• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► A Fragmented Tale (Rebirth)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Essence of Elegy

How long shall you delve into time?
Awards
That's right. SD's gone back to writing. My other thread died, so I'm reposting the story. I'm a few chaps ahead so that means I have more time to write chaps (no more month long updates) and I get new readers.
Enjoy for those of you who don't know the story yet. Those of you who have been following it, sorry, but you're gonna have to wait a bit before you can see the next chap. It won't be too long, maybe a few days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue: Acquaintance with Power

All it needed was the thought…

There was no need for fancy gestures or ridiculous incantations. The chaos…all it needed was the thought. And why not? For such destruction is always hungry, constantly looking for new things to feed upon. And if it took such a quick method to unleash it, then it made the destruction even more voracious.
And Xeron relished it.

He walked calmly through the village, his black cape billowing in the breeze behind him. Black was such a favorable color to those of the dark realm, as Xeron’s appearance suggested. Then again, black wasn’t considered a color, more like an enigma. And he wanted to be an enigma. He wanted strike fear and hopelessness into the hearts of all; he wanted to make birds stop singing and the wind fall silent. He wanted…power.

The only thing that wasn’t black, besides his fair complexion, was his pair of gleaming yellow eyes. The fearsome eyes of the dark realm; the eyes that were like columns of fire that could burn right through you; the eyes that brought despair within its malevolent gaze. And they were his.

As he passed by the small, wooden hovels, they each suddenly burst into black flames. Ah, fire. He loved to observe its hungry tongue lick at those of innocence and watch its fiery form slowly engulf it and grow in power. This particular black flame was one that could not be extinguished.

He kept walking, his malicious gaze still concentrated on ahead. More houses were eaten by the hungry blaze. People suddenly fell down and died and their livestock turned into large, indescribable fiends. When Xeron reached the other side of the village, he still walked on, not caring to look back at his handiwork. The houses were nothing but charred remains and the monsters that were once peaceful animals began to feed on their masters’ pale bodies.

A few yards from where Xeron was, a dark figure stood. He appeared to be thin, but his upper body was concealed in a cloud of inky black darkness that swirled constantly. What could be seen of his body was black, except for his skin, which was a dark blue hue.

When Xeron approached, a voice emanated from the cloud, a voice that was gilded with power. “I have removed the seal on the Arcane’s power. Are you satisfied?”

Xeron glanced behind him at the village for the first time. “Very much, indeed.”

“Then give them to me, now!”

Xeron examined his gauntlets. “I think not, Arek.”

Before Arek could become enraged, an orb appeared in Xeron’s palm, which pressed into Arek’s hidden face. Arek screamed; it was an unearthly screech. Chains appeared on his legs and arms, although they were invisible.

“A Binding? From whence did you learn such a spell?”

Xeron grinned. “Wouldn’t you like to know?” And suddenly, they both disappeared, dissolving into blends of shadows and blue flame.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This tale is based on an RP I made a while ago. I would like to thank Jet, Sora the warrior, and TWDIS for contributing to the plot, although I’ve tweaked the storyline.

Note that this is not a collaboration.

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Not bad there. I've already read this in your other thread, but still very good, lol. Your descriptiveness is what impressed me the most. Keep up the good work.

Essence of Elegy

Awards
Not bad there. I've already read this in your other thread, but still very good, lol. Your descriptiveness is what impressed me the most. Keep up the good work.

Yeah thanks.

Chapter 1: Desires

Elvn awakened from his slumber with a long yawn before completely opening his eyes. He looked around his mediocre room and then leaped off his bed to throw open the window. Shafts of warm sunlight entered his room, greeting him with their gentle touch. It was a typical Serenity Town morning.

Elvn hastily got dressed. After doing so, he glanced at himself in the mirror. Wearing his signature silver attire and black boots, he was satisfied with his look. He sighed and ran a hand through his dark brown hair before hurrying through the door and down the stairs. Without bothering for breakfast, he exited the house, where his best friend Ren was waiting.

Having been friends since the farthest reaches of their memory, Elvn and Ren were practically inseparable.
They looked out for each other and rarely had arguments. Recently though, Elvn found Ren to be a bit more solemn and Ren tried his best to hide his thoughts.

“Race you to the square!” exclaimed Ren, who already had a head start. Elvn grinned and ran off after him. Neither of them noticed the distant thunderheads.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Around the same time, if you could assume time was related between worlds, another young man had just gotten up from his nightly rest. Unlike Elvn, however, Voran was eager to get back to sleep.

Also unlike Elvn, Voran had no last name. This thought probed its way through his mind like a stubborn worm as Voran turned to face the wall. Ever since he’d arrived at Hollow Bastion—or Radiant Garden as it had recently been renamed—he had the desire to know of his origin. Voran had no memory of it whatsoever.

Things had become even more puzzling when something called a Keyblade appeared in a column of light within his hands before the invasion of hundreds of strange monsters. And since then he had fought against them along with the other defenders of Radiant Garden.

