• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

New game post kh3.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Next KH installment

• BBS VOL 2 (terra ven aqua)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Twilight trio spinoff (with isa)

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • The sora/riku show

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Kairi spinoff

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nyx Winters

The Dawn Fox
Awards
What kind of kingdom hearts game do you want for the next installment in the series?

A side game following master aqua ven and terra post kh3 in a BBS 2 style game as we see how things have changed for them?

A game focusing in on axel and saix as lea and isa as one scenario and roxas and xion in the other scenario setting up the new saga

a sora/riku game in the style of DDD in a buddy adventure (kind of a good chance with that secret ending)

Or maybe kairi takes the reigns and forges her own path in a spinoff as she protects the hearts of her fellow princesses from a new threat

OR SOMETHING ENTIRELY NEW

SPEAK Up share your opinion guys

Last edited:

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I've pretty much given up hope for Kairi at this point, and the last thing I need after KH3 is more Sora, so it's gotta be one of the first two.

Not sure to be honest... Regardless of what, I'm not really all that excited after the writing flop that was KH3, so it's difficult for me to say that I would legitimately be happy with any of these choices no matter which gets made. Like, I WANT to say BBS volume two, but how do I know characters like Aqua won't just be needlessly disrespected and humiliated at every turn again? And with the Days trio, as much as I really would love to see them get a new game, I can't imagine being dragged into this whole Forteller Saga will really help improve their characters either. Then there's the fear that their group dynamic won't be consistent with what we've seen in Days, and the writers will once again shallowly lean into the character's popularity in order to trick audiences into feeling excited, rather than actual, quality character writing.

Idk. I guess all I'm trying to say is, making this decision would be a lot easier if I had some legitimate faith in the writers at this point. In a perfect world though, I'd probably go with a game starring the Days trio. The story format would probably be an evolution of BBS' structure though.

Nyx Winters

The Dawn Fox
Awards
Another idea is a combo of nearly all side chars in a bbsesque style my ideal scenarios would be

Axel/lea/kairi- lea isa and kairi set off to finally uncover the truth about the mysterious girl that set them on their paths and discover the origins of kairi

Roxas/namine/xion - roxas embarks on a set of tests to prove he is ready for the masters exam joined by new keyblade weilder and powerful magic user namine and old friend xion as they travel through worlds and discover xigbar is not so dead.

Aqua/ven/terra - a sudden disaster strikes the trios home rewriting it back to castle oblivion with them trapped in the middle what secrets lay still hidden in this maze of darkness the history of the keyblade war the origins of eraques and the truth of scala ad calum

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Of those choices the Sora/Riku show is the only one I don't want to see, only because half the games have been the Sora/Riku show. COM, KH2, DDD, Re:Coded. A Kairi spinoff seems warranted but if anything she should start with being Riku's sidekick in the next game and then work her way up to having her own game, once the waters have been tested, she's long overdue for a storyline. Something, anything. So what I'm saying is instead of a Sora/Riku game it should be a Riku/Kairi game. Sora has the main titled games as his playground. I'd love to play a Riku/Kairi game trying to find Sora together.

Now for my 100% full bias and favoritism answer on what I personally want and would also pay money for, and I don't care how selfish it is, I want this. Just going to copy and paste my answer from another thread here:

A RAX game taking place after KH3. Shows their life after the Organization. Focusing on Isa now being part of the group making amends for his past actions, Xion not fitting in as well with normal life as the others and having to learn how to be normal, Lea taking up the adult figure of the kids and slowly pulling his hair out, and finally Roxas exploring new elements of his life now that he's free to do as he wishes. There would be something that happens that makes them travel to Disney worlds, but also several Disney elements would be added to Twilight Town in their daily lives. Power Line would be there. They get a pet and it can be a iconic Disney/Pixar character. Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Uncle Scrooge are still around during this period. I'd also bring back Seifer's gang and maybe have a teenage Serah Farron or Vanille befriend Xion and Olette, just for more girl action.

