• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 3 Previewed in January 2014 Issue of Game Informer!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

News for Kingdom Hearts has been slow lately, but soon it will begin to pick up regularly as this weekend marks the annual Jump Festa event, which will feature the highly anticipated Kingdom Hearts -HD 2.5 ReMIX-. While equally anticipated, Kingdom Hearts IIIhas not been announced for this event. However, American game magazine Game Informer got the chance to speak with series creator Tetsuya Nomura about the upcoming Playstation 4/Xbox One game for their Preview section in the January issue, which we have paraphrased for you below.

Speaking with Game Informer, Tetsuya Nomura confirmed that Kingdom Hearts III's main story concludes Xehanort's arc, and reenforced that it picks up "immediately after the events of Dream Drop Distance."

He also talked about some of the plot points the game will cover; "The process of the wielders coming together will be the main storyline, but one of the highlights of the climax is going to be who is part of the seven lights and thirteen darkness when they get to the final battle. Would it be as everyone expected, or will there be unexpected members added to the mix? That is something to look forward to."

While the plot is one of the most anticipated parts of Kingdom Hearts III, fans have often praised the gameplay of the series, saying that each installment improves the traditional fighting techniques, while still bringing in new abilities to work with. In Kingdom Hearts III, it's been shown that Sora will have the ability to transform his Keyblade into different weapons. "All Keyblades transform, and in many different ways," Nomura says. "Through the series, various other skilled Keyblade wielders had transformed their weapon; it may serve as a hint to see what they transformed their Keyblades into, in order to understand the different ways in which they changed their form."

Although the transformations are a big addition to the gameplay, one of the most exciting reveals from the D23 Expo was the Disneyland attractions being used to attack various enemies. A giant pirate ship was summoned in Twilight Town to take down the heartless, while Big Magic Mountain was used to traverse the large Rock Titan to deal a lot of damage. On this, Nomura explained that these attractions aren't tied to the Keyblade abilities. Instead, activating these attacks depends on what type of enemy Sora is fighting;  "When the appropriate attack becomes available, the player can activate it".

While the wait for Kingdom Hearts III to be released in stores is still a fair while away, Nomura gave some insight into what he is hoping to achieve with the closing of the Xehanort saga; "It will be a summation of everything accumulated up to this point, in terms of both story and game mechanics. I'm sure that those who've followed the series up to now are very eager to see what's next, but I think it's also important to create wonder and awe, much like when the first game in the series came out."

In closing with Game Informer, Tetsuya Nomura left with his usual teaser for the events to come; "The end also means a new beginning, and I'm certain that as this story arc ends, players will be able to look forward -- carrying this excitement -- for something new and different, never-before-seen in the series".

We here at KHInsider are very excited for the future of Kingdom Hearts III, and judging from Tetsuya Nomura's words, it seems like it will be a thrilling ride from start to finish. Make sure you follow us on TwitterFacebook, & Tumblr for all of the latest news on KINGDOM HEARTS -HD 2.5 ReMIX- & KINGDOM HEARTS 3!

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
So, strictly speaking of the KH franchise, only 2.5 will be screened at JF, but that's alright! I'm pretty sure that the past trailer and 2.5's presence are enough to keep us satiated for a good period of time while waiting for the revealing of the next KH3 trailer.

<p>In closing with Game Informer, Tetsuya Nomura left with his usual teaser for the events to come; "The end also means a new beginning, and I'm certain that as this story arc ends, players will be able to look forward -- carrying this excitement -- for something new and different, never-before-seen in the series".</p>

Let the theories run wild. :p

Thanks for this piece of news!

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
unexpected members to the mix, huh? wonder what he meant by that. also glad to know that the ability to transform the keyblade won't be exclusive to just sora

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
So, strictly speaking of the KH franchise, only 2.5 will be screened at JF, but that's alright! I'm pretty sure that the past trailer and 2.5's presence are enough to keep us satiated for a good period of time while waiting for the revealing of the next KH3 trailer.
Well, we have reported that KH 2.5 is the only thing KH to be shown, but i dunno it could show up but 99.99% certain it won't be there so no one should get their hopes up.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
God, I'm so curious what Nomura has up his sleeve for the next saga.

I almost want KHIII​ to release just so he can actually talk about it.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Yay! News! This is awesome. So, the members of each side are going to be surprising huh? Betcha that at least one or two of them won't be revealed until the last second as some kind of giant plot twist. Woo! Hype! Can't wait for Jump Festa either. Only three more days until we get a boatload of 2.5 stuff.

And curse his cryptic talk. Now I'm already excited for the next saga and KH3 doesn't even have a release window.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
When Nomura said "unexpected characters" I wonder if he mean new ones?

