• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Is it actually in production or still a rumor? I still feel like what’s the point though. I cannot keep up with is all the tellings of this game. The dlc, characters files, novels, manga I’m just not seeing the point to doing this

Reliable insiders who had the scoop are saying it is real and happening. They are typically people with big scoops about major films and TV shows and wouldn't have any stake in starting a false rumor about KH.

SE and Disney haven't commented on it, though, so treat it as a rumor.

Henryp

Awards
Is it actually in production or still a rumor? I still feel like what’s the point though. I cannot keep up with is all the tellings of this game. The dlc, characters files, novels, manga I’m just not seeing the point to doing this

Still a rumor until SE or Disney say otherwise.

And I feel you, but you should take the character files, novels and manga as secondary source of canon. They are great for characterization, but you don't need to keep up with them as they are only retelling of the storylines and didn't came from Nomura's hand, so any new bit of information may or may not be canon depending if it is brought up explicitly in the games. The DLC is very canon, as it is a continuation/filling gap of KH3. So keep up with everything that is playable or was playable at some point asa 99% of it is canon, and the other stuff you can choose wether you feel like reading or not.

If the series happens, which I think it is highly likely, it would depend on what the focus is. If it is inside the scope of the current saga, then we will have to watch it. If it becomes its own thing, with its own canon, it may be possible to skip it and focus on the lore of the games. Either way, it is a better approach that having a game coming to another platform than the previous one, as it happened with the first 9 consequitives games (PS2-GBA-PS2-DS-PSP-DS-3DS-Browser/mobile-PS4)

Gandalf-the-Wise

Awards
I can already foresee the war that this series is going to ignite. The Kingdom Hearts fandom will be far more divided than it ever was. Kingdom Hearts will soon join the ranks of such things like Star Wars, Dragon Ball, and Godzilla in terms of endless debates about which is the "rightful canon" and which version of the character is the most true interpretation. IF the series is a true retelling of the all the games starting with KH1, it already will be it's own thing considering the matter of Tarzan. I am assuming they will have to use Jungle Book or some other jungle based world in it's place, and that alone will be enough to start a debate about which did it better? The games or the series? Now we will have a KH series with Deep Jungle (Tarzan) and another version of KH1 with a different world. Funny enough wasn't Jungle Book originally suppose to be in KH1 as well?

The only upside to all of this is that all (or at least most) of the "KH videogame fans" who used to be at each others' throats about which is better between KH1, 2, & 3 will unite against the "KH TV series fans". Or it will just be an all out chaotic free for all lol. You may have some fans that may like both and create their own canon, blending the two separate continuities together. Either way it will be a glorious spectacle.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I can already foresee the war that this series is going to ignite. The Kingdom Hearts fandom will be far more divided than it ever was. Kingdom Hearts will soon join the ranks of such things like Star Wars, Dragon Ball, and Godzilla in terms of endless debates about which is the "rightful canon" and which version of the character is the most true interpretation. IF the series is a true retelling of the all the games starting with KH1, it already will be it's own thing considering the matter of Tarzan. I am assuming they will have to use Jungle Book or some other jungle based world in it's place, and that alone will be enough to start a debate about which did it better? The games or the series? Now we will have a KH series with Deep Jungle (Tarzan) and another version of KH1 with a different world. Funny enough wasn't Jungle Book originally suppose to be in KH1 as well?

The only upside to all of this is that all (or at least most) of the "KH videogame fans" who used to be at each others' throats about which is better between KH1, 2, & 3 will unite against the "KH TV series fans". Or it will just be an all out chaotic free for all lol. You may have some fans that may like both and create their own canon, blending the two separate continuities together. Either way it will be a glorious spectacle.

It's more like a split between "people who think the games should cater to them and them alone" and "people who understand they're old farts and the franchise is seeking to attract a new audience." I don't think there will be any divide between the D+ series vs games, but I'm also of the opinion that the series will be telling a new story instead of soft rebooting or adapting the games, in which case there would be nothing to fight about.

Last edited:

PStuder12321

EDIT: ninja'd XD

Feelsbad xD

But yeah I dont think it'll become dramatic like that but I think us veteran players will have a lot of people saying dumb stuff about the games. If you go on youtube people are all over the place saying dumbstuff, they only played on game somewhere in the middle and would go on about how they dont understand anything and such...I feel we'll get more of those kinds of people but thats about it.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

I guess it's time for a Last Fan Standing match over which KH canon is the best / true. Watch Nomura troll us all and have the TV worldline appear in the game and vice versa.

SuperNova

Awards
I really doubt the fandom would go that far considering most fans seem pretty content with other debates.

Gandalf-the-Wise

Awards
It's more like a split between "people who think the games should cater to them and them alone" and "people who understand they're old farts and the franchise is seeking to attract a new audience." I don't think there will be any divide between the D+ series vs games, but I'm also of the opinion that the series will be telling a new story instead of soft rebooting or adapting the games, in which case there would be nothing to fight about.

Those will be around as well. I consider those subgroups. You have (some, not all) entitled videogame fans that feel they deserve to have every single thing catered to them. You have those like us that accept that the series isn't what it used to be and will continue to evolve to attract the younger audiences. One of the reasons why I am capping off after KHIV.

