• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► A Journey to the Dark, my first KH story!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

EverlastingLight

A/N: Alright, as I've already stated, this is my first KH fanfic, so go easy please. And, it's written as if KH2 doesn't happen, but follows right after CoM. Follow? Good. Here's the Summary:
Riku gets a surprising letter from his father whom he never met. So, he joins forces with old friends and new to find this man. Will he succeed? Or will he and his friends hearts fall to the darkness?

If you'd like to view it on ff.net, it's there also, my name is EverlastingDarkness (go figure), and the second chapter is up there already!

A Journey to the Dark

Chapter One: Incredible Meeting

Riku and King Mickey approached a small town at the edge of the road. The town was was bustling with excitement, not a Heartless in sight. A clock tower stood at the center of the town, with a train station leading from it. An ocean glistened at the edge of town, its waves crashing lightly onto the shore. For as far as the eyes could see, this place was nothing but goodness. Except to the far right, where a glimmer of darkness stood. But, paying no attention to that side, Riku and Mickey walked through the front gates.

“I am so glad to be out of that castle.” Riku sighed. “I wonder where we are.”

“Well, let’s ask somebody! Excuse me!” Mickey called to an old man in a wizard outfit. “Oh, hello Merlin!”

“If it isn’t King Mickey! How have you been?” Merlin greeted cheerfully.

“Just fine. Say, you wouldn’t happen to know where we are, would you?”

“Why, we’re in Twilight Town, a place only existing in the twilight. Though, anyone can reach it. People of the light, like you and me, live on the north side of town, which is where we are now. People of the dark live on the southeastern side of town. We usually don’t have many existing in the twilight, but when we do, they live where ever else. But they never stay for long.”

“Do you have any idea why?” Riku asked.

“Not at all. We only have one family who’s lived here for a while now. Who knows how much longer they’ll stay. Oh, what is your name?” Merlin asked Riku, who was looking around and not paying attention.

“Oh! I’m Riku.”

“Riku? Why, I believe there’s some one here looking for you. A young man just about your age. You can find him near the train station. He has some sort of letter for you.”

“Oh, um... thank you.” Riku ran off toward the clock tower. I wonder if it’s Sora! But, why would he have a note for me? Maybe it’s some one else. He began to wandered around the train station a bit.

“Excuse me. Are you Riku?” A voice asked from behind him. He turned to see a young blonde teenager approaching him. Riku nodded unsurely. “I was asked to bring you a letter from your father. Um... I don’t have it right now, but I can go home and retrieve it! I’ll be right back.”

“Wait. Who are you? You look so much like my old friend, Sora.”

“Well, that’s partly because I’m Sora’s other half. You can call me... uh... the BHK!”

“The BHK? What’s that stand for? Do you not have a real name?”

“The BHK stands for blonde haired kid, and yes I do have real name. I’m just not ready to release it at this time.” He said a little unsurely and smiled. “Heh. Anyway, I’m going to go get that letter! I’ll be right back.”

My father? How does he know my father? Has he found a way to Destiny Islands! Maybe he can take me to Kairi! I wonder how she’s doing... Riku thought to himself as he sat on a nearby railing that blocked the railroad track.

“I’m back!” Came the ecstatic voice of the BHK. “Here you go!” He handed Riku a folded up piece of paper, with a gold emblem in the shape of a wing on the front. “Well, don’t just stare at it! Open it up!”

To my dearest Riku,

I’m not to good with introductions, so I’ll just jump right into it. Your parents on Destiny Islands are not your real birth parents. When you were born, our world was in darkness. Your mother and I didn’t want you growing up in that mess. So, we contacted our friends living on the islands to see if they could take care of you for the time being. They said they’d be glad to take you in, so we sent you off.

Over the years, they wrote many letters to us, your mother and I, just so we could keep up with how you were doing. But, just about three months ago, I got a letter from them stating that you disappeared when their world was taken to the dark, about a year to two years ago. This was devastating news for me. I had to take measures.

