• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Think KH would bomb as a Disney+ show given the nature of the series. It'd just get dumbed down and over-explained for kids, and the edgy Final Fantasy stuff would never make it in.
If you're talking about critical reception then I'll just take a "wait and see" approach. A streaming show is new territory for Square Enix. Who knows, maybe we may get a Square Enix + Walt Disney Animation Studios collaboration for Kingdom Hearts. From a commercial standpoint, an idea like this is just too nostalgic not be a commercial success given Kingdom Hearts' popularity.

Disney doesn't even know what to do with him anymore.
There are rumours that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is getting his own Disney+ show. Maybe Disney wants to give him a modern look so he isn't stuck as the retro Disney character, and from there, Oswald and his cast and be cross-promoted to other Disney properties.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
In our own way, we all do. Deep down, in the depths of the heart.

Our hearts are all connected by One Artery: Nomura. And we shall all to his Kingdom, come.

Just a loooooot deeper down in my heart tho. My right ventricle is positively cavernous; he's down there somewhere.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Honestly I doubt this new series has any bearing on the possibility of the rumored KH show. Its not like Kingdom Hearts was the first Disney crossover

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
They also denied Treasure Planet in DDD so...I mean I already dislike them. God I wish we got Oswald.
Really? I would've loved both, but I didn't realize TP was denied by Disney. I assumed it was a world SE considered that they ultimately decided not to go with yet (sort of like how The Jungle Book was briefly considered for BbS). That sucks if true. It means Disney only wants popular properties to be advertised--so the likelihood movies like TP, TBC, etc. end up in KH are nil. But wait, Disney were fine with them using Hunchback for the same game they denied TP's use for? It doesn't make any sense...

Reading through the past few pages of discussion, it made me think about it and I actually question how well a TV series would do after the initial hype of people who don't know what KH is checking out the first episodes. A lot of KH's appeal is being able to wander and move around through locales and environments from movies you like. That wouldn't really apply with a TV series. If you want to see PotC, for example, you could just turn on PotC instead of watching another show that depicts the same things? I would say that some of the appeal would be seeing SDG interacting with the Disney cast, but we know that Disney is fodder these days, with very little connection between the original characters and the Disney content. And the Disney characters from different films rarely intersect with one another either--so people who'd like that kind of cross-sampling wouldn't find it in KH unlike, say, the Wrecked Princess franchise that's come out of that scene in Ralph Breaks the Internet. The only appeal I can think this show would have with non-KH fans would be seeing the hand-drawn characters of classic Disney films in 3D, or if viewers simply really fall in love with Sora or one of the other original characters.

Part of me wonders if a TV series might open a can of worms in regards to replacing voice actors, too... That's one of the things I most fear happening to KH and a TV series would be starting over at the beginning when Sora was at his youngest. (IF it's a re-telling of KH1, I should say.)

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Part of me wonders if a TV series might open a can of worms in regards to replacing voice actors, too... That's one of the things I most fear happening to KH and a TV series would be starting over at the beginning when Sora was at his youngest. (IF it's a re-telling of KH1, I should say.)
Part of me kinda hopes we get 2 voices for Sora: one could be a vocal match for KH1!Sora and the other would of course be HJO. That’d help with the disconnect that happens in the games. Because going straight from KH1 to Re:Chain of Memories and hearing KH2!Sora’s voice out of KH1!Sora still feels odd.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I agree, hearing KH2 HJO with the old model in Re:CoM was a little freaky at first. That would be the best way it could happen if they only get a new (young) voice for flashbacks or any re-tellings of the first game, and HJO remains as Sora in the present.

Guernsey

Awards
I agree, hearing KH2 HJO with the old model in Re:CoM was a little freaky at first. That would be the best way it could happen if they only get a new (young) voice for flashbacks or any re-tellings of the first game, and HJO remains as Sora in the present.

I could not agree more. HJO is a good guy but he isn't a precocious kid anymore however I think it has something to do with the voice direction of the games.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Really? I would've loved both, but I didn't realize TP was denied by Disney. I assumed it was a world SE considered that they ultimately decided not to go with yet (sort of like how The Jungle Book was briefly considered for BbS). That sucks if true. It means Disney only wants popular properties to be advertised--so the likelihood movies like TP, TBC, etc. end up in KH are nil. But wait, Disney were fine with them using Hunchback for the same game they denied TP's use for? It doesn't make any sense...
Actually, your assumption is probably the one that's correct. It's believed that Treasure Planet was considered at some point based on the datamined pirate ship model, but neither SE nor Disney have ever mentioned that film in relation to KH.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I find it interesting how there's a Disney+ offer attached to the Epic Games release of the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Maybe I'm reading too deep into this but maybe they're already starting to cross-pollinate the Square Enix fans of Kingdom Hearts into Disney+.

