• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Last reports said that the pilot would apparently be made in Unreal Engine by Square. So this would follow a majority of the cutscenes made in 0.2, KH3, and MoM outside of things like the 0.2 and KH3 opening cinematics or that screenshot you provided. Whether they'll keep it like that when the pilot is done and they'll keep it like that for the rest of the series, or if they decide to change the CG software and use something that isn't Unreal Engine? We'll have to wait and see.
The Mandalorian is like 90% Unreal Engine made backgrounds. The engine itself won't an issue.

Last edited:

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I presume Disney will actually quality control this in terms of writing, acting and dialogue?

Barrett

Awards
The Mandalorian is like 90% Unreal Engine made backgrounds. The engine itself won't an issue.

Oh I don't doubt how good Unreal Engine can get. It's just more or less a possibility I just threw out there if they ever decide to do it anyway, like say for example if they just end up deciding to let Visual Works animate the whole series and really do make it look like a lot of the cinematic KH openings.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I presume Disney will actually quality control this in terms of writing, acting and dialogue?
We have no idea what Disney controls on this project(if it exists) outside of possibly Disney character portrayals. We don’t even know what this project will be based on in regards to Kingdom Hearts. Xehanort Saga as a whole? The Keyblade War? The Aftermath of said war? It’s still too early to tell.

Awards
I find it interesting how the rumors for this series were circling around for a bit, but ever since the initial rumors, not much has surfaced afterwards. I really hope the series ends up being a thing!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I find it interesting how the rumors for this series were circling around for a bit, but ever since the initial rumors, not much has surfaced afterwards. I really hope the series ends up being a thing!

That tends to happen when there isn’t much to be said beyond it being in development. Also knowing SE, they probably caught wind of the insiders leaking the project and probably have everything on lock and key.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
i hope they get comedians to voice sora and riku.

also it was cool when i made the first thread on this legendary topic and was publicly beaten and silenced for it... an elephant never forgets

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
We have no idea what Disney controls on this project(if it exists) outside of possibly Disney character portrayals. We don’t even know what this project will be based on in regards to Kingdom Hearts. Xehanort Saga as a whole? The Keyblade War? The Aftermath of said war? It’s still too early to tell.

I'm still hoping for it to be a revised telling of the Xehanort saga. Make it an alternate worldline so that it's canon but is separate to the events of the games just like how the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Marvel Games and Marvel Comics are their own continuity.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I'm still hoping for it to be a revised telling of the Xehanort saga. Make it an alternate worldline so that it's canon but is separate to the events of the games just like how the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Marvel Games and Marvel Comics are their own continuity.
That’s what I'm hoping for too: A FF7R-esque retelling, focused only on the Xehanort saga.
Personally I'd hope for it to use Amano's character designs in the series, but they’re probably going to use their cutscenes models if it’s a CG series.

Awards
I think this could work if it's done right. To be honest I don't think it will be a retelling of the series. Nomura-san will most likely come up with an original story that ties in with the games. Personally I think Luxu's story would be an interesting idea for a show. I would also prefer an anime art style but CG is more likely.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
My best guess - assuming this is actually a thing - is that this series will be either an interquel or companion to the next mainline game, focusing on one or multiple of our existing protagonist groups. There's a word for this - "hyperserial narrative" - which describes stories that are broad in expanse, consisting of multiple micro-stories which add up to a broader meta-story across multiple media. KH as a series has always toyed with this structure but has leaned into it more explicitly in recent years; hence the on-the-nose MCU-style branding with the 2020 trailer, and the way ReMind/MoM/the mobile releases have outlined a future in which multiple branching stories will intersect/interact.

The supposed scope of the next game - Riku/Yozora/Sora in Quadratum - is already potentially so vast that it would be incomprehensible to also manage progression on all of the following narrative threads headed by our multiple protagonists in the same game: Mickey in Scala, Kairi/Aqua, Ven and his past, the Twilight gang (Subject X etc), and the potential return of Ephemer/et al, not to mention all the potential sub-plots (e.g., Laurium/Elrena, Foretellers, Xehanort's classmates/upperclassmen), which could be woven into any one or multiple of these narratives.

The scope here is huge, and it's hard for me to envision a world in which, with this ever-expanding "hyperserial" to work with, Nomura would opt to use a major medium such as a TV series for a reboot, instead of progressing one or two these essential protagonist threads. Sure, you could make the argument that KH has managed multiple storylines before through the release of multiple games, but I don't think that's really applicable here for a couple reasons:
  1. With rare exception, few of those games actually progressed chronologically simultaneous plotlines that were moving toward a common goal/outcome. At most, we had CoM/Days, and Days was made after that main arc was completed in KH2 to fill in some gaps. The same can be said of 0.2. Of course, some threads from Days later found their way into the broader meta-story that culminated in KH3, but that's a very different approach from what we're seeing now, with the stage/next steps clearly outlined for each group post-MoM.
  2. I think the days of smaller budget handhelds to substantially move the plot forward are behind us. The mobile games are obviously an exception, but it's important to note that these stories are not driving the present narrative/continuity forward; they provide lore and context, which can certainly be woven in later, but no one can in seriousness speculate that, for example, Lea/Isa/Subject X's story will be told in chibi-gacha format. These teams are working with hardcore hardware and major advances in game dev capabilities and it's clear Nomura has an ambitious plan for the future of the series.
The dev cycle for future games won't be short but there are a lot of simultaneous narrative threads to push forward; it would be a smart move on Nomura's part to leverage the Disney+ series for this purpose, and I don't see how it would "over-complicate" things as some folks seem to imply. If anything, it could help streamline what right now appears to be a chaotic clump of multiple moving parts.

