• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

3D is the only KH game I've played through once so far

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
To me, the only thing I like about this game is the story. I absolutely hate the gameplay. I don't like how big the areas are. It's much more difficult to aquire certain commands and abilities because of having to "raise" dream eaters. Requiring certain dream eaters in order to abilities equipped. Not to mention, it's actually kind of a hard game.
The dream eaters stuff is very tedious and not fun at all.
Because of all this, it just hasn't been worth it to play this game over again. I've tried to and I just eventually stop because I get really frustrated.
The ONLY thing I like about the gameplay are the reality shifts and use of the touchscreen.

I hope with an HD remaster, things will get a little more simple, but I'm not counting on it.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Tbh I love the game for majority of the reasons that you seem to hate it. I love how large and expansive the areas are because it gives life to the world and makes it feel much more real, especially when compared to BbS which had very barren areas. I love the difficulty because it's the only other game in the series I found as challenging as KH1 (now then KH2FM when we finally got that), but that problem is easily remedied by just picking a different difficulty level. Granted, I do agree with the gripe about being forced to keep certain Dream Eaters on board for abilities/bonuses instead of being allowed to earn them by leveling up the DE permanently and the being able to switch.

Although, I was fine with majority of the Dream Eater leveling system and the emphasis on how to care for them. It could have been tweaked a little and been a little better, and some Dream Eaters aren't that great looking while others look amazing, but I still loved the unique system it added. Plus, the UIs for Dream Eaters were a lot smarter than the UIs for Donald and Goofy in KH2.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I've only once in my life replayed RE:COM that wasn't because I got it on a system upgrade like RE:COM to KH 1.5 remix. That replay was about a year after I finish the game the first time. Just for context I was able to replay Days right after I finish the normal difficulty run. That shows I have a high tolerance for tediousness and I still had trouble replaying COM.

Awards
Tbh I love the game for majority of the reasons that you seem to hate it. I love how large and expansive the areas are because it gives life to the world and makes it feel much more real, especially when compared to BbS which had very barren areas. I love the difficulty because it's the only other game in the series I found as challenging as KH1 (now then KH2FM when we finally got that), but that problem is easily remedied by just picking a different difficulty level. Granted, I do agree with the gripe about being forced to keep certain Dream Eaters on board for abilities/bonuses instead of being allowed to earn them by leveling up the DE permanently and the being able to switch.

Although, I was fine with majority of the Dream Eater leveling system and the emphasis on how to care for them. It could have been tweaked a little and been a little better, and some Dream Eaters aren't that great looking while others look amazing, but I still loved the unique system it added. Plus, the UIs for Dream Eaters were a lot smarter than the UIs for Donald and Goofy in KH2.

I think my problem with the areas being so large is because they were so EMPTY and that was boring to me.

I like a challenge as well, but it just gets annoying after awhile. And I don't like playing games on beginner because they are way too easy.

And I agree about the dream eaters' UI, except when it came to healing. Lol my dream eaters rarely ever wanted to heal me.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I like it for all of the reasons you listed. I've always wanted big areas, like how they used to be in KH1. We got that back in KH3D but even bigger.

I wanted the game to be hard like it was back with KH1. We got that again in KH3D, and it made the satisfaction of winning boss battles stronger.

I liked the limitations that having your abilities tied to Dream Eaters placed on you. I didn't want to be a beast at the end of KH3D like I would end up in every other KH game. (Balloon/ra/ga essentially makes you unstoppable, anyways)

I loved the AI of the Dream Eaters because they actually did crap and didn't die like Donald and Goofy. If Donald and Goofy could have an adaptive AI like the DEs in KH3 but even better, I would love KH3 forever.

The only thing I didn't like was raising Dream Eaters because I didn't have the energy to max-affinity level them. That was some bullshit.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Tbh I loved the game for mostly everything you hated it for. DE training was tedious with the affinity levels and all, I loved the panel system but I hated how my abilities wouldn't stick. It was off putting when I swapped dream eaters so I did it as little as possible. The battles were challenging yet rewarding, the areas were expansive and colorful, he only world I didn't care for was prankster's paradise but only because I can't remember it well.

