• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nomura's comments on Famitsu KH15 anniversary survey results

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Last week, Famitsu published a huge spread on the KINGDOM HEARTS 15th anniversary, featuring the results of an in-depth survey conducted on everyone's favorite game, characters, moments from the series, and much more.

Series Director Tetsuya Nomura left several comments on those results, and thanks to Saken, you can read translations of them.

1. I think the results of the title that people played first, as well as the ones people enjoyed most are as expected. It's quite something that the ratio of the people who answered is 50% male to female. Even from the data we gathered within our own company, unlike most of our other titles, there is a strong representation of the proportion of males to females, as well as the proportion of younger players. Comparing to our other titles, we can see many young and female players, which reminds me that this is truly a title with a connection to a healthy future.

2. The fact that "story" occupied the majority of responses in regards to fan's favourite parts of the series is a surprise. It occurred to me that most responses gathered this time must have been from pretty hardcore fans, seeing that the story is quite long and complicated. We always try our best to place our utmost effort into every aspect of our games, so I thought it would have been a more even spread. 
In regards to the responses regarding favourite characters, most of the results were as expected, but I feel Riku ranked a little low. I think I have to do something about that. Maybe I should give him a little more opportunity to shine?

3. As for enemies that left an impression on players, there's a split made by the memory of a tough battle, and the memory therein of a character as a whole. In regards to favourite Keyblades, the popular Keyblades from before once again take the limelight. Regarding favourite scenes and worlds, there's quite a few I didn't expect to see. The scenes that I personally wished I had put more emphasis on seemed to top the ranks. For example, when Sora turned into a heartless. I wanted to let players bask in this moment for longer, but I ended up putting priority in the pace of the story. As for favourite worlds, I was surprised that so many original worlds ranked the highest.

4. As for features players indulged in the most, as expected, the features we put particular effort in topped the ranks. I was unexpectantly surprised and happy to see the Dream Eater creation feature being popular. Regarding favourite music tracks, I'm relieved to see the tracks that I had pointed out to include into the Orchestra Concert's setlists being popular. Additionally, regarding the mysteries that fans are most eager to unravel, a lot of them seem to come from our latest work, KH2.8... I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Contained within those are a lot of the mysteries that originate from the plot of KHx, which was unexpected but welcoming. By all means then, please look forward to future developments in the renewed "KH Union Cross".

5. As for guest characters that fans would like to see the most, I'm a little worried. In the current state of the main story, it would be difficult to incorporate these characters. However, even in the responses regarding what fans are looking forward to most in the future of the series, numerous voices are heard expecting these guest characters to appear. I'll consider the voices of these fans very carefully and do my very best to meet the expectations of all other fans. As for the final messages received by fans, I can feel the same feelings and fond memories of the series that sprout forth from our overseas fans in our Japanese fans, however they are also patient. I could really feel the fire burning inside them. 

In regards to KH3, being the 15th year anniversary, the tension is steadily rising so, to fans, we thank you for your patience and ask for your continual support as we work hard toward our mutual goal.

In addition, several celebrities and members of the voice cast left congratulatory messages for the KINGDOM HEARTS series:

Rena Matsui
Debuted as a member of SKE48, is now an actress after graduating in August 2015.

Congratulations on 15 years! Kingdom Hearts was the first game I completed on my own, and I've played it over and over ever since. Sora, Riku, Kairi, the characters just get more and more captivating as they're introduced. They're all characters I can't help but fall in love with. In KH2, Roxas' "My summer vacation... is over" is always so emotional that no matter how many times I watch it, I cry. It's my favourite scene. Even if KH3 takes another many years to release, I'll be eagerly waiting.

Risa Uchida - Kairi and Xion
I'll never forget the day I auditioned for Kingdom Hearts. From that day on I've been captivated by it. From 13 years old meeting her, half my life has been Kairi. The one who taught me the true meaning of having heart, Xion. To them, and to the happiness I've been granted by Kingdom Hearts, I offer my utmost thanks. Happy 15th anniversary!

Kouki Uchiyama - Roxas and Ven
I received mail from Megumi Toyoguchi (VA of Aqua), who attended the Orchestra World Tour concert in Tokyo, about how that went down. It's only Kingdom Hearts that's able to create and host such a huge, worldwide event. The effort of the staff, as well as the constant support of the fans piled up over 15 years is what I believe to have made such a thing possible.

Megumi Toyoguchi - Aqua
Happy 15th anniversary! 

I'm incredibly thankful to have been able to meet with the splendid Aqua! I'm looking forward to the day where Aqua escapes the Realm of Darkness, to the day where with overwhelming feeling and happiness I can cry out the names of Terra and Ven once again!

Mamoru Miyano - Riku
During a period of time where I was yet to act with my voice, I was privelleged to have met with Kingdom Hearts. So, you could say that my voice acting life and history, and Kingdom Hearts', is one and the same. Being given the op
portunity to experience and grow along with Kingdom Hearts has been a wonderous ride. And with ever increasing devotion, I'll continue to grow and live on as Riku! From the depths of my heart, congratulations on 15 years!

Masahiro Sakurai - Director of Smash Brothers and creator of Kirby
Congratulations on 15 years, Kingdom Hearts! (Just around the same time, Kirby reaches its 25th)

Being the director of a collaborative title myself, albeit in a different direction, I wholeheartedly understand the difficulty of developing one so much that it hurts! However, I tip my hat to Nomura and his staff for constantly creating such flawless volumes of progression each and every time. And onward to the future, I'll continue to sit back and indulge myself in the entertainment you bring forward for me.

palizinhas

Awards
Re: Nomura's comments on Famitsu KH15 anniversary survey results

I feel Riku ranked a little low. I think I have to do something about that. Maybe I should give him a little more opportunity to shine?

