• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
That's a pretty big if. Increased Disney involvement might get eyes on the series but it won't keep eyes on it if the rest of show has no connective tissue. If you want to make a reasonable prediction instead of just a fan wish list you should probably start with a safe show and work out how it could still appeal to hardcore fans instead of starting with a niche idea and trying to make it appeal to a wider audience.

But you may be right about increased Disney involvement. The initial rumor's returning voice actors (Jim Cummings, Bill Farmer, Tony Anselmo) all play Disney characters with no mention of the KH actors. We can only hope they strike the right balance.
I mean we're all really basing this show around how it appeals to the general public with DISNEY+. I'm pretty it will get more views and attention than some of the other brand new shows DISNEY+ debuted like that President TV show or any other show that doesn't really have anything to draw attention.

Come to think of it, DISNEY+ hasn't had any animated shows (as far as I know) that were major hits like The Mandalorian or WandaVision. Maybe they are considering actually using this show as a vehicle to show off DISNEY+'s animation side for serious consideration? Again, as far as I know there haven't been any "standout" animated shows on DISNEY+. Especially if the KH series leans more on the side of drama instead of comedy.

Awards
Come to think of it, DISNEY+ hasn't had any animated shows (as far as I know) that were major hits like The Mandalorian or WandaVision.
Monsters at Work comes to mind, but I'm not sure how big of a hit that was. And on the Star Wars side, The Bad Batch and Visions are Disney+ originals and while Clone Wars season 7 is a continuation of a Cartoon Network series, it's easily the biggest animated hit they've had so far. Upcoming animated series for D+ consist of Baymax, Zootopia+, Moana: The Series, X-Men '97 and Spider-Man: Freshman Year (among others). So there is a possibility that a KH series could join the ranks, but it's unlikely that it would be able to stand toe to toe with the aforementioned shows in popularity.

D

Deleted member 246005

I'd probably headhunt former writers from the Avatar franchise to do a KH series. The Avatar show has better written characters and worldbuilding. Which is my 2 biggest issues with this franchise.

Avatar Alum have gone on to work on Star Wars content such as Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance and Mandolorian. As well as Voltron Legendary Defenders and the Dragon Prince.

Whether they do a new story or adapt the Dark Seeker stuff, KH would benefit from their experience.

palizinhas

Awards
I still say just make King Mickey the main character. A prequel with him when he was younger or something, when he was first learning to use the Keyblade.

Mickey is a recognizable enough symbol that people would tune in for him even without knowing All the Lore, a prequel with him as an apprentice allows us to explore some extra new lore without it getting to Dark Seeker Saga confusing, there has never been an ongoing full length Mickey show that isn't for preschoolers so there's a lot of freedom of storylines and characterization especially when you add in the KH lore to it, you could even market it with the Fantasia outfit.

If they wanted this show to sell while keeping it in line with the main storyline, they need to lean into Disney. Mickey is the easiest way to accomplish that without sacrificing what KH is.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
LOL.

I wonder if they will hire Utada to do a brand new theme song for the TV show? I'm willing to take whatever new music, especially if it's the boss Utada.
I’d be sold if they were able to make new theme songs for arcs based on the side games. I could CoM & Days sharing a theme, while BbS and DDD could get separate ones. Coded would be a mini arc set after 2 but before it’s post-credit scene, so it would likely use Sanctuary in my eyes

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Monsters at Work comes to mind, but I'm not sure how big of a hit that was. And on the Star Wars side, The Bad Batch and Visions are Disney+ originals and while Clone Wars season 7 is a continuation of a Cartoon Network series, it's easily the biggest animated hit they've had so far. Upcoming animated series for D+ consist of Baymax, Zootopia+, Moana: The Series, X-Men '97 and Spider-Man: Freshman Year (among others). So there is a possibility that a KH series could join the ranks, but it's unlikely that it would be able to stand toe to toe with the aforementioned shows in popularity.
I haven't heard much about Monsters at Work, but I guess it's because it's not targeted to my age range. But still, if it were making an impact with audiences, I'm sure I would have heard more of it or seen clips/GIFs from it. I've seen stuff from The Bad Batch and Visions.

I was talking more about original DISNEY animated properties. The MARVEL and STAR WARS stuff seem to be THE groundbreaking and award recognized content on DISNEY+. The last DISNEY products that really garnered critical acclaim, from what I can remember, are SOUL and LUCA. Those were films, so DISNEY TV shows aren't making as much of a splash as their MARVEL and STAR WARS content. I think the KH show is their chance to really do something different with their properties.
I still say just make King Mickey the main character. A prequel with him when he was younger or something, when he was first learning to use the Keyblade.

