• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

3D Yen Sid time travel power

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

korr4k

Awards
I'm re-playing 3D and I'm finding it hard to understand what is going on with Yen Sid at the beginning of 3D.

The entire problem comes from him saying "I'm sanding you back into the past so that you can ride along with Destiny Island's heart into its dream". I have read someone saying that Sora and Riku are using the same time travel power of Xehanort because there was a time when they became pure hearts and Yen Sid is working as the assistant to the process (similar to what shade SoD did to his younger self) but it doesn't work IMHO.

First of all, they are sent back to around KH1period of time but the worlds' hearts wake up post KH2. Is it just "reality" preserving itself? Let me clarify this: we know that once something happens it can't be changed, so if up until 3D those hearts were sleeping, the first moment they can wake up without changing reality has to be during 3D. TLDR Sora and Riku wake the hearts during KH1 but they actually wake up during 3D. The second option is that as soon as they enter the Sleeping realm they return to their timeline?

Second, Sora and Riku come back to the "present" in 3D but they KEEEP their memories which is something Xehanort's method doesn't allow.

Do I have to consider this whole time travel as "Yen Sid can use magic, it's his doing" or what?

korr4k

Awards
They didnt time travel. They went to a dream version of Destiny Islands.

He is clearly saying that he sent them back in time, to the beginning of KH1, so that they could enter the Sleeping realm with Destiny Island's heart. Once inside said realm it would be easier to move between dreams.

Sora and Riku don't have the power of waking during 3D, they can't enter any sleeping heart without it. The solution was then to follow a world's heart into the sleeping realm.

Note that this is also further proved by the fact that SoD's shade form placed the Recusant's Sigil on Sora at that moment

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
The way I understand it is that they traveled back using the same method as Xehanort. From what we see in Remind, as long as they're not in direct proximity of their previous versions they can take on a corporeal form.
As Destiny Island fell to Darkness they opened the Keyhole to the Realm of Sleep, where they traveled through the worlds, which should have lead them back to present time. The game doesn't really do a great job at explaining this. Nor does it really make all that much sense, considering they were aiming to reawaken worlds that didn't wake up POST KH1...

AegisXIII

Awards
I really hope dreams are gonna play a huge role in the future so that we can finally understand what all of this was about.
My understanding is that destiny islands were not a sleeping world but the past. They simply managed to get a corporal form like in Remind. I have no idea how though.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
But what was Ursula doing there?! (R.I.P. nice number.)
yeah that part is weird, Perhaps they were sent back to Destiny Island as it became a sleeping world? But then what would Robe-Ansem be doing there. This is probably one of the least well explained parts of the series.

AegisXIII

Awards
yeah that part is weird, Perhaps they were sent back to Destiny Island as it became a sleeping world? But then what would Robe-Ansem be doing there. This is probably one of the least well explained parts of the series.
I think it was explained that they went back to Destiny Islands before they went overtaken by darkness. Once the darkness are here, they simply have to use this as a gate to the sleeping worlds. So Destiny Islands are real, which is why robe ansem is here. I am more concerned about how they can have a body. I guess in the sleeping worlds, bodies are not important (that's why young xehanort can exist there). But there are still a lot of unknowns, which is why DDD has the worst plot exposition of all time.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I think it was explained that they went back to Destiny Islands before they went overtaken by darkness. Once the darkness are here, they simply have to use this as a gate to the sleeping worlds. So Destiny Islands are real, which is why robe ansem is here. I am more concerned about how they can have a body. I guess in the sleeping worlds, bodies are not important (that's why young xehanort can exist there). But there are still a lot of unknowns, which is why DDD has the worst plot exposition of all time.
Them being on the DI as the world falls to Darkness makes the most sense, until Ursula shows up. Like i dont think she's the real Ursula, but i also dont think they changed realms yet, so what's going on?

I'm guessing there's some body projection going on like in KH1 and ReMind.

Yep DDD added a lot of new concepts and did a bad job at explaining them.

Awards
This is one of those things in the series that you try to wrap your head around, but get a bit confused, and understandably so! XD

I would assume they just kept travelling forth in time, as per the rules of time travel Young Xehanort laid out at the end of DDD. So I'm assuming that with each world's keyhole they'd unlock, they'd fully awaken that world and restore it completely. Because Yen Sid had said that while those worlds had come back from being consumed by darkness, they were still in slumber.

Back