• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The original Kingdom Hearts trailer and the ending of KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Ok, so this might be a bit of a long shot, but I think it would be interesting to discuss.

I watched the original PS2 trailer for Kingdom Hearts, which I presumed to be the announcement trailer for the game. It was a nice bit of nostalgia, and shows a few things cut from the original game such as a fully playable Disney Castle and such. Standard stuff really.

But then I noticed something... The wording at the end...

"That's right, Sora. Your body, your soul, your whole existence... they're all going to disappear!"

"Come on, guys! We've got to save Sora!"

"Please, Sora... Don't go."

maybe it's just my late night mind going to dark places, but that first sentence sounds an awful lot like the warning Young Xehanort gave to Sora at the end of KH3. And with the talk of him just straight up disappearing and such, those phrases have much... darker connotations now.

The closest I can think of (in the context of Nomura not planning that far ahead) is Sora sacrificing himself at the end of KH1, but nobody told him that he would so... who would the first quote have been associated with?

AegisXIII

Awards
Yes, this was some ideas that were put on the shelf for a later entry. It's like the drop we see often that became the power of waking in a sense.

Somnus cealum

Awards
Ok, so this might be a bit of a long shot, but I think it would be interesting to discuss.

I watched the original PS2 trailer for Kingdom Hearts, which I presumed to be the announcement trailer for the game. It was a nice bit of nostalgia, and shows a few things cut from the original game such as a fully playable Disney Castle and such. Standard stuff really.

But then I noticed something... The wording at the end...

"That's right, Sora. Your body, your soul, your whole existence... they're all going to disappear!"

"Come on, guys! We've got to save Sora!"

"Please, Sora... Don't go."

maybe it's just my late night mind going to dark places, but that first sentence sounds an awful lot like the warning Young Xehanort gave to Sora at the end of KH3. And with the talk of him just straight up disappearing and such, those phrases have much... darker connotations now.

The closest I can think of (in the context of Nomura not planning that far ahead) is Sora sacrificing himself at the end of KH1, but nobody told him that he would so... who would the first quote have been associated with?
i was wondering what was that about. cool

okhi12

Awards
What a coincidence, I watched that trailer a few days ago for the first time in years!
I thought the same, Nomura must have had the idea of Sora disappearing for almost two decades until he finally decided to make it happen. No wonder he also reused the 'weirds thoughts lately' line and the World Terminus machine as the Ark. He's rescuing a lot of forgotten concepts and ideas from KH1 and giving them more meaning.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
It's all coming together. I've never seen this trailer actually, but the wording on this is spot on. Kingdom Hearts has a habit of going back and making the smallest of things hint at something bigger towards the future. It's quite impressive.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I kind of feel like the trailer's lines weren't so much about Sora dying at the end, rather a reworked version of the Sora suicide scene. I can imagine either Riku/Ansem in a position of power, telling Sora (expecting him not to) that the only way to save Kairi is to stab himself with the keyblade, then explaining what will happen (everything will disappear). If that was the case, I'm glad they changed it because it was better that Sora made the choice to kill himself for Kairi without any knowledge of what will happen to himself #SoKai4Life

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Considering that part of the original ending of kh1 was recycled into the ending of Remind ("I've been having these weird thoughts lately") it may or may not he a coincidence.

AegisXIII

Awards
Considering that part of the original ending of kh1 was recycled into the ending of Remind ("I've been having these weird thoughts lately") it may or may not he a coincidence.
No that one was the first line of KH1. It was to show a big shift, the end of an arc and a parallel with Yozora's journey which is about to begin.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The KH1 Ultimania said they considered making Kairi playable at some point. The idea may have been for her to search for a way to save Sora after his sacrifice.

Weirdly, this gives me flashback to reading about a cut feature from Banjo-Kazooie. Rareware wanted the game to end with Banjo getting turned into a frog & players then controlled his sister as she searched for a cure. But that wasn't to be either.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
No that one was the first line of KH1. It was to show a big shift, the end of an arc and a parallel with Yozora's journey which is about to begin.
Originally sora would have repeated those words in the ending of kh1. He does repeat them in secret episode of Remind.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I mean this is common for writers. You have a bunch of ideas that get recycled for later.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I've been thinking of this trailer ever since KH3 came out and Sora disappeared. I wonder, if he's recycling old ideas or if this is something new and he has just been thinking along these lines for a while.

D

Deleted member 252753

This reminds me of what Nomura said about the 'weird thoughts' line in his questions of darkness interview for Re Mind. I find it really intriguing.

'It was a piece of dialogue that I wanted to revisit and address if the opportunity to do so ever came around. It probably doesn’t make any sense, but at the time, the world of KINGDOM HEARTS was approved as a result of including that line. The mystery doesn’t fully unravel with this, but I feel it brings us to the gateway.'

I hope that one day Nomura explains how the plot developed over the years and when major plot points were decided etc.

Noivern

Awards
Kingdom Hearts as a whole has a bunch of really cool ideas that should be revisited later. I always pictured a Zootopia world using the prototype-design for Lion Sora back from KH1.

Out of all the dropped concepts, I personally really hope they reutilize the ones from Xemnas' fight in KH2, the ones where he fuses with the entire The World That Never Was. Those are so cool and I can see something like that happening on "Shibuya".

Back