But what intrigued him the most were his abilities. The power that was called the Inferno. The word “Inferno” had sprang into Voran’s mind as soon as he had arrived at Radiant Garden. He often liked to think of himself as the son of some great hero. He didn’t know it at the time, but years later he would call this ironic.

But no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t believe it himself.

Mike—or Mikey, as he preferred—examined the world he was floating above in his Gummi ship. After making the necessary measurements, he pressed a key on the computer, removing the world’s name from the lengthy list.

“Atlantica’s intact. Very good.” After the last fiasco at Olympus, he was making sure that the worlds weren’t plagued by excess amounts of darkness. Where all of it was coming from was a mystery.

Mikey was a proud defender of Disney Castle and a direct servant of King Mickey. Being a quick learner and a talented warrior, he was one of the most potent, partly because of his ability to wield Fenrir, his Keyblade. But most of his success was due to the mysterious power that was called the Inferno.

Like so many heroes of legends told, Mikey had the urge to know. He wanted to know everything about his past and the meaning of his existence. He had never felt sympathy toward family tragedies because he had no loved ones. No Keyblade could wipe away the longing that plagued his bitter heart.

The King supposedly knew nothing of Mikey’s history. Everytime Mikey mentioned it, the King would either look away or change the subject. When this happened, Mikey did not press on any further. It was uncalled for to upset a king.

So throughout his life, he was naught but a mystery, a being that even fate itself was uncertain of.

What was it about towering heights that made men feel so superior? Was it the prospect of seeing all and thus knowing all? Such is the belief and desire of a tyrant.

Only fools seek power without knowledge.

So thought Xeron as he stood atop the Clocktower of Twilight Town, surveying the surrounding area. It was a habit of his to observe a world before it was to be engulfed by his shadowy grasp. It made him chuckle to think of the inhabitants having to so abruptly yield to the darkness as it slowly seeped into their impotent hearts.

He could already taste it coming. The disorder…

Indeed, the birds had stopped their chorus and the wind had lost the will to live. There had been no flaws in his plans until recently, when he had discovered the existence of new Keyblade wielders. It would be a tiring hindrance.

Nonetheless, he would conquer the light and steal what was called the power of the Inferno.

People looked up at fright at Xeron. Paralysis gripped their limbs as they witnessed the coming of inky black clouds behind Xeron and the Clocktower. Rain splattered upon their terrified faces. The puddles turned dark and turned into the creatures known as Heartless, whose eyes were yellow and malevolent as their master.

Xeron eyes gleamed, their yellow hue mixed with a glowing red as they watched the ascension of countless hearts into the vast void beyond the storm and all the chaos.

------------------------

Just a bit of characterization. I had to get that out of the way. IMO, the last part came out nicely, so you might’ve enjoyed it.

Another cliffhanger coming up at the end lol.

Mike

iROFL
Awards
Name's Jet now, not mike2014, just lettin' ya know. ;3
Its great that this will be back up, though.

Twilight_Path

Not bad, Shadow Denizen... I like!
I am going to have a bit of a problem with Mikey and Mickey, though. XD
I'll get over myself... eh heh :D

Essence of Elegy

Awards
Name's Jet now, not mike2014, just lettin' ya know. ;3
Its great that this will be back up, though.

Yeah. Forgot.

Not bad, Shadow Denizen... I like!
I am going to have a bit of a problem with Mikey and Mickey, though. XD
I'll get over myself... eh heh :D

Me too.

Well here's the update.

Chapter 2: Betrayal and Sorrow

Elvn never managed to beat Ren to the square. He was a swift runner and maintained a clean ten-foot lead. They stopped at the square with their hands on their knees and trying to catch their breath.

“Looks like you win,” Elvn remarked through gasps of air.

A cold wind passed through the square. Elvn and Ren were the only two present. A shadow loomed over the area, chasing away the sunlight. Elvn turned to see black clouds ominously moving towards them.

“Rentus, what is that?”

“Looks like rain.”

“But it almost never rains here!”

Suddenly, there was a cold chuckle. It echoed throughout the terrace and then disappeared in the wind. Elvn and Ren turned every which way, looking for its source, but the square was as empty as ever.
And Master Xeron said they’d be trouble. He obviously has never seen them…

Elvn turned to look behind him for the origin of the powerful voice. A fully armored soldier stood there upright. Its entire body was covered in grey metal that looked old, but sturdy. Its winged helmet concealed its face, but Elvn imagined it was smirking. The soldier held a strange weapon.

“Who the hell are you?” shouted Elvn.

They’re rude, too. How ignorant of them.

“What do you want?” Ren brandished a pole, which he had found lying on the paved ground.

Oh, nothing. I’m just helping the inevitable come to pass. Best part is, I don’t have to do the dirty work. The armored soldier raised its hand, and black creatures spawned on the ground in front of him. Their yellow eyes glistened as the dark clouds positioned themselves directly above them.

Just a few Shadows will do. You don’t look like you could pose as a challenge.

