• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ansem the Wise KHIII Question

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I was rewatching the Ansem and Ansem SOD cutscene in the realm of darkness and I was just wondering a couple things. So he got trapped in the ROD since KH2 right? And Ansem SOD just teleports in and brings him out. Why didn't Ansem just do that himself, since he can open Corridors of Darkness too? And why does he have a black coat now instead of his DiZ attire? I always liked his DiZ look as it made him look really unique in the series. Why just put him in the coat that everyone wears? Sorry if this question has been asked and answered already. I'm kinda floored at how easy Ansem got out compared to like Aqua.Was there a cutscene in DDD that explains Ansem can't use CoD anymore?

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
The game makes a distinction between a Denizen of Light and a Denizen or Darkness. Denizens of light aren't supposed to be able to open portals. Beings like Maleficent and Heartless can. This went out the window with KHx, but they're also special cases because they're Keyblade Wielders.

It's the same reason Riku couldn't leave Kingdom Hearts at the end of the first game, because he was a Denizen of Light but trapped within the darkness. He traveled deeper in the darkness and made it to the world in between.

Aqua didn't have her accoutrements to escape the darkness.

Ansem is a Denizen of Light, but he never had powers outside of his datascape, so he couldn't escape. and the coat was to protect him from the darkness.

The way Nobodies were originally portrayed, they were supposed to be fledgling things (abominations) with the capacity to think. Then they became immortal sociopaths - particularly, the Organization. Now they're emotionally-impaired. immortal sociopaths, except when they aren't sociopaths.

okhi12

Awards
I guess Ansem the Wise lost that power when the kingdom hearts encoding device exploded and he was banished to the realm of darkness once more. Riku probably lost it at the same time, when he recovered his true appearance, because after the fight with Xemnas he discovered he wasn't able to open dark corridors anymore.
Now that you mention it, you're right, Ansem the Wise was in his DiZ attire when he disappeared but had a black coat in the realm of darkness when he met Aqua. Where did he find it? Did he have wardrobe outfit customization like Aqua? Lol.

That reminds me that the only good guy who is confirmed (in Dream Drop Distance) to retain the dark corridor power is Lea, even after he returned as a complete human, but it is not explained at all. According to Ienzo the other former Organization members from Radiant Garden have not any means of leaving that world, meaning they lost that power. I wonder if Roxas, Xion and Naminé will still be able to use them.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I guess Ansem the Wise lost that power when the kingdom hearts encoding device exploded and he was banished to the realm of darkness once more. Riku probably lost it at the same time, when he recovered his true appearance, because after the fight with Xemnas he discovered he wasn't able to open dark corridors anymore.
Now that you mention it, you're right, Ansem the Wise was in his DiZ attire when he disappeared but had a black coat in the realm of darkness when he met Aqua. Where did he find it? Did he have wardrobe outfit customization like Aqua? Lol.

That reminds me that the only good guy who is confirmed (in Dream Drop Distance) to retain the dark corridor power is Lea, even after he returned as a complete human, but it is not explained at all. According to Ienzo the other former Organization members from Radiant Garden have not any means of leaving that world, meaning they lost that power. I wonder if Roxas, Xion and Naminé will still be able to use them.

I forgot about that explosion. It's possible that is what sapped him of his CoD powers. Still it's never explained. Unless he's in self-exile. And I am very curious who can still use CoD's. Don't know about Roxas and Namine, but Xion still should. Her body was a Seeker of Darkness, and we don't know if anything was purged from her body. Namine is using Dark Riku's body, but the scientist likely purged any linger darkness from the vessel before moving her, unlike Xion. And Roxas looks all light based from the looks of his moves.

Ansem is a Denizen of Light, but he never had powers outside of his datascape, so he couldn't escape. and the coat was to protect him from the darkness.

Ansem could use the CoD in Days. He uses it twice to teleport around. Even to TWTNW.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
Ansem could use the CoD in Days. He uses it twice to teleport around. Even to TWTNW.

See, that makes little sense. The game established rules and then broke them because the plot deemed it necessary.
I don't remember much of Days. Played it once.

But did we actually see how he got to TWTNW? IIRC, he was just there. Maybe the outfit gave him the ability? Did he use a CoD after the explosion?

SweetYetSalty

Awards
See, that makes little sense. The game established rules and then broke them because the plot deemed it necessary.
I don't remember much of Days. Played it once.

But did we actually see how he got to TWTNW? IIRC, he was just there. Maybe the outfit gave him the ability? Did he use a CoD after the explosion?