Last edited:

KudoTsurugi

Awards
My best guess - assuming this is actually a thing - is that this series will be either an interquel or companion to the next mainline game, focusing on one or multiple of our existing protagonist groups. There's a word for this - "hyperserial narrative" - which describes stories that are broad in expanse, consisting of multiple micro-stories which add up to a broader meta-story across multiple media. KH as a series has always toyed with this structure but has leaned into it more explicitly in recent years; hence the on-the-nose MCU-style branding with the 2020 trailer, and the way ReMind/MoM/the mobile releases have outlined a future in which multiple branching stories will intersect/interact.

The supposed scope of the next game - Riku/Yozora/Sora in Quadratum - is already potentially so vast that it would be incomprehensible to also manage progression on all of the following narrative threads headed by our multiple protagonists in the same game: Mickey in Scala, Kairi/Aqua, Ven and his past, the Twilight gang (Subject X etc), and the potential return of Ephemer/et al, not to mention all the potential sub-plots (e.g., Laurium/Elrena, Foretellers, Xehanort's classmates/upperclassmen), which could be woven into any one or multiple of these narratives.

The scope here is huge, and it's hard for me to envision a world in which, with this ever-expanding "hyperserial" to work with, Nomura would opt to use a major medium such as a TV series for a reboot, instead of progressing one or two these essential protagonist threads. Sure, you could make the argument that KH has managed multiple storylines before through the release of multiple games, but I don't think that's really applicable here for a couple reasons:
  1. With rare exception, few of those games actually progressed chronologically simultaneous plotlines that were moving toward a common goal/outcome. At most, we had CoM/Days, and Days was made after that main arc was completed in KH2 to fill in some gaps. The same can be said of 0.2. Of course, some threads from Days later found their way into the broader meta-story that culminated in KH3, but that's a very different approach from what we're seeing now, with the stage/next steps clearly outlined for each group post-MoM.
  2. I think the days of smaller budget handhelds to substantially move the plot forward are behind us. The mobile games are obviously an exception, but it's important to note that these stories are not driving the present narrative/continuity forward; they provide lore and context, which can certainly be woven in later, but no one can in seriousness speculate that, for example, Lea/Isa/Subject X's story will be told in chibi-gacha format. These teams are working with hardcore hardware and major advances in game dev capabilities and it's clear Nomura has an ambitious plan for the future of the series.
The dev cycle for future games won't be short but there are a lot of simultaneous narrative threads to push forward; it would be a smart move on Nomura's part to leverage the Disney+ series for this purpose, and I don't see how it would "over-complicate" things as some folks seem to imply. If anything, it could help streamline what right now appears to be a chaotic clump of multiple moving parts.

So essentially you see them pulling a Kingsglaive FFXV but through a series telling rather than a movie. As much as I don’t want that, it’s definitely a possibility.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
So essentially you see them pulling a Kingsglaive FFXV but through a series telling rather than a movie. As much as I don’t want that, it’s definitely a possibility.

Yea, something like that. I’ll refrain from actually speculating what the content could be, but I think it’ll either help drive the next game forward, or work alongside the next game in preparation for the game after that. Whatever it is, they’ll definitely save Quadratum goings-on for the next AAA game, but that leaves plenty of other potential, especially if the typical flow of time (for instance) doesn’t apply between “Unreality” and “Reality.” Anyone’s guess, though.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Yeah using the show to deal with some of the open remaining plot lines would make sense. KH seems to want to have the characters split up and going on their own journeys leading towards the same goal it would seem.

Though I also wouldn't mind a "BBS vol 2" Fragmentary Passage type deal where you play different campaigns (the size of 0.2 or a bit bigger) all focusing on different characters and following the various plot threads while including their own Disney worlds.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Though I also wouldn't mind a "BBS vol 2" Fragmentary Passage type deal where you play different campaigns (the size of 0.2 or a bit bigger) all focusing on different characters and following the various plot threads while including their own Disney worlds.

Yes please. The elegance of 0.2 and the simplicity of its narrative is what makes it so damn good. It is, in essence, an externalisation of internal trauma.

The rest of the plot is tangential. And that demented world that represents Aqua's inner strife is so well done and so beautifully presented that it just forms a lovely, singular, purposeful story. To then have it also be a very literal descent into the wider KH world's depths of darkness just makes it even more deft in its execution.

It's so good as a spectacle that I can actually overlook often terrible discount anime dub dialogue.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
For as popular as Kingdom Hearts is, the majority of Disney+ subscribers are not experts of the series. Therefore, the only logical move for the show would be alternate worldline retelling of the Xehanort saga. For a lot of Disney+ subscribers, their first exposure to Kingdom Hearts would be the Disney+ series because they're not gamers. It would be illogical to make the Kingdom Hearts Disney+ show a direct companion series to the games because that would alienate potentially newer fans to the show.

Back