• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Sora figure auctioned for 703,000 yen at D23 Japan

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

At the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan this year, fans of the Kingdom Hearts series had plenty to see and enjoy, besides the announcement trailer for Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX and the gameplay trailer for Kingdom Hearts III.

During D23 Expo Japan, the Sora figure used as a reference to model him in the first Kingdom Hearts title was exhibited for auctioning purposes. The final bid made on this rare reference figure was 703,000 yen (approx. $7,129.86 USD), which makes it quite expensive to say the least. All proceeds were given to charity.

Take a look at the figure in the pictures below:

Click to enlarge!

What do you think about the figure? Would you be willing to pay such a high price for a figure like this?

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitterTumblr and Google+ for all the latest Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX and Kingdom Hearts 3 news!

Source: Aibo, 727 clover

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
So that's the final figure.

... holy mother of Mew, it's so freaking expensive.

I personally think the money could've gone somewhere (imagine how many glasses of iced lemon tea you can buy with that amount of money!), but it's understandable that a really, really dedicated collector is willing to give away that much money for something that's only one of its kind. That's some amazing bragging rights over there.

I'm glad it sold so expensive and well beyond my assumption. If it were otherwise, I could've cried for a missed opportunity.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
On another note, doesn't the figure look like Sora's supposed to be holding a Keyblade in his right hand? Is there any Keyblade included with the figure?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
On another note, doesn't the figure look like Sora's supposed to be holding a Keyblade in his right hand? Is there any Keyblade included with the figure?

No Keyblade. This was strictly for modeling Sora's in-game render, so non-attached accessories wouldn't have been made for it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
They usually don't sell these kinds of reference models. They usually put them on display or tuck them away in archives. It is like the Disney animation reference models. Those are just as rare.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
So that's the final figure.I personally think the money could've gone somewhere (imagine how many glasses of iced lemon tea you can buy with that amount of money!), but it's understandable that a really, really dedicated collector is willing to give away that much money for something that's only one of its kind. That's some amazing bragging rights over there.
The money did go to charity, though, so it arguably did go somewhere (and a particularly productive somewhere, at that).

Exploiting the rich to give to the poor...Great way of building a good conscience (and healthy PR).

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Looks like it went even higher :p Sigh, it's such a beautiful figure but there is no way I could afford that :( I'll just have to settle for having been in first place for a few hours before it ended ^_^ Sadly, my max bid was slightly under half of what it went so there was no way I could compete.

I really hope they'll release another one of these reference models down the line for auction (perhaps during 2015 if KH3 is released that year to drum up hype) because I love these figures, they are absolutely stunning. Though Sora's box smile on this one is slowly creeping me out (not saying it still isn't gorgeous).

Now that I even think about the Aqua one, I can chills...that's a work of art I'd love to view one day (let alone own @_@).

Gram

Banned
Awards
TnT One of the few times I truly wished I was rich. I'm surprised how high it went for.

kupo1121

Awards
Probably could have gone higher if more people knew about it outside of Japan and fan sites/Tumblr/etc. xD

I was honestly thinking about that and honestly, I don't think it would have gone much higher. Anyone who was willing to spend THAT much on it would definitely have known about it and could easily have found someone attending (or bought a ticket themselves just to be allowed to bid) to bid themselves. I'm assuming if it was opened up to the public KH-fans, it still wouldn't have reached $10,000, though it would have gone higher.

At most, putting it out to the public would have only increased in the price because art collectors (who are not KH fans) would have hunted it down to buy it and store it in a safe, never to look at it again for it to appreciate value so that they can sell it for a profit down the line. Truthfully, a part of me is nervous that that is what happened this time >_< I guess if that's what did happen, then at least I'll have another shot down the road when the person takes it out of the vault and tries to get more off the figure...

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
At most, putting it out to the public would have only increased in the price because art collectors (who are not KH fans) would have hunted it down to buy it and store it in a safe, never to look at it again for it to appreciate value so that they can sell it for a profit down the line. Truthfully, a part of me is nervous that that is what happened this time >_< I guess if that's what did happen, then at least I'll have another shot down the road when the person takes it out of the vault and tries to get more off the figure...

That's actually entirely possible. Then I think we can kiss the figure goodbye because there's no way we can get it for less than what he / she had paid. Besides, when he / she finally takes it out of the vault to resell it, who knows how much time has passed since the initial purchase? The selling price is likely to have multiplied by then.

I wish I was that rich.

iLeen

Awards
Can I just have the box?

But wow! I dunno if I'd buy that at that price, even if I were rich. Then again, it is nice eye candy *_*

Ten

If I was rich and wealthy I would have had no problem spending that much but sadly this is not the case.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I'm sorry, Sora-prototype, but that is truly ridiculous. No way I would spend that much on you, even if I had it. I really like these pointy shoes though, gives them a tougher feel then the bouncy, round ones. Glad all the proceeds went to charity. It's appropriate for the hero. Anyone know which charity?

(Ahhh to be Gates, Trump, or Winfrey.)

kupo1121

Awards
That's actually entirely possible. Then I think we can kiss the figure goodbye because there's no way we can get it for less than what he / she had paid. Besides, when he / she finally takes it out of the vault to resell it, who knows how much time has passed since the initial purchase? The selling price is likely to have multiplied by then.

Or the price could go down. I really all depends on how popular KH stays over the years. Right now is a prime time for it to skyrocket because there is so much KH-hype given 1.5 just came out, 2.5 was announced, and 3 is on the way. If a lot of people drop KH after the SoD saga then that figure would depreciate in value (assuming they are planning on reselling it, I really want them to honestly lol xD).

I really hope they auction off another figure like that in the future, but someone I'd be willing to drop a lot on. Honestly, I wouldn't spend that much for Riku or someone else, probably just Sora or Aqua <_< Sora because he's the main character, Aqua needs no explanation :p

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Or the price could go down. I really all depends on how popular KH stays over the years. Right now is a prime time for it to skyrocket because there is so much KH-hype given 1.5 just came out, 2.5 was announced, and 3 is on the way. If a lot of people drop KH after the SoD saga then that figure would depreciate in value (assuming they are planning on reselling it, I really want them to honestly lol xD).

I really hope they auction off another figure like that in the future, but someone I'd be willing to drop a lot on. Honestly, I wouldn't spend that much for Riku or someone else, probably just Sora or Aqua <_< Sora because he's the main character, Aqua needs no explanation :p

If they want to resell it for the money, then I'd assume that it'd be around the release date of KH3, or probably right after. It's sure to attract a lot of people, casual and die-hard fans alike. Imagine how much the figure would sell, and the money this seller who has the figure in possession right now can get back as profit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back