• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

GreyouTT

Awards
And frankly, I'm not enthusiastic about the show's potential regarding the writing, either. I mean, we all know Nomura ain't no writer. If we take X Back Cover as an example of what we might see with KH translated to a TV medium, then frankly I'm not interested. Dialogue in the KH series blows, I hate to say it but it's true.

He's not the one who writes the dialogue in the first place. He just outlines the plot points and makes all the lore. That doesn't excuse him from okaying it as the Director of course. But then again, I dunno if he even oversees the English translation.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
If it's like the manga adaptations then I'm cool, as those are the best ways to view KH for me. Still... I have mixed feelings about this. I don't know if I should be excited about this or worried sick. If they did it like how SirSkyward Wing suggested and they be like the Mickey Shorts with gags involving Sora and friends then I'm all for it, just like the manga. I'm approaching this with strong caution.

disney233

Awards
If it's like the manga adaptations then I'm cool, as those are the best ways to view KH for me. Still... I have mixed feelings about this. I don't know if I should be excited about this or worried sick. If they did it like how SirSkyward Wing suggested and they be like the Mickey Shorts with gags involving Sora and friends then I'm all for it, just like the manga. I'm approaching this with strong caution.
Honestly basing it off the Manga is probably the best way for them to make a KH series. Especially if the tv series takes place in KH1 as the cancelled animated adaptation intended.

saintfighteraqua

Awards
As much as I want this I also don't see how it can work out.
I love KH's story but it honestly isn't that great. It could be with the right writers, but I can't see it getting a second season if it's anything like the writing in KH 3.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Watch it turn out Nomura hasn't been told about this.
While this would be the best outcome, Square was called on to do the pilot (which may be redone by a different studio, as this could be a proof of concept) so he would know.

U.N. Owen

Awards
I'm personally hoping, no praying it's a What If? series or a series of Mickey Mouse Works style shorts that don't have much bearing on the overall plot.

Could you imagine if Nomura was spearheading the project? He would probably retell the plot of the series and then make that AU relevant to the main series.

Now, if this was just an animated retelling of the games like how we get animated adaptations of various comic books like the DCAU, then I'll be okay with it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
He's not the one who writes the dialogue in the first place. He just outlines the plot points and makes all the lore. That doesn't excuse him from okaying it as the Director of course. But then again, I dunno if he even oversees the English translation.

Uhh...so...that was actually proven false. Nomura also does the scripting lol

--You're writing the scenario yourself?

Nomura: When it comes to the scenario, including the script, in the end I write everything myself. That's not just for Toy Box. I haven't made this public before, but after KH2 generally everything was written by me, especially KH 358/2 Days.

--I see. I had thought that you assemble the plot, and then the script and other small details were assigned to someone else.

Nomura: That is how it was in the beginning. However, ever since KH2, roughly speaking I will create the outline of the scenario myself, and then (Masaru) Oka will take that and create a springboard scenario, including dialogue, that takes into consideration requests from the level design team. Then after that, I write the final manuscript myself. That's the general flow. Other staff have worked on the scenario in the past, but the KH series lore is complicated, and when lots of people are involved it gets hard to keep everyone updated on it all. In the end, I'm the one with the best grasp on it, so that's why we ended up with the style we have today.

GreyouTT

Awards
You guys remember the third line he mentioned in the UX letter?

Nomura: When it comes to the scenario, including the script, in the end I write everything myself. That's not just for Toy Box. I haven't made this public before, but after KH2 generally everything was written by me, especially KH 358/2 Days.

Oh. TIL.

I will create the outline of the scenario myself, and then (Masaru) Oka will take that and create a springboard scenario, including dialogue, that takes into consideration requests from the level design team. Then after that, I write the final manuscript myself.

Wait doesn't that mean he technically bases his script on Oka's stuff? Or am I misinterpreting this?

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I want this to be true AND that Nomura is handling the story, so everyone can be upset and in an uproar before even watching the first damn episode, ACTUALLY watch what they put out when it's officially released, and then go, "Hey, that was actually pretty good." This train is never late lmao, can't wait. Let the next Kingdom Hearts era begin.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
You guys remember the third line he mentioned in the UX letter?