If some minor shit was tweaked and content was added, this would make for a great remaster. And if not, it still would. The HD graphics would make the game feel more vibrant and alive and the glitches would most likely be removed. But no one will make you buy it, and maybe in a package you'll appreciate the game despite it's shortcomings.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
I'm pretty much the opposite as I absolutely love 3D even if the story goes a bit crazy to the end with the whole time travel thing. That's the only thing preventing this game from being my favourite KH game, which loses out to KH1.

I find the gameplay to be extremely enjoyable, so much so that I replayed the game as soon as I finished it the first time. I find KH games to lack replay value except for the story, even then I refuse to replay them simply because I remember the majority of what's happened. The gameplay is fine the first time but it's bland, there's nothing to make me go back a play again except for in 3D and COM. Those two are the only KH games that I can play forever, 3D more so than COM. I just find the flowmotion so enjoyable, you can also muster up new combos which prevents the game from ever getting boring. I just wish they would have included more flomo attacks though.

I really loved the ability system, it made me feel like I was always trying to achieve something. If the ability system would have been like previous games, I probably wouldn't have tried using all the Dream Eaters.

As for the difficulty, I did find it extremely hard on the first run. I spent three hours trying to beat Ansem but when I tried again on proud/critical I found the whole game to be a breeze. I love difficulty, if it's done right. I felt like the game never tried to cheat me (except for a glitch I experienced during a boss fight) and I never felt the game was impossible. That's what made it so fun, the whole game is just so rewarding to me.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
This game is weird. I hate it, but I think I’ve played through it the most besides BBS. I really hope if we get a HD version of the game, they’ll treat it like a Final Mix title. One of the things I hate the most is you can’t use commands in flowmotion.

I didn’t like dream eaters at all but having my abilities tied to them didn’t feel too bad. Having my commands tied to them on the other hand was terrible. I always end up with so few commands because I want to focus on getting all the good abilities right off the bat.

The game could use some balance across the board too. It’s hard for sure, but not always fair. I think it’s about time square looked into implementing the system most character action games use where enemies won’t attack you if they aren’t in the camera’s view.

Honestly I feel like this game would feel a lot better on a bigger screen. Such a fast game on such a small screen isn’t a good combo.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I feel all fluffy inside reading that so many people actually love DDD just like I do, ironically exactly for the reasons you listed as negative xD

The challenging gameplay made you focus on Keyblade, commands and Dream Eaters simultaneously and, while the first two things seem of main importance, it's actually the Dream Eaters that add action to the game. Sure, there is Flowmotion which is hella cool especially with 3D activated and playing around with the camera, but it's because of the Dream Eaters we get new commands, items, abilities. In most cases, that makes the player happy to have them, or to have discovered them (we know we push our luck sometimes to get a new, unknown Dream Eater~).

In the first run you don't know what to expect from a Dream Eater, there's equal chances of feeling disappointment in one and absolute joy because of the other. You end up having a preference for a few, because of their abilities or their design, or both, and... I must say, personally, the first thing I do when I load DDD now is to pet the 2 Dream Eaters I got attached to most, a Me Me Bunny and Keeba Tiger. I will NEVER forget how my beloved Keeba Tiger saved my ass during the Young Xehanort battle, healing me just in time to finish YX off, and casting Dark Firaga after to help my final attack.

Yeah, it's this kind of feeling with DDD, if you take the game properly and openly, even with its difficulty that may become tedious to some. To me, this difficulty was what kept me interested till the end, actually, and made me want to master all of the game's features, and to maintaining my interest the full-of-cliffhangers wtf story contributed a lot. That was good. And the areas felt gigantic, just think of the Hockomonkey battle on Sora's side, now THAT was a huge battlefield with plenty of space to run, hide, or get caught! Or the MAJESTIC areas of Symphony of Sorcery, I personally felt like I enjoyed every single step Sora or Riku made in that beautiful world. Not to mention Prankster's Paradise on Sora's side. The way the big areas, even empty of NPCs, encouraged you to explore just by how open and endless they seemed sometimes, now that's true art.

