• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Megavoltage

Awards
Maybe Sora could use Oathkeeper in the final episodes once Kairi gives him her luck charm. Oblivion as well at some point if Riku gives him the keychain like what was originally planned
If keychains are a thing in the retelling then these two absolutely need to be used and not just for Sora's sake but for the future blonde character. They're too iconic to be ignored, it's hard to imagine Sora and Roxas without them. Stuff like Diamond Dust would probably be skipped and that's fine. But Oathkeeper and Oblivion? Gotta have them!

I wonder if the silly keychains would be included. Imagine episodes where the characters are fighting for their lives and dealing with serious drama but they’re using keychains like Sweet Memory or Sweetstack.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
This is why I keep calling Demyx's original form "Emyd" and Luxord's original form "Durol". I'm hoping they go with those names after reading the forums. It failed for Arlene :'(

Like I said, no one actually responsible for making those decisions comes here. My comment was strictly referring to Yasue and members of the team he oversees at the Osaka office who are building the game and aren't involved or familiar with the writing.

Tbh even if they did, the general rule of thumb is to not let inmates run the asylum lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
An original retelling, a separate story focusing on Mickey, or an original story with original characters are the only options that make sense for reaching a broad audience.

If Sora has to ever be mentioned in the latter two options, do a recap at the beginning talking about a great Keyblade hero who save the world many times with the power of his friends but make him all shadowed like how Mickey was in KH1 xD

Wouldn't they have to pay Kurt Zisa a fee to be used in a blockbuster, hit TV show on Disney+ in perpetuity for his name/likeness?

No, because the contest he won probably had in the contract that he would be signing away use of his name for KH. The reward was it being in KH1.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Like I said, no one actually responsible for making those decisions comes here. My comment was strictly referring to Yasue and members of the team he oversees at the Osaka office who are building the game and aren't involved or familiar with the writing.

Tbh even if they did, the general rule of thumb is to not let inmates run the asylum lol

I've made a huge mess. My original post was a bad joke about not giving them any bad ideas. Even if that idea was what OP didn't want to see.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
An original retelling, a separate story focusing on Mickey, or an original story with original characters are the only options that make sense for reaching a broad audience.

If Sora has to ever be mentioned in the latter two options, do a recap at the beginning talking about a great Keyblade hero who save the world many times with the power of his friends but make him all shadowed like how Mickey was in KH1 xD

No, because the contest he won probably had in the contract that he would be signing away use of his name for KH. The reward was it being in KH1.
Yes, the contract was probably for KH1 only. Which is probably why we never see Kurt Zisa used anywhere or referenced anywhere except in KH1. I imagine it's like Deep Jungle, where they can only use his name/likeness/design in KH1 and nowhere else.

Megavoltage

Awards
Wouldn't they have to pay Kurt Zisa a fee to be used in a blockbuster, hit TV show on Disney+ in perpetuity for his name/likeness? I doubt Disney will do that. I can see Phantom being woven into the storyline of NeverLand, since the world is short. It can appear at the clock tower after Peter Pan and Wendy leave, as a token of Riku's darkness or something.
I was thinking about this stuff. I personally would love it if all super bosses were included but for the sake of simplicity the unimportant encounters would probably be excluded. Phantom can easily be skipped. One of Xion’s monster forms was seemingly based on Kurt Zisa, I think that makes the Zisa encounter somewhat important to the lore but it could probably be skipped without issue. Sephiroth’s KH1 appearance was already retconned even if that makes One-Winged Angel being in Chain of Memories awkward but whatever. Assuming Sephiroth shows up at all they’ll probably save him for the KH2 season. Ice Titan shows up in Recoded which means Jiminy Cricket wrote about him thus making the Gold Match canon in KH1...not that every detail of game canon really matters, the retelling will do its own thing, but the show might want to include Ice Titan because of this. But then we have something that cannot be skipped. The Unknown encounter.