With all that said, I agree with Twilight Lumiair on I don't see how being involved with the Foretellers can help their characters grow, especially with Roxas and Xion who action wise, feel like they have peaked. But who knows? Maybe one of the Foretellers will be their new personal enemy and spark something new? I need more info before I can even begin to speculate where they fit in the next saga.

Then there is TAV. I like TAV but I'll be honest, I don't put too much thought on what's next for them, as they seem more likely to stick around as opposed to RAX. I still fear that Aqua and Terra will be used as punching bags for the Foretellers. Especially since Terra is physically the strongest of the Keyblade wielders, what better way to setup the new baddies by taking out the toughest guy in the room. But a game for TAV would likely center on Terra coming to terms with his darkness and maybe being able to control and summon the Lingering Will as a backup to fight alongside him. Ven with his Union X past and Aqua with whatever it is a Master does. I suggested this awhile back, maybe she trains the villain for the next saga after MoM.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Based on the secret ending it seems pretty clear that the next game will be DDD volume 2. Which is something I'm really excited over

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I voted for Sora and Riku because I don't want more spinoffs with lesser characters and I'd rather the main story keep moving instead of lingering on things that don't matter. Plus, I won't lie, I do enjoy Sora and Riku much more than all these others because they have more chemistry as characters, SNS.

I'd rank the rest in order of how much I'd probably enjoy them as:

2. A game revolving around RAXI (for Isa)
3. BbS Vol. 2 (for Aqua, although Ven's presence would be a huge con)
4. Kairi

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I assume DDD vol. 2 given the secret movie. Though BBS wasn't the very next game after KH2 despite being its secret movies, so I can see something releasing before that.

A Kairi game would be nice. Have her trying to find a way in bringing back Sora by taking the role of visiting Disney worlds. Repurpose her scene from BBSFM secret ending where she's at the old mansion. Focus on Radiant Garden! (Please Mr. Nomura-san. Remember that this world is important! :mad: ) But I also would want it to be short. Like 8-10 hours, rather than a "full" 20-25 game.

I'd like to see KH try doing shorter games focusing on one plotline/character that gets to the point and not try to force a "full" game with 80% filler. It'd also theoretically be easier to produce.

I've pretty much given up hope for Kairi at this point, and the last thing I need after KH3 is more Sora, so it's gotta be one of the first two.

Not sure to be honest... Regardless of what, I'm not really all that excited after the writing flop that was KH3, so it's difficult for me to say that I would legitimately be happy with any of these choices no matter which gets made. Like, I WANT to say BBS volume two, but how do I know characters like Aqua won't just be needlessly disrespected and humiliated at every turn again? And with the Days trio, as much as I really would love to see them get a new game, I can't imagine being dragged into this whole Forteller Saga will really help improve their characters either. Then there's the fear that their group dynamic won't be consistent with what we've seen in Days, and the writers will once again shallowly lean into the character's popularity in order to trick audiences into feeling excited, rather than actual, quality character writing.

Idk. I guess all I'm trying to say is, making this decision would be a lot easier if I had some legitimate faith in the writers at this point. In a perfect world though, I'd probably go with a game starring the Days trio. The story format would probably be an evolution of BBS' structure though.
Same. Not that I'm not happy in seeing TWEWY and Not Versus XIII (y'all don't know how freaked out I was seeing the secret movie. lol) but with how KH3 was treated, how can I be excited for the possibilities? Why even be excited for the sequel bait or whatever the future games will build toward knowing Nomura could just drop it like it's nothing again?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Assuming the next game is DDD volume 2 there might actually be a way to have Kairi playable with Sora and Riku. While the boys are doing their thing in limbo we can see Kairi accomplishing things in the Realm of Light.

Maybe she tries to find the other new PoH

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Another idea is a combo of nearly all side chars in a bbsesque style my ideal scenarios would be

Axel/lea/kairi- lea isa and kairi set off to finally uncover the truth about the mysterious girl that set them on their paths and discover the origins of kairi

Roxas/namine/xion - roxas embarks on a set of tests to prove he is ready for the masters exam joined by new keyblade weilder and powerful magic user namine and old friend xion as they travel through worlds and discover xigbar is not so dead.