I had the immense pleasure to complete the game 100%, I haven't felt so satisfied since... man, I don't even know. The only thing I didn't get was the MAX Affinity with all your Dream Eaters trophy, that IS too much, maybe I'll complete that in... some years! But that's not my priority, I started a Critical Level 1 run on DDD and it's a KILLER in the beginning, and, strange as it may sound to most players, I adore it, fantastic challenge and skill training.

I know the others said most of this before, but still I'm here to prove that from one more perspective, the one that belongs to me~

Even with my positive opinion on DDD, you are not alone, there are KH fans that dislike DDD, it's only natural that there are people who like it and people who don't. DDD is a hard game, both by itself and compared to the other KH games. Depending on how you like to play your games, that will make it either an exciting pleasure to play or a difficult rather saddening thing to get over with.

My friends looked at me playing BBS on PSP in class one day and they said what I did seemed very difficult, when, in fact, BBS is so simple. Thinking about it a different way, what would they think of DDD if BBS seemed hard? It really depends on each person, that's what difficulty levels are for after all, so that anyone can at least try

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The only thing that I truly didn't like about KH3D was the Dream Eaters. I hated that I had to play with them and all of that crap to level them up and to get certain abilities. There came a point where I just leveled up Sora and Riku in order to be strong enough to fight without them. Aside from that, I enjoyed 3D a lot. If anything, the worlds could have used a bit more life in them.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Would like to add that having commands unlockable via the dream eaters was a really good idea, abilities you lose when swapping DEs but commands you keep forever and feel more accomplished.

Anagram

Banned
To me, the only thing I like about this game is the story. I absolutely hate the gameplay.

You are not alone my friend! I hated the gameplay and still do. I can't bring myself to play it longer than 30mins after my initial run through of the game.
I hate flowmotion, taking care of the dream eaters, how ability gain isn't permanent, etc. I could go on. I just really really dislike it.

As for story I'm totally indifferent to it. I think the time travel was stupid but on the flip side Rikus development made at least one playthrough tolerable.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
While I don't really HATE the gameplay, I find it extremely boring. The areas are nothing but big just so you can "fly" around, but everything looks kinda boring. The story, in my opinion, takes too long to really focus on anything except the disney world.
The dream eaters are cute but that's it already. The idea of abilities linking to them is okay but it's too easy to farm Link-Points anyways.
I also don't like playing on the 3DS much either....xD
But hey, it has Riku playable and Vanitas is in it for 2 seconds! WORTH! <3

Bridgeman

Kingdom Hearts DDD so far is the only game I couldn't get through. I can't deal with this stupid Pokemon Dream Eaters crap. And when it turns out the game is pretty hard too and I keep dieing, yeah fuck that.

The only bad thing about it is I'm kinda out of the loop on the story, because apparently in the handheld games the most important shit happens. But I have good faith KH3 will have a short recap that goes over the bullet points.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I found the game a return-to-form, personally, with the worlds being huge again, the plot well-paced, and the battles actually challenging.

I'm surprised when people don't like flowmotion. I always found it kind of amazing, to be honest. I never considered myself overpowered with it? (If only.) And it has the benefit of being ignored during boss fights if you don't like it, unlike, say, Reaction Commands. I'm lukewarm towards the Dream Eaters, mostly because of having to re-level every one to get abilities, but I don't hate them like others do. I'd much rather have had Donald, Goofy, and Mickey for partners, but it beats being alone all the time like in Days, Coded, and BbS. I love playing as Riku and Sora with their older designs again, and I thought the ending was very climactic (even if I'm not crazy about the whole time traveling thing...).

