• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
What if what we thought was the Shibuya/Shinjuku game turns out to be this series? A 12-13 episode series meant to bridge the gap between KH3 and KH4.
I would hate that so much. For one, it'd be terrible of them to pull this. Hyping people with lies isn't cool. Secondly, I want to play this game-worthy story, dang it!

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I would hate that so much. For one, it'd be terrible of them to pull this. Hyping people with lies isn't cool. Secondly, I want to play this game-worthy story, dang it!
Well as long as it's a story we get to experience in some medium I don't think it would qualify as a lie. It would only be false advertisement if it was just glossed over.

Though DDD Volume 2 is definitely more likely to be a game then the focus of the tv series

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
What if what we thought was the Shibuya/Shinjuku game turns out to be this series? A 12-13 episode series meant to bridge the gap between KH3 and KH4.
I think that would be incredibly alienating for the Disney+ audience. That's almost 20 years of build up, lore, and character development to include in 12-13 episodes on a medium that houses people who aren't familiar with the series. Not to mention a Kingdom Hearts TV series primarily set in Shibuya would be missing the key component to what would entice Disney+ fans to watch - that being Disney worlds, characters, and stories.

Which is why a flat out reboot / reimagining works best for the medium. Anything that isn't that faces the alienation issue, as I feel like people would much rather watch a wide-eye boy teaming up with Donald and Goofy to help Alice in Wonderland, Aladdin in Agrabah, and Ariel in Atlantica than a confident boy with the strength of his 10 friends being in what may be purgatory after defeating one massive, universe ending foe.

SuperNova

Awards
I fully support the idea of a soft reboot/retelling of KH1 because not only is it the best starting point for newer fans, but it resolves any sort of issues of alienation that non KH fans might have. I know most fans are tired of KH1 retreads, but the idea of a Shibuya focused story, or Mickey Donald and Goofy looking for Sora, really just exacerbates and isolates newer potential fans.

Michael Mario

I think that would be incredibly alienating for the Disney+ audience. That's almost 20 years of build up, lore, and character development to include in 12-13 episodes on a medium that houses people who aren't familiar with the series. Not to mention a Kingdom Hearts TV series primarily set in Shibuya would be missing the key component to what would entice Disney+ fans to watch - that being Disney worlds, characters, and stories.

Which is why a flat out reboot / reimagining works best for the medium. Anything that isn't that faces the alienation issue, as I feel like people would much rather watch a wide-eye boy teaming up with Donald and Goofy to help Alice in Wonderland, Aladdin in Agrabah, and Ariel in Atlantica than a confident boy with the strength of his 10 friends being in what may be purgatory after defeating one massive, universe ending foe.
As much as I'd like to see the cast introduced after the first game featured in more than the epilogue of the first season, you're probably right... And now that I think about it: they can do a lot more in a reimagining of the first game beyond incorporating/nodding to additions from later games in retelling its events simply because they have a lot more freedom with what they can do without the constraints being built around level design and gameplay considerations.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
As much as I'd like to see the cast introduced after the first game featured in more than the epilogue of the first season, you're probably right... And now that I think about it: they can do a lot more in a reimagining of the first game beyond incorporating/nodding to additions from later games in retelling its events simply because they have a lot more freedom with what they can do without the constraints being built around level design and gameplay considerations.
Yeah, like I'd love to jump into Aqua's story and have her around ASAP but that is just pleasing this fan rather than going for the wider, larger audience.

With a reimagining they can incorporate the history of the Keyblade Masters, hint at TAV earlier on, explain Xehanort's motives and time travel in a more simplistic way rather than info dumping later on when convenient, pretty much just a whole bunch of editing and cleaning up of the franchise's story.

I say this because the series does have negativity surrounding its narrative that confuse even older people and the audience for the show will also incorporate younger age demographic. In the Frozen II doco on Disney+ they had a screening in San Diego where a whole bunch of kids of various ages watched a WIP of the film and the main takeaway from it was that things in the story needed to be simplified. KH needs that as well because this shouldn't be a show that's suppose to leave you feeling confused.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Well as long as it's a story we get to experience in some medium I don't think it would qualify as a lie. It would only be false advertisement if it was just glossed over.

Though DDD Volume 2 is definitely more likely to be a game then the focus of the tv series
Whoops! I thought this was the TWEWY anime thread!

tumblr_mitgjyClaR1s60yyoo2_250.gif

Chie

Awards
It being a heavy reimagining would be ideal for me because then it doesn't really interfere with KH proper. (I am not very optimistic about this and kind of want to think it's just rumors.)

Michael Mario

Yeah, like I'd love to jump into Aqua's story and have her around ASAP but that is just pleasing this fan rather than going for the wider, larger audience.

