• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura discusses KH3 ReMind, Dark Road, future developments in final issue of Dengeki Playstation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Back in February, Dengeki announced that they would be ending regular publication of Dengeki Playstation with volume 686. This final volume features an interview with Final Fantasy VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura where he discusses the development of FFVII Remake, but he also took the time to answer a few brief questions about Kingdom Hearts III ReMind, Kingdom Hearts Dark Road, and the two unnanounced Kingdom Hearts titles that are in development.

Thanks to Dandelion, we have a translation of the section discussing Kingdom Hearts:

-Let’s talk about the Kingdom Hearts series. In January Kingdom Hearts III’s DLC chapter was released, but the focal point was the additional scenario in “Re: Mind” which expanded on and supplemented the events of the final battle.

Nomura: There was a lot of feedback from people who played KHIII. We created scenes to make some of those events easier to understand, as well as Sora’s journey post-game that gave a perspective you wouldn’t have otherwise had.

-13 bosses appeared in the Limit Cut episode. It seems perfect for those who want to sink their teeth into challenging battles.

Nomura: Creating the new scenes was easy enough, but the most time-consuming aspect of production on the Re:Mind DLC was building the new battles, like the Limit Cut bosses. Each of the 13 data battles is a totally different fight from their main game counterpart, so be sure to give it a try!

-In the Secret Episode, the mysterious Yozora appeared. Initially, I thought Yozora was just a surprise reference that appeared as a cameo in the Toy Box world, but apparently it seems like he’s a much more important character that’ll be tied to the future of KH.

Nomura: You wouldn’t be the first to think so, right now there’s a lot of speculation about that because of the clear resemblance to what was shown of “VERSUS.” However, the two are actually very different and I think where Yozora’s story will lead will be unexpected. So, why did “VERUM REX” appear in KHIII? None of this makes sense, but I hope to clear it all up as soon as possible.

-Along with the release of Re Mind, “Dark Road” was announced…

Nomura: KH Dark Road is a new service developed by the KH Union Cross (X) team in a double-feature operation. KHUX itself will continue, but Dark Road will shed light on Xehanort’s past, so please pay attention to both. We talked about this in the 7 Lights and 13 Darknesses Q&A but aside from the fact that Dark Road is a new project by the KHUX team, there are 2 other projects being worked on by other teams and one of them will be coming pretty soon, so please wait just a little a longer. 

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts 3 and all things Kingdom Hearts!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Nice to hear Nomura acknowledging the similarities between Versus and Verum Rex.

He tried being silly about it saying "it isn't Versus" but like...there was no denying it after you battle Yozora lol

Eagerly I await to see what this is all about lol

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
But when is Dark Road coming out, Nomura

And how soon is "pretty soon" on the next thing?
I'm very impatient

Ryuman

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Dark Road will probably release within the next couple months, and I imagine the next title might be revealed in Square's E3 replacement event if it's supposedly coming so soon.

Nice to see Nomura use the Versus name himself again.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Nomura: KH Dark Road is a new service developed by the KH Union Cross (X) team in a double-feature operation.
So this what he meant by "double feature" some months ago.

We talked about this in the 7 Lights and 13 Darknesses Q&A but aside from the fact that Dark Road is a new project by the KHUX team, there are 2 other projects being worked on by other teams and one of them will be coming pretty soon, so please wait just a little a longer.

I thought KH Dark Road was thew new KH project that would be coming pretty soon, but seems like Nomura meant another one.
"Pretty soon" coming from him or square is subjective though. We may wait some years.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I thought KH Dark Road was thew new KH project that would be coming pretty soon, but seems like Nomura meant another one.
"Pretty soon" coming from him or square is subjective though. We may wait some years.

No, they had made it very clear multiple times that Dark Road was not the upcoming project coming soon. It was one of the first things Nomura said when Project Xehanort was first revealed prior to the name reveal.

legacier

Awards
I was shocked he actually said "Versus." Before I figured he somehow wasn't allowed to say it even if it was obvious what he meant... guess I was wrong.

But I still don't expect it to be "the same thing" to the degree some others seem to think. Or I hope not, at least. Versus was meant to be a totally different game, so trying to force it into Kingdom Hearts without majorly changing it would be putting a square peg into a round hole.

But anyway, I think I misunderstood what he said before in the Q&A, because I was under the impression that Dark Road was one of the new projects and separate from whatever the KHUX team was working on. Glad to find I had it wrong!

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm hoping that the upcoming projects are KH3D.5 (PS4) and KH IV (PS5)

Worth mentioning that the two other teams Nomura is referring to does not include Osaka team, therefore it's likely not going to be a numbered title.

I was shocked he actually said "Versus." Before I figured he somehow wasn't allowed to say it even if it was obvious what he meant... guess I was wrong.

No, you were right. There was an internal ban on saying that name, but it lifted by October 2019.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Worth mentioning that the two other teams Nomura is referring to does not include Osaka team, therefore it's likely not going to be a numbered title.
So we're going to get the "double feature" KHUX/Dark Road and two more phone game... ugh.

D

Deleted member 252753

Does anyone have an idea of when "pretty soon" might be?

NoWay

Awards
When do you think we’ll be getting the new game? Holiday season 2021?

Back