My only real gripe with this game was the drops. Irritation. And the commands making sure I had no desire to 100% the game.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
And it has the benefit of being ignored during boss fights if you don't like it, unlike, say, Reaction Commands.
Actually, the vast majority of bosses in KHII do not require the use of Reaction Commands.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Actually, the vast majority of bosses in KHII do not require the use of Reaction Commands.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "require." Or even "boss." You caught my curiousity, so here's a list of the characters I'd consider bosses broken into categories: bosses that Require a reaction command, bosses that will force a reaction command on you in self-defence but do not strictly require you to succeed with it if you're willing to take damage, bosses where reaction commands can be avoided by dodging but should be used for self-defence, bosses where the reaction command is triggered entirely by the player (generally offensive), and bosses that do not have a reaction command at all. Bosses are only listed in the "highest" category, so if a boss like the Dark Thorn has both self-defence and optional reaction commands, it will be listed in self-defence. I also won't be reporting on refights that don't change the reaction commands.

I'd personally consider the first three categories to be "Required" for all intents and purposes. Obviously fights in the first category qualify, while reaction commands that are forced on you are part of the battle whether you want them to be or not, and pretending a player wouldn't use reaction commands in a self-defence situation seems unrealistic. Under that definition, yes, the bosses that don't require reaction commands pull just ahead of those that do, but only barely, at 29 to 26. It's almost down the middle. Even if we only look at the bosses that require or force the reaction command, the total is only adjusted to 36 to 19, not quite double.

I also think it would be disingenuous to say the bosses that have an optional reaction command somehow "don't count," as they assuredly are still there and you would be incredibly foolish not to use them. I feel the same about Flowmotion, so that puts me a step beyond Tartarus on this. But on a strict question of reaction commands being require/forced/not forced/etc, I think we can draw these lines.

Required (Fight cannot be completed without it)

1. Axel (Basement. You must use a reaction command to clear the flame on the floor or Axel cannot be defeated)
  2. Thresholder (must unlock possessor from the doors)
  3. Beast (must use reaction command to calm him down)
  4. Shadow Stalker (must - as far as I remember it - unlock the stalker from the scenery)
  5. Hydra (GET UP ON THE HYDRA'S BACK)
  6. Pete (Timeless River Steamboat) (must damage steamboat with reaction commands)
  7. Oogie Boogie (must damage lift with reaction commands)
  8. Storm Rider (I believe - it may be possible to fight it in small bursts but the fight would be extremely inconvenient)
  9. Hades (story and Hades Cup, must use Hercules' help to remove his invulnerability)
  10. Grim Reaper (at Port Royal, must use reaction command to dump the medals and to knock Grim Reaper off of chest)
  11. Groundshaker (must use reaction commands to climb the Groundshaker - I personally think they could have used jumping instead, but even if we ignore that, this only downgrades things to "Forced")
  12. MCP (all damage is caused with reaction commands)
  13. Xemnas (Memory's Skyscraper, must use Facedown to proceed with battle)
  14. Xemnas (Armoured Controller Phase 2, must deflect building into shield)
  15. Xemnas (Final, must use Reaction Commands during final laser phase, otherwise the reaction commands are simply forced)
  16. Zexion (FM+, must use reaction commands to unlock Zexion from book)
Total: 16

Will Force Reaction Command On You (consequence for missing the reaction command is generally damage)

1. Twilight Thorn
  2. Luxord (Luxord automatically triggers a modified gambling game at the end of the battle, similar to his other reaction commands. You must win this in the Data Battle, but because a QTE is not involved, I've put in this middle spot. He also has self-defence reaction commands).
  3. Sephiroth
Total: 3

Reaction Command Used in Self-Defence (can be avoided with careful dodging and tactics)

1. Dark Thorn
  2. Barbossa (threat of nonstandard game over)
  3. Blizzard Lord and Volcanic Lord (these two could be listed separately for their tournament appearances but I figured that would be unfair)
  4. Scar
  5. Roxas (FM+)
  6. Vexen (FM+)
  7. Lingering Will (FM+ - I believe these are all avoidable. I've never won this fight.)
Total: 7

Optional - Triggered by the Player (typically offensive)

1. Shan-Yu
  2. Pete (Underworld with Hercules)
  3. Pete (Timeless River final battle)
  4. Prison Keeper
  5. Hyenas (Den)
  6. Hostile Program
  7. Demyx (water forms)
  8. Xaldin
  9. Jafar
  10. The Experiment
  11. Xigbar
  12. Saix