Aqua/ven/terra - a sudden disaster strikes the trios home rewriting it back to castle oblivion with them trapped in the middle what secrets lay still hidden in this maze of darkness the history of the keyblade war the origins of eraques and the truth of scala ad calum
I think having a game where each group (RAXI / TAV / SRK + Namine) has their own scenario is the best way to include the trios going further that I've heard. The idea of a game that's centered only on TAV or only on RAXI exhausts me to think about. At the end of the day, if Sora's not in the game, the story's not moving, which is why I was fine with most of these characters being dropped post-KH3 for a long time. But each group having their own scenario in one game could make them work without feeling like the series is treading water.

Nyx Winters

The Dawn Fox
Awards
I think having a game where each group (RAXI / TAV / SRK + Namine) has their own scenario is the best way to include the trios going further that I've heard. The idea of a game that's centered only on TAV or only on RAXI exhausts me to think about. At the end of the day, if Sora's not in the game, the story's not moving, which is why I was fine with most of these characters being dropped post-KH3 for a long time. But each group having their own scenario in one game could make them work without feeling like the series is treading water.

Plus each scenario covers a line that leads up to soras return and info on the coming threat as well as well needed character development and makes it so everyone has been standing around while Master riku goes on his rescue mission

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
don't see how being involved with the Foretellers can help their characters grow, especially with Roxas and Xion who action wise, feel like they have peaked. But who knows? Maybe one of the Foretellers will be their new personal enemy and spark something new? I need more info before I can even begin to speculate where they fit in the next saga.
It doesn't help that Roxas and Xion didn't have any potential storylines set up for them with future unlike Lea and Isa. And what with how little their characters were actually used in KH3 (barely getting much personal diologue between the two of them), it's difficult for me to even judge how the writers would go about characterizing them in a future title. How does Nomura see them at this point? Sora and Kairi 2.0 (which is honestly how KH3 framed them), or the unique and complex characters they were previously established to be? The answer to that question would be necessary for me to confidently guess how they'd be utilized going forward (assuming they would be at all, because again, they have nothing really set up for them), and whether or not that would constitute having a game centered around them.

Ideally for me, I'd love a game where they start off still seeing the Keyblade as a burden, and desperately try to preserve the normal lives they worked so hard to obtain (in an alternate universe, cause they barely did anything in KH3) as things fall apart around them. Over the course of the game, they'd grow to understand the responsibilities that come with being a Keyblade weilder, Xion likely being much quicker and more readily accepting of them than Roxas, and start embracing their larger role in the universe while still being content with normalcy should that be where their paths lead them back to.

I can imagine Roxas starting off being afraid of venturing into the unknown and once again abandoning his safe haven, and early on he has to muster the courage to go on the journey fate has layed out for him. Interestingly enough, I actually imagine this happening in a Disney World, with a premise that revolves around embracing adventure and overcoming fear, while still following ones heart. The motivating factor he'd take away from this first world would be: "It's because one cherishes life that they have to protect it." A new philosophy of this nature would be very important in keeping Roxas motivated throughout his journey; no longer letting his fear box him into a state of stagnation (unless it's specifically done to help put him at a hypothetical "low point" that he eventually overcomes in order to help re-affirm his growth).

To expand on that, I feel what Roxas really needs in order to grow as a character is primarily to become more open-minded and accepting of change (like Sora and Xion did before him), so I could imagine that, in addition to overcoming his fear of the unknown, he starts to gradually develop a curiosity and appreciation for the greater universe outside of the small bubble he cares about. Perhaps even growing a mild taste for adventure in the process. And by making new friends and connections along the way, suddenly his small circle grows to be a size he never anticipated it would be, and in the end, because of those new connections, he would be compelled enough to end his journey by making a truly selfless decision and putting the needs of the greater universe before his own for the first time (though, he really should've started taking steps toward this in KH3). He'd probably be bitter and somewhat spiteful about it, but ultimately satisfied with the safety of his friends. Roxas would essentially develop into a genuine hero who understands what it means to act for the greater good, while retaining his marked capacity for selfishness (he wouldn't suddenly become some sort of saint), a jaded view of the world, and his impulse to resist destiny (preferring to carve out his own path). He'd be the kind of hero who doesn't necessarily enjoy being a hero, but understands his duty to the world (a world that, for as cruel as it is, was generous enough to accept him back), and finds solace in finally having the agency to protect his loved ones.

