• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

5 Year NA Anniversary

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I find it hard to differentiate any of the versions of Xehanort from one another to be honest. (Well, replace “darkness” with “nothingness” in Xemnas’ dialogue.) I guess my opinion is that they’re all hollow, boring villains when it comes to their motivations*. For whatever reason, I found Young Xehanort more intimidating than the others. A lot is probably owed to the voice actor and the fact that he is featured in most of the action of 3D, but also that mother of a boss battle.
The Xehanorts definitely have similar goals and motivations (which makes sense) but I've always thought of them as representative of very different means to an ultimate end. Even their mannerisms are starkly contrasted: Ansem SoD is poetically cryptic and uses ornate, sweeping gestures to push his agenda whereas Xemnas is viciously analytical, as well as more subtle and refined in his provocations. Master Xehanort picks up on aspects from each of them and is framed as delectably evil camp rooted in a kind of primal menace. The approaches they use to summon Kingdom Hearts are indicative of this, as well: Ansem sinks whole worlds into darkness while Xemnas concentrates on exploiting the elemental make-up of people (their hearts, memories, associated bits and pieces) which can be contained, studied and deconstructed. Master Xehanort is less roundabout than either of them, and that makes him feel more dangerous: he'll destroy anyone and anything not only as a matter of course, but by way of actively inviting them into his plans. Casualties of friendship and existence become the means to his end-- which appropriately informs Sora's rebuke of the Xehanorts in DDD. YX, by contrast, is way too nebulous for me: I feel like he never makes a mark on the plot which couldn't be substituted with any other bad guy. So it's interesting to hear that others regard him as a favorite.

I think Saix, Larxene, Axel (CoM-only), and Vexen are better villains than any of the Xehanort's.
Larxene and Vexen are great villains, and Saix is almost too good to be given a secondary role. Again, I'd say all of the CoM baddies are superbly realized, with even Lexaeus managing to establish himself in his brief appearance as a force to be reckoned with.

-Obnoxious or flat voice acting (Sorry, Ben Diskin, really didn't like you here!)
At last, vindication.
Your post reminded me that I liked some of the things you liked, too, like the field and battle music in those worlds. That's generally a given with KH but Shimomura went so free-spirit on DDD that the parts that work really stand out to me.

The Young Xehanort boss fight baffles me, because I don't recall having any issue with it (I don't recall much about it tbh) but people talk of it like there was something uniquely frustrating to it. Meanwhile I always die to the Parasite Cage in KH1, it's downright laughable.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Always interesting to hear different reactions. I have no problems with Diskin's voice acting whatsoever. I'd even say it was a highlight. I think of TAV when I think of flat voice acting. Which reminds me how much I dread Old Xehanort's replacement voice actor being as bad as Ansem SoD's replacement. At least--God willing--it'll only be for one game.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Yeah, it is funny. I consider Willa Holland's performance to be a constant highlight but a lot of people can't stand her. What can you do~. Except insist that Holland rules and Diskin drools.

But yeah I agree with you in that Epcar really sank Ansem for me with his overblown execution, and with how on-point Nimoy was...just gotta hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I agree that Willa was good and Diskin just... not. I don't think Willa was good the entire game, but she definitely got better and better with each Dismey world.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I agree that Willa was good and Diskin just... not. I don't think Willa was good the entire game, but she definitely got better and better with each Dismey world.
ben diskin was and is good, unlike willa he's a professional VA and had an air of mystery and dread surrounding him. willa's work is actuallt commendable for not doing a lot of voice work, discounting much of BbS but the same goes for jason dorhing who both improved significantly, as did richard epcar as ansem.

Muke

whatever
Awards
had an air of mystery and dread surrounding him
I just found him monotone and boring, sorry, I guess. I liked his Japanese VA a lot more.

I don't think Willa herself was bad, the voice direction is at fault here again. Might be the case for Ben as well, I don't know.

redcrown

Awards
It's hard to know how good a voice actor can be if they are bogged down by bad script writing and misaimed voice directing.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
A little pet peeve I have with 3D is the order for the first 3 Disney worlds. The journal, theater, and credits suggests the order should be Les Cite Des Cloches, Prankster's Paradise, then the Grid yet in the game Paradise has a noticeably higher battle level than the Grid so it makes it tough to play the game it in the story order.

Storywise Paradise does come before the Grid because Xemnas shows up in both worlds yet Sora's reaction to him in Paradise suggests it's his first time seeing him. Oh well.

What's interesting about the Disney worlds in 3D is how much they improvised when it came to the areas. KH2 and BBS's world areas went strictly according to what was in the movie yet a lot of the areas in 3D were completely made up like a lot of the court of miracles and the inside of the opera in Country of Musketeers.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I personally liked Ben Diskin a lot, Young Xehanort in general was such an enoyable character for me in DDD, as was Xemnas too, but Ansem SoD was a bit off for me too, at that time I was just sooo used to his original voice, it became somehow iconic, but one must understand when such changes happen...
Holland on the other hand... you know, her voice acting is not that good, but the voice itself is perfect for Aqua as a character, the tone, the nuance, the sound, so in the end I associate even the way the acting goes with the character itself without it taking away my appreciation for Aqua. She's badass, but she does see things one-way almost always, so a rather flat voice with not expresive variations suits that part of her personality.

Anyway this is a DDD thread, and I WISH I COULD TRANSFER MY DREAM EATERS TO THE HD REMIX, playing without them feels empty as heck. I grew attached to my Keeba Tiger and Me Me Bunny, and they are freakin' strong too, they deal with Young Xehanort so well when I replay the battle. Damn, that YX battle... the music, the 3D visual, the move patterns, I love to replay it.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
DDD feels much better to play than BBS. When you get down to it, it really isn't much better mechanically, but everything is programmed better, everything feels smoother, and the jank is kept to a minimum. I hope when KH3 comes out, we can view DDD as Osaka's 'midway point', when KH3 nails both the gamefeel and game balance! It'll happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back