I sought out a man by the name of Diz. He told me everything. He mentioned a man named Ansem, and that this man had possessed you, taken over your body. He said you used the power of darkness to your advantage. Then you became afraid of it, fought it, tried to escape it. But, you couldn’t. You had to find your light within, and use the darkness, that both would make you stronger.

He also told me to seek out the one called the BHK. It seems that you two are of the same kind, existing in the twilight. I said to myself:‘My son? Existing in the twilight?’

So, I wrote this note for you, and gave it to him. I would like to see you sometime, my son. Ask the BHK. He knows the way.

Sincerely,

Your father

Riku sat down in a daze. This was so much information for him, he couldn’t take it all. “Who... wrote this?” He asked. “And, why couldn’t he give this to me himself?”

“I’m not supposed to tell you. He told me not to.” Said the BHK, sitting next to Riku. “I couldn’t even see his face, so I can’t tell you what he looks like.”

“And, how do you know the way? Why can’t I find it myself.”

“Because it’s extremely hidden in the midst of darkness. I’ve been there before. For some reason, the world hasn’t totally disintegrated. There’s some light keeping it alive. I’ve been there before.” The BHK and Riku stood up. “Come on! Let’s go to the Gummi Ship port! I want to show you my totally awesome ship! Then, we can take off to find your dad!”

Well, this guy seems nice enough. I guess I can trust him. Plus, I need him to find my father, whoever that is. Why does he want to meet me now? I’ve got my own problems to worry about. Riku thought as he followed the BHK rather slowly. I wonder why now, all of sudden, he wants to meet me. Couldn’t he meet me sooner? What’s the deal with this guy?

Before Riku knew it, they had arrived at the port and was at the BHK’s ship. It was absolutely amazing. There were many guns and lasers, and awesome shields for protection. And the design was astounding. “Wow.” Riku breathed, running a hand along the side of it, admiring the paint job. “The outside is sweet!”

“Oh, you like the outside? Well, wait till you see the inside!” He pressed a certain button on his keys allowing the side door to open. Riku stared in awe.

“Man... now this is amazing!” The cockpit was made for up to four people, with each chair given the ability to spin so you could talk to people behind you. In the back was a small bathroom, that way it would be easier to travel long distances without stopping for a break. Also near the back was a little mini refrigerator and stove for easy cooking on the go. And during flights, there were couches on either side, with a few bean bag chairs surrounding them. And, for even more comfort, the floor was carpeted. “Whoa... a TV? With gaming systems and everything!”

“Yeah. My friends and I travel everywhere. We compiled all our savings to get this ship, and to fix it up as well. It took three or four years to get this much.” The BHK flopped down in the driver’s seat. “Oh, and by the way, we’re also going to look for Sora. If we don’t find him before we find your dad, I would like you to stay with me until you do. Is that alright?”

“Yeah, that’s fine. I’d like to see him anyway.” Riku sat down in the front passenger seat.

“Then, it’s a deal!” They shook hands. “Alrighty! Buckle up and get ready for take off! Oh yeah!” The BHK was about ready to turn on the ignition when he heard some one yell at him. “Ugh... what is it now?”

“Don’t you go taking off just yet.” It appeared to be a woman, obviously related to the BHK.

“Aunt Rinoa... what do you want now?”

“I will not have you running off on another adventure.” Rinoa scolded. “Don’t you remember the last time?” The BHK glanced towards the ground and nodded. “And what exactly happened, hmm?”

“I dropped Yuffie in hyperspace.”

“Exactly! Now, I don’t want the same thing to happen to this young man. What is your name?”

“Riku.”

“Alright, Riku. You,” she pointed towards the BHK, “come home, now. Your friend may stay for dinner. If that’s alright with you Riku.”

“Thanks, uh, Rinoa.”

“Say, Aunt Rinoa...” The BHK began. “Riku is new to this town, and doesn’t have anywhere to stay. Can he stay in the guest bedroom?”

“Oh, you poor thing. Did the Heartless get your home?”

“Uh... yeah... er, something like that.” Riku said nervously, stepping out of the Gummi Ship with the BHK.

“Well, you’re welcome to stay with us for a while. You seem like a nice guy. Oh, you’re probably starved. Come one now, make haste you two. Supper’s in the oven right now.”