“Elvn,” said Ren. “Go get a pole. I’ll hold ‘em off.”

“But—“

“Go!”

The creatures pounced. Ren knocked one away with the pole, but they kept coming. One of them grabbed Elvn’s feet with its sharp claws, causing him to trip and fall. Ren was also on the ground. The Shadows jumped, aiming their talons at Elvn and Ren’s chests.

There was a sudden burst of brilliant light. Elvn covered his eyes as he was enveloped by it. Ren soon blurred out of sight.

When the light dispersed, the hand that Elvn had used to cover his eyes was now wrapped around a strange, key-shaped weapon. He stared at it, stunned at the shiny silver and gold metal that he held. He looked to his left, but Ren was no longer there.

Instead, he was standing up as if nothing had happened. In his hands was another key weapon, except this one looked considerably darker. Its hilt was the shape of a black heart and its blade was long and thin, with intricate carvings engraved into it. A navy blue keychain hung from the Keyblade’s pommel, its heart symbol glistening, despite the shadow of the storm clouds.

Ren himself was immersed in a cloudy purple aura. He looked around himself and then…laughed.
“I feel great!” he cackled.

The cold chuckle once again filled the air. Darkness? That was unexpected.

Ren laughed again. “So this is darkness? I like it.”

“Ren?” Elvn had never seen his friend like this before.

“You stay out of this,” Ren replied coldly.

Indeed, you do like it. Why? Because you have power. Do you want more power?

“Very much.”

Then follow me. This world won’t last very long, anyway.

“Ren, don’t go! You don’t know what you’re getting yourself into!” Elvn jumped to his feet and ran towards Ren. An invisible barrier knocked him back with such force that his nose began to bleed. Not heeding the blood, he looked at his friend pleadingly.

“You were always an idiot, Elvn; always prancing around and having fun. This is the real world, where it’s all about power. And I’m going.” Ren strutted towards the armored soldier, who made a gesture. A large, black cloud of darkness emerged from thin air. The armored soldier walked into it, and Ren followed, not even bothering to look back as the portal dissipated.

Elvn was stupefied. It was all so sudden. He slowly got up and glanced at the key weapon in his hand. He scowled, wanting it to disappear. Surprisingly, it did disappear, dissolving in a column of light.

Elvn was about to sigh when there was a deafening roar of thunder. Elvn looked up to see a gargantuan orb of darkness that was swirling around like a maelstrom. One by one, to Elvn’s horror, buildings were ripped from their foundations and spiraled up into the orb, where they disappeared.

Elvn stepped back as the ground beneath him began to crack. He started to run, but he tripped and fell on his face, losing consciousness for a moment.

When he awakened, he found himself lying in a pile of wood. He stood, paralyzed at what he saw.
What was left of Serenity Town was now a small piece of land the size of a tiny isle. All around him was a swirling mess of purplish haze and debris.

It’s all gone. There’s nothing left. It’s all gone…

And it was all gone. Home, family, friends, and memories…

Twilight_Path

Elvn turned to look behind him for the origin of the powerful voice. A fully armored soldier stood there upright. Its entire body was covered in grey metal that looked old, but sturdy. Its winged helmet concealed its face, but Elvn imagined it was smirking. The soldier held a strange weapon.

I'm sorry, but for some strange reason the picture of a viking popped into my head when I read that.
XD

Okay anyways...
Wow who knew Ren woulda just given into the darkness faster than you could say "Riku!"

Aw man that sucks the whole world just got destroyed. I was kinda getting used to 'Serenity Town.' Lol.

Awesome job SD. Keep it comin'!

Essence of Elegy

Awards
Awesome job SD. Keep it comin'!

I hear and obey...

Chapter 3: Curses

Mikey finished up with Agrabah, removed it from the list, and then looked at the next item. “Serenity Town? Must be a new one.” He pulled a lever and the Gummi ship sped off, with Mikey tapping the command board casually.

His light-hearted mood was shattered when he saw the remains of Serenity Town. It was nothing but a pitiful piece of land covered in debris. “Holy…”

He was about to send a transmission back to Disney Castle when he spotted a kid sitting amidst the rubble. He was staring into space absentmindedly. Mikey pitied him as he lowered the Gummi ship next to him.

“Get in, kid,” he shouted. “You won’t last long out here.”

The kid did not answer. Mikey repeated his exclamation and this time, the kid’s head turned. Mikey beckoned him inside. The boy slowly rose and dragged himself to the ship’s ramp. Once inside, he dropped down into a chair, his head bowed.

Mikey turned back to the controls. “Hey, kid. What’s your name? I’m Mikey.”

“Elvn.”

“Cool name.” Mikey steered away from the ruined Serenity Town and had not gotten far when suddenly the devastated world dissolved away. “Damn!” cursed Mikey. Now there was no chance of bringing it back. Who could’ve done this? Mikey stared at the empty space where the world had been before turning back to the controls.