He used the Corridors of Darkness portal. The exact same one the Organization uses same sound effects too. We see it open and he steps out and everything. Which is why I was confused on why he couldn't use it to escape RoD.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
He probably chose not to use the dark power because of the implications and effects it has on the heart. Perhaps when he “sacrificed” himself in 2, he renounced the darkness and the ability to use it.
Mickey scolds Lea for using a dark corridor in 3D which implies that people can summon them at a cost. Also in 2’s ending, Mickey states that Riku doesn’t belong to the dark anymore and that’s why he couldn’t summon one.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it stated in Ansem The Wise's Secret Reports (in KH2) that he did in fact "use the darkness to escape", i.e. he used a Dark Corridor? It was also said in the reports that he used the darkness to alter his appearance, which is how he was able to masquerade as Ansem SoD during Reverse Rebirth, and alter his skin tone to be more of a dark shade before removing it (on screen) at the end of KH2.

The only reason Ansem The Wise could do all of this is because he essentially used the hatred burning within him to harness the darkness, and free himself in order to seek revenge. If I had to guess why he didn't do it again later, it's likely because he reconciled at the end of KH2, and then lost his memory again on top of that.

And I am very curious who can still use CoD's. Don't know about Roxas and Namine, but Xion still should. Her body was a Seeker of Darkness, and we don't know if anything was purged from her body. Namine is using Dark Riku's body, but the scientist likely purged any linger darkness from the vessel before moving her, unlike Xion. And Roxas looks all light based from the looks of his moves.

Honestly, there's no reason to think they can't still use them anymore. Afterall, Lea used the Dark Corridors multiple times in Dream Drop Distance, and admitted at the end that "dark rescue" was his middle name. Indicating he's just as proficient at it as before despite being human.
Namine was the Nobody of Kairi, a Princess of Heart, but that didn't stop her from using Dark Corridors left and right during KH2. Roxas was proficient at using light since the beginning (it's bassically his element), but that's never stopped him from using Dark Corridors. At one point, he even used one after assimilating with Sora. Also, if we're going by KH3, Xion's moveset was actually comprised of light based attacks, while Roxas seemingly used both (based on his projectiles), so I'm not sure that's a reliable indicator. Especially with how limited their move-sets are in general during that game.

In the end, based on what we actually know, they should all pretty much be in the same boat.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it stated in Ansem The Wise's Secret Reports (in KH2) that he did in fact "use the darkness to escape", i.e. he used a Dark Corridor? It was also said in the reports that he used the darkness to alter his appearance, which is how he was able to masquerade as Ansem SoD during Reverse Rebirth, and alter his skin tone to be more of a dark shade before removing it (on screen) at the end of KH2.

The only reason Ansem The Wise could do all of this is because he essentially used the hatred burning within him to harness the darkness, and free himself in order to seek revenge. If I had to guess why he didn't do it again later, it's likely because he reconciled at the end of KH2, and then lost his memory again on top of that.

Honestly, there's no reason to think they can't still use them anymore. Afterall, Lea used the Dark Corridors multiple times in Dream Drop Distance, and admitted at the end that "dark rescue" was his middle name. Indicating he's just as proficient at it as before despite being human.
Namine was the Nobody of Kairi, a Princess of Heart, but that didn't stop her from using Dark Corridors left and right during KH2. Roxas was proficient at using light since the beginning (it's bassically his element), but that's never stopped him from using Dark Corridors. At one point, he even used one after assimilating with Sora. Also, if we're going by KH3, Xion's moveset was actually comprised of light based attacks, while Roxas seemingly used both (based on his projectiles), so I'm not sure that's a reliable indicator. Especially with how limited their move-sets are in general during that game.

In the end, based on what we actually know, they should all pretty much be in the same boat.

I was merely commenting on how they have new vessels that are suppose to function as regular humans right? Isn't that how Vexen's new replicas work now? How that is, I have no idea. Replica info is never shown to the viewer. I'm cool with them still using CoD's and hope that's the case. They don't have Gummiships or flying armor so they need something to get around too. It's just that with how Riku lost CoD I was worried it might have affected Roxas too, with him no longer belonging to darkness and all.

