• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

2023 is very clearly gonna be the year of Final Fantasy for SE

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

mriku90

Awards
Final Fantasy 16 is coming out in the Summer and just announced the second part of Final Fantasy 7 Remake called Rebirth is gonna be out Winter 2023.

Suggesting that the earliest we see Kingdom Hearts IV is gonna be in late 2024.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Probably January 2024 for FFVII Rebirth. OG FFVII came out in January so it could be an anniversary thing. KH3 also did well in that spot in 2019.

KHIV could come as early as March 2024. But I don’t think any sooner at this point. With how fast they’re developing Rebirth and already working on Part III, I’m hoping it’s a sign KHIV is coming along well too and won’t need much more time to complete than XVI and Rebirth.

sdr27

Awards
I would safely bet KHIV will come out in late 2024. They will want FF7 Rebirth to have breathing room during the first half of 2024. Not to mention FFXIV's next expansion will probably release around next November if there are no delays, which would leave KHIV be their Fall/holiday title for 2024. At least, we will have KHML to tie us over.

Liodin

Awards
How can it be that KH3 took 5 and a half years to develop, with a reboot in between, and KH4 is going to take the same amount of years, or even more, being developed in Unreal 5 with a lot of work already done on KH3.

I really don't get it.

The Nvidia leak said September 2023, but I imagine that date will no longer be met, having 2 FF in between.

sdr27

Awards
How can it be that KH3 took 5 and a half years to develop, with a reboot in between, and KH4 is going to take the same amount of years, or even more, being developed in Unreal 5 with a lot of work already done on KH3.

I really don't get it.

The Nvidia leak said September 2023, but I imagine that date will no longer be met, having 2 FF in between.

um. what reboot? My personal theory was that they were going to release KH4 on the 20th anniversary but the pandemic ruined that. While I think it can be completed in 2023, I don't want it to go up against FF7 Rebirth. The smart business move is to release it in late 2024 so it can do good. Besides an extra year of development won't hurt it.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
um. what reboot? My personal theory was that they were going to release KH4 on the 20th anniversary but the pandemic ruined that. While I think it can be completed in 2023, I don't want it to go up against FF7 Rebirth. The smart business move is to release it in late 2024 so it can do good. Besides an extra year of development won't hurt it.
In late 2014, about a year and a half after KH3 was announced, Square Enix decided to move development from Luminous Engine to Unreal Engine 4.

Porting the assets and materials from one engine to another took a minimum of three months (they announced it they were doing it in October 2014 and said they it was done in December 2014) and they likely had to start from scratch on a lot of what they had already had. The story also went through changes from the initial reveal since the “Key to Return Hearts” was dropped completely and the Power of Waking was introduced instead.

NoWay

Awards

I really don't get it.

That’s also frustrating me. FF7 Rebirth seems to be such a big game and the team seems to be working very efficiently on more than
one title AND are already mentioning Part 3.

For me it seems like KH doesn’t get that many resources with different teams working in actual console titles. I love the FF franchise and I’m really excited for CC, FF16 and FF7 Rebirth. I’m even excited for Ever Crisis. Why can’t we get lower budget remastered game like CC to have literally anything KH related to play? What about an Ux remaster for consoles?
In late 2014, about a year and a half after KH3 was announced, Square Enix decided to move development from Luminous Engine to Unreal Engine 4.

Porting the assets and materials from one engine to another took a minimum of three months (they announced it they were doing it in October 2014 and said they it was done in December 2014) and they likely had to start from scratch on a lot of what they had already had. The story also went through changes from the initial reveal since the “Key to Return Hearts” was dropped completely and the Power of Waking was introduced instead.
Only the real OG KH stans remember the “Key to return Hearts”. Oh boy, 2013-2014 was such a hard time to be a KH fan.
Time flies, doesn’t it ?

Chie

Awards
There are a lot of people working in Square Enix. I don't think FFXVI has any effect on KH4.

the red monster

Awards
There are a lot of people working in Square Enix. I don't think FFXVI has any effect on KH4.
i think they mean square wouldn't want to release them too close to each other
the way i see it:
Forspoken - this year
XVI - 2023
VIIR 2- early 2024 assuming no delays
KH4- late 2024/early 2025
they will very likely start KH4 marketing after rebirth drops

Chie

Awards
Maybe. They didn't used to think that way though, when they were releasing several games a year, and that's when they were a relatively small company. I also don't think they would finish a game and just not release it, but considering XVI's weird development status updates maybe that is exactly what they'd do.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I definitely think KH4 will be in 2024 which is fine with me. I don't want to buy a PS5 yet.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I think we kind of figured as much given how they said it was only in early dev back when it was announced. Plus, KH team has been busy with a bunch of other stuff (as usual) in the time since KH3's release: Re Mind DLC, MoM support, Xbox/PC/Switch Cloud ports, consulting on FFXVI (who'd have thunk?), who knows what else?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I’m fine with 2023 being FF’s year. I just need SE to seriously commit to Missing-Link and at least throw us a bone with updates on KH4 like finalized outfits.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I agree that late 2024 is the earliest we'll see KH4, but I still think it will be 2025.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
They might be aiming for a big release every six months.

Winter 2022-23: Crisis Core Reunion
Summer 2023: FFXVI
Winter 2023-24: FFVII Rebirth
Summer 2024: Possibly KHIV or DQXII
Winter 2024-25: Whichever of the above hasn’t released yet.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
2023 is actually clearly going to be the year of ME. Anyway, they might slot KH4 in as early as January 2024 by my estimation-- While a same-month launch as an FF title might be something they want to avoid, it's not as though these games absolutely cannibalize each other to the point where they can't release an exact month apart. I'd say you can probably rule out 2023, but I don't think distance-to-FF is something that needs to be worried about too much.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
All I'm asking for in 2023 is a KH4 world reveal trailer (probably Star Wars since everyone guessed that already) and a bit more story/gameplay elements. It would be enough to just see Luke in the party and even Darth Vader. Just as long as the world reveal isn't Hercules.

They can release this between the Final Fantasy games, so that it won't steal their thunder.

Agroogrooiya

Awards
Mid 2024-2025 realistically. KH games take ages to create and SE mismanagement is ever present

Back