Mickey is a recognizable enough symbol that people would tune in for him even without knowing All the Lore, a prequel with him as an apprentice allows us to explore some extra new lore without it getting to Dark Seeker Saga confusing, there has never been an ongoing full length Mickey show that isn't for preschoolers so there's a lot of freedom of storylines and characterization especially when you add in the KH lore to it, you could even market it with the Fantasia outfit.

If they wanted this show to sell while keeping it in line with the main storyline, they need to lean into Disney. Mickey is the easiest way to accomplish that without sacrificing what KH is.
Isn't Mickey meant for the younger crowd? Like you said, most Mickey TV shows are aimed at young children. If a regular person comes onto DISNEY+ and sees the KH show headlined by Mickey, they may deem it a show for kids and move on.

I personally wouldn't mind the show being a follow up to KH3 with Mickey, Donald and Goofy going to the DISNEY worlds in KH3. They have all the assets done (if they're using the Unreal Engine) and it was set up in KH3 as well. You have 7 episodes for the DISNEY worlds (Olympus, Toy Box, Corona, Arendelle, Monstropolis, The Caribbean and San Fransokyo) and then 3 episodes for the original worlds (Radiant Garden, Twilight Town and Keyblade Graveyard/Scala Ad Caelum) - for a total of 10 episodes.
I’d be sold if they were able to make new theme songs for arcs based on the side games. I could CoM & Days sharing a theme, while BbS and DDD could get separate ones. Coded would be a mini arc set after 2 but before it’s post-credit scene, so it would likely use Sanctuary in my eyes
If the TV show gave us new themes for those seasons, I'd be all for it. Even though I feel like Sanctuary is perfect for Days and Simple & Clean for CoM.

Ray of Hope mix is perfect for BbS honestly, but I will gladly take new themes (hopefully from Utada).

palizinhas

Awards
Isn't Mickey meant for the younger crowd? Like you said, most Mickey TV shows are aimed at young children. If a regular person comes onto DISNEY+ and sees the KH show headlined by Mickey, they may deem it a show for kids and move on.
I mean, sure, but if people of all ages can get into stuff like DuckTales I don't see why having a show about Mickey wouldn't be interesting, especially with it being established early on that it has a lot of lore since people are super into story heavy cartoons now. The main reason we don't have a full Mickey series is because Disney is scared of using Mickey in that kind of way, that has been the case forever. He is more of a symbol than a character by this point, so they don't take risks with him like they have with other Disney classic characters.

But King Mickey is a character Disney does have some level of trust on - DuckTales 2017 wasn't allowed to have Mickey in it at all, but KH3 briefly killed him, which even though didn't last is a pretty bold move to a character usually left to Disney Junior shows. He's distinct enough from regular Mickey that it isn't the same type of risk as making a Mickey show, but he's also obviously instantly recognizable.

D

Deleted member 246005

@Face My Fears
Kingdom hearts would be written off as a kids show anyway. You can't avoid that so you might as well lean into it.

@palizinhas
I'd suggest pairing Mickey up with another character. Riku works the easiest but pairing Leon with him would be interesting. They always felt like they had a history so leaning into that could be fun. It now becomes a buddy comedy where they learn and balance each other out. Plus Riku or Leon allows you to hook a teen audience. Especially the tumblr crowd. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Zackarix

Awards
I'd be thrilled if there was a new Utada theme, but deep down I know that it'll be Simple and Clean again. Maybe if we're lucky there will be a new remix.

D

Deleted member 246005

@Face My Fears
If you want an adult friendly spinoff, I'd suggest doing a Lea/Isa spinoff. They have to go search for Oswald the lucky Rabbit or whoever you can use.

You could pitch as a buddy comedy like Falcon and Winter Soldier. To me, they always felt like adult foils for Sora and Riku. So you could explore them trying to rebuild their friendship.

Instead of making Relena a time traveler, I'd just make her Lea and Isa's friend who they had a falling out with. Which I guess we could still do with Subject X but Relena would be an easier sell.

You could add Max Goof and friends as their support crew.

Plus they were apart of the Organization for 10+ years. That is fertile ground for storytelling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I mean, sure, but if people of all ages can get into stuff like DuckTales I don't see why having a show about Mickey wouldn't be interesting, especially with it being established early on that it has a lot of lore since people are super into story heavy cartoons now. The main reason we don't have a full Mickey series is because Disney is scared of using Mickey in that kind of way, that has been the case forever. He is more of a symbol than a character by this point, so they don't take risks with him like they have with other Disney classic characters.