Oh. TIL.

Wait doesn't that mean he technically bases his script on Oka's stuff? Or am I misinterpreting this?

It’s collaborative for the most part, but the implication here is that he does the important aspects then Oka makes the full script then Nomura goes in and does his own final rewrite.

The dialogue and writing is consistent enough between Days all the way to KH3 despite the various scenario writers like Daisuke Watababe, Tomoco Kanemaki, and Masaru Oka working on the games to show that Nomura‘s probably writing the bulk of the main character dialogue.

Henryp

Awards
Not really excited about this...

I will try to be open minded and give it a chance.
Hopefully it works as a form of a reboot/it's own independent thing and recaptures the storytelling and charm KH1 had

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Has anyone considered this could be a new story / continuation and/or branching of the ongoing canon? Could be related to the “3rd line” Nomura mentioned.

That’s my hope at least, if this is to be believed. The prospect of a re-imagining of the series scares me.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Has anyone considered this could be a new story / continuation and/or branching of the ongoing canon? Could be related to the “3rd line” Nomura mentioned.

That’s my hope at least, if this is to be believed. The prospect of a re-imagining of the series scares me.
That would suck for fans who are invested in the games yet dont want to get a Disney+ account, lol

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Was hoping for traditional animation if true. Oh well.

Guess I need to know what the adaptation would be about before getting excited. Whether it's a reimagining or a side story to the game series
KH deserves to be traditionally animated! It would be so beautiful.😭

Whatever the series winds up being, I'm scared either way.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I don’t think it’ll branch too far out from what we have had in the games. For the pilot, I imagine they chose Square with Unreal Engine 4 so they can reused a whole bunch of assets
and make it on the cheap.

They have Destiny Islands built, they have Sora and Riku’s KH1 models, they have Donald, Goofy, Minnie, Daisy, and Pluto’s models. They just need to make Kairi’s KH1 model, as well as Tidus, Selphie, and Wakka.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
While this would be the best outcome, Square was called on to do the pilot (which may be redone by a different studio, as this could be a proof of concept) so he would know.
As long as Nomura knows. I just don't want him near it. 😂

I don’t think it’ll branch too far out from what we have had in the games. For the pilot, I imagine they chose Square with Unreal Engine 4 so they can reused a whole bunch of assets
and make it on the cheap.

They have Destiny Islands built, they have Sora and Riku’s KH1 models, they have Donald, Goofy, Minnie, Daisy, and Pluto’s models. They just need to make Kairi’s KH1 model, as well as Tidus, Selphie, and Wakka.
That is if FF characters will even be in it....

If they do reuse KH3's assets, they better remake KH1 Sora because that thing is ugly as sin.

That would suck for fans who are invested in the games yet dont want to get a Disney+ account, lol
200.gif

OneDandelion

Awards
Why are people opposed to Nomura handling the story exactly? Directing games I understand, but I would take an original story from Nomura over reexperiencing KH1 and the story so far for the 99th time

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

Right. Nobody knows what this will be, we don't even have a confirmation that it's real. This could literally be Kingdom Hearts: Dark Road -The Anime- if that's what Nomura wants to do (assuming he knows about this). Or even touching on the Keyblade War from UX, but actually in a format that's not 5 minutes total of new information every month. Or, Mickey's journey from Post-BBS to KH1. There's a lot of angles to approach this, if Disney isn't aiming for brand new fans with this and Nomura's on board.

Now, if it's a re-imagining... Chances are, it's non-canon (since Nomura ultimately decides this) and you're more or less getting the same KH1 story unless he ties in KH3 Remind and Yozora in... Which he absolutely would.

If they tapped Square Enix for the assets and everything, I'd imagine we'd be getting something that looked similar to how KH3 looked. Unless they're bringing back the old KH3 style from the grave, the style where everyone looked more cartoonish, which would actually be pretty cool.

They're getting off easy, at least they didn't have to buy a PSP, DS, a 3DS and a capable smartphone just to get the latest story lmao. Going out of your way for new KH lore is like a rite of passage, and realize that the true lore was the friends we made along the way.

Back