With a reimagining they can incorporate the history of the Keyblade Masters, hint at TAV earlier on, explain Xehanort's motives and time travel in a more simplistic way rather than info dumping later on when convenient, pretty much just a whole bunch of editing and cleaning up of the franchise's story.

I say this because the series does have negativity surrounding its narrative that confuse even older people and the audience for the show will also incorporate younger age demographic. In the Frozen II doco on Disney+ they had a screening in San Diego where a whole bunch of kids of various ages watched a WIP of the film and the main takeaway from it was that things in the story needed to be simplified. KH needs that as well because this shouldn't be a show that's suppose to leave you feeling confused.
I was mainly referring to making the retreads of the KH1 Disney world plotlines more interesting; but that would be a part of it. King Triton would be the main source of the first in the Atlantica episode; and for characters who appeared in BBS and KHI to allude to the former when noticing Sora's Keyblade and help hint at TAV for later on. I wouldn't give my hopes up for anything beyond Hooded Man Ansem doing more than implying that time travel was involved in how he came to be there, though; although I could be wrong and there could be a line in the "Ansem" Reports added theorizing the possibility or something.

I do wonder, though... If there were to be a "Season 2": how would they approach Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days? Separate seasons for each; or would there be overlap? I could see the KH1 Xemnas fight occurring in the episode prior to confronting Ansem in The End of the World to build up the Organization; and the births Roxas and Naminé (and possibly a scene implicitly being Xemnas passing along the memory data he collected from Sora during that fight to Vexen for Xion's creation) and likely the former's induction shown as the stinger

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I do wonder, though... If there were to be a "Season 2": how would they approach Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days? Separate seasons for each; or would there be overlap? I could see the KH1 Xemnas fight occurring in the episode prior to confronting Ansem in The End of the World to build up the Organization; and the births Roxas and Naminé (and possibly a scene implicitly being Xemnas passing along the memory data he collected from Sora during that fight to Vexen for Xion's creation) and likely the former's induction shown as the stinger
Neither, let the show do its own thing & not be weighed by a convoluted, audience-alienating lore.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Honestly, I think mixing CoM and 358 as a collective season would be a good idea. With their respective stories aligning with each other on the timeline, you could tell 3 alternating stories, rotating between Sora, Riku and Roxas. As long as it has the right setup, it could work.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Whatever direction this series takes I'm looking forward to worlds with actual people and townsfolk. We could finally get spectators in Olympus Colosseum

Awards
I'm a bit surprised that nothing else about this series is coming out of the rumor mill.

After those tweets it just went dark, to the point where I occasionally forget that the rumor even exists.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm a bit surprised that nothing else about this series is coming out of the rumor mill.

After those tweets it just went dark, to the point where I occasionally forget that the rumor even exists.

I think it is just too early in development for them to speak on it, or after SE caught wind of insiders leaking info, they found a way to stop more info from coming out.

I can’t imagine they were happy at all about the leaks and would have definitely contacted Disney to make sure it doesn’t continue.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I paid for their patron and asked about the series for an episode of their podcast last month but I have been hesitant to share that since, y'know, it's behind a paywall.

I guess I'll transcribe it and hope there's no problems with sharing what was about a minute out of a fantastic 75 minute podcast (and if there is, Disinsider people, I'm happy to remove the text).

"Ah man. Unfortunately not. It's just it's super early. There's so many rights things going on with Square Enix and Disney and where do the Final Fantasy rights lie, I'll have to look into that. And since it's a series, does it count? Cause film and series are two different rights sometimes so it's a little hard but it's super early. All we know is that they're looking at bringing the voice cast for the games back who basically voiced all these classic Disney characters. It's going to be animated - no way they're making a live action Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse..."

"Well can you imagine the budget on that thing and the licensing on that. Well, I guess not really licensing but production budget."

"Yeah exactly."

Which doesn't really tell us anything new outside of those tweets. It's weird how suddenly KH information comes from Disney sources since they don't really dip their toes into the series, but like they said it's still really early.

SuperNova

Awards
Maybe Disney is getting more involved with KH after the success KH3 had because they finally realised its a lucrative property?

Noivern

Awards
While everyone seems to have a consensus on a reimagination of KH1 as the setup for the story (which I'd love if done right as others mentioned, they could really make wonders with this by adding more references, editing some stuff in and out and making it more cohesive with later stuff), I think the best approach to this animation would be as a Chi duology animation?

The Gacha games were made to be an easy standalone to get in, after all. And they could easily make some fun stuff as the Book of Phopecy setup allows them to continuously use any worlds they want to use while being able to setup a cast of unique characters for the Player and other alliances, all the while selling merch of the different unions and marketing the very lucrative mobile games.

And for us consumers, it means we could finally have a proper adaptation of those games as Back Cover is really barebones (and it's more of a complementary piece rather than a tl;dr of the first game).

Back