plus you can't fix 3 without tackling the games before. So avoiding him altogether is the best option.

The nobodies don't get confusing till Roxas enters the picture. Roxas, Namine, Xion and Vanitas don't give insight into their hosts. But that's a characterization issue other franchises manage better.

Unlike Xehanort, you could fix the nobody concept by just creating new ones. Adaptations could work like second drafts so just learn from 2's mistakes. Which is a theme you can explore in a story by having the new Org learn from Xehanort's mistakes.

Plus if it fails you can write it out easier. ;)
in b4 the new cast and story is part of Phase 2 of Kingdom Hearts

You have to watch the Disney+ series to understand KH5 :p

Zackarix

Awards

More accessible does not mean "throw out the lore" it just means that you should be able to enjoy the show without playing every game. I certainly hope that Nomura is professional enough to work within those bounds.

If I were a bean counting executive for a streaming service and was presented with a show that would only be watched by pre-existing fans (and not every KH fan will watch, not everyone will follow the series anywhere) of a franchise that while successful isn't a mega-franchise like Marvel or Star Wars, and was told that the lead creator was enough of a diva that they weren't open to doing anything else and it was his way or the high way, I'd take the highway. Even if they were dumb enough create an entire series without getting an official greenlight. Why spend money on a project that is guaranteed to have a limited audience when that same money could instead be spent on more profitable projects?

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
More accessible does not mean "throw out the lore" it just means that you should be able to enjoy the show without playing every game. I certainly hope that Nomura is professional enough to work within those bounds.

If I were a bean counting executive for a streaming service and was presented with a show that would only be watched by pre-existing fans (and not every KH fan will watch, not everyone will follow the series anywhere) of a franchise that while successful isn't a mega-franchise like Marvel or Star Wars, and was told that the lead creator was enough of a diva that they weren't open to doing anything else and it was his way or the high way, I'd take the highway. Even if they were dumb enough create an entire series without getting an official greenlight. Why spend money on a project that is guaranteed to have a limited audience when that same money could instead be spent on more profitable projects?

Bingo. You either compromise greatly or you bend over for Disney. Unlike the games, a Disney+ show will definitely have more brand restrictions and guidelines, and when the toys you’re playing with don’t belong to you, you have to be a team player and compromise.

D

Deleted member 246005

I'd be down for a Xehanort prequel but I rather it be produced on Netflix than Disney +. A Xehanort prequel should go to some dark places that I don't see Disney exploring in its animation.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperNova

Awards
A Riku centric show focused on his side would be cool, but if Disney wants to make a show that draws in a bigger viewer base they gotta do a soft reboot or something that tames Nomura's whacky lore nonsense.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The solution to getting non-KH fans to watch the series is pretty simple and what got people to even play KH1 - the DISNEY.

If they do WHAT IF episodes or make it an anthology series looking at different parts of the KH universe, just include the DISNEY side.

For example, they could do a WHAT IF episode and ask WHAT IF Riku entered the Olympus Coliseum tournament in KH1 and retell Olympus' story using Riku instead - we get Riku, Donald, Goofy, Hades, Hercules, Cloud and the Cereberus. That's reaching the DISNEY fan base and the Final Fantasy fan base right there AND maybe casuals that have DISNEY+ and are wondering what the heck is that show and will watch out of curiousity.

If they do it right, they could eventually build enough interest in the original characters to focus on them and original worlds in later episodes of the season. I mean, when I played KH1 for the first time (because I didn't watch Beauty and the Beast or Sleeping Beauty back then) I just assumed Maleficent and Hollow Bastion were the Beast's villain and world. So they could probably do a retelling of Hollow Bastion in KH1 somehow (maybe with Riku/Sora swapped or even Kairi in the original Riku role) and have The Beast and Maleficent and I think it could sell.

Not only that, but Sora's inclusion in SMASH basically opened up a whole new audience to KH and introduced things like Hollow Bastion to them.

2 quid is good

Awards
Unlike the games, a Disney+ show will definitely have more brand restrictions and guidelines, and when the toys you’re playing with don’t belong to you, you have to be a team player and compromise.

Nomura: and so I was told I couldn't show Scar coming back from the dead as a Heartless and include Nobodies in the same episode, and that I would have to compromise. Therefore, I directed the team to carry on with our initial plans, and presented the finished episode to them (Disney).

*Laughs*

Zackarix

Awards
If they do it right
That's a pretty big if. Increased Disney involvement might get eyes on the series but it won't keep eyes on it if the rest of show has no connective tissue. If you want to make a reasonable prediction instead of just a fan wish list you should probably start with a safe show and work out how it could still appeal to hardcore fans instead of starting with a niche idea and trying to make it appeal to a wider audience.

But you may be right about increased Disney involvement. The initial rumor's returning voice actors (Jim Cummings, Bill Farmer, Tony Anselmo) all play Disney characters with no mention of the KH actors. We can only hope they strike the right balance.

Back