• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► D23: New Gummi Ship Details and How Development is Going

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Gamespot have released some more details that were discussed at the Kingdom Hearts Fan Event at D23 on February 10th.

Square Enix revealed some more details about the Gummi Ship segment in Kingdom Hearts 3:

This time, however, it has been split into two phases. There's an exploration phase, which was likened to being more open-world, and there's a combat phase. Combat has been increased in scale, with more enemies than ever before.

They also confirmed some more details about the development of the game. Everyone in the Osaka studio is working hard on Kingdom Hearts 3, with 100 employees from the Tokyo studio also involved.

Development is currently split into three departments: early, middle, and late. Early refers to the first few worlds, middle refers to the worlds encountered in the middle of the game, and late refers to the worlds encounted at the end of the game.

There are three worlds in each department, but Square Enix stresses that it does not mean there are a total of nine worlds in Kingdom Hearts 3.

The early worlds, according to Tetsuya Nomura, is currently at 90% complete while the worlds encounted in the middle of the game are around 60% complete. Tetsuya Nomura did not confirm what percentage the end phase is currently in, but it is "something he's always wanted to do and put into Kingdom Hearts, ever since the days of working on Final Fantasy." He added: "It is bound to surprise everyone."

Don't forget to follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitter, and Tumblr for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts 3 and all things Kingdom Hearts!

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
The gummi ship sounds nice, exploring sounds great.

I am a little worried about that world though lol...."since working on Final Fantasy" ?? Dunno what that means exactly...

Muke

whatever
Awards
Gummi Ship missions sound really interesting, I can't wait! And I'm so glad 100 people from Tokyo Studio are working on KH3 as well <3 I'm also excited about that last thing. What could it be??

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The gummi ship sounds nice, exploring sounds great.

I am a little worried about that world though lol...."since working on Final Fantasy" ?? Dunno what that means exactly...
Versus XIII. He's taking ideas he had for Versus XIII and putting it into Kingdom Hearts 3.

bagcifreak

Maybe it's 9 Disney Worlds + original worlds?
Also I'm guessing Hercules, Tangled, Toy Story and Monsters Inc are the first 4 (Disney) worlds to appear in KH3?!
Maybe we'll have a really epic boss fight at the end of the game... like maybe he always had the vision of a certain boss fight he could never do for a Final Fantasy game but is not able to create his vision on KH3. 😛

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Versus XIII. He's taking ideas he had for Versus XIII and putting it into Kingdom Hearts 3.

Oh that Final Fantasy lol. I dunno, for some reason I was imagining back when he was doing character design for the PS1 generation or something ha. That makes more sense...so is it world? The wording of the rest of the paragraph implies that but the anecdote about Versus is weird. I guess it says how old whatever the world is based on could be?

Also I'm guessing Hercules, Tangled, Toy Story and Monsters Inc are the first 4 (Disney) worlds to appear in KH3?!
Maybe we'll have a really epic boss fight at the end of the game... like maybe he always had the vision of a certain boss fight he could never do for a Final Fantasy game but is not able to create his vision on KH3. ������

I'm still hoping for like 11 or 10 Disney worlds...including a mini-game one though. So 9 to 10 fully playable main worlds.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Could the three worlds in each department mean there will be nine total Disney worlds, with the rest being original?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Could the three worlds in each department mean there will be nine total Disney worlds, with the rest being original?
It'd be the same amount of Disney worlds as Kingdom Hearts 1. The only thing we have to go off is there are less Disney worlds than KH2, and that was 12, so 9 is possible.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
At this point i don't even want to get my hopes up for more Disney worlds outside what we've seen leaked/confirmed. I can't deal with disappointment no moreeeeee.

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com

I think that means they're working on 9 at a time, not 9 together. They probably have other ones, including the original worlds and optional worlds, on the backburner. So if the first group finishes one of the three worlds, then they have an additional one waiting to get started on.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
At this point i don't even want to get my hopes up for more Disney worlds outside what we've seen leaked/confirmed. I can't deal with disappointment no moreeeeee.

I mean there is definitely more than that? All we have is Olympus, San Fransokyo, Corona, Toy Story, and Monster's Inc officially

And then you know Frozen and 100 Acre Wood leaked. So that's still not 9...and I guess its just conjecture, but I surely can't see them going below that number at least?

I do think KH1 had a nice balance of worlds, aesthetic wise. Dunno yet for this game, cuz the worlds seem to be so huge and have such different environments within them...that problem is almost going away. Like Olympus has 3 or 4 distinct environments and now the Toy Story world looks super crazy in that regard as well. I could maybe see Monsters Inc and San Fransokyo clashing a bit with being modern themed? But yeah I dunno.