He swore loudly when he saw the giant warp hole directly in front of them. Before he could steer out of the way, they were sucked into its depths.

---------------------------------------------

Xeron stood on top of the Radiant Garden castle, arms crossed and lips twisted into a half-smile. Everything was falling into place. The worlds were like a row of dominoes: destroy one and the rest would fall. Already the energy of their obliteration had supplied him with more power; he could feel it coursing through his veins.

A dark portal materialized from another realm behind him. Shortly afterward, the armored soldier and Ren emerged from it. Without turning, Xeron said, “Well, Incor?”

The dark portal disappeared. “One of them is dead. I brought the other. Take a look and you’ll see why.”

Xeron glanced behind him. Seeing the dark Keyblade, he completely rotated his profile. “Interesting. His heart is very strong and he possesses much potential. I have been looking for an apprentice for quite some time. Do you accept, Ren?”

Without asking how Xeron knew of his name, Ren nodded. “Yeah, as long as you give me power.”

“In time, in time. But I must ask you one thing: do you have hatred?”

Ren looked at him inquiringly. “What for?”

Xeron turned back to the scene of Radiant Garden. “Hate is the father of power. You cannot have the son without the father. So I ask you again: do you have hatred?”

“No. What would I have to hate?”

“How about your best friend?”

Ren was startled. “He’s not my friend anymore,” he spat. “He was just an idiot that was in my way. Besides, he’s dead.”

Xeron continued to gaze at the peaceful houses. “No, he is not dead.”

“What?” Incor and Ren exclaimed simultaneously.

“He’s joined forces with…well, someone. I can’t tell from such a powerful world. He’s out to kill you.” The latter was a lie, but Xeron knew it would spawn hatred in the boy’s heart.

“What?” Ren was obviously shocked. “But—“

“I thought you didn’t care about him.”

Ren stuttered, “Y-Yes, but—“

“Then you must hate him. Emotions are the enemies of power. Kill them off and you will be powerful.”
Ren bowed his head, his mind flooded with conflict. He then closed his eyes and tried to suppress his heart’s commands.

“Very good,” remarked Xeron, still observing Radiant Garden’s civilians. He did so enjoy watching people freeze as darkness tore into their chests and plucked out their hearts.

--------------------------------------------------

The Gummi ship spiraled one more time before it was spit out by the warp hole. Mikey, pale in the face, dragged himself to his chair. Elvn followed suit. Mikey whispered strings of curses before retaking the throttle.

“Alright, Elvn,” he said after everything was normal. “I’m taking you to Disney Castle for recovery. You can—okay, this is getting out of hand.” Below them was Radiant Garden…being infested by Heartless.

Through his ship’s magnified visionary lenses, Mikey could see legions of Heartless storming the world. The most fearful sight of all was the indescribable amount of hearts that slowly made their way from all the tumult.

“Shit.” Mikey pushed a red button and flipped some switches. The Gummi ship engaged the planet at full speed. Once close enough, Mikey pulled the lever to slow it down.

Shit, it’s stuck!!! He pulled at it with all his might, but it wouldn’t budge. This day really sucks.

Mikey and Elvn braced themselves. No sooner had they done so when there was a deafening crash. The Gummi ship paused for a split second on a hill, and then rolled down, with both its passengers being thrown around and Mikey still cursing loudly. The Gummi ship fell off a ledge and head straight for a house.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Voran ran out of his house, Keyblade in hand as he saw the scores of Heartless scattered everywhere. He beheaded one of them and was about to go for another when he heard a huge crash. He turned around, appalled and pissed at the same time.

A heavily dented and burnt Gummi ship had just devastated his house. The roof had caved in and all the furnishings and been squashed. Only the wooden door still stood, lonely as a hermit who has been rejected. The door opened, and an angry, dirty-looking teenager stepped outside, followed by a glum, depressed-looking boy.

“What’re you looking at?” Mikey snapped at Voran.

“You destroyed my house!”

“Look—“

“No! You’re dead!”

There was a blur of motion as Mikey performed a flurry of blows on the large Heartless that was creeping up behind Voran. As Fenrir relaxed its iron bite, the Heartless disappeared in plumes of black mist. Voran stared at him, awestruck.

“If I hadn’t done that, it wouldn’t be me who’d be dead.” Mikey pushed past Voran. “C’mon Elvn. Grab something to use as a weapon.”

Elvn caught up with him, his shiny Keyblade in hand. ‘Will this do?”

Mikey stared at him in bewilderment, and then grinned. “Now that’s good timing. Let’s do this.” They both ran off, leaving a shocked Voran in their trail.

“Hey!” Voran shouted after him. “That house was expensive!” He summoned his Keyblade and ran off after them.

Cicero

Visionary
Sorry to barge into your thread without reading the actual thing, my dear friend SD...but what happened to your other fanfic I loved so much? =O The Chronicles of Ragnar?