A/N: Alright, I know you probably recognize some names, am I right? I’m using the character Rinoa, but she’s probably different in here than she is in the game (never played FF8, just heard of it). Just imagine her as a normal, typical aunt. And, if you already think you know Riku’s father, please don’t spoil it for everyone by saying “Riku’s father is !” when you reply. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

EverlastingLight

Well, I figured I released the BHK being part of Sora too soon also. This chapter was written when I was still thinking of the story line. I just kept it.

And, if you want to guess, fine by me. Just don't expect me to answer!

Thanks Winged Mirage!

EverlastingLight

Journey to the Dark

Chapter Two: A Dream of You in a World Without You
Riku put the last dish in the drainer and pulled the plug out of the sink. "Thank you for washing the dishes." Said Rinoa cheerfully. "You didn’t have to do that."

"Oh, I know. I just wanted to help out to show my gratitude. I’m glad you’re letting me stay here. Thank you." Riku leaned against the counter. "I hope I’m not being a bother."

"Hah, a bother? Son, you just watched all the dishes. You’re no bother at all." She laughed. "Here, I brought you some old clothes. I don’t want you to have to sleep in that cloak all night."

"Wow. Thank you."

"You’re such a polite young man. Sometimes I wish my nephew was this polite. He can be ruder than you’d imagine. Why don’t you head up to the guest room? There’s a bathroom in there if you want to take a shower."

"I might just do that. Thanks again!" Riku jogged up the stairs with the clothes hung loosely in his left hand. A paper slid out from his pocket and landed on the floor of the kitchen. Without noticing, he turned the corner of the upstairs.

"Such a nice young man. My nephew could use a good influence." Rinoa glanced to the floor and saw hte piece of paper and picked it up."Riku, you forgot... Oh, I’ll just take it..." She stopped mid sentence when she flipped the paper over and saw the wing emblem. "Oh my." She breathed. "Could he be the son of... Him?"

She rushed to the phone and quickly dialed a number. "Aerith? It’s Rinoa. I think we’ve found him."

XXXXXXXXXXX

The BHK closed the tightly filled suitcase and sat down on the bed next to Riku. "So, are you ready? For tomorrow?" Riku only nodded. "You don’t seem ready. What’s up?"

"Oh, it’s nothing. I’m just really nervous is all." Riku stood up and headed to the door. "I’ll see you in the morning." As he was about to walk out the door, he stopped. "Can I ask you one question though?"

"What?"

"Well, is my father nice?" The BHK nodded. "Good. Goodnight."

"I can’t believe it."

"No, please!"

"My heart, it’s gone."

"I can’t go on..."

"STOP!"
"Where have you been?"

"Wait!"

"You can’t do this!"
"You’re as good as heartless fodder."

"It’s them!"

A graveyard in the center of the forest. Fog covers it, causing you to have trouble seeing. Riku sits among the tombstones, covering his ears. The voices grow louder and louder as tears stream down his face.

"Look at what you’ve become!"

"You are non-existent."
"Can’t you do anything right?!"

"Why?"

"I’m fading...consumed by the light."

"A pawn. Of darkness."

"You’re just a worthless toy!"

"It comes!"

"Your Majesty!"

"Why must you do these things?!"

"Darkness will conquer."

"You’ll do fine."

"It’s... too... powerful..."

"Every soul will perish!"
"Trust me."
Louder and louder the voices came. Riku continues to sob, sitting on his hands and knees, Suddenly, he lets out an ear shattering scream.

The voices stop.

Heartless begin to surround Riku, more and more coming every second. He gets up to fight, but he can’t even stand. There’s a flash of light, all of a sudden, and the Heartless are gone. Riku turns to see a young boy walking off into the distance.

Riku awakes to the sound of somebody banging at the guest room door. "Riku, open up!" A voice calls. Slowly, Riku gets up and cracks the door open. The BHK, suitcase in hand, is standing with ear to the door. He crashes to the floor. "Do you have ANY idea WHAT time it is?!" Riku shook his head, helping the BHK back up on his feet. "Well, it’s approximately 10:38 and counting!"