TheZX

Awards
Oh man Oh man, I really gotta know what Nomura's been wanting. Kinda sounds like a setting he's wanted in a FF game but could never work it in?

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
I mean there is definitely more than that? All we have is Olympus, San Fransokyo, Corona, Toy Story, and Monster's Inc officially

And then you know Frozen and 100 Acre Wood leaked. So that's still not 9...and I guess its just conjecture, but I surely can't see them going below that number at least?

I do think KH1 had a nice balance of worlds, aesthetic wise. Dunno yet for this game, cuz the worlds seem to be so huge and have such different environments within them...that problem is almost going away. Like Olympus has 3 or 4 distinct environments and now the Toy Story world looks super crazy in that regard as well. I could maybe see Monsters Inc and San Fransokyo clashing a bit with being modern themed? But yeah I dunno.
There probably is. I really just want whatever those worlds are to be completely different from what we have so far.

You brought up a good point about how the worlds having distinct environments in them because how huge they will be. Wasn't expecting Toy story to have all that.

Makes me wonder if some worlds didn't make the cut because they couldn't provide enough variety in the environments with the increased scale. Like sadly i can honestly see Jungle book not making it in because i can't see it looking much different from Tangled forest now..they seem they just took a few jungle like themes and put in there instead.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
There are three worlds in each department, but Square Enix stresses that it does not mean there are a total of nine worlds in Kingdom Hearts 3. The early worlds, according to Tetsuya Nomura, is currently at 90% complete while the worlds encounted in the middle of the game are around 60% complete. Tetsuya Nomura did not confirm what percentage the end phase is currently in.

In that case, judging by the trailers, Hercules, Tangled, Toy Story and Monsters Inc. all seem to be early worlds seeing as they all are in a fairly complete state (from what's shown in the trailers). Honestly, this kind of further validates my belief that we won't be seeing San Fransokyo until the other Disney worlds have been showed of as it was the last world chosen.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
In that case, judging by the trailers, Hercules, Tangled, Toy Story and Monsters Inc. all seem to be early worlds seeing as they all are in a fairly complete state (from what's shown in the trailers). Honestly, this kind of further validates my belief that we won't be seeing San Fransokyo until the other Disney worlds have been showed of as it was the last world chosen.

It'll be a bit until we have a order we go to, or if we go to this world first, it affects the scenes we see. KH1 did that with the showing of Snow White and that odd scene if you never went into the whale and went inside finally

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
It'd be the same amount of Disney worlds as Kingdom Hearts 1. The only thing we have to go off is there are less Disney worlds than KH2, and that was 12, so 9 is possible.

I’d be fine with it, tbh. With worlds of this magnitude, I think 9 would suffice. Especially if that number excludes smaller areas like Mysterious Tower and potential mini-game worlds like 100 Acre Wood. Throw in 3-5 original worlds and we should be set.

If 9 is the number, these would be my worlds in their corresponding development department:

Early:
Olympus Coliseum
Galaxy Toys
Kingdom of Corona

Middle:
Monstropolis
Jungle Book
Arendelle

Late:
Bewitching Bayou
San Fransokyo
Game Central Station

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
There probably is. I really just want whatever those worlds are to be completely different from what we have so far.

You brought up a good point about how the worlds having distinct environments in them because how huge they will be. Wasn't expecting Toy story to have all that.

Makes me wonder if some worlds didn't make the cut because they couldn't provide enough variety in the environments with the increased scale. Like sadly i can honestly see Jungle book not making it in because i can't see it looking much different from Tangled forest now..they seem they just took a few jungle like themes and put in there instead.

Yeah I could unfortunately see that for poor Jungle Book too...it really was one of the worlds I expected most. I still hope Treasure Planet can make it in as the other cut world really asking to be in this game...and it definitely fits the whole completely different aesthetic ha.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
100 people from Tokyo team? That's more than I was hoping for, I'm really glad they're there.

Also these news about the Gummiship intrigues me. That section still has potential to evolve and I'm hopeful about its outcome.

UltimaXOmega

I say instead of Jungle Book, we have Treasure Planet or Star Wars.
Jungle Book environment wise would be similar to Tangled.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
Yeah I could unfortunately see that for poor Jungle Book too...it really was one of the worlds I expected most. I still hope Treasure Planet can make it in as the other cut world really asking to be in this game...and it definitely fits the whole completely different aesthetic ha.
Yeah Treasure planet would be great because of that. Honestly when you think about it there's not much properties that have really distinct aesthetics like that. It's why i'm hoping for that alongside Atlantis and Ralph. I just think they can provide the most distinct environments outta all the potential unused properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back