Xion's arc would start off in a similar place to where Roxas' ends. She'd be content with normalcy, but when destiny comes calling, her greater sense of duty would compel her to set out on her journey with relatively little hesitation. Though, if she was pressured enough, I could definitely see her being a bit more spiteful toward the situation. In terms of her new arc, it's a little harder to say. As said before, I could see her growing to accept the responsibilities of being a Keyblade wielder the same way she did with her role in 358/2, and ultimately becoming more confident in herself and her self-worth. As a mirror to Sora, I could see Xion adopting a version of his "my friends are my power mentality" (granting her the will to press onward when feeling insecure about her own capabilities), and this could be thematically represented through her skilled copy abilities. Similar to how Sora uses Summons to metaphysically bring his friends into battle with him, or how Aqua created D-links to gain access to their strength from afar, Xion would copy/manifest the powers of her comrades through mimicking their abilities to perfection. Using her nature as a mirror as proof of her connections and, by extension, her existence, rather than as proof that she's some sort of "sham"/"imitation." So essentially, her arc would be about turning that deep-rooted insecurity into her most powerful strength, which could boost her confidence and help re affirm her own existence.

With all that said, I can't stress enough that this is how I would ideally imagine their arcs going, but I highly doubt something like this will ever truly come to pass. There's little reason to assume Nomura even knows what he wants to do with them as it is, or if he has actual plans for them in the first place.

with how KH3 was treated, how can I be excited for the possibilities? Why even be excited for the sequel bait or whatever the future games will build toward knowing Nomura could just drop it like it's nothing again?
Exactly. It's extremely difficult, and honestly, hardly worth getting invested in the future of this series when you know all the things set up for you to anticipate could be dropped at the snap of the fingers, and everything else is just wishful thinking at best (provided you don't have exceptionally low expectations).

Last edited:

AR829038

Awards
What I think we'll get and what I'd like to see are two very different things.
Of the choices you've laid out, I'm pretty sure the one we're going to get is the DDD 2/Sora+Riku game, even though I do think the two of them as a pair have been overdone to death at this point.
My personal preference would be for a Kairi-focused game, if only because she, as both a character and a member of the Destiny trio, has been criminally neglected for this entire franchise, and she desperately needs her own game to make up for her consistent absence and profound lack of agency.
I personally hate the idea of a game focused on Lea and Isa searching for the Subject X girl—I think it's a terrible idea as the concept for an entire game, and I don't think Lea and Isa are worthy of holding a main player/main character spot in the series, regardless of how popular Lea/Axel has been.
A BBS 2 idea could work, but it's not the most interesting concept either.
Frankly, I don't think I'm in the minority in saying that I don't believe ANY of the non-Destiny trios should have their own games at this point. Everyone's stories have wrapped up nicely; I'd like to see RAX and TAV and Namine continue to be side characters with something to do going forward into the next saga and the battle with the Foretellers, but they all deserve to just hang back and chill from now on. Not to mention that none of them really have anything relevant to do with the next saga yet, except perhaps Ventus, depending on how much his storyline in Union X will tie into the next saga.
Frankly, I don't think any idea that doesn't have one of the three Destiny characters front and center is a waste of time, unless Nomura has something outrageous he wants to pull out of his hat that might relate to any of them, which he very well could. But, I hope he doesn't.
All in all, I have to agree with Twilight Lumiair that the series' writing has suffered over the last 15 years—not that it was ever golden to begin with, but at least then the characters were more deeply explored, which alleviated the poor dialogue somewhat. The Xehanort saga has suffered from too many characters and too many connections being forced between them. I disagree with TL that the series has gotten bad, and I'm still enthusiastic about where it ends up going, but a lot of that enthusiasm comes from knowing that we're finally done with Xehanort and his convoluted bullshit. It gives the series a chance to chart a fresher course and expand outward rather than constantly trying to keep all the developments locked within a tightly interwoven web of characters and places. And I think that a lot of our predictions as to where the series is going to go next are most likely going to be inaccurate, as Nomura, for all his many faults as a storyteller, is anything but predictable. I'd just like to wait and see what madness he comes up with, and I pray it'll be something completely new and not tethered to any of the supporting characters like Roxas and Xion that, in my opinion, have been overused and overblown over the course of this series.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I disagree with TL that the series has gotten bad, and I'm still enthusiastic about where it ends up going, but a lot of that enthusiasm comes from knowing that we're finally done with Xehanort and his convoluted bullshit. It gives the series a chance to chart a fresher course and expand outward rather than constantly trying to keep all the developments locked within a tightly interwoven web of characters and places.
*chuckles*

