• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

2008-09 NFL Season

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Who wins Super Bowl XLIII

• Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Arizona Cardinals

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trini202

ESPN - 2008-09 NFL Preview - NFL

We're in the last week of the NFL Pre-season. That means we're one week away from the start of the regular season. The season opener is Thursday, September 4th at 7:00 PM ET with the Washington Redskins @ Super Bowl champs New York Giants.

ESPN - NFL Schedule, Pro Football Schedule, National Football League Schedule

I'm excited about my Patriots team. Brady, Moss and Welker should be phenomenal after meshing together so well last year And since I highly doubt they'll be lining up in shotgun over 70% of the time again this could be Laurence Maroney's breakout year and LaMont Jordan could be a force on the goal line. But people aren't questioning our offense, its our defense that has people wondering. The lack of size and strapower at corner and the lack of youth in the linebacking corps are our biggest weaknesses. Not to mention Rodney Harrison is getting older and its showing. While I think John Lynch was a good pickup and I like the idea of rotating him between safety and linebacker, he's old as well. First round pick Jared Mayo and third rounder Shawn Crable bring some much needed youth to a linebacking group who's starters last year were all 30+. Fernando Bryant was a good pickup, now we just need to see if he can stay healthy. Ellis Hobbs, the shortest cornerback in the league and also injury ridden, really needs to step up his game this season. And also it is worth mentioning thet Ty Law is on the market, seeing as how we like to sign old players, what's better than siging an old player who used to be ours anyway? However with all those faults, the Pats more than make up for it in clever scheming. Spygate or no Spygate, Belichick is still one of the best coaches in the league and maybe in the history of the game. Also our d-line remains a force to be reckoned with. Two Pro-Bowlers on that line; Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork while and Ty Warren has one inevitably in his future. Combine that with the #1 offense in football still intact and an easy-as-pie schedule and the Pats have a lock on the division and possibly another Super Bowl trip. 16-0 is a long shot, but anything short of 12 wins will be a disappointment.

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Spygate FTL

I'm worried about Shawne Merriman. He's just f***ing retarded for not taking the season ending surgery and risking the rest of his most likely successful career.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
I think Merriman is a beast. The guy wants to play and is willing to risk it to play. I say he won't last the whole season and will end up elaving to get surgery so he can be back in time for next year. But the CHargers look like they could be another 10+ win team. And even with Merriman partially injuried they are still very dangerous. They lost their secondary RB but then found out they have just as good of a guy. They got 2RB that will damange the opposing defense.

Now teams i see not doing much of course Miami. They really aren't going to surprise anyone unless you think 2 wins is so spectacular than from last season. Rams should be average. Jets do add Farve but one guy cannot make every play. But the Jets could be a surprise team. Decent defense, good returners, and possible offense improvement. If the Jets can actually get Jones running this year then they have a chance to get Wild Card.

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
The Dolphins will of course be better than last year though. Although Pennington may be rather sucky, I still think he's better than what they previously had. I'm giving them 4-5 wins.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
One question. Football season doesn't start this weekend but the following, correct?

I think Merriman is being alittle stupid, but you got to admit the guy is amazing. Today's day and age you see more people playing for the money instead of the game. This guy loves to play and is willing to risk everything to keep playing. I think though he showed his toughness and now he should just go to the coach and ask them to get another at his position. He needs the surgery and might as well do it now and be 100% for next season.

trini202

Well that won't work.
And nobody pressured him to come back.
This isn't exactly as courageous as it is stupid.
Because if this becomes a nagging injury and his production slips then guess what?
CUT.

And yes the season starts the following weekend.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
The guy won't get cut mainly because he is a great player. If he starts getting worse then the team will thus pressure him into have the surgery. The guy won't be cut though.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Well it was most likely going to happen. THe coach was mad at Johnson mainly cause a recurring hamstring injury kept him out of all the preseason games. They were going to trade him, but I guess no one wanted him.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Wasn't an amazing performance by the defending champs, but at the same time they did make a team a lot of people think could contend look like they didn't know what to do. Redskins could not get anything going on offense and Giants defense just kept pressuring. It was good game I suppose.

Artemis

For the glory of the hunt
woot
football season is officially going
as for last years SB, better the giants than the pats!
i thought their first game went well, would have been more impressive if it was against a more together team

i am looking out fot the colts, they my faves XD

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Well I don't see the Giants being able to do a repeat. The team looks good, but if they get 1 or 2 players hurt on defense that can pretty much go on a downfall. But of course you never know.

Destiny's End

The Best in the World at What I Do
Oh Yeah, I'm pretty amped for the season to start. Especially knowing my Colts will have an easy win against the Bears. Bears don't have it anymore. Ever since losing in the SuperBowl to said Colts, they've been bad. The Bears even know it. As much as I hate New England, I'm interested to see how they bounce back especially seeing that they could lose at least 4-5 games this season. Yes, I believe Jets are good enough now to at least beat The Patriots once. Twice is a stretch.

The Giants looked good in the first half, and the game got boring really fast in the 2nd Half. Giants aren't good enough to repeat, but they are good enough to be at least 1 win better than last season. The NFC East is officially down to Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles because The Redskins looked like garbage against The Giants. Some challenge for the champions.

IMO, this could one of the most unpredictable seasons. Can the Giants repeat? Can the Cowboys get out of the Playoffs and win the Super Bowl? How good will the Packers be? How better are the Eagles? How good can Indy and New England be with Brady and Manning playing injured? How will Merriman's foolish decision impact his team? Can Farve lead the Jets to the playoffs? It should be a great season.

As far as Merriman goes, I don't know why he didn't take the surgery. Playing with that injury will make the injury even worse than it already is and rather than being out for a season, he might not be able to play again. Don't care how much love you have for the game, if you really love the game, get the surgery to allow yourself not to be so limited and play to your fullest.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Damn they are saying Brady could be out for the season. I would need to get a new QB for one of my teams which would suck. Also I am so glad i picked up Turner cause he was just amazing in his first game as a Falcon.

Well Brady is out for the year.
ESPN - Belichick's next mission: Prove it's not all about Brady - NFL
That sucks major balls cause now i need to find a QB for one of my fantasy teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back