But King Mickey is a character Disney does have some level of trust on - DuckTales 2017 wasn't allowed to have Mickey in it at all, but KH3 briefly killed him, which even though didn't last is a pretty bold move to a character usually left to Disney Junior shows. He's distinct enough from regular Mickey that it isn't the same type of risk as making a Mickey show, but he's also obviously instantly recognizable.
DuckTales 2017 had adults who were kids when the original came out watching it. It's kind of amazing to me the disconnect between DISNEY fans and KH fans. I know a lot of DISNEY fans that have no clue that KH even exists. My theory on that is perhaps back in KH's original day, gaming was way more of a niche, but now it's much more mainstream.

I suppose if they do it as "King Mickey" and not just regular Mickey, they may take more of a risk. But they were scared to use Mickey in KH1 (hence his appearance at the end, in shadow), and now look how far he's come in KH3. I suppose they could do a King Mickey show and tell his story across KH1-3. Although, starting a King Mickey TV show in the Realm of Darkness and having him encounter an Aqua suffering from depression may not be the most DISNEY+ show. I would watch though, it would really set the stage as to why Mickey is on this journey (and set up who Xehanort is).
@Face My Fears
If you want an adult friendly spinoff, I'd suggest doing a Lea/Isa spinoff. They have to go search for Oswald the lucky Rabbit or whoever you can use.

You could pitch as a buddy comedy like Falcon and Winter Soldier. To me, they always felt like adult foils for Sora and Riku. So you could explore them trying to rebuild their friendship.

Instead of making Relena a time traveler, I'd just make her Lea and Isa's friend who they had a falling out with. Which I guess we could still do with Subject X but Relena would be an easier sell.

You could add Max Goof and friends as their support crew.

Plus they were apart of the Organization for 10+ years. That is fertile ground for storytelling.
KH is for kids, yet doesn't stray from dark ideas. KH doesn't really lean into the kid thing, it sort of is just placed there due to the DISNEY aspect... which, in itself, has pretty dark stuff sometimes. KH3 probably featured the most "real deaths" in DISNEY worlds, we also got possession in two worlds.

I honestly don't know what I want for a KH show. Part of me wants a show that will be done really well and is accessible to non-fans, so that I can use that as a vehicle to introduce my friends to KH. Part of me wants a show that is catering to the hardcore fans. The only thing I know for sure is that I want more music from Utada for this show lol. DISNEY please pay Utada.

Seasaltrio

Awards
Does no one else kinda want a KHUX TV series!? I mean I have searched the internet far and wide, but I seem to be the only one to have thought about this. Or, possibly, this is huge, but bear with me. A full-on Disney movie with Pixar-grade animation and top notch voice acting about UX. I mean, seriously, think about it. Ithink the only obstacle in the way would be fitting in the protaganist. Plus, with a story involving Strelitzia's murder plus the mystery of solving it, not to mention the literal keyblade war. In fact, I think this could have an epic finale that would answer all Xehanort's questions about the war and how it ended. I know it will probably never happen, and it's pretty unrealistic, but I mean, it would kick up the popularity of the series significantly, since Disney does zero marketing for Kingdom Hearts, plus- Why Not!? And if they did go through with the plan and the series/movie was actually good, it woulld totally be my #1 favorite movie/series of all time.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Does no one else kinda want a KHUX TV series!? I mean I have searched the internet far and wide, but I seem to be the only one to have thought about this. Or, possibly, this is huge, but bear with me. A full-on Disney movie with Pixar-grade animation and top notch voice acting about UX. I mean, seriously, think about it. Ithink the only obstacle in the way would be fitting in the protaganist. Plus, with a story involving Strelitzia's murder plus the mystery of solving it, not to mention the literal keyblade war. In fact, I think this could have an epic finale that would answer all Xehanort's questions about the war and how it ended. I know it will probably never happen, and it's pretty unrealistic, but I mean, it would kick up the popularity of the series significantly, since Disney does zero marketing for Kingdom Hearts, plus- Why Not!? And if they did go through with the plan and the series/movie was actually good, it woulld totally be my #1 favorite movie/series of all time.
I'd want it but I also want a proper MMO of UX so I'm conflicted.

Also UX would require a lot of retooling to make it TV-ready. Part of me thinks it would be easier just to start from a fresh idea.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I'd want it but I also want a proper MMO of UX so I'm conflicted.

Also UX would require a lot of retooling to make it TV-ready. Part of me thinks it would be easier just to start from a fresh idea.
I suspect the inevitable KH MMO will be actually be a new Keyblade War in present time tbh.

Zackarix

Awards
I'd like to see a Keyblade War TV show, but KHUX is actually an obstacle to it. KHUX has already told a story that wasn't created for the format and it would take quite a bit of reworking to make it capable of supporting a show. I wouldn't mind it if that did somehow pull it off, but as Oracle Spockanort said it would probably be easier to start fresh.

One possibility for a Keyblade War series would be to set it during the first war. It would allow for a blank slate.

Back