• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Would Re:coded be better with more worlds?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Would it be better?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Soldier

Awards
Hello,

So while I am replaying Re:coded to get everything in it (platinum without the platinum, as it were) I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the devs decided to limit the amount of worlds so drastically, even though there were a lot of options they could have feasibly chosen. I get WHY the 3 Disney worlds were taken, as they're usual suspects for returning worlds as Disney barely cares about the property (Olympus) or has free reign due to being public domain (Agrabah and Wonderland). But they couldn't have added a few more of the worlds from KH 1? I get that Halloween Town would've been a nightmare, but the remake would have more space to work with as opposed to an old japanese flip phone and the assets are already there from Days (which most of the assets originated to begin with in the first place). I'm not saying they should incorporate EVERY KH world, just ones like Monstro and Neverland that have some relevance to the overarching plot as they were in KH 1. What do you think?

Soldier

Awards
If re:Coded had to be yet another KH1 retread, then they could have at least committed to it by including all of their worlds.
I wonder what kind of crazy stuff would happen in Atlantica, maybe the fish would swim upside down or something.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I could sort of understand the decision to have only a few worlds, because they wanted to re-enact both KH1 and CoM. I think more levels would've been more of a chore, tbh.

okhi12

Awards
The most plausible reason for the lack of worlds was that it was originally a mobile game, as you implied.

I get they needed to reuse the worlds in KH1 because the game takes place in the journal's data, but they could have put a new world in there made with the journal's core or something like that. Castle Oblivion kinda serves that purpose, but a totally new world would have made that game much more distinct than it is. The system sector areas don't count.

As for the Disney worlds, they already had the assets for Halloween Town and part of Neverland (the deck of Hook's ship) from Days. Monstro could have been ''downgraded'' to NDS graphics and used as well, it is not a big world, just confusing to navigate through. I know Atlantica would make little sense without Sora becoming a merman (playing as human Sora there felt out of place in Chain of Memories) and Deep Jungle isn't available anymore because of copyright, but they could have added a couple more worlds.

Anyway, it already takes a decent amount of time to beat the game, and much more to achieve everything. For me it's okay as it is. Re:Coded wasn't very original in its locations, but at least it tried to do different things with the gameplay like the FF battle system in Olympus Colisseum or the side scrolling phases in Traverse Town. For a so called filler game, it was very fun to play. Days was more relevant in terms of story but the gameplay could be much better.

Soldier

Awards
The most plausible reason for the lack of worlds was that it was originally a mobile game, as you implied.

I get they needed to reuse the worlds in KH1 because the game takes place in the journal's data, but they could have put a new world in there made with the journal's core or something like that. Castle Oblivion kinda serves that purpose, but a totally new world would have made that game much more distinct than it is. The system sector areas don't count.

As for the Disney worlds, they already had the assets for Halloween Town and part of Neverland (the deck of Hook's ship) from Days. Monstro could have been ''downgraded'' to NDS graphics and used as well, it is not a big world, just confusing to navigate through. I know Atlantica would make little sense without Sora becoming a merman (playing as human Sora there felt out of place in Chain of Memories) and Deep Jungle isn't available anymore because of copyright, but they could have added a couple more worlds.

Anyway, it already takes a decent amount of time to beat the game, and much more to achieve everything. For me it's okay as it is. Re:Coded wasn't very original in its locations, but at least it tried to do different things with the gameplay like the FF battle system in Olympus Colisseum or the side scrolling phases in Traverse Town. For a so called filler game, it was very fun to play. Days was more relevant in terms of story but the gameplay could be much better.
I guess looking back they might've cut halloween town because of the whole "form change" that would have to occur. Even though the world would be just replicating Halloween town, it still might be a bit jarring for Sora to be walking around in his classic attire when everything else is dark and drab. For all of COM's faults, they at least altered Riku's outfit when he visited his version of Halloween town, evidenced by the torn clothing and rusty soul eater. But yeah, Monstro and Neverland could've been added, very little excuses there.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
It is a bit odd to be the only game in the series where the (playable) original worlds outnumber the Disney worlds (with only 3). Would've been nice to see what other gameplay styles additional worlds would've introduced.

Soldier

Awards
It is a bit odd to be the only game in the series where the (playable) original worlds outnumber the Disney worlds (with only 3). Would've been nice to see what other gameplay styles additional worlds would've introduced.
Maybe Monstro could've functioned as an FPS in a similar vein to Chicken Little's summon limit?

okhi12

Awards
Maybe Monstro could've functioned as an FPS in a similar vein to Chicken Little's summon limit?
I'm not sure that would've been a good idea because the NDS didn't have a stick and the D-pad isn't the best for accuracy, but it sounds interesting. Maybe they could've used the touch screen for that, like the minigames with the Dream Eaters in Dream Drop Distance.