Good luck with this story and all! ^^

Essence of Elegy

Awards
Sorry to barge into your thread without reading the actual thing, my dear friend SD...but what happened to your other fanfic I loved so much? =O The Chronicles of Ragnar?

Good luck with this story and all! ^^

No need to apologize =D. I thought you might ask this.

The reason I stopped COR and closed the thread is because I'd decided to continue it on to a novel and possibly a trilogy. So I had to plan a bunch of stuff with the characters and plot, etc, instead of just going with the flow.

So when I get about halfway through the novel, then I might post it here again. I'm paranoid when it comes to original works, since I'm afraid of people stealing ideas. But, if you want, I can send you some new chaps everytime I write one. Some critique could be useful and my parents are no help (they hate fantasy).

Oh I almost forgot. Here's an update lol. Slow updates just can't be helped.

----------------------

Chapter 4: Live to Fight

Voran was still trying to catch up with the two teenagers. What was that he had just seen in their hands? Were those Keyblades? He hacked through a Heartless soldier’s midsection as he continued to sprint on and on.

The two teenagers stopped as they became surrounded by ten Morningstars. “They’re huge!” exclaimed the one with the shiny Keyblade. “I can take ‘em,” replied the other one, who still looked angry.

Voran caught up with them and jumped. Landing on the head of one of the Morningstar Heartless, he plunged his Keyblade into its head. He leaped off as it dissolved and beheaded three more. Through all the haze he said scornfully, “You owe me double, now!”

“So you’re a Keyblade wielder, too, huh? Something must be up,” said the angry teenager as he performed an impressive series of spiral blows, tearing a couple of Heartless to shreds. “After all, the only good Keyblade wielder around is Sora, and he’s in no condition to fight right now. I’d bet even Elvn here could beat you.” He gestured at the other teenager, who had just sliced up three Morningstars in a row.
Voran glared at them. “Who the hell do you think you are?”

“Name’s Mikey. That’s Elvn.”

“First you obliterate my house,” Voran raged. “And now you’re acting as if nothing happened! And watch your mouth before I stick this Keyblade up—“

“Why did you follow us?”

Voran’s expression changed into one of puzzlement. Mikey and Elvn continued to hack and slash at the last
Heartless. After it disappeared into the air, they faced him, both waiting for an answer. Elvn didn’t seem so depressed anymore, but there were still hints of sorrow in his eyes.

“What do you mean, ‘why did you follow us?’. You destroyed my house! What am I supposed to do, stand there and watch the demolishers of my house just run off?”

“That’s life. You gonna help us out or not?” Without waiting for an answer, Mikey ran off with Elvn not far behind. Voran scowled and then sighed. He was still mad about his home, but Mikey was right. What happens is what happens.

“I guess I’ll help,” he whispered reluctantly. Rather than running, he walked after them.

----------------------------------------------------------

“Master Xeron, the current horde is diminishing.” Incor and Vulcan stepped to their master’s side, armor clinking as they did so. They were in a secret lab separate from Ansem’s and Xehanort’s. When he had feigned his death in order to escape apprenticeship from Ansem the Wise, Xeron had built the lab in order to conduct research. He already had all the knowledge and power he’d ever wanted, so now the lab served as a means to keep watch over the universe using Xeron’s advanced computer system.

“Is it? And why might that be?” Xeron was sitting in a tall chair in front of the large, blue computer screen. The light from its glow reflected off his servants’ armor as Incor answered.

“Several Keyblade wielders and that accursed Restoration Committee are making things difficult. One of them is the kid I thought had died. Another’s the one that we’ve been watching for some time and the last is a kid we’ve never seen.”

Xeron did not answer, but instead pressed a button on his keyboard. An image of Radiant Garden flared into view. He pressed another button. A small, blinking square appeared somewhere in the middle of the town. Pressing a few more buttons, the computer zoomed in to the square. Three teenagers were clearly seen fending off some Heartless as if they were fighting children.

“That’s them, Master.” Xeron glanced at right side of the screen. It currently said “72 of Legion 57” and the “72” was swiftly dropping.

“I believe we must send in something a bit more challenging to our guests. When the counter reaches zero, I will unleash my latest project.” Xeron smiled.

“That?!” exclaimed Vulcan, whose voice was deep and rasping. “The world could fall apart, Master. You said yourself that this world must remain intact at all times!”

“Your ignorance never ceases to amuse me, Vulcan,” Xeron replied smoothly. “I am far too powerful to allow a creation of mine to go out of control.”

The counter was already at “46” and was still rapidly dropping. “This is also the perfect chance to test the power of my new apprentice,” Xeron commented. “His newly found hatred will serve him well.”

“His heart is as bitter as a stubborn night and his core is immersed in the deepest of darkness.”

“He burrows into the dark realm like the power-driven soul he is.”

Xeron rose. The ceiling above him made a loud a rumble and then slowly began to open in a circular motion. Simultaneously, the floor on which they stood began to steadily rise.

Xeron smiled as they reached the roof. “They promised the worlds peace. I promised them oblivion!”