It's honestly halarious that you'd say this considering that... what, seven or eight of the existing characters are effectively already being reused and revealed to either be somebody else entirely, or from ages in the past. Even if you exclude the Destiny Trio, the Disney characters, and Ventus, most of the cast that are likely to be getting focused on are, quite literally, characters that were already in the series. There's really not that much "expanding" once you start boiling it down. Unless perhaps, you ARE ok with the existing cast getting further fleshed out afterall.

And in regards to "not dealing with convoluted bullshit," remember that worldlines, possibly one of the most convoluted concepts in the series (many still not entirely understanding what they are), will likely be at the forefront of this next Saga. So this already throws that hope out the window. Not to mention all the complicated ways of dancing around death are going to carry right over into the next storyline through Sora's predicament. Things aren't suddenly going to get less complicated when Nomura is the one handling the story. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the man himself say in an interview that even if the next Saga isn't immediately as complicated as the Xehanort Saga, he'd eventually make it just as complex (if not more) with time?

I'd just like to wait and see what madness he comes up with, and I pray it'll be something completely new and not tethered to any of the supporting characters like Roxas and Xion that, in my opinion, have been overused and overblown over the course of this series.
You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I'd just like to reiterate that Roxas and Xion, outside of 358 and KH2, were barely in the series (despite their very minor, but important appearances elsewhere), and did little to nothing in KH3 either. It's extremely odd to me that one would call them "overused and overblown" when they hardly got half the screen time that any of the other main characters had. The whole point was that they're lives were short, and it's because of that fans were so heavily anticipating their returns (only for them to hardly do or say anything, leaving many either wishing they'd done more, or hadn't been brought back at all).

Last edited:

AR829038

Awards
*chuckles*

It's honestly halarious that you'd say this considering that... what, seven or eight of the existing characters are effectively already being reused and revealed to either be somebody else entirely, or from ages in the past. Even if you exclude the Destiny Trio, the Disney characters, and Ventus, most of the cast that are likely to be getting focused on are, quite literally, characters that were already in the series. There's really not that much "expanding" once you start boiling it down. Unless perhaps, you ARE ok with the existing cast getting further fleshed out afterall.

And in regards to "not dealing with convoluted bullshit," remember that worldlines, possibly one of the most convoluted concepts in the series (many still not entirely understanding what they are), will likely be at the forefront of this next Saga. So this already throws that hope out the window. Not to mention all the complicated ways of dancing around death are going to carry right over into the next storyline through Sora's predicament. Things aren't suddenly going to get less complicated when Nomura is the one handling the story. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the man himself say in an interview that even if the next Saga isn't immediately as complicated as the Xehanort Saga, he'd eventually make it just as complex (if not more) with time?

