• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

5 Year NA Anniversary

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

redcrown

Awards
I don't know why but this game gave me strong KH1-like nostalgia. It's just something about it's vibe and atmosphere that gives me old school KH feels. Maybe because most of the worlds were from older Disney films? Except Tron which stuck out as the weird anomaly.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Precursor Mar said:
79ae047335e1969c62cd5317e89370c3.jpg

'll save the fuel on my blowtorch and just say that I enjoyed Flowmotion.
635967771178818571-874338632_relieved.gif

Hirokey123

Awards
I...just want to point out your gif doesn't work since pretty much anyone knows what follows next is Dante getting up and going after Vergil where he ultimately seizes victory. Sooooo really your gif basically means that after stabbing DDD it's going to get it up and prove victorious. Might not want to frame DDD as someone who is unbeatable, cool, and always bouncing back from defeat if you hate the game that much.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
fair enough, i still wouldnt have the patience because i'm a scummy little man so it dont matter

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Here for the queer baiting and SoS.

Young Xehanort is actually the worst, though. It's almost a remarkable achievement: Nomura finally managed to create a character with less presence than Kairi.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Young Xehanort is actually the worst, though. It's almost a remarkable achievement: Nomura finally managed to create a character with less presence than Kairi.

And it's even worse considering he's a character constantly featured in the game.
But hey, that's what happens when you make almost all of your villains cast mere ingredients for the plot to go forward.

They're vessels even in narration, and that's never a good thing.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Personally, I consider Young Xehanort to be better than Ansem SoD, Xemnas, and Old Xehanort. Well, I'd consider him better than a lot of characters in this series actually, but among the nort's, he's by far my favorite.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
And it's even worse considering he's a character constantly featured in the game.
But hey, that's what happens when you make almost all of your villains cast mere ingredients for the plot to go forward.

They're vessels even in narration, and that's never a good thing.
Most of the villains are given at least a modicum of characterization, though. The members of XIII we meet in CoM are all well-defined as characters with their own agendas and motivations, and even though KH2 was more reliant on identifiable tropes in attempting to differentiate the remaining members from one another, main players like Xigbar, Saix and of course Xemnas pointedly stood out from the crowd. These characters have defined arcs which continue to inspire interest and discussion.

Young Xehanort, by contrast, is so lacking in innate motivation that the writers literally had to invent a reason that his presence would have no impact in order to keep him from accidentally doing anything meaningful.

Personally, I consider Young Xehanort to be better than Ansem SoD, Xemnas, and Old Xehanort. Well, I'd consider him better than a lot of characters in this series actually, but among the nort's, he's by far my favorite.
Interesting. Is it a matter of how the characters are presented? I feel like the writers for DDD did everything possible to make YX as flat and unprovoking as possible, whereas Ansem SoD was (decidedly past tense) a thoughtful and convincing antagonist who managed to betray expectations in KH1; Xemnas continues to manifest a direct threat to the core philosophy at the center of the KH universe; and Master Xehanort is just eccentric and maniacal enough to strike me as believably invested in his long-con-- although DDD also weakened this latter characterization for me a lot.

Oathkeyper97

*Raises hand*
I genuinely enjoy this game and don't feel disappointed by its faults.
*sheepishly crouches in corner*

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Most of the villains are given at least a modicum of characterization, though. The members of XIII we meet in CoM are all well-defined as characters with their own agendas and motivations, and even though KH2 was more reliant on identifiable tropes in attempting to differentiate the remaining members from one another, main players like Xigbar, Saix and of course Xemnas pointedly stood out from the crowd. These characters have defined arcs which continue to inspire interest and discussion.

Young Xehanort, by contrast, is so lacking in innate motivation that the writers literally had to invent a reason that his presence would have no impact in order to keep him from accidentally doing anything meaningful.

Yes, exactly. When people had personalities and goals that aren't "I'm saying and doing this because I've been told so" (aka when they are characters), they're okay.
But now they're literally there to make numbers, even plot-wise. Young had nothing going for himself, and even Ansem and Xemnas are under the risk of losing what made them "them" and becoming Xehanort no.2 and 3.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
even Ansem and Xemnas are under the risk of losing what made them "them" and becoming Xehanort no.2 and 3.
Yeah, I share this concern; seeing them reduced to grunts is disappointing. But as utterly hokey as it all sounds, I do think there's a conceptual value to the way in which Xehanort is attempting to literally subvert individual agency by placing pieces of himself in other characters, and I'm hoping that the message received at the other end is one of the overriding strength of identifying markers and values. Braig, for instance, is clearly only aligned with Xehanort in order to advance his own prospects, and we're all in the dark as to where Isa stands, so there's room for good character work to be done there. I feel like Ansem SoD is a lost cause (RIP), though I remain hopeful for Xemnas because most of the things he did in DDD and the recent scene of him in Twilight Town are firmly in-character, even if they seem like they're in service of MX's grand scheme.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I find it hard to differentiate any of the versions of Xehanort from one another to be honest. (Well, replace “darkness” with “nothingness” in Xemnas’ dialogue.) I guess my opinion is that they’re all hollow, boring villains when it comes to their motivations*. For whatever reason, I found Young Xehanort more intimidating than the others. A lot is probably owed to the voice actor and the fact that he is featured in most of the action of 3D, but also that mother of a boss battle.

Looking at Diskin’s other work on Wiki, the only thing I recognize him for is Fiore in that Sailor Moon movie (I haven’t seen Crystal or the redub, which he apparently is also in).

*Marluxia is the same way. I think Saix, Larxene, Axel (CoM-only), and Vexen are better villains than any of the Xehanort's.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Things I liked after finishing it:
-Monstro, prankster's paradise, hunchback, symphony
-The music for country of the musketeers, prankster's, symphony, and hunchback
-The last couple of boss fights
-The fact that Xemnas and Xigbar get to dunk on Sora like 4 times in World that Never Was

Things I disliked after finishing it:
-Dream eaters; they just weren't fun, since you couldn't really control them
-All of the Grid. Especially the way it tries to force in KHII and the horrible real-life models of the characters
-Little to no NPC's in most worlds
-Boring, easy boss fights; again, except for the end
-Little to no exploration, since the worlds were big but completely empty and not very interactive
-Created rules for time travel that no one asked for
-Worlds felt pointless
-Weird scattered plot towards the beginning threw you in without explaining to you why they're there until some (if I remember correctly) optional cutscenes show you the prologue of the game. WHY ARE THEY OPTIONAL
-Downright weird looking keyblades at points (although the ones that are harder to get are admittedly sweet, and the combined keyblade is beautiful)
-Obnoxious or flat voice acting (Sorry, Ben Diskin, really didn't like you here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back