----------------------------------------------------------------

It is quite difficult to imagine something as “indescribable”, simply because it is just that: indescribable. This word was all that coursed through the trio’s minds as Radiant Garden was rocked by an incredibly deafening rumble. The three Keyblade wielders were sent to the floor, momentarily stunned.

“What the hell happened?” asked Voran as he steadily rose.

Just then a gigantic shadow enshrouded the town. The trio looked up in horror.

“Ah shit,” said Mikey.

Twilight_Path

Some critique could be useful and my parents are no help (they hate fantasy).

^ Oh good gracious don't even get me started SD. ^

Anywho, awesome awesome awesome chapter! This "latest project" sounds very intrguing... and deadly. :thumbup:

Gah! And I'm still having trouble with Mikey.

....Mikey... Mikey... Mikey... lol

I didn't see anything grammar wise, and the chapter runs smoothly so... kudos forthat!

Andillexe

Fantastic story, so far. It's very intriguing. The cliff hangers are sort of annoying, but I'd do the same. XP You remind me of a guy I once knew; your writing styles are identical. Looking forward to the "latest project." Keep writing, dude. This is awesome.

Essence of Elegy

Awards
Thanks for the comments =D.

-------------------
Chapter 5: Fear’s Gaze

The massive dragon threw back its triangular head and a mind-piercing roar resonated from the depths of its chest. The skin of the Heartless dragon was a navy blue and its wings were and horns were vermilion. Its eyes gleamed with uncanny intelligence mingled with a desire to destroy. Each flap of its leathery wings caused a vortex of wind to wreak havoc on the village. It swung its long, thick tail and dozens of houses went flying, splitting into splinters at the same time.

Mikey’s curses were drowned in the crowds of people that sprinted away, pale-skinned and screaming. The three pushed their way as best they could until they reached a flat boulder, upon which they pulled themselves.

“What is that thing?” asked Voran with a mixture of awe and fright.

“I’ve never seen a Heartless like that!” exclaimed Mikey in response.

“Heartless?” inquired Elvn. “What are they?”

Mikey briefly explained the Heartless and their nature. “But that thing,” he whispered, “looks nothing like a Heartless.”

After a moment, Mikey said firmly, “We have to take it down.”

Voran laughed bitterly. “Piece of cake,” he commented sarcastically.

Mikey’s face darkened as he examined every feature of the Heartless dragon. “From what I’ve learned as a soldier, every Heartless has a weak spot. And it’s usually the head.” To emphasize his point, he jabbed a finger in the direction of the dragon’s snout.

“What are we gonna do? Fly?” asked Voran skeptically.

Mikey smiled slyly. “Sort of.” Without further notice, Mikey crouched low and then—to Mike and Voran’s astonishment—blasted off in one single, powerful jump. Soon he was nothing but a speck in the sky as he landed on the dragon’s broad back. The Heartless took no notice.

“He ditched us!” accused Voran. “How’re we supposed to catch up?” Elvn shrugged.

Voran watched as the dragon’s thick, spiny tail slid across the ground, ripping apart houses in its wake. An idea struck him.

“Follow me.” Voran ran towards the thick tail, with Elvn not far behind. Once they were level, Voran shouted above the chaos, “On my signal, we jump!” Elvn nodded.

“3!”

The huge tail was getting closer by the second, the houses it tore up doing little to slow it down.

“2!”

The tail was now twenty paces away from them and rapidly closing in.

“1!”

Five paces.

“Jump!” The two of them leaped, grabbing on to one of the smaller spines protruding from the tail as it rose to prepare for another assault.

They steadily climbed up the tail, until finally they reached the dragon’s back and fell down panting.
After regaining his breath, Voran glared at Mikey. “Why’d you do that?”

Mikey was guilty, but he concealed it from his face. “I’m used to having partners with some of my abilities. Sorry.” He turned around and surveyed the head of the dragon. “Now let’s get cracking,” he said as he strode up to the neck. He was careful not to lose his balance.

Reaching close to the head, he summoned Fenrir. He slowly raised it above his head for momentum and gathered all his energy. Then, with all of his might, he thrust the blade towards the dragon’s skull.
There was a loud ping that resonated from the skull of the dragon and sent shockwaves through Mikey’s bones. Fenrir was knocked from his hands and landed on the dragon’s neck. The dragon didn’t even turn its head in questioning. The skin’s as hard as metal! thought Mikey. How’re we gonna beat it?

His thoughts were interrupted by a cry from Elvn behind him. Mikey turned abruptly before asking irritably, “Well, who’re you?”

Before them stood a youth in shiny black armor. The protective layers covered every part of his body except his face, which was twisted into a scornful sneer.

“Ren?” asked Elvn with astonishment.

“Ren?” Mikey turned to Elvn. “You know him?”

Elvn did not answer; he had eyes only for Ren. His voice became angry. “Ren, what’s wrong with you? Have you gone insane?”

Ren’s sneer ceased to falter as he replied, “What are you talking about, you fool? I have only done what I’ve desired to do for years.”