Xemnas tasting Sora’s memories is a small but very important chapter of KH1 and a retelling of this fight has many interesting possibilities. Maybe they’ll reveal more information to the audience compared to what players got in Final Mix. Bigger hints or full reveals about Xemnas, Nobodies, replica program, Org 13, etc. The writers might not want to be coy with this sort of stuff in the retelling, they’ll need to hook watchers for the upcoming seasons based on CoM, Days, and KH2. Sora himself probably wouldn’t learn about this stuff but a show has ways of revealing information without the main character actually knowing, like a scene of Xemnas having a conversation with Xigbar just before he leaves to troll Sora in Hollow Bastion.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I was thinking about this stuff. I personally would love it if all super bosses were included but for the sake of simplicity the unimportant encounters would probably be excluded. Phantom can easily be skipped. One of Xion’s monster forms was seemingly based on Kurt Zisa, I think that makes the Zisa encounter somewhat important to the lore but it could probably be skipped without issue. Sephiroth’s KH1 appearance was already retconned even if that makes One-Winged Angel being in Chain of Memories awkward but whatever. Assuming Sephiroth shows up at all they’ll probably save him for the KH2 season. Ice Titan shows up in Recoded which means Jiminy Cricket wrote about him thus making the Gold Match canon in KH1...not that every detail of game canon really matters, the retelling will do its own thing, but the show might want to include Ice Titan because of this. But then we have something that cannot be skipped. The Unknown encounter.

Xemnas tasting Sora’s memories is a small but very important chapter of KH1 and a retelling of this fight has many interesting possibilities. Maybe they’ll reveal more information to the audience compared to what players got in Final Mix. Bigger hints or full reveals about Xemnas, Nobodies, replica program, Org 13, etc. The writers might not want to be coy with this sort of stuff in the retelling, they’ll need to hook watchers for the upcoming seasons based on CoM, Days, and KH2. Sora himself probably wouldn’t learn about this stuff but a show has ways of revealing information without the main character actually knowing, like a scene of Xemnas having a conversation with Xigbar just before he leaves to troll Sora in Hollow Bastion.

Reading all this actually gets me excited for a retelling of Kingsom Hearts written by an actual, bona fide, competent screenwriter and with the hindsight of these two decades behind them.

I've changed my mind. Bring on the re-telling of KH1.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
As long as they don't push the idea of a love triangle between Sora and Riku for Kairi like KH1 vaguely tried to imply on the surface level, then I'm all for a KH1 retelling.

Unless the love triangle is Sora having to chose between Riku and Kairi.

Edit: to avoid any doubt I don't actually want any love triangles in Kingdom Hearts.

Unless it's Chip, Jiminy Cricket and Yensid. Then I'm down.

Last edited:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Yes, the contract was probably for KH1 only. Which is probably why we never see Kurt Zisa used anywhere or referenced anywhere except in KH1. I imagine it's like Deep Jungle, where they can only use his name/likeness/design in KH1 and nowhere else.
I think the only thing they used from Kurt is his name, so I doubt the likeness/design would be an issue and if it is well there's always Savage Vanguard that could take his place.

If they are going to go for a retelling I hope they do go for a streamlining and maybe smooth over the bumps that the series' recons have formed. Also I'd like it if they could include little aspects of the other retellings we've gotten, both the Manga and Novels have some good ideas that could help flesh out the story for a TV series. Such as Sora finding Kairi when she washed ashore. Actually they should just completely replace Game Kairi with Manga Kairi.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
My biggest fear of a Xehanort Saga retelling is that it would start the same, but have some kind of divergence at some point, making it into a parallel reality that would eventually clash with the games and make some kind of multiverse mess. Because that definitely feels like something Square Enix would do, considering FFVIIR.