I think he just means characters that we didn't predict. Like what if Eraqus regains his body and ends up being a Guardian of Light? You know, twists like that.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
And curse his cryptic talk. Now I'm already excited for the next saga and KH3 doesn't even have a release window.

Educated guesses seem to place it somewhere within 2016, but who knows? :laughs:

You were... Cataclysm, right?

When Nomura said "unexpected characters" I wonder if he mean new ones?

I personally hope that, instead of completely new ones, by "unexpected" he was referring to existing characters that we didn't think of before. Like Jiminy, for example.

Alpha Sonix

I think he just means characters that we didn't predict. Like what if Eraqus regains his body and ends up being a Guardian of Light? You know, twists like that.

Yen Sid a guardian of light confirmed then :) Knew he couldn't doth dat mantle for long.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Educated guesses seem to place it somewhere within 2016, but who knows? :laughs:

You were... Cataclysm, right?

And that would put any new entry in the series at around a 2019-2020 release, since there's obviously going to be a break after KH3. Yikes, I'll be old by then.

Yes indeed. Took advantage of the free name changing for this month.

XIII RoXaS XIII

Awards
In closing with Game Informer, Tetsuya Nomura left with his usual teaser for the events to come; "The end also means a new beginning, and I'm certain that as this story arc ends, players will be able to look forward -- carrying this excitement -- for something new and different, never-before-seen in the series".

So this means that after the havoc of KH3, we won't have a blank slate again. EVERYTHING must be resolved; if there is cliffhangers, unanswered questions or something left at the end of this game that acts as a plot device for the next series, I will swab Square's whole development team.

Yen Said as a light would be cool. That way we would finally see him bust out his keyblade.

Knock Knock
Who's there?
Yen said
Yen said who?
Yen said he is a guardian of light XP

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Unexpected. Okay. Nomura says that all of the time. So let's think of everything.

"Unexpected". Sora is not a Light, but he definitely is not a Darkness. He isn't in the middle, either. He is literally the Key. He who will "open the door", chosen by Kingdom Hearts himself or something crazy like that.

Saix is not not fully on Xenahort's side and stabs him in the back because plan. Because Xehanort is ruthless, Saix is eliminated. Lea and Isa share a tearful friendship moment. (Isa is brought back promptly an hour later after the final battle in a cutscene depicting "somebody" repairing the universe and righting the countless wrongs of Xehanort with Kingdom Hearts' almighty power)

KH2!Rikunort is a Darkness because why not.

Xehanort didn't just stick pieces of his heart into those that were powerful enough, but those he felt he could use. Like Zexion, Lexaeus, etc. An army of Xehanort.

HPO has something to do in all of this.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
And that would put any new entry in the series at around a 2019-2020 release, since there's obviously going to be a break after KH3. Yikes, I'll be old by then.

Heh, cute. I will have been 30 or 31 by then and had a family of my own. I hope. I don't mind the break though, they could use some time so that they can come up with a game of better quality.

But why worry about that for now? Let's just savour the present.

Unexpected. Okay. Nomura says that all of the time. So let's think of everything.

snip

Everything you've stated will be proven wrong, since by stating them here, they have already become not unexpected. :p

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Everything you've stated will be proven wrong, since by stating them here, they have already become not unexpected. :p

Except every single time Nomura has said "unexpected", fans have generally guessed every plot twist and surprise before the game is even 60% complete. Every single time. Since 2005 I've seen all kinds of theories from people on here and a lot of them (the ones that seem unlikely) came true. 8D I've got one or two things right in my little batch of uneducated guesses. :3

Gram

Banned
Awards
Tetsuya Nomura confirmed that Kingdom Hearts III's main story concludes Xehanort's arc, and reenforced that it picks up "immediately after the events of Dream Drop Distance."

Yet somehow, someway, people will still argue kh3 will take place a couple years later.

I'm glad to hear keyblades have several transformations and the bit about the park themed attacks was interesting, guess we can rule them out as actual/true summons.

Except every single time Nomura has said "unexpected", fans have generally guessed every plot twist and surprise before the game is even 60% complete. Every single time. Since 2005 I've seen all kinds of theories from people on here and a lot of them (the ones that seem unlikely) came true. 8D I've got one or two things right in my little batch of uneducated guesses.
*coughTerrabecomesXehanortVentusresidesinsora/roxascough*

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Even though I like the look of the Disneyland rides, I have a feeling these things are gonna be the Reaction Commands of KH3 aka overpowered. Things like the train can be fun but the ship f.e. just looks like button mashing to me. I also can't help but feeling that they feel slightly out of place, even though they are Disneyland rides. But I'll wait before jumping to any conclusions.

I'm way more excited about the Keyblade Transformations, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back