It was only then that Elvn noticed Ren’s yellow eyes. “Ren,” he whispered. “You’ve changed.”

“Indeed he has.”

The three turned to face a man garbed in all black. His ebony cape billowed silently in the wind and his armored hands were behind his back. Other than that, he wore a midnight cloak with more dark attire underneath. His dark blue hair was almost shoulder-length and his fair skin showed no signs of effect by the sun.

“Great,” said Mikey. “Another clown. Who’re you?” Despite Mikey’s tough tone, his grip on Fenrir tightened when it appeared in column of light in his hands after being dropped. There was something about this guy he didn’t like.

The man’s thin lips twisted into a malevolent smile. He lifted his head, revealing startling yellow eyes.
At that moment, Mikey’s grip on Fenrir loosened as his breathing became short, sharp rasps. The eyes seemed to be piercing his soul; he couldn’t look away. His skin went pale and beads of sweat trailed down his back. The eyes became bigger until that was all he could see. Those piercing eyes…

Finally, with all of his willpower, he tore away his gaze, putting his hands on his knees and breathing heavily.
He was still pale from the experience.

What?

The man chuckled. It was a cold, cruel chuckle that seemed to fill the air with its chilling aura.
“You heart is strong if you can resist Fear’s Gaze so early into the process.” The man’s voice was seemingly normal and sounded like that of a young man’s, but underneath that tone was unmistakable power.

After Mikey regained self-control, he asked through gritted teeth, “Who the hell are you?”
The man laughed impassively. “I am sometimes known as the Doom Whisperer and the Harbinger of Finality, but my most feared name is Xeron.”

Mikey rolled his eyes. A typical conceited villain. “What do you want?” he asked angrily.

“A test of your abilities.”

Mikey was surprised. Was that all? Despite Xeron’s tone, he didn’t look all that tough.

“Indeed,” answered Xeron. “My apprentice shall take care of his former best friend and one of my servants shall engage Voran. That leaves you for me. Take care to hurry if you wish to defeat me. Radiant Garden will not be radiant for much longer.”

Mikey glanced behind. Elvn and Voran were already locked in fierce, separate duels with Ren and an armored soldier.

Mikey gripped Fenrir and, on an impulse, charged in with a downward swing. There was a blur of motion as

Xeron blocked it with a long, dark, and intricate Keyblade that seemed to materialize from nowhere. Mikey’s eyes widened.

“It appears dear old Richard was wrong,” remarked Xeron as metal clashed with metal.

-------------------------------------

Not the best chap., but I’m too lazy to write anymore.

Endless Warrior Sora

Return of the Kid
Awards
Wow, I just read your story, and it is very good. Question: Why is Sora in no shape to weild the Keyblade? I hope you address that soon. Anyway, great job and keep it up.
Uh....Sora's not in this. At least he was but not really long, this is based off an RP we did and Shadow changed some stuff sooooo...yeah...unless Shadow makes it so...Sora's not here.

Essence of Elegy

Awards
This is a never-before-read, all-new chapter. So readers, old and new, this is a true update.

-------------

Chapter 6: Awaken

Ren!

Elvn clenched his teeth as he parried another of Ren’s fatal blows. They had fought before back in Serenity Town, but never like this. There was too much anger…to much hatred. Elvn caught glimpses of an intense scornful glare in Ren’s eyes before he had to block more of his attacks. Ren struck with such ferocity that it took all of Elvn’s strength to hold on to his Keyblade.

“Ren, what’re you doing? I’ve been looking for you—“

“So you could kill me?” Ren spat as he rained a string of moderate blows on Elvn’s Keyblade. Elvn expected it to break any moment. “I know why you’ve joined forces with those two oafs. You want to kill me! Not gonna happen!”

Elvn gritted his teeth and, finding an opening, took the offensive. He proceeded with some newfound energy into a series of clever strikes, but Ren blocked every one of them. “What’re you talking about, Ren?” asked Elvn through the fray.

“Don’t play dumb with me!” Ren shouted as he swung a very heavy blow that knocked Elvn’s Keyblade out his hand. Before Ren could do anything else, Elvn rolled out of the way, his Keyblade appearing in his hands once more. Elvn turned around just in time to block some more blows, but one of them landed hard on his side. Elvn winced, but took the pain.

The dragon took no heed of the fighting taking place on his back, but instead continued to wreak havoc on Radiant Garden. There wasn’t much left to destroy. Everything was an utter mess; nothing but debris could be seen for kilometers around. Not to mention the bodies—well, the ones that hadn’t been devoured.

-------

Voran himself was faring no better than Elvn; perhaps even worse. Incor was not only a skilled swordsman, but he had command over the ice element. Twice did Voran have to break free of the chilly grasp that his feet had been embedded in. The only way he could do this was to whisper an Inferno spell, which melted the ice instantly, but left a freezing feeling in his toes. He whispered because he didn’t want Incor to know where his powers came from.