"What?!"

"Get dressed!... wait a second, never mind. Did you sleep in that?"

"Hmm? Oh, guess I did." Riku stated, glancing down at his cloak. He reached his hand into his pocket. "Oh no! The note!"

"Don’t worry about that now! We have to go before Aunt Rinoa wakes up, or we’re in trouble!"

"We’re gonna be in trouble anyway, whether she finds out or not!" Riku follows the BHK down the stairs. Just as they were about to walk out the door, Rinoa stops them. "Uh oh..." He looks around and sees her aunt sitting with two other people, one male, one female. "Aunt Rinoa... what’s going on?"

"Well, uh..." Rinoa stuttered.

The other woman stood up and sidled over to Riku. "Good morning. You must be Riku. It’s so nice to meet you. My name is Aerith."

"It’s nice to meet you too." He shook Aerith’s hand.

"Oh my... You look so much like him. I mean, your father. I was still young when I met him, but he had payed a visit to Hollow Bastion once, a long time ago. I haven’t seen him since. But I’ll never forget his face. You have his eyes. Oh, it feels like ages ago. I wonder if Yuffie remembers. He had brought us both presents..."

"Enough flashbacks." The man commanded, standing up.

"Oh, this is Squall." Aerith introduced, motioning towards him.

"That’s Leon. Nice to meet you kid."

"Not to be rude, but why are you guys here?" Riku asked, leaning against the counter.

"Well..." Aerith began, "we’ve been looking for His son for quite some time now. It was a request from Him. We don’t know much, other than that he wants to see you. We believe there might be other plans."

"Well, who is He? What’s his name?"

"We can’t release that info. He told us not to."

"Damn it!"

"Riku!" The BHK stuttered.

"Excuse my French. But this is making me mad. I want ti know the name of this man you all claim is my father!"

"You’ll find out soon enough." Rinoa sighed. She glanced at th bags in the BHK’s hand. "Where are you two headed?"

"Oh, um... to... uh..." The BHK said, trying to think of a good excuse, and fast.

"We were on our way to the Gummi Ship."

"Riku!"

"What? You were going to lie to your aunt? Shame on you."

"And why were you going to do that when you know specifically why I told you NOT to?"

"We were on our way to find my father." Riku sighed and sat down. "The note I got from him told me to find him and bring along the BHK to help."

"Yes, that’s right." Aerith stated, pulling the note out of a near by drawer. "But you two can’t go alone. You are too young."

"So I will be joining you." Leon said, folding his arms smugly across his chest. "If that’s alright with you."

"Oh, that’s quite alright. The boys need some one older to keep everything in order. Especially my nephew here. He can get into a lot of trouble if not watched carefully. Once, he dropped Yuffie in... anyway, did you ever find the girl?"

"No. But, Yuffie’s a big girl. I’m sure she can take care of herself." Leon said, walking to the door. "Well, shall we?"

"OK! Bye Aunt Rinoa, Aerith!" The BHK said excitedly and hopped out the door. Riku just waved and followed behind. Aerith and Rinoa just waved and watched them turn the corner.

"Free at last!" Aerith shouted cheerfully once the three were out of sight.

"I don’t know about this whole thing Aerith. Something could happen to them. You see, he’s my only nephew. I can’t lose him. I mean, aren’t you the least bit worried?"

"Oh, I’m worried alright. But, I’m sure they can handle it just fine. Riku is the master of both light and dark, or twilight. Your nephew is the Dual Master. And Leon wields the Gunblade."

"But, still. You’ve seen the place. It’s crawling with Heartless."

"Rinoa, girl, you worry an awful lot."

"Maybe. I’m just glad we decided to let Leon go with them instead of one of us. I’m not into all the fighting mumbo jumbo."

"Yeah, and I’m just starting to learn black magic. The only use I’d be to them is to heal them in battle. My white magic may be strong, but it’s not like it’d be of much use in fighting."

"So, would you like to stay for lunch, and then maybe we can go to the salon or something." Rinoa asked. Aerith nodded and the two women headed back inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back