I guess it's time for a Last Fan Standing match over which KH canon is the best / true. Watch Nomura troll us all and have the TV worldline appear in the game and vice versa.

Next thing you know Nomura will give us "Kingdom Hearts the TV Adaptation the Game". A game based on the tv series that is based on the video game series. Somehow it intertwines with the actual videogame series and the television series as apart of an alternate reality/dimension/multiverse. In the end, the three Soras meet and perform fusion to become "the one true Sora".

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think if anything, it'll become the current fan abse arguing with the new fanbase.

I don’t know. I haven’t seen that happening with KH3. Usually the discussions fall along lines of pairings, what should have happened vs the things that happened, and lore aspects.

Unless the show completely upends the lore from the games, I think it will just be more of the same and everybody will fall into these varying categories rather than there being any divide between old and new fans.

If the series was much older and hadn’t been touched in years, I think this could have happened. Instead KH has drawn in new fans over the last 18 years with the dozens of releases and rereleases, so it never falls out of awareness or obscurity.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
As much as I personally wouldn't like it, if the series was exactly the same but the earlier content is "retconned" from the games to include time-travelling Xehanort hints, Org XIII teases, Subject X clues in Hollow Bastion, Maleficent knowing about the BoP (from her return from the grave in season 3) and more, I'd accept that because damn it'd be good for Kingdom Hearts to be available in a mainstream way (and I work in TV so it's my favourite medium lol)

I certainly wouldn't argue with new fan members. It'd be like if the OG FFVII fans were getting into arguments with the FFVIIR newcomers, pointless because they're ultimately different stories.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I think you're confusing KH lore with a treasure hunt, though to be honest it's quite understandable given the fact that they're both long arduous tasks to complete with very little payoff.

I mean in retrospect it was overkill and really ended up making things more complicated than it needed to be, but I understand why Nomura wanted to make handheld title. Without the games, the KH franchise would've been dead until 2013. I feel like BBS should've stayed as a PS2 title (or PS3 since it came out in 2010), but Days and Coded work as a handheld title. DDD I'm fine with being on the 3DS but if they had made it with the intention of it being for 2.8 (I know 2.8 wasn't a thing by 2013 but hear me out), there's a lot more they could've done with DDD in terms of plot.

As much as people complain about KH being convoluted, it's really only DDD that made it that way. And you can tell that in KH3 Nomura was like "oh shit maybe I goofed here", because other than the Power of Waking, Riku being a Master and the ending leading right into KH3, the events in DDD aren't really addressed all that much. Although DDD is probably the way it is because of it setting the groundwork for the next saga, since it's clear that dreams and sleep are a big part here.

Awards
I mean in retrospect it was overkill and really ended up making things more complicated than it needed to be, but I understand why Nomura wanted to make handheld title. Without the games, the KH franchise would've been dead until 2013. I feel like BBS should've stayed as a PS2 title (or PS3 since it came out in 2010), but Days and Coded work as a handheld title. DDD I'm fine with being on the 3DS but if they had made it with the intention of it being for 2.8 (I know 2.8 wasn't a thing by 2013 but hear me out), there's a lot more they could've done with DDD in terms of plot.

As much as people complain about KH being convoluted, it's really only DDD that made it that way. And you can tell that in KH3 Nomura was like "oh shit maybe I goofed here", because other than the Power of Waking, Riku being a Master and the ending leading right into KH3, the events in DDD aren't really addressed all that much. Although DDD is probably the way it is because of it setting the groundwork for the next saga, since it's clear that dreams and sleep are a big part here.
I feel like I'm one of the few people who agree with you that DDD is the reason why KH is seen as convoluted, the only other reason in my book being the internet overexaggerating. But my reason why is due to having nearly all the plot at the end portion, so it's partially cuz of things happening one after the other with barely any breathing room.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

To be honest, I thought that DDD's journals were actually a big help in clarifying a lot and setting everything straight before KH3. The plot of DDD was basically to explain Master Xehanort's ultimate plan, give Sora and Riku/Master Xehanort a face-to-face confrontation (which they lacked), and to explain why Sora is weak at the start of KH3 (I feel like Nomura needs to stop this trend, even though it's a cool detail, it seems like every time new plot elements get made just for this).

After speaking with a fan of KH1/2 (hasn't played anything beyond those years ago, just reading stuff about future games), I realized that the presentation of the information in the games is what creates the convoluted nature. I never really saw it as convoluted because I knew all the details and I read the Ultimania etc. Maybe now that Nomura has all the details, plot twists, crazy reveals, explanations etc. readily available, the TV series can work on how to package all of that information into a more cohesive/effective complete product?

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Someone might have suggested this already but what if this TV series is setting up the plot for KH5? Think about it, The Age of Fairytale stuff was being setup before KH3 happened, and KH4 is almost 90% likely going to be about the Foretellers introduced in the mobile games. Maybe the TV series is setting up for the saga after the Foretellers and we'll see several hints of it in KH4 instead of focusing on the story there. How evil would that be? Don't bother flaming me for suggesting it, I'm wearing fire absorbing equipment.

But in all seriousness it's probably just to spread KH. Like the scholastic book coming out...maybe.

Back