You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I'd just like to reiterate that Roxas and Xion, outside of 358 and KH2, were barely in the series (despite their very minor, but important appearances elsewhere), and did little to nothing in KH3 either. It's extremely odd to me that one would call them "overused and overblown" when they hardly got half the screen time that any of the other main characters had. The whole point was that they're lives were short, and it's because of that fans were so heavily anticipating their returns (only for them to hardly do or say anything, leaving many either wishing they'd done more, or hadn't been brought back at all).
You make some fair points. Perhaps Roxas and Xion were more simply overblown and underused.
And yes, I am acknowledging that some characters from the Xehanort saga will continue to maintain relevance in the overarching story going forward, such as Ventus and others. I'm just hoping this trend doesn't continue beyond this point. Which is to say, I'm fine having the carry-over characters we're already getting, I just don't want Nomura to keep retroactively making all the other older characters more central or important than they are right now. I don't want Roxas to somehow be a reincarnation of Gula, or of any of the other characters to be reincarnations of anybody else. As bad as the series has gotten with the multiple identity crap, we at least haven't strayed into reincarnation territory. Yet.
As for the worldlines, I'm guessing Nomura took the term from fourth-dimensional physics, wherein it denotes essentially branching timelines. Not only has there been no evidence in the games yet to contradict that definition, but in fact the most recent ReMIND trailer seems to be hinting in the parallel universe direction. Which, yes, that has the potential to get incredibly convoluted, but when I was talking about how convoluted Xehanort's plans were, it wasn't just because they were complicated, but also because the amount of foresight and prescience with which he orchestrated all his plans was patently absurd. If it had been the Master of Masters making all those schemes up, I would understand, because that dude literally sees the future and can plan accordingly. But the only excuse we've ever gotten to Xehanort's nonsensical planning genius is that he's just smart and prudent and likes to make backup plans. I can deal with alternate timelines. Those are familiar concepts, we can all instinctively understand how they work, AND I don't have to wave my suspension-of-disbelief flag like I did with Xehanort having a godly intellect despite his constant blunders like with Vanitas and Ventus in BBS.
I have no doubt that the series will still be really convoluted going forward, but at least this time we have an antagonist who actually has a good excuse for being able to plan superhumanly far ahead.

cakito123

Awards
I can really see a BBS2 game with VAT again, this time with Ventus as the central focus instead of Aqua.
You'd start the journey not knowing who Ventus was in Union X, and then Chirity will start giving Ventus's memories from the past back to him, day by day throughouh nice missions to develop VAT's stories (like in the BBS prologue) also revealing to us a little from the plot Nomura envisions. In the end of his journey, Ventus would have all memories back and would have a clear mind about his objectives from now on. I imagine some crazy shit happening to him that has something to do with Union X in the end. We'd have another tie-in for the next game, possibly Ventus getting reuited with Vanitas again and becoming whole once and for all (?)

Terra would still have relationships with darkness, since he always had, and his time being posessed made his darkness stronger. Maybe he could ask Riku for help controlling the shadows, and he'd also be protecting Ventus and Aqua from whatever Union X plot that Ventus brings to the table. In the end, he'd be recognized as a Master by Aqua.

I just don't know about what would Aqua's storyline tell.

5glitchers5

Awards
What kind of kingdom hearts game do you want for the next installment in the series?

A side game following master aqua ven and terra post kh3 in a BBS 2 style game as we see how things have changed for them?

A game focusing in on axel and saix as lea and isa as one scenario and roxas and xion in the other scenario setting up the new saga

a sora/riku game in the style of DDD in a buddy adventure (kind of a good chance with that secret ending)

Or maybe kairi takes the reigns and forges her own path in a spinoff as she protects the hearts of her fellow princesses from a new threat

OR SOMETHING ENTIRELY NEW

SPEAK Up share your opinion guys
Xehanort prequel like Nomura intended. It would be during Xehanort's World Tour and it would connect MoM and the UX lore/ set-up the new saga nicely. Starting it off with the villain of the last saga.

