• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How would you split the different age/era of the saga?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
You know Disney has the golden, silver and bronze age, etc.
How about we try to do the same with Kingdom Hearts? The saga is quite old now and has had upside and downs. How would you split the different ages and why?

Personally, I would say that there are three ages in the saga:

- The golden age: 2002-2006
That's when the series started and got its first fanbase. At the time, it was a bold move. Crossovers were not common and the story was deep and not so convoluted. After the release of KH2, the future couldn't look brighter.

- The silver age: 2007-2012
That's where the series became convoluted and got its bad reputation of being messy. Titles releasing on new platforms everytime, not a clear direction as to where the story was going and no KH3 announced. That's where the series started to loose fans. But the titles were not bad and we got one per year, so that was okay.

- The redemption age: 2013-2022:
The wait for KH3. I call it redemption as this is where the devs started to act to bring back old and new fans by releasing the compilations. And this was a great move as nowadays nearly everyone who plays the series do it via the compilations. The devs also released them on multiple platforms allowing its fanbase to expand. It was also when we got the Final Mix versions for the first time overseas. Unfortunately, the development of KH3 was slow and as we were used to one title per year, we got KH3 7 years after its last installment.

- The renaissance age?: 2023-???
The future looks bright in my opinion. I think with the release of KH4 and its potential more mature setup as well as potential other projects, we might get to see a lot of new fans who previously were not interested in the series join the cult. For the first time in a while, I feel that Nomura has a plan on 3-4 titles to tell his story. There has never be a better time to become a KH fan and I think we might get some new games announced in the coming year.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Interesting idea to think of it in terms.

For me, it would be
KH1-CoM-KH2 - Destiny Trio Age, since these games seemed more focused on SRK than later games. But 3D and 3 also have the same feeling: Sora-Riku for 3D and Sora-Kairi for 3 as the big focus, although 3 seems more fragmented because of the 13 v. 7 battle and all those characters being brought back.
Days-BbS-Coded-3D - Side Games Age ~ Sort of fleshing out the story would be a nice way to put it, between telling more of what happened in the past in BbS, between characters we didn't know the full details of in Days, exploring Unversed / Dream Eaters as new enemy concepts, dream worlds and digital worlds, etc.
0.2-3-MoM -- Revival or Unreal Engine Age (or whatever it's called, for the shift in graphic style/upgrade). Also, I feel like there was a lot of influx of new energy into the franchise with these (particularly 3) that hadn't been there since 2 was released.

Last edited:

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I wouldn’t change it any other way. The Dark Seeker Saga stays as is and so does the Lost Masters Arc.

I always believed that one “volume” of a story is divided by its conflict, the climax, and its antagonists. It has always been that way, in western comic books, a novel serie, and even manga/anime. The moment a new conflict arises that’s independent (i.e. not a subplot) and doesn’t occur concurrently of the previous one, it can be considered a separate arc/saga/volume/what-have-you.

If you’re talking about its development, however…

internal (whatever they called their engine back then) and external (Unreal and Unity).

AegisXIII

Awards
I wouldn’t change it any other way. The Dark Seeker Saga stays as is and so does the Lost Masters Arc.

I always believed that one “volume” of a story is divided by its conflict, the climax, and its antagonists. It has always been that way, in western comic books, a novel serie, and even manga/anime. The moment a new conflict arises that’s independent (i.e. not a subplot) and doesn’t occur concurrently of the previous one, it can be considered a separate arc/saga/volume/what-have-you.

If you’re talking about its development, however…

internal (whatever they called their engine back then) and external (Unreal and Unity).
Indeed that's a good way to split it.
My thought while splitting was mostly the era of fanbases, which in a sense define how the game is perceived.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
2002-2006 is Beginning of Dark Seeker
2007-2012 is Intermediate of Dark Seeker
2013-2019 is End of Dark Seeker
2020 onward is Beginning of Lost Masters

D

Deleted member 246005

Kh1-com-2- not sure
Coded-Days-BBS-DDD-3- xehanort saga
Back cover- unchained-union x-missing link- age of the keyblade war
4-????-current saga(the foreteller saga)

Back