Considering the fact that both Marvel and DC are going into multiverse territory with their feature films, multiverse shenanigans isn't going to be a foreign concept to audiences anymore.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
So how many episodes do you guys think would be enough to adapt the first game? I'm thinking 20-25 would be good for a first season
Unless each episode is an hour long, or the pacing is near perfection, I honestly don’t see 25 episodes working for adapting KH1. I could see it working for games like Chain of Memories and 358/2, but not KH1. Last thing I'd want is for them to pull a Persona 5 or Ace Attorney and have it’s anime rush through the plot of the game(or in Ace Attorney’s case, two games in its first season). Personally I'd hope for it to be at least 45-51 episodes(or at least 2 25-episode seasons), just to have some breathing room. But I guess it also depends on how they adapt each world, like how in the novel Destiny Islands' events before the storm take place in the same day.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

Even if Xion's form was based on Kurt Zisa, that wouldn't need a signed form from Kurt to allow since it's not actually his heartless or directly identified by his name.

Ice Titan was confirmed to have been fought in KH1, but I think it was a fake or clone or something. The real one was fought in KH3.
I think the only thing they used from Kurt is his name, so I doubt the likeness/design would be an issue and if it is well there's always Savage Vanguard that could take his place.

If they are going to go for a retelling I hope they do go for a streamlining and maybe smooth over the bumps that the series' recons have formed. Also I'd like it if they could include little aspects of the other retellings we've gotten, both the Manga and Novels have some good ideas that could help flesh out the story for a TV series. Such as Sora finding Kairi when she washed ashore. Actually they should just completely replace Game Kairi with Manga Kairi.
I thought the contest was a design contest? I thought he submitted the best design and won? If not, then they can just rename the heartless or never give it a name on screen.

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
I would love for Sora to use the keychain from the world at the start, then switch when he goes into another world. That way the keyblade matches the location. They can even say that the keyblade does that to conceal its true form or something. I always wished we got the world's keychain at the start of the world. It always bugged me going into Halloween Town with the Atlantica keyblade - just seemed so off.

you too?

that would be an interesting idea to use.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Unless each episode is an hour long, or the pacing is near perfection, I honestly don’t see 25 episodes working for adapting KH1. I could see it working for games like Chain of Memories and 358/2, but not KH1. Last thing I'd want is for them to pull a Persona 5 or Ace Attorney and have it’s anime rush through the plot of the game(or in Ace Attorney’s case, two games in its first season). Personally I'd hope for it to be at least 45-51 episodes(or at least 2 25-episode seasons), just to have some breathing room. But I guess it also depends on how they adapt each world, like how in the novel Destiny Islands' events before the storm take place in the same day.
As Chaser pointed out two episodes per Disney world should be enough to tell the complete story. KH1 has nine of them(they can use something else to replace Deep Jungle)so that's already eighteen episodes with seven to eight left for the original worlds

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Even if Xion's form was based on Kurt Zisa, that wouldn't need a signed form from Kurt to allow since it's not actually his heartless or directly identified by his name.

Ice Titan was confirmed to have been fought in KH1, but I think it was a fake or clone or something. The real one was fought in KH3.

I thought the contest was a design contest? I thought he submitted the best design and won? If not, then they can just rename the heartless or never give it a name on screen.
As it's been pointed out before, no he didn't design anything. The Name-in-Game Sweepstakes was open to all in April of 2002 and the finalist, Kurt, was announced in June of 2002.

The sweepstakes meant the finalist got his name assigned to the heartless but releases him of any rights of that name in association with Kingdom Hearts. Unless he got a lawyer better than Disney's, his name in regards to this character are severed from his rights most likely as of 1.5. And even if they didn't want to use that name or can't, it's not like anyone uses this heartless's name in the series.

It's not really an issue

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Is it crazy how this is getting so much discussion yet we still don't know if it actually exists?

In a way, yes, but also not really. It’s something completely different from what we’ve expected to happen and it’s sort of nice having something to discuss that could potentially hit a service as massive as D+.

They would have to put their best foot forward because this could really put KH out there unlike ever before.

It’s fun to speculate knowing all of this

Back