AR829038

Awards
Xehanort prequel like Nomura intended. It would be during Xehanort's World Tour and it would connect MoM and the UX lore/ set-up the new saga nicely. Starting it off with the villain of the last saga.
I would agree, except I think we're actually going to be getting that as part of ReMIND, so we don't even need a whole game about it now.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Ideally for me, I'd love a game where they start off still seeing the Keyblade as a burden, and desperately try to preserve the normal lives they worked so hard to obtain (in an alternate universe, cause they barely did anything in KH3) as things fall apart around them. Over the course of the game, they'd grow to understand the responsibilities that come with being a Keyblade weilder, Xion likely being much quicker and more readily accepting of them than Roxas, and start embracing their larger role in the universe while still being content with normalcy should that be where their paths lead them back to.
This entire post is fantastic; the only caveat I might add is that in this theoretical post-KH3 world where the franchise had this sort of creative juice left in it, it would have been cool to see Roxas's recalcitrance, skepticism and caution surrounding the unknown actually produce a positive outcome or him and others-- in other words, shifting the framing of the story so that some threat coming down the line would be difficult to overcome solely with the kind of sheer optimism and self-affirming belief system that characterizes Sora, and it might even be that while Roxas's openness and personal growth enables him to work more fluidly with others, that pervasive, protective streak of his comes in handy at a time of crisis (like, by stopping everyone from walking into a huge trap, or by seeing a solution others couldn't; honestly he would've been a huge asset to the BBS crew the first time around, haha). Roxas's need for stability and his desire to maintain an organized, comprehensible worldview isn't problematic in and of itself, it's just that his perspective tends to be too narrow and he's never had an opportunity to flex his wits and abilities outside of controlled (and frequently chaotic) circumstances that were being manipulated by others.

In that sense, Xion really is a great match for him dramatically as someone who has previously shared in many of his defining tendencies towards emotional reservation and resistance towards change (and many of the experiences which bred them), but who has also kind of borne witness to the need to commit to a greater truth and purpose; they are both so distinct in how their journey impacted them, but there are nevertheless echos of each of their stories reverberating between them. While I think Xion also has a lot of potential to develop as a character apart from Roxas (as in Days), they are kind of centrally intertwined and I could imagine an arc that has them separated for portions of it, but with intermittent reunions that drive home just how strongly akin they are in some ways even as they each engage their unique approaches to the world around them. Very much like siblings who are constantly reminding each other of the resonance of the familial connection, which transcends time and distance.

One area that will definitely get ignored by Nomura but which ought to be addressed is that they both have an enormously different relationship to Riku. His influence was instrumental in helping Xion to decide for herself how she would fight for her own destiny and validating her humanity, while conversely he worked to subvert Roxas's agency at nearly every turn, and there are a lot of ways a writer could cash in on that kind of dynamic for some points of tension (ideally not too heavy handed). For Riku's part, I imagine he feels some level of guilt or at least regret towards both of them, and then there's Namine who has a really complex history with both of them. Whatever resolution might have been brought about for her and Roxas at the end of KH2 was effectively undone, or at least completely reframed, by Days and KH3, and while there was a certain character logic to both of them consenting to be together by reuniting with Kairi and Sora, there were so many false pretenses predicating that decision, like the fact that Namine genuinely didn't/doesn't believe in her own right to exist, that it's hard to regard it as anything other than the product of a deeply internalized drive to surrender. That's why I think Namine would really benefit from sharing time with Xion, who has overcome those hurdles of self-actualization and has an acute understanding of what it's like to feel "fake," and to basically carry the burden of a relentless form of imposter syndrome. Whereas for Xion, choosing to go back to Sora was liberating, and for Roxas it was pragmatic, for Namine it felt like resignation--like she always knew she was going to end up with Kairi again and she was only holding off for the sake of others, and maybe a little, heavily suppressed part of herself that thirsted for more. It feels like Xion could really help her open up to the possibility that she deserves to inhabit her own space in the universe, and to want for things that constitute her own happiness. Like, goodness just let them borrow the magic carpet and honeymoon over Agrabah already.

It sucks to think that exactly none of this is going to happen and instead there'll just be more "X is from another worldline!" and whatever. Really the stuff of compelling narratives there.

Back