• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Cancelled Ratatouille Wine Promotion from 2007 lives on in Kingdom Hearts 3 Keyblade

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Here's a special one for fans of Disney history.

Back in 2007, Disney and Pixar had plans to create a promotion alongside Costco featuring bottles of Bourgogne Chardonnay wine with a Ratatouille label on it. The promotion was meant to roll out in August 2007, however the LA Times reported back in 2007 that the promotion was cancel due to complaints from California winemakers and opponents of underage drinking. The Decanter published the image of the label, which showed Remy the Rat holding a glass of wine. The label was also included in the film in the background of the closing scene, although the poster showed Remy holding a glass of red wine.

Flashforward to today and eagle eyed Kingdom Hearts fan u/Enfero posted on Reddit about the wine label living on in Kingdom Hearts III. For you see, players can unlock a special Ratatouille Keyblade within Kingdom Hearts III, no doubt for completion of the mini-game that sees Sora helping Remy the Rat cook meals in Scrooge McDuck's restaurant. 

The sides of the Keyblade feature two bottles with this label, which are then used during a Keyblade transformation to pour wine into a frying pan, which Sora then uses to thwack over the heads of his enemies.

It's nice to see some of the hidden past of Disney being revived for Kingdom Hearts III. With Disney providing heavy involvement in the game, fans should expect a lot more Disney than before, including even more easter eggs like this.

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on The World Ends With You, Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross]Kingdom Hearts III and all things Kingdom Hearts!

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Ah I love little Easter eggs like this. Makes this game feel as much Disney as KH1 did

Also I find it a bit silly that they would cancel this brand over fear of underage drinking. Did they think parents would give it to their kids due to the cartoon rat on the label?

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Well that’s pretty cool. Did Square Enix buy the rights to use the artwork?

Also, do you think SE will face the same complaints? After all, it’s half a Disney game.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Ah I love little Easter eggs like this. Makes this game feel as much Disney as KH1 did

Also I find it a bit silly that they would cancel this brand over fear of underage drinking. Did they think parents would give it to their kids due to the cartoon rat on the label?

Per the LA Times article:

She said her group complained to Disney because the Ratatouille label, with Remy holding a rat-sized glass of wine, appeared to violate the spirit of the code of advertising standards that all institute members must follow. The code bans the use of any advertising that might appeal to people below the legal drinking age by using photos of very young models or cartoon characters, Light said.

Seems like Disney was just insistent that Remy be featured on the label, so it was all or nothing.

Well that’s pretty cool. Did Square Enix buy the rights to use the artwork?

Also, do you think SE will face the same complaints? After all, it’s half a Disney game.

They don't have to buy the rights to use it. It's a Disney product. They probably just gave them the reference files.

And this wine doesn't exist in the public marketplace. There's nothing to complain about.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Ah, I love little references like this. Makes the game feel more alive. Also this ratatouille keyblade looks so fun and I don't care what anyone else says.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
At least the wine gets to live on in spirit~

Did they think parents would give it to their kids due to the cartoon rat on the label?
Considering we still have dumbass parents taking their kids to see R-rated movies, giving them Mature-rated video games and cartoons thinking it's for kids. Then freak out and complain when it finally clicks that they're very obviously not, instead of being an actual parent in the first place. I fully believe that there are parents out there who would be dumb enough to give wine to their kids because a rat was on it.

DangerNoodle

Awards
Cant wait for easter egg and secret videos, as well as "Boundary Break" for Kingdom Hearts 3[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
At least the wine gets to live on in spirit~

Considering we still have dumbass parents taking their kids to see R-rated movies, giving them Mature-rated video games and cartoons thinking it's for kids. Then freak out and complain when it finally clicks that they're very obviously not, instead of being an actual parent in the first place. I fully believe that there are parents out there who would be dumb enough to give wine to their kids because a rat was on it.

I could buy parents being negligent enough not to bother with checking ratings for films and games. But Wine? Cartoon rat or or not I would hope even the most irresponsible parent could tell a bottle of wine from a bottle of juice. Especially if you find it in the Alcohol section of your local grocerey store

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I could buy parents being negligent enough not to bother with checking ratings for films and games. But Wine? Cartoon rat or or not I would hope even the most irresponsible parent could tell a bottle of wine from a bottle of juice. Especially if you find it in the Alcohol section of your local grocerey store

It's not so much about them confusing it for a non-alcoholic beverage; it's them not caring and giving it to the kids anyways.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
It's not so much about them confusing it for a non-alcoholic beverage; it's them not caring and giving it to the kids anyways.

I concur with this. Many parents are actually this irresponsible and don't care, giving their kids whatever just to shut them up. I've seen this quite a lot in my town actually and it's kinda sad.

I'm glad this little lost piece of Ratatouille can live on though. ^^

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Awesome, I knew that the wine bottle pictures of Remy holding the wine look vaguely familiar.

I also just watched Ratatouille a week ago and looking forward to see Remy and the Ratatouille Keyblade in action.

SoulXaldin

Awards
Whoa whoa whoa, we can’t show alcohol in a E10+ game! I will now file a petition to have ESRB to change KH3’s rating to Teen.

I’m doing this for the children’s sake.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Honestly even if the Ratatouille wine became a thing I doubt I'd drink it. Not a big wine fan.

inb4 Sora pops the top off a bottle of Ratatouille wine and takes a swig because Xehanort takes all of his friends
Better yet Sora flies back to the Caribbean and drowns his sorrows with Jack.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
GETTIN CRUNK ON DISNEY/PIXAR! I'm glad they made it an easter egg though. I love how Pixar has always handled easter eggs and it's great to see that they're continuing that tradition in this game. I wonder if we'll see the fabled E113?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
GETTIN CRUNK ON DISNEY/PIXAR! I'm glad they made it an easter egg though. I love how Pixar has always handled easter eggs and it's great to see that they're continuing that tradition in this game. I wonder if we'll see the fabled E113?

I'm pretty sure I saw it on the license plate of one of the cars outside of Andy's house.

Back