During their tenth round, Incor chuckled before commenting, “You’re doing better than that friend of yours.” Incor nodded toward Elvn. “But it won’t be enough!” Incor kicked Voran in the stomach, sending him sprawling to the ground, which was steely hard because of the dragon’s skin.

“A dishonorable move,” remarked Incor as he approached Voran to make the final blow, “but Master Xeron cannot tolerate scum such as you.” Incor raised his palm, and a cocoon of ice slowly began to wrap around Voran. Its frozen touch already sent numbing shockwaves through Voran’s body. He could feel his mind cloud and a wave of hopelessness flood through him. Just as the creeping ice began to seep up his neck, Voran creased his brow in concentration. His body radiated in an orange aura before the ice cocoon shattered. Incor stood still as the fragments of ice bounced off his armor with a thunk.

Voran took the opportunity to attack, and so, from his training with Leon, he commenced with a series of controlled attacks that consisted of fakes, twirls, stabs, and slashes. Back in Leon’s old world, this technique was used frequently by notable swordsmen. Incor had trouble deflecting them all, and a couple of the blows landed on his thigh and neck. The armor, despite its aged appearance, protected him from anything more than a scratch, however.

-------

Mikey landed blow after blow, but no matter what he did, he could not get past Xeron’s guard. To his horror, Xeron was doing everything with one hand. It either meant he was cocky or stronger than he was showing. If the latter were the case, Mikey had doubts that his abilities could even put a scratch on Xeron. And that would mean trouble.

Do you want to let me handle this?

Mikey scowled. Not again. Never again. This time, he’d fight it.

But can you? You’re only human, after all. I am the meaning of power.

I can give you what you want….

But what was it he wanted? Even he didn’t know. The dreams…the goals…they had been buried so deep inside his heart that his mind could no longer reach them. But it could.

NO!

Mikey continued to battle Xeron, clashing his Keyblade time after time, while simultaneously fighting off the growing force that seeped into his mind, coaxing him with soft whispers…But this time, he’d win the mental struggle. After what happened last time…those poor villagers…and he had killed them all mercilessly…he could still picture himself squatting in the dirt, a pool of blood nestled in his cupped hands.

You gave in last time. It felt good, didn’t it?

“You shut up!” Mikey roared as he dive bombed Xeron with frightening ferocity. With a flick of his wrist, Xeron deflected it, twisted around, punched Mikey in the stomach, and then threw him to the ground. Mikey lay sprawled there, trembling as the pain shot through his entire body. Xeron stared down at him, daring him to make the next move.

You see? You can’t beat him without me. We are one mind, one soul…Feel it…Relax and I’ll take care of the rest…

“Never!” Mikey quickly got to his feet. His bruises ached terribly, but it wasn’t unbearable. A drop of blood trickled from his mouth and slowly ran down his neck, a symbol of Xeron’s superiority. Panting heavily, he raised his Keyblade with trembling hands.

Xeron grinned. “You’re a persistent one. But I believe the battle is already over.”

Mikey stared at him for a moment, before his vision suddenly blurred. He felt his knees hitting the ground as his surroundings became darker with each cruel second. Finally, he blacked out completely, diving into the abyss of sub consciousness.

No, not yet. I can’t lose now…

It’s taking over…​

Xeron dispelled his Keyblade with a smirk. “And that is that.” He turned on his heels to assist his servants and was just about to do so when he heard a strange sound. He glanced behind him at Mike’s unconscious form. It sounded like…fire?

Curious, Xeron turned his head fully. There was a faint flame that was flickering in Mike’s head. The flame danced for a bit before flaring up with a roar. The flames covered parts of Mikey’s body, which began to slowly rise. Xeron raised an eye brow when he saw Mikey’s eyes. They were a poisonous shade of orange.

“What’s this?”

Mikey grinned wickedly. “Our name…is power!” He suddenly reared back his head and expanded his chest, before throwing it forward and letting a torrent of hungry flames shooting towards Xeron with a startling velocity. Xeron simply stared as the fire made its way towards him, its greedy tendrils fighting for his tender flesh.

The column of flame hit him full throttle. It kept going for a while before dissipating. But the hunger of the blaze had not been satisfied. There stood Xeron, with not a single burn on him. He feigned a yawn and wiped some ashes of his shoulder.

“Power? If that is your definition of power, then you have much to learn.” With lightning speed, he held his hand before him, as if to give Mikey a high five. “Now,” he shouted, “you will learn the true essence of power!”

The air distorted around his raised hand as streaks of dark blue energy swirled into his palm, forming an orb. The energy kept compacting itself into the orb until it was a mess of cyclonic power. Xeron licked his lips before letting go of the orb. It expanded into a column of dark aura, which zoomed towards Mikey even faster than the fire had.

Mikey hissed and let out a terrifying screech, one given off by no creature Xeron had ever heard of.

We are power…

We are god…

-------------

Last two lines come from the Naruto manga. I couldn’t resist =D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back