• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Many Transformations of Keyblades in Kingdom Hearts 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

The Kingdom Key is a staple to the Kingdom Hearts series. It's been with Sora since the very beginning in Kingdom Hearts I and has been useable in every game minus Birth by Sleep and Unchained x[chi]. The keyblade was shown back in 2013 in the reveal trailer for Kingdom Hearts 3 but for some reason it was absent from today's E3 trailer. This is probably because the trailer is showcasing many of the new additions and changes to the core gameplay, such as the new Heartless, team attacks, and attraction flow.

In this trailer two new Keyblades were shown off, one that Zephyr drew from the 2.5 Launch Event last year, and another from Olympus Coliseum. In case you didn't get quite a good look at them, we've collected some pictures of the Keyblades, various changes they go through, and some special abilities they activate.

This gorgeous Keyblade is the first thing we see Sora carry around when the gameplay segment starts. Sora is in his Kingdom Hearts II attire (for whatever reason that might be) and beats up the heartless in a pretty spectacular fashion. In fact, Sora even transforms the Keyblade into guns and then a cannon to pulverize the Heartless using a shotlock like attack!

It is currently unknown how Sora comes by this equipment. KHInsider admin Taochan theorises "im wondering if its an attraction flow keyblade??????".

The other Keyblade shown in this trailer is no doubt the Keyblade recieved from Olympus Coliseum. Yes, after taking a break from the series in Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance], one of the most used worlds in the series returns. Except this time it has expanded beyond the intial Coliseum and the Underworld and into what looks to be Mount Olympus.

The tip of the Keyblade depicts Zeus, father of Hercules, holding a thunderbolt. Does this suggest that we will finally be meeting the Gods of Olympus?!

Another interesting thing to note is that the Keyblades react to magic being cast. Here's the Olympus Keyblade a second after casting fire and aero;

It's a nice little addition that helps increase the immersion of the game. The feeling that your magic is responsive and has more of an effect than just on the Heartless is a fantastic addition. In fact, it's more than just the Keyblade lighting up, it even affects the environment around you, such as the grass spinning when Sora casts aero!

Of course, like the previous Keyblade, the Olympus keyblade has the ability to transform. Keeping with the theme of Zeus and lightning magic, the Keyblade expands ...

... and electrifies ...

... then shrinks into a shield worthy of Goofy ...

... and becomes a chariot pulled by Pegasus (who made their debut in Kingdom Hearts II).

As Pegasus pulls Sora around, lightning flashes out and attacks the Heartless. This emphasis on lightning magic and Zeus surely should confirm that we will be seeing at least Zeus on Mount Olympus.

The Keyblades have had a tremendous advancement through the series, with the Re:coded system of Overclocking being one of the favourites, however the new abilities tied to the keyblade and a more responsive keyblade to magic and the environment personally make me very excited for future Keyblades to come. 

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
So many transformations! I really like the design of both Keyblades. Hopefully we do get to meet Zeus in this one. So it looks like each Keyblade will have its own transformation. Can't wait to see what each one does, especially the Kingdom Key.

Norpthalomus

It's better than drinking alone
Awards
Website
ultimumrome.tumblr.com
Love this editorial piece! Those are all really good catches; even though I've watched the trailer 5+ times already, I hadn't thought of those implications (what with meeting Zeus, physical effects of magic on the Keyblade, etc. etc.). I'm so hyped for more details of this game that I can't think straight.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
This may be the last time we see Olympus Colisseum in KH, so I'm glad they are finally introducing mount olympus and the Gods.

In regards to the Chariot summon, was the Pegasus pulling it the one belonging to Hercules, or was it a new one?

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
This may be the last time we see Olympus Colisseum in KH, so I'm glad they are finally introducing mount olympus and the Gods.

If that's true I really hope we get to see more of Thebes and the forest where Hercules first met Meg (I JUST WANT MORE MEGARA! SHE'S THE ONLY HUMANOID IN HERCULES I CARE ABOUT!)

MasterZero

The transformations for the keyblades may be my favorite new piece of gameplay.

JollyCrow

I noticed the first keyblade but I did not notice the Zeus keyblade - good catch guys!

Really falling in love with these multiple keyblade transformations, I look forward to seeing what else is in store for the series and if ALL of the keyblades (with an exception of the keyblade key) will have some sort of transformation.