Oh, God, no. No, you should not do that.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

Thank you for the translations Saken! The last bits about the character cameos are interesting but hopefully they'll be able to add some new FF characters.

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com

Fans: Riku is not our favorite character.
Nomura: Here's more Riku.

If CoM and 3D didn't do the job, stop trying! It's good he's analyzing this poll, but I'm worried he's looking at the results the wrong way. People said they liked Lingering Will more than Phantom. This doesn't mean you should re-introduce Phantom with an upgraded skill set. Atlantica didn't even place in the world section. Imagine if this makes Nomura bring it back with a new and improved rhythm mini-game.

palizinhas

Awards

And Riku didn't do badly? He was in fourth place!! So what there's a tangible difference between him and the third place? If you need to focus on someone that did poorly, focus on Terra or Naminé. Not RIKU. He's a playable character in two games.

yuyayuzu

Awards

Chain of memories and kh2 shows riku's development. And in DDD, riku has gotten so much spotlight that even there are people complaining he is stealing sora's spot and because riku ranked a little low , nomura have to give him more spotlight, is he sane ? I wonder what is with his obsession with riku and I think kairi is the one who isn't getting any attention not riku or am i the one who is strange for thinking like this ?

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards

Not gonna take that Riku comment too seriously unless we get a confirmation of Riku getting a huge playable section in 3.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Nomura mentions in another comment that he knows the survey was conducted on a biased party. You can see that just by looking at the results; obviously most people don't love the story/RAX/Days as much as the participants do.

Considering his tone in the Riku answer, he's being rather playful about it.

Hirokey123

Awards

You say that but you know outside of here I've actually never had any problem finding love for Days, it's actually a really loved game, trio, and story. Heck for many it was their first KH game making it as special to them as KH1 is to others, an advantage it has being the first KHDS game. In fact if you look at metacritic it scores quite well. Just 2 points below the entire 1.5 collection, tied with DDD, and above both Re:Coded and Re:CoM by a large margin. Oddly enough it's 1 point below GBA CoM which I think is more odd because of the sheer score difference between GBA CoM and Re:CoM. User score is pretty much the same as well, fact is Days is a well enjoyed game despite its flaws.

Anyway I really think he might be sincere about the Riku thing but I hope to all hope that he is joking.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

Riku's the deuteragonist of the series, of course Nomura expected him to rank up high. I really do hope that Nomura provides an international survey soon so he can see a larger perspective of which aspects of Kingdom Hearts is favourable from a more objective stance.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards

Megumi Toyoguchi - Aqua
Happy 15th anniversary!

I'm incredibly thankful to have been able to meet with the splendid Aqua! I'm looking forward to the day where Aqua escapes the Realm of Darkness, to the day where with overwhelming feeling and happiness I can cry out the names of Terra and Ven once again!

Gaah, this hit right in to my feels. Gosh. We all hope that Megumi-san, and I am sure it will happen in the future!

Uchida`s comment about learning what it`s like to have a heart as Xion was really sweet too.

Muke

whatever
Awards

That can't be good, it doesn't matter if Riku is the deuteranogist or not. Nomura is/will be trying to force characters down the throats of the players and that's simple not good. I'm not hating on Riku right now, but he has gotten so much attention in the series and he's still determined to give him more. Please Nomura, just stop it. Other characters need so much more.
I hope he really is joking.

Anyways, thanks for translating this.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

The way I'm reading him "giving" Riku more time to shine is showing off more of his and Mickey's story, if not being somewhat playable. Tbh, I'd be down for that and really, that should be in there. (And really, I'm still surprised myself Riku got fourth considering him and Aqua are the only properly developed characters in this series).

Kinda sad with his response about guest characters, tho. That is my main concern. It sounds almost like he had no plans in including any of the mentioned characters, which is a surprise - I thought Lightning and Noctis would be a given for KH3. Bartz would also be nice, buttttt I'd rather them hold Zidane for Neverland/PotC/Treasure Planet than any of the other worlds, tbh.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

I'm okay with Riku being important. He has been until now and ending the saga with someone else as the deuteragonist now would feel awfully forced. Still wanna see more of the others and I'm a bit worried these guest characters (or any overall) come to him as sich a surprise.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

all these riku haters in this thread smh

ridic.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

all these riku haters in this thread smh

ridic.

5tamwFxY7PTW0.gif

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

All these riku haters in this thread smh

Ridic.

Whether people like to admit it or not, official promotional material for Kingdom Hearts III state that Riku and Mickey are looking for the "Scarred Keyblade Wielder" (Aqua). In order to see where that narrative goes, there has to be moments dedicated to Riku because of this narrative element.

And besides, he's now a Keyblade Master who's overcome his fears of Darkness. He's not going to have an inferiority complex anymore. I'm intrigued as how his attitude will change now that he's more akin to his original Kingdom Hearts personality.

Muke

whatever
Awards

Whether people like to admit it or not, official promotional material for Kingdom Hearts III state that Riku and Mickey are looking for the "Scarred Keyblade Wielder" (Aqua). In order to see where that narrative goes, there has to be moments dedicated to Riku because of this narrative element.

And besides, he's now a Keyblade Master who's overcome his fears of Darkness. He's not going to have an inferiority complex anymore. I'm intrigued as how his attitude will change now that he's more akin to his original Kingdom Hearts personality.
According to 0.2, his attitude is more Sora-like now… make what you wish out of that
(he says he listens to his heart more now, instead of trying to be the role model)

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

uh, i wouldnt say he is closer to his kh1 characterization now.

he's a beautiful gay sap now, and not the rude closeted anger teen he used to be.

let him spread his wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back