Awards
I find it interesting how there's a Disney+ offer attached to the Epic Games release of the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Maybe I'm reading too deep into this but maybe they're already starting to cross-pollinate the Square Enix fans of Kingdom Hearts into Disney+.
Or they attached a Disney offer to a Disney game and it's just a coincidence.

Besides it's getting close to a whole year since this rumor came up and nothing followed.

If this series existed, there would've been more rumors or "leaks" bout it even if it is early in development.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Or they attached a Disney offer to a Disney game and it's just a coincidence.

Besides it's getting close to a whole year since this rumor came up and nothing followed.

If this series existed, there would've been more rumors or "leaks" bout it even if it is early in development.
Idk if there would be more rumors. If this is being done in-house by SE, they would have made sure to keep things under wraps after the last leak. They don't take kindly to western press leaking information––Nomura, especially. He would have gone scorched earth.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Personally I think its a coincidence. There's a bunch of weird bundles with Disney+ added.

Barrett

Awards
Epic Games had a Fortnite + Disney+ deal where you get 2 free months of Disney+ a while back since season 4 of Fortnite featured a lot of Marvel characters so having them do this again but with Kingdom Hearts isn't really anything too crazy to think about.

As for getting more leaks and rumors, I don't think we're gonna hear anything about it for a while. Last time we heard from any credible insider, the general consensus from all those who came out was that the series was very early in development, which was back in May 2020. Rumors and leaks concerning projects like this at this stage are gonna stay dry for a long time, be it several months or even years before we even get the slightest hint of story leaks, characters, casting, crew, all that before even an official announcement, especially since this project is animated which takes years to create.

Then again, who knows when those insiders even got a hold of those leaks and how long they waited until they posted them. But it's still better to not expect any rumor or leak about the show to come up soon and get surprised when it does, rather than expecting anything to leak soon but it taking a long while before we hear anything about it anyway. And this is assuming this is all true anyway.

D

Deleted member 246005

I'm still hoping it's a spinoff with new characters and a story. Similar to Star Wars Rebels or Vigilantes the MHA spinoff. It can be in the same universe but a different corner.

I had a new protagonist travel with a Disney character. Something like this kid-

Pairing him/her with Max Goof and Friends is an interesting hook. Other options include Oswald the Rabbit, Donald's friends the other two Caballeros, Horace and Clarice, an older Huey, Duey, Louie etc.

You can have Lady Tremaine and the Evil Queen pop up as the main Disney villians. They both wanna be the next Maleficent but disagree on who should be it. Having them fighting each other as much as they fight the main characters could be fun.

Kinda like when The Joker fought The Riddler in the recent Batman comics.

s-l300.png

There are probably gonna be an oc antagonists like the Organization. There are alot of cool ocs on DeviantArt. I'd be down for a new Organization with different goals than the Xehanorts.

Etc..... it's a rabbit hole.

Ps. Thank you for reading my late night rambles.

Last edited by a moderator:

HakaishinChampa

Awards
There was this leak from 4Chan that I saw on /r/Gamingleaksandrumours

Take with a mountain of salt because it was just a text post

FF7 (and FFXIV) will be getting an anime but that's not what I want to talk about, there was information about the Kingdom Hearts Disney + Series:

"Both of these projects will be directed by Nomura"

"While the Kingdom Hearts anime will be much shorter, but definitely more complex.
Made entirely in CG, according to the description it will combine multiple events from multiple games such as Kingdom Hearts Union X, Birth by Sleep and even Kingdom Hearts 3"

Awards
There was this leak from 4Chan that I saw on /r/Gamingleaksandrumours

Take with a mountain of salt because it was just a text post

FF7 (and FFXIV) will be getting an anime but that's not what I want to talk about, there was information about the Kingdom Hearts Disney + Series:

"Both of these projects will be directed by Nomura"

"While the Kingdom Hearts anime will be much shorter, but definitely more complex.
Made entirely in CG, according to the description it will combine multiple events from multiple games such as Kingdom Hearts Union X, Birth by Sleep and even Kingdom Hearts 3"
"According to the description"

What friggin description? If you say "according to the description" GIVE US THE DESCRIPTION.

The 4chan guy literally had more to say about the FF7 one than the KH one...at this point I'm thinking a KH E3 leak is more likely than anything fully substantial about this.

And not a single lick of evidence. It's fake.

Just like everything surrounding the KH Disney+ show.

Last edited:

HakaishinChampa

Awards
"According to the description"

What friggin description? If you say "according to the description" GIVE US THE DESCRIPTION.

The 4chan guy literally had more to say about the FF7 one than the KH one...at this point I'm thinking a KH E3 leak is more likely than anything fully substantial about this.
Yeah I don't even know what the guy was talking about when it comes to "description". Disney+ series information maybe?

But it's fun discussing these rumors/leaks, I remember the KH3 blackhole ending leak where I think Ven sacrifices himself or something

Back