AR829038

Awards
I think I can give some answers as to how Naminé and Lea are continually able to use the DCs.
But first, DiZ.
We must remember that after his apprentices betrayed him and banished him to the Realm of Darkness, Ansem the Wise grew so hateful and vengeful that he essentially became, for all intents and purposes, a denizen of the darkness, just like Maleficent. You can even see during KH2/CoM/Days that his eyes are colored yellow, a trademark sign of a darkened heart.
Because of this, Ansem gained the abilities to use the Corridors of Darkness and change his form and all that other fun stuff. When his Kingdom Hearts encoder device exploded, it likely did the same thing it did to Riku and basically washed all of the darkness in his heart clean. This resulted in the loss of his dark powers, and also (at least temporarily) of his memories. As to where he got the black coat from, go figure. Ansem did say "anything could happen" when the device exploded; maybe KH just decided to give him some new digs.
Anyway, onto Lea and Naminé.
Something we have to remember about the both of them. Both of them were Nobodies for a period of time. And Nobodies, being creatures born in the region teetering on both light and darkness, could be considered as denizens of both. Therefore, they could have access to the abilities routinely used by both. Roxas, for instance, was able to use the Keyblade, up till now a weapon used exclusively by denizens of the Realm of Light. But each Organization member also had access to the powers of darkness, such as being able to produce Corridors. Same goes with Naminé—even though she was created from a heart of pure light, she still is, by virtue of her being a Nobody, a person who straddles the boundary between being a creature of light and darkness, allowing her access to abilities from both realms.
Now, as to the question of why Lea is able to use certain dark abilities, like opening Corridors, even after his recompletion, is a trickier problem. Lea is obviously not a dark-hearted individual, and since his eyes aren't yellow, we have definitive proof that he lacks the requisite attributes as a human being to possess dark powers.
But...
Then again, so did Riku.
Riku never gained yellow eyes except when he was masquerading as Ansem SoD during KH2. And yet he still had access to the powers of darkness. Why? Well, because he gave himself up to the darkness once before. Apparently, the mere remnant of the darkness to which he allowed himself to be exposed still gave him access to the powers of darkness even though he never completely fell to it.
Ergo, what I surmise is this: I believe that since Lea subsumed his Nobody Axel into his recompleted being, he also inherited Axel's dark abilities that he possessed by virtue of his transformation into a Nobody.
But, then, if that's the case, then why have the other ex-Nobodies never used this ability following THEIR recompletion?
Well, let's consider each case:
1. Kairi—It's true she absorbed Naminé at the end of KH2, and since Naminé could use the CoD, we might assume Kairi could then inherit this ability. But we must remember that she is still a Princess of Heart—probably incapable of utilizing dark powers regardless of her Nobody's influence, since she has a heart of pure light.
2. Sora—While it's also true that Sora absorbed Roxas, a Nobody who could also use the dark corridors, it must also be remembered that, like Naminé, Sora and Roxas are not exactly a one-to-one match like the other Somebody-Nobody pairings are. Roxas, after all, as we all know, is a mixture of both Sora and Ventus, and Sora became recompleted even while Roxas was still alive. This means that, from the point that both regained their being, they each branched off into being truly different people. Axel and most of the other Organization members, however, have always been mere extensions of their Somebodies—retaining their memories, their physical attributes, their personalities—there really is very little to distinguish their Nobodies from their original selves, and so perhaps that allows for the abilities gained in their Nobody forms to carry over more easily into recompletion. Roxas, however, would not so easily be able to transfer such abilities back to Sora, because the two of them are more distinct from each other than the others are from their original persons. That's not super-strong reasoning, but it is something. Following this logic, we may conclude that Sora is simply unable to use the CoD because Roxas was sufficiently unique as a person so as for there to not be a strong enough coherence between him and Sora for his abilities to carry over.
3. The ex-Organization members—Regarding Ienzo, Dilan, and Aeleus, we can follow the previous trains of reasoning and assume that they actually DO have the abilitiy to use the Corridors of Darkness, but simply choose not to. We must recognize that Ienzo, Dilan, and Aeleus appear to be VERY different people than their Nobody counterparts, and none of them seem particularly keen on meddling with dark powers anytime in the future. Ienzo is particularly regretful of his actions, and probably wants so little to do with the darkness at this point that he would sacrifice the convenience of its powers. Even, of course, willingly became a Nobody once more to plant himself in the new Organization, so we saw him regain those dark powers; I'm not certain of any evidence that would suggest that Even, while he was a recompleted person, was unable to use the Dark Corridors before becoming a Nobody again. I don't think there was much time between his recompletion and his re-separation to really know for sure.
So, those are my theories. I know I must have written a book on it by now. If anybody can think of anything I've missed, please feel free to reply.

Back