AR829038

Awards
Yeah, I always found it strange that they cut out so many worlds. It felt pretty half-assed to be honest. Like, I would have cut down the worlds they did have by like 2/3, and then added in all the other worlds (minus Deep Jungle of course) to at least make it make sense as a retread of the first journey. I mean, either do it or don't. But the fact that they just skip more than half the worlds from the first game and yet bother to keep in Agrabah, Olympus, Wonderland, Traverse Town, and Destiny Islands just sort of makes me wish they had nixed the whole premise and used the space for brand new original worlds instead. It just feels weird that they get the special treatment when Atlantics, Halloween Town, Neverland, Monstro, Hundred Acre Wood, and End of the World all get left in the dust (End of the World gets literally no love from the KH1 retread games, and it pisses me off).

Soldier

Awards
Yeah, I always found it strange that they cut out so many worlds. It felt pretty half-assed to be honest. Like, I would have cut down the worlds they did have by like 2/3, and then added in all the other worlds (minus Deep Jungle of course) to at least make it make sense as a retread of the first journey. I mean, either do it or don't. But the fact that they just skip more than half the worlds from the first game and yet bother to keep in Agrabah, Olympus, Wonderland, Traverse Town, and Destiny Islands just sort of makes me wish they had nixed the whole premise and used the space for brand new original worlds instead. It just feels weird that they get the special treatment when Atlantics, Halloween Town, Neverland, Monstro, Hundred Acre Wood, and End of the World all get left in the dust (End of the World gets literally no love from the KH1 retread games, and it pisses me off).
To be fair, it's not easy to write a story for a world that (in essence) is one giant heartless byproduct. Aside from Chernabog and the end game fights there's not many characters there, if at all. For what it's worth, Kingdom Hearts Talisman acknowledges and includes the end of the world.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I'm not sure that would've been a good idea because the NDS didn't have a stick and the D-pad isn't the best for accuracy, but it sounds interesting. Maybe they could've used the touch screen for that, like the minigames with the Dream Eaters in Dream Drop Distance.
There have been several FPS games on NDS, a D-Pad isn't any worse than WASD & the touch screen is there for the aiming.

okhi12

Awards
There have been several FPS games on NDS, a D-Pad isn't any worse than WASD & the touch screen is there for the aiming.
When I wrote that I was thinking about using the D-pad for aiming, something I'm terrible at. Many people would be fine with it, but I'd hate it. Probably in that hypothetical shooter version of Monstro Soldier mentioned the D-pad would have been used to move Sora and the touch screen for aiming, which would have been way easier for me.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
When I wrote that I was thinking about using the D-pad for aiming, something I'm terrible at. Many people would be fine with it, but I'd hate it. Probably in that hypothetical shooter version of Monstro Soldier mentioned the D-pad would have been used to move Sora and the touch screen for aiming, which would have been way easier for me.
Thing is it doesn't even matter because this was a pre-smartphone mobile game originally & the gameplay would have to accommodate the Docomo.

I doubt S-E would bother with FPS aiming on that numpad. Probably would make it control more like classic Doom if anything.

Soldier

Awards
Actually, looking at the roster of Heartless that appeared in Days, I think they'd definitely be scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of what would appear in Halloween Town. Most of the enemies that appear in that game are variants of KH 2 enemies that Sora and Co. wouldn't have encountered until their second journey (and since it's only the first journal in the game, that really limits what would appear). Most of the pureblood heartless like Shadows Darkballs and invisibles are fair game, but the DS doesn't have Wight Nights, Gargoyles and Search ghosts, really limiting what could appear.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Meh. I think having a shorter KH experience works for some games. I don't think it needed to be longer than it was, with excessive Disney padding, given that the plot didn't have too many new details to share. I enjoy CoM, but it does feel sluggish at times, particularly during Reverse/Rebirth. Perhaps they could have swapped some out some of the worlds for less repeated properties (i.e. Monstro, instead of something else, especially since assets were made and cut from Days).

Mostly just wanted to say Happy 11th bday, re:coded! But I was too lazy to make a new thread for it. Glad the game has at least one topic in its sub-forum. It's a fun, little jaunt, and, similar to KHIII, its gameplay is the aspect that shines brightest for me. The customization was next level for the series. I still haven't got around 2.5's cinematics though. 😅

Back