• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

2.8 is 60fps on PS4Pro

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
without delving into spoilers, let's talk about this.

Why didn't Square/Nomura say ANYTHING about this? Both seemed content to play up the fact that DDD HD would play at 60, but didn't mention their much more visually ambitious title (0.2 BBS) also hitting the 60fps mark on the PS4 Pro. This is confusing to me. Perhaps they didn't know until fairly late into development that they were going to be able to make the 60 frame mode work?

Something else that's interesting about this is that DDD HD has 60fps gameplay, but 30fps cutscenes, probably to avoid animation/audio desync; however, 0.2's cutscenes also play out in a beautiful 60fps, and it looks absolutely fantastic.

On regular PS4, there was a particularly dense action packed gameplay sequence that saw the game's 30FPS start to dip down more towards 20-25 fps. I wonder how the PS4Pro handles this same fight. Does it drop down to 45-50?

Pizza

Technically, not 60 fps, but unlocked framerate, so the gameplay always stays over 30 fps.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah we basically know nothing about Pro support aside from "it's there".

We need something solid before we draw any conclusions. Sources, comparisons etc. Hopefully an educated site can do a video.

Pandymint

Awards
You know, this is great and all. But to be honest, I've never understood why some people get so hung up on 60fps like its pure gold.

Though, I wonder if 60fps gameplay and 30fps cutscenes will be jarring at all.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
You know, this is great and all. But to be honest, I've never understood why some people get so hung up on 60fps like its pure gold.

Experiencing 3D in 60fps WAS pretty great, I have to admit that. I guess it also depends on the kind of game you play.

Launchpad

Awards

It really makes a difference. KH has done fine with 30, but doubling the frame rate makes the game that much more responsive, fluid, and playable. You'll be less snarky when you actually get around to playing DDD on 2.8

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
It really makes a difference. KH has done fine with 30, but doubling the frame rate makes the game that much more responsive, fluid, and playable. You'll be less snarky when you actually get around to playing DDD on 2.8
I don't think so? I've played plenty of games with 60fps, some of which were remasters of titles that weren't originally in it and maybe my old man eyes aren't used to it, usually it pulls me out of the experience and at worst it makes me a little sick to my stomach

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I don't think so? I've played plenty of games with 60fps, some of which were remasters of titles that weren't originally in it and maybe my old man eyes aren't used to it, usually it pulls me out of the experience and at worst it makes me a little sick to my stomach

That's a valid problem actually, and I also noticed some people looking a bit sick at the KH3D stations and blinking looking away during the boss fight in Traverse Town. It's so super-colorfull and then the rapid camera...it's double-edged, that's for sure, but I liked it a lot.

Launchpad

Awards

imo that's probably just an adjustment thing. I always prefer a game to shoot for 60 than 30, since today's 'cinematic' motionblur filled games at 30 tend to makeme sick, especially once they start to dip below 30 (DDD's biggest issue)

dbG33K

without delving into spoilers, let's talk about this.

Why didn't Square/Nomura say ANYTHING about this? Both seemed content to play up the fact that DDD HD would play at 60, but didn't mention their much more visually ambitious title (0.2 BBS) also hitting the 60fps mark on the PS4 Pro. This is confusing to me. Perhaps they didn't know until fairly late into development that they were going to be able to make the 60 frame mode work?

Something else that's interesting about this is that DDD HD has 60fps gameplay, but 30fps cutscenes, probably to avoid animation/audio desync; however, 0.2's cutscenes also play out in a beautiful 60fps, and it looks absolutely fantastic.

On regular PS4, there was a particularly dense action packed gameplay sequence that saw the game's 30FPS start to dip down more towards 20-25 fps. I wonder how the PS4Pro handles this same fight. Does it drop down to 45-50?

So 60fps on both (playable) games. Either get any resolution boost? Or perhaps the option to choose between 1080p60 or 4K30?

dbG33K

So I'm playing the JPN version now, and I am pleasantly surprised to say, DDD looks to be outputting full 4K (at least higher than 1080)! That is awesome, the game really does look superb! However, I will agree with others here that the 60fps does not look quite as great as it should, IMO. It seems more sped up than smooth. I think that is just how it turned out.

My understanding is that a proper 60fps conversion adds in additional frames of motion within the original 30 per second. Whereas this (and other games with this feel) seems to have just jammed the 30 frames into a smaller period of time. I could be wrong on the technicals, but that's how it feels to me.

Hopefully they either fix it or they add in (via patch or update) a way to turn it off. The cutscenes which are 30fps are more comfortable (again, IMO) to view than the 60fps gameplay at times.

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
Stranded in a hotel room with my PS4 pro without my 4K TV
Gonna play this game in Glorious hotel room TV 720P

TepidShark

Awards
Wait, I understand why 0.2 would need the PRO to do an advanced framerate, but are you guys saying DDDHD is only 1080p60 on the PRO? Or is DDDHD 1080p60 on Regular too?

Last edited:

dbG33K

I'm on a 4K display with the Pro. Far as I can tell, DDD is running 4K60. So, that would lead me to believe 1080p60 is where the Standard PS4 is performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back