Can't wait to see what else you guys catch!

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Really falling in love with these multiple keyblade transformations, I look forward to seeing what else is in store for the series and if ALL of the keyblades (with an exception of the keyblade key) will have some sort of transformation.

Why should the Kingdom Key be the only exception to the transformations if each one is said to have a unique one?
There isn't something special about it that sets it apart from the others.

EternalDream

I feel the kingdom key transform should be something iconic to sora. Perhaps it's a simple synch blade transform to fill in the loss of Ventus' keyblade after they wake him up? It would technically be one keyblade but he'd be holding parts of it in both hands.

Newsora

Does anyone regonice that there is a gap betwenn KH BbS and KH 1 in the main story line picture
There is also a change in the formation(always one up one down)
Maybe KH BbS Vol. 2 ^^

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Thanks for the shots of the Zeus Keyblade. Now that I have a better look at it, it no longer looks like a fish to me.

The transformations are cool and all, but...the Keyblade is feeling less like a Keyblade. Granted we had transforming Keyblades since Lingering Will (and BBS had it to, to a degree) and it's still badass when it does it. But here it feels like the transformations are a way of trying to keep the Keyblade relevant. I also feel having them around is just too much, so I'm hoping these transformation are actually hard to pull off (like having to have certain conditions or such.)
Right now they just seem too OP.

Sanctus

So the drawn keyblade is quite different from the one in the trailer. Personally, I prefer the original rapier design we see in Zephyr's art. Is this an actual progress in development or is the discrepancy due simply to Zephyr going by memory when the keyblade was drawn (i.e. a mistake was made)?

Anagram

Banned
Thanks for the shots of the Zeus Keyblade. Now that I have a better look at it, it no longer looks like a fish to me.

The transformations are cool and all, but...the Keyblade is feeling less like a Keyblade. Granted we had transforming Keyblades since Lingering Will (and BBS had it to, to a degree) and it's still badass when it does it. But here it feels like the transformations are a way of trying to keep the Keyblade relevant. I also feel having them around is just too much, so I'm hoping these transformation are actually hard to pull off (like having to have certain conditions or such.)
Couldn't agree more. I'm glad to see I'm not the only not sold on the Keyblade basically becoming a magic Swiss Army knife.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
So the drawn keyblade is quite different from the one in the trailer. Personally, I prefer the original rapier design we see in Zephyr's art. Is this an actual progress in development or is the discrepancy due simply to Zephyr going by memory when the keyblade was drawn (i.e. a mistake was made)?
It was honestly very close considering he only got to see it briefly and had to work solely from memory. It's also possible the design was edited a bit, seeing as we didn't get the same footage they had at the event in December.

But I also prefer Zephyr's rendition as I find the current version of the Keyblade to be strangely bulky and too large.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I really hope that random lavender on the Zeus Keyblade is darkened up, it looks super out of place....otherwise I like it. Certainly more than Mark of a Hero from BBS lol.

The other one...is weird, its a unique design, and the colors go nice together but yeah I dunno if it looks too thick. Also, I'd like to know if its based on anything, most are so we will see I guess.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
It was honestly very close considering he only got to see it briefly and had to work solely from memory. It's also possible the design was edited a bit, seeing as we didn't get the same footage they had at the event in December.

But I also prefer Zephyr's rendition as I find the current version of the Keyblade to be strangely bulky and too large.
Yeah, that and it looks like it's made out of plastic (honestly, everything in the trailer looked like plastic/clay.) I really wish it looked like the beautiful rendition Zephyr made, but this is nice too.

Awards
I'm so excited to see the Greek Gods in this one. <--Heavy into Greek Mythology and the Percy Jackson Series
The transformations seem like they'll be really fun too. Though hopefully the new abilities will be offset by the enhanced enemy AI.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

It seems like, considering Sora's moves with the slide dash, dodge roll, high jumps, three attraction flow and two keyblades transformations, that this is more of an end-game Sora.

Echoecho6

Awards
It seems like, considering Sora's moves with the slide dash, dodge roll, high jumps, three attraction flow and two keyblades transformations, that this is more of an end-game Sora.

I hope you're right about that. Unfortunately I think flowmotion is going to be there at the start tho and we can use it in our attacks right away